Old 04-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4212
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry

Gajine Flintshard
Male Half-Orc Cleric of the Forge

Squeezing into the workshop it felt...tiny. Well the man was a halfling afterall so it made sense. It was a respectable workshop by all means, just too damn small. His parents were short - well not as short as halfings, and their workshop was large! What the hells Jebrin?!

He returned his belt and shield to their proper place when Mrs. Silverset helped him back to his feet but only now recalled his bandana. With a quick motion he dipped into his pouch and retrieved it and fastened it on almost knocking some tools off the wall. He quickly moved and stopped them from falling as Jeb made his way to the center of the room. The half-orc was eyeing all the tools laying about. How could someone let them get this bad?! No... this was possibly the normal for those who didn't live in a forge. Well, he gave his word and Ma didn't raise no quitter. He handed over the hide and winced when Jeb asked who butchered it.
"Kin only do so good when ta basterd were spewin flames from its sauce-box!" he began plucking the tools he knew were needed immediately as he slowly moved through the cramped space. "On ta plus side, gave a show fer whataver Council members stayed behind" he gave a wry laugh remembering the song and the anger shown to him for making a mess of the room - course that mess didn't last long, was still enjoyable.

He picked a spot where he felt he could focus on the tools he plucked and adjusted his belt to easily grab any needed tools. He felt he would start with the skinning knife. They needed to remove impurities first...what constituted as impure on a hellhound? Regardless, then they would need to salt it before its lime bath. All which would take time, time that he was going to make for this process. When Jeb inquired his intentions he simply replied "No clue. Tha lass wanted leather, I kin make leather - tha's about it." his cheery tone was quickly fading as he began to dive into work mode. After inspecting the blade he retrieved a small smith's toolswhet stone from his pouch and began to sharpen it. Once it was done he'd hand it back to Jeb for inspection and use. He would then move on one after another casting mending on any that showed fractures in their handles or cracks in their body. He would continue until the job is finished.

OOCGajine is focused solely on repairing tools and getting this leather made for Vesper. He will skip dinner if that is what it takes.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4259
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Lady Vilthal

She smiled a little at the shop owner's question, replying as she placed a single gold piece on the counter. "Th' theory is that gold is more receptive to enchantment magic. There's a few different methods but th' one I know involves sewing specific runes and symbols into an article of clothing or armor that can contain th' magic held in th' needle. That's... th' simple explanation without gettin' too in-depth." She did a little gesture of thanks to the shop owner before storing the needle carefully in her expansive toolbelt.

Stat Block

Old 04-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3342
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Paranoia
right-aligned image
It must have been the speed at which Olivia entered or the peel of distant thunder outside before the door closed that set Gordon to high alert. If it was or wasn't, the words that came from the girl they had just met put his mind to spinning. It was not the innocent greetings. It was the odd phrasing that caught his elven ears, Back in my day, lightning would strike six times for every boom of thunder. It was something similar to the words someone else he knew would use in front of him when she couldn't excuse herself. Lightning...danger. Six...there were six of them from X-2 now, now that Sparksy had disappeared. Boom...was an attack on them planned? Gordon's eyes widened at the revelation. Other words were spoken, but then the keay phrase was spoken by Jebrin: Back in my day, and then the rain sustained the crop and overflowed into the riverbeds. Now, we've barely little water even though the heavens pour down more often then before. This was more difficult. Overflow...overwhelming force. Barely little water...they didn't have the numbers to try to eliminate X-2 yet! Gordon's heart was racing. It took everything in him to not draw his pistols and back out of the shop with Gajine.

Ivy turned her attention on him and he See actionstried to smile as if he didn't know what they were plotting. He had to alert Gajine and get back to the others. They didn't know he knew yet. He would bide his time.

Olivia disappeared with the girl, for who knows what purpose and Gordon and Gajine were lead back to a back room. Gordon tried to rectify what he knew of Olivia or thought he knew with her plotting. She seemed kind enough but she was waiting for them in Merchant's rest...away from the protection of the other house guards.
She made sure to run after Kiirion to keep them all together. She didn't alert them to the danger of the creeper vine she knew was there, but she helped attack it when the battle came. She had even hugged him...

As Gajine and Jeb looked over the workshop, Gordon furiously patted himself down looking for anything she might have pick pocketed from him in the awkward embrace. It was all falling in line in a bad way.

He had to wait until Jeb left them to speak and eventually he did as Gajine tended to the leather worker's tools. "Gajine," he hissed quietly and grabbed the half-orc's tunic, "I can not explain here but I believe this family means us harm. They may be hired or allied with Villex. Dinner may be an excuse to keep us here while they gather enough villians to dispatch us. Olivia and her machine may be bounty hunters or assassins, I don't know which. We need to get out of here and warn the others." As ridiculous as his words seemed, the gunslinger was deadly serious.

Actions
Dice Persuasion or deception:
1d20+2 (18)+2 Total = 20

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 04-28-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
A gentleman’s warning
right-aligned image
He listened whilst he worked running the whet stone along the dulled leatherworking knife slowly and expertly sharpening it like he’s done time and time before. He had come to trust the gentleman to a certain extent. Yes, they had a disagreement just yesterday over the handling of the drow who assaulted them. That didn’t mean he hadn’t earned the half-orc’s trust though. He was an intelligent man and crafted those beautiful weapons he wielded with deadly RIP random MR chickenprecision and had the gift of gab as well as could expertly talk through seemingly any situation. Something Gajine had lacked.

He paused the whet stone processing the words that came from the gentleman not looking up from his work. He had just groveled before these people to use this shop now he was to run?

"Once tha leather is done." he said in a calm manner. He was in work mode, nothing was going to stop him from making this leather. Not a group of assassin halfings or whatever nor even Villex himself. He thought for a second before resuming his work."…If we need ta go on tha attack before then mention me lord’s title. Ye have me trust Gordon, but I gave tha lass me word." there was unlikely to be another leatherworker’s shop for miles. He needed finish it here or not at all but he was a man of his word, complete failure was not an option.

Last edited by Retry; 04-29-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 932
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Kiirion
right-aligned image

It was a huge sense of relief to know that Kiirion could at least get his incense here, even if he had to go elsewhere for the herbs it would get him one step closer to getting Filia back. He hadn't expected the little shop to have so much incense, but a brick worth 20 gold could last him a long time. "The brick would be fine." Before making his purchase, Kiirion decided to explore the shop a little bit and see if he could find any magic books or scrolls. During that time, he caught a glimpse of Vesper going up and talking to the shopkeeper, but thought nothing of it. Finding no magic items, he returned to the front of the shop.

When Kiirion started taking out the gold to pay for the incense, the shopkeeper informs him that Vesper had already paid for it. A look of surprise crossed over Kiirion's features. That was very kind of Vesper, and something he hadn't been expecting. Perhaps she was trying to apologize for the trouble she caused yesterday. Kiirion looked at the disguised girl with a smile. Gods he really needed to see if he could fix that card box for her. How could he hold a grudge against someone like that? As much as a pain as she could be, Vesper really was sweet. "I have one more question then. Do you have any books on magic or spell scrolls that I might be able to look at?" With the gold he had, hopefully he could get something, if there was anything to get. He didn't actually need the scroll past copying the spell, maybe he could give it Vesper when he was done as a thanks?

Dice Persuasion for magic books:
d20-1 (19)-1 Total = 18
Old 04-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Doubt demands an audienceGajine's nonplussed response and lack of urgency did nothing to calm Gordon's mind. But as the moments in the workshop ticked ever on and Jebrin did not appear with a hatchet man to dispatch them, doubt began to creep into his mind. All the damning evidence plucked from the events of the past day seemed to weaken at their edges providing daylight and holes to the bloody narrative. Gajine hummed and sharpened. No one came.

The longer this went on, the more Gordon stewed on his paranoia. His eyes narrowed at the poisoning effect his unplanned profession had played on his mind. When your life revolved around crime and deceit and the vilest nature of society, you tend to see it everywhere. To a hammer, every problem is a nail, so they said. To a bounty hunter, everything is a hidden motive. Reginald Kalbast had no such weakness. His father was smarter than any man he knew, or perhaps more cunning which to Gordon was the true test of intellect. He remembered trying to emulate the man as a boy. But he was never the cold and calculating man his father was. In the end, Reginald wanted nothing, needed nothing, played life as a series of games to be won or lost until he could win every time. His father had nothing to lose that could not be re-won, and with that mindset, he had nothing to fear. Gordon feared. Gordon loved. Some part of him wanted to be as cold and calculating as his father had been. It seemed freeing. But one can only counter nature with the barest shell of nurture. He developed a persona to mute the intensity of feeling if he could not be rid of it. Manners, rituals, a steady demeanor, these were his veneer.

Gordon took a breath and stood up slowly, pacing out of the small workshop with hardly a motion of his long coat. If the cleric noticed he didn't stop him. The gunslinger's mind was focused now. He tried to channel his father as he made his way up the narrow stairs quietly. He heard the last bit of conversation between Olivia and Ellie in the girl's room. His timing could not have been better. He ducked back into the dark stair as Olivia passed half dressed to the washroom. M.A.C remained in the girl's room.

When the door to the washroom opened again, Gordon was there, filling up the small doorway. He walked her back into the small room and struggled to close the door as the two almost filled up the small space. "I promise you no harm. I regret the need for such offensive action." None of the easy smile or abashed humility was there on his face, but neither was there malice in his eyes. "I need you to disabuse me of a notion, and I need you to do it quickly and alone. Do not lie. I promise you, I will know. I have great expertise in dealing with liars. Tell me the meaning of the secret words you and the Silverset shared. I will not let harm come to my companions." The two were practically pressed together in the room with grey light from a small window. Pulling weapons, pistols especially, would be difficult at best. Gordon seemed unconcerned. His hands lay relaxed at his side, his coat closed, his guns out of view and out of reach.

ActionsI don't roll dice against other players.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:23 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2678
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Olivia
left-aligned image

Olivia had no sooner opened the washroom door before she walked literally straight into Gordon, who forced her back into the small room that was barely comfortable for one person to occupy. Before she was all the way back in the room her switchblade, which she always kept close, was in her hand, level with the man's midsection.

Her eyes widened at his accusations, his questions. She had been a smuggler and an enemy of the state for a long time. She'd taken precautions. She had different names in every state, she protected and sheltered those she cared about, and there were codes upon codes used between her and her contacts. She'd been under suspicion before, even found out, but those men didn't live long and none had confronted her so openly. Then again, she'd never let any of them gain her trust before. Her mind raced, trying to piece things together. 'How could they have known I'd be here? Why send six people? Why had they helped Andwair? To gain my trust? The Loriens were never so subtle, maybe they outsourced. The orc wandered around for hours 'lost,' was he reporting back or getting reinforcements? If so it was a clever rouse. Did they kill Eustus?! They were the last ones to see him alive. He did wait until MAC wasn't here to confront me. MAC...is he in trouble? What about Ellie?'

As her mind raced she went from shocked and afraid to furious. She pushed the blade into the man's armor just enough to let him know it was there. "If you harm a single hair on the head of anyone in this family I swear to all of the gods above and below that you will be in agony for every minute remaining in your very. short. life." She was almost growling now between clenched teeth, "How did the Loriens know how to find us? Are there more coming? What are the others in your group doing? Is Andwair unharmed?" By this time her eyes were beginning to water, "where is MAC?" she asked, all the time silently chiding herself for being so careless.

Stat Block - Olivia

Old 04-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Doubt demands an audienceGordon felt the press of the small blade into a plate around his abdomen. His body instinctively made ready to turn if she decided to push the point home. He had seen her fight and he had no illusions about her ability to overwhelm him. But her posture was defensive. He squinted his eyes. "We did not come here to harm anyone. Certainly not children and innocent shop keepers. We came to enjoy a drink and do some shopping. MAC and Ellie are where you left them. We do not work for the Loriens, Olivia, but I had no qualms dispatching your assassin friend at the council. I do not abide cutthroats and murderers. Tell me how many more of your agents are coming for us. We want nothing to do with your politics, but I will defend my own. You didn't go "to check on your ship" did you? You went to send word to your masters." He pressed his body toward her, almost daring her to make her move. "And you came running back to this shop to let your fellow conspirator know. "Lightning." "Six." "Boom." "Overflow." It was brazen of you to discuss our deaths in front of us. "

Old 04-29-2019, 02:53 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Olivia
left-aligned image

Olivia's eyes narrowed on the elf, trying to navigate the crazed words coming out of his mouth. Ellie and MAC were probably okay, she hadn't heard any shouts or combat of any kind - and his companions were anything but subtle, if the experiences last night were a testament to anything. Still, they'd proven capable, and dangerous for those in their way.

"If you're not with the Loriens why were you at their council. And what assassin? Do I look like the type of girl who is afraid to get her hands dirty? If I wanted you dead you would be, and I'd have handled it myself," she immediately regretted the last line as it came out, mostly because she was very VERY unsure that it was true. She'd seen his almost supernatural accuracy with his weapons, but she'd taken a stance so now she had to roll with it. She was fighting the urge to bolt, in any way that she had to, her eyes taking on an almost ethereal sheen.

"I won't tell you where the ship is. I'm not so stupid that I'd fall for such a simple trick. No one comes to Merchant's Rest for a good meal, have you seen Andwair's place? You better come up with a better excuse, and fast."

She had started dolling out her own accusations as soon as he'd finished. The conversation resembled something more akin to a paranoid fist fight, each participant bobbing and weaving while trying to throw their own punches, than a heated argument occurring between two grown adults in a somewhat compromising position. She answered his inquiries one by one in the order he'd thrown them out as if checking off a shopping list, until she finally reached the last of his accusations. The grip on her knife faltered a bit as she lost confidence in her understanding of the situation. 'It's a trick, she thought, 'he's clever and charismatic and he knows it. He's trying to catch me off balance.' Still, part of her wanted to believe him. It had been a long time since she'd trusted anyone new and this group quite literally barged into her life and gained that trust in the course of a night. To think that they meant harm to the people she cared for and she'd let them in was unfathomable.

"Which of the Silversets are the 'conspirators' you speak of, looking to harm you and your friends? The man who just lost his father and is helping your friend? How about the woman barely over half your size currently wielding a ladle and making dinner for you. Or perhaps, the twelve year old upstairs is your archnemesis - lurking here since she was a baby hoping you'd stop in one rainy day for a good 'drink,'" she accosted him, almost mockingly.

He pressed closer, clearly unconcerned about his safety, his eyes drilling holes deep into her. She backed into the wall a bit further. The man had to be half a foot taller than her, and pressed this close together she found herself having to stare up at him. "In fact, if I wanted to kill you MAC and I could have left you to that damned vine that was pulling you towards some gruesome looking fangs," she said, before cutting herself off. She'd been rambling like she always did when she was nervous and she caught herself biting her lip. 'I need to get out of this room,' she thought. Hesitating, she decided to throw in a little bit of truth for good measure, hoping to absolve the Silversets of any problems she might be bringing them. "He was telling me that there's a problem with their water. The stream is running dry. Ellie just told me there's a monster in the storm grate, keeping the water from running." She searched his face for any inclination of what was going through his head, "These are a kind people, but it's a small community and they don't trust anyone, with good reason."

Stat Block - Olivia

Last edited by DaysUntold; 04-29-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2193
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Little Wares

Appreciating the Artificer's explanation, the shop keep smiles and pushes her large glasses closer to her eyes, now looking back towards Kiirion. Her brow raises a bit with his question and she sort of bobs her head left to right, in agreement.."We do.. Im not sure the owner would be too happy to part with anything like that though unless full price is met. We have two scrolls..." she begins and reaches under the counter to produce two, finely wrapped in leather and both encased in glass tubes, scrolls. "This one..." she says, opening the first of glass tubes, sliding the scroll from the case.." Is called Heartstop and the other," Points without opening it.." Is called Winding Key. Both are Second Level spells. I'm not exactly sure what either do, but their prices are 530 Gold for Heartstop and 300 for Winding Key."

Old 04-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Olivia & Gordon

Gordon stood straight, silent and defiant as Olivia listed off the various holes in his theory. He had thought of them all in the long moments in the workshop. Anything could be explained by cunning. The most innocent could sometimes be the most devious. She might have had orders to keep him alive to get information out of him specifically. Anything was possible within the mind of paranoia. Indeed, anything was probable. But it were the last words that gave him pause. There was a slackening of muscles which had been primed for defense. Their faces were so close in the washroom that a tiny fleck of spittle had hit him. His eyes went back and forth at hers where before they were trained solidly. The truth. He could tell she was being truthful. Those last statements weren't defensive or offensive, they simply were.

The man took his half step back away from her. "Forgive me," he said, not as a request but as a polite admission of being wrong. His voice was soft, almost pained. "I had to see it in your eyes. Alone." His hands raised up empty. As he said, he never intended to harm her, even if his assumptions had come true. He brought them down slowly on her shoulders and he felt the corded muscles of a sailor not long from work. "You must understand I would never hurt this family. I thought you meant my friends harm...and I could not let that stand. I have lived many years around those who speak in code because their forked tongues find it difficult to speak anything else. I let my past condemn you. Please forgive me." This time it was a request. His long fingers squeezed Olivia's shoulders gently.

Olivia was caught off guard by his sudden change in tone, and almost relaxed until he spoke again. "I had to see it in your eyes. Alone. " Panic flooded through her once more. Had her eyes betrayed her? As he brought his arms up, she flinched, an action which was barely, if at all, noticeable by him, but to her it felt like she had ducked down and thrown her hands over her head. Shame and embarrassment flooded through her, her face turning a flush red. She was so caught up with her own reaction that she barely noticed his next movement until his hands were on her shoulders. She was suddenly glad she was distracted, otherwise the reaction to his hands seemingly going for her neck might have resulted in a much more dramatic outcome. But he hadn't, and she wondered what else she'd been reading too much into, 'what is wrong with me today.'

The whole situation had her flustered. He was talking her down, and it seemed genuine, but he also hadn't answered any of her questions. "Why were you with the council? What is it you do that has you accusing random strangers of plotting to kill your friends? What is so special about all of you anyways?" She managed to stammer out a couple of the things still lingering on her mind. "And, what's wrong with my eyes?? Why did you need to see them?" She sounded more defensive than she would have liked, but she was still torn between concern for her own safety and her desire to trust the person in front of her. The longer he stood there with his hands on her shoulders the more relaxed she felt, but she wouldn't be sure until she got some answers.

She hadn't forgiven him. It was reasonable given that he had accused her of something no one should be accused of, least of all a someone who possibly had saved his life. Gordon listen to her questions quietly. She saw it fit to ask them a second time proving their importance. That she was worried about the Loriens said something about her but at the moment Gordon didn't care.

"The council saw us to judge our Mana inventions to be submitted at the Inventors Faire." He said plainly, because to him it was nothing special. "Until that time yesterday I had never met any of the council. Nor, do I expect any of the others had either. While there, a villain came with a fire breathing dog, attempting to kill someone in the chamber. We responded with violence and defended the people there with no weapons to defend themselves." He paused then, still looking at her wondering what she was thinking, trying to come up with an answer to her next questions. "I cannot speak for the others, but there is nothing special about me." He said it without humility, just as a point of fact. "Yet I...yet we find ourselves in the middle of strange events. Perhaps we can all discuss it together if not over dinner, then later." He smiled at the strangeness of the Star Elf and the assassin and the meeting with Lady Blue and the events in Merchant's Rest. "And as for me, I'm reluctant to say much about my past life as I had hoped to leave it behind. Suffice it to say, that there were people throughout Scarlanoa who had found no justice within their state I needed someone like me to right that lapse. I left Clifton to start anew, to find adventure, and", he chuckled, "I suppose I truly have."

Olivia listened closely to his words, searching for any signs of deception. 'The Faire... of course, how could I have forgotten, she thought. The fact that the council was judging the inventions was the entire reason she hadn't gone herself. Well, that and the fact that her invention wasn't working properly yet. What was supposed to be technology meant to identify hidden fallen Aasimar currently only pointed out Kobolds, which was of little to no use to anyone, especially herself. She inwardly smiled at the idea of a firebreathing dog taking down a room of Loriens, but only for a moment before guilt flooded through her. Many of them were innocent, brought up in the situation that plagued Scarlanoa, but not actively participating in the purge of those she worked to save. Still, it was hard to feel bad for people like that when she saw so many people die because of the hubris that allowed one sect of a race to execute the others as criminals just for existing.

He had given her an explanation, one that aligned with her own story a little too well, and he deserved one as well. She opened her mouth to speak, about to give one, but she hesitated and caution overtook her once more. Instead she sighed, "I see, I'm sorry then, for questioning you. Honestly, your business here is none of my concern, as long as you mean the people here no harm." her words trailed off as she thought over what he had said. They did seem to bring strange occurrences with them. Even in her line of work, her days were rarely as chaotic as the last one had been, and the trend seemed to be continuing.
Finally, her smile returned, eyes bright again. "Oh! and I do have an airship," she said proudly. She wrinkled her nose and added on quickly, "well, it's not mine. I captain it as part of," she caught herself, barely. "Eventually I'll have my own, or buy this one from Zayne, if he lets me. I've been trying to save up to upgrade it. Tha-" she cut herself off, once more finding herself rambling. "Sorry," she apologized, shifting a bit, "anyways, yea, we can talk more about everything at dinner."

She made a note that he was from Clifton. If he really was, Sipper might know more about him and how much he could be trusted. Next time she was in town she'd have to remember to ask him.

Gordon had dropped his hands and now found it awkward to find a place to put them. "It is no problem," he said "You were owed an explanation. I feel like a heel." He rubbed the back of his neck and it tilted his hat slightly forward. At the mention of her ship, his eyes widened. "An airship! How grand! No wonder you asked if I were after it. I've never been on one, much less piloted one, so you needn't concern yourself there! Gajine's invention as I recall was specifically designed for use on airships. You might want to ask him about it and I'm sure he would pay good money to see your craft. "

He turned sideways and opened the door to the washroom. Cool, fresh air flooded the stuffy box they had been crammed in. "Please, after you." He bowed minimally and motioned with an elegant hand because any more and she wouldn't be able to squeeze by. He saw now in the brighter light the clothes she had changed into. "Interesting attire. I do know a tailor..." He teased.

The cool air from the door opening was a welcome relief. Olivia hadn't realized how stuffy it had gotten while they were in there. She rolled her eyes and let out a small laugh at his overtly gentlemanlike ways, as if he hadn't just cornered her in the washroom. Still, she squeezed by him which proved impossible to do without brushing up against him, making the gesture significantly less chivalrous than he had originally intended and she almost tripped coming out of the small room.

No sooner had she gotten her balance then she heard him teasing. Her face flushed red again, and an eyebrow raised at him, "You know," she said, looking him up and down, "I lied." She paused, purposely. At his questioning look she continued, smiling, "Ivy could have taken you, ladle and all," she teased back before turning abruptly and heading for the stairs. She wasn't even sure that it wasn't true, Ivy could hold her own, even if she didn't look like it.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2193
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Time to Dine.

As the afternoon wears on, you realize the rain becomes less and less. A few hard gusts of warm jungle air occasionally make their way through the rolling plains of Merchant's Rest, but the monsoon has descended from ominous to a dreary sprinkle. High clouds cover the beginning of an evening sun far to the west on a horizon obscured with the large storm system still traveling through the state of ScarlaNoa and over the mountains. The temperature is balmy and the humidity the system leaves in it's wake continues to rise, the warm winds doing little to evaporate the heavy moisture in the region.

Vilthal, Kirrion and Vesper finish their shopping excursion through the shanty town, dodging rain drops and heavy gusts of wind as they go from one shop to another. The Kitchens, though open, was less interesting then Little Wares, the busy staff tending to their normal daily work loads. The manager provides Kiirion with some of their more common products, mostly a variety of cooking herbs that they have an abundance of. Thyme, Basil and Chives, while also producing a few holistic wares of Ginger and Milk Thistle for a slightly higher price tag.

The seamstress shop was closed though while at the Kitchens you bumped into her and she quickly let you browse her wares, happy to accept your coin for the silk thread. She also let you know that if you needed anything other then what she had within her shop, she would gladly put in an order from her parent company located in Clifton. You could either pick it up there or back here when you were ready, regardless.

As evening falls, the shops that had been briefly open through the storm now begin to close, all except The Hair of the Bear, which seems as dull as it had the night before when you arrived, and the shop/residence across the street where Gajine, Gordon and Oliva had mentioned earlier that day they were going to visit. The Silverset Leather Company sign swings back and forth with the evening breeze, iron lantern streetlights, attached to the entrance of the building, signal that it is still open for business. The sound of a hammer against metal rings from the blacksmith further down to the west side of the town. Grey smoke rises from the chimney of the Kitchens building you're just leaving, the smell of hickory and smoked meats filter through with the occasional stronger gusts of wind.

At last, the rain finally stops.
left-aligned image

Ellie watched in awe and child-eyed wonder as Olivia and the Elf man with the big hat argued. It wasn't that big of a home and when their voices began to reach her ears, her legs just reacted instantly to listen in. They didn't see her there, peaking from her brother's room where she had went after Oliva had left to change. In truth, she was already snooping around through his things to find anything interesting he may have been hiding when he'd come home the last time from Boury. Quiet as a mouse, she tip toed away from the keyhole she watched through and back into her room when they had finished.

With Olivia's help, dinner was finished being prepared. Chickens roasting on an open fireplace spit, a metal tray of fresh broccoli and kidney beans being steamed above while a kettle of tea is brewed beside the chicken from a metal line that moves in unison with the spit. The spit is surprising automatic, turning without any manual aid. The power source, a very small steam engine of sorts that insets in the brick of the hearth. It's gears turn while the exhaust pumps out and through the chimney along with the smoke. Occasionally someone refuels it with the charcoal from the fire and pours a few ounces of water into a side chamber. The little invention was worthy of any steam era inventor, but this one was Ellie's first of many that the Silversets not only used but boasted about openly. Many of the shops and residents homes, had similar mechanisms as well now.

Jebrin and Gajine finally appear from the workshop. Smudged with the day's labor upon work aprons, one of which Jeb had given Gajine to wear while he worked on the leather soaks, along with thick leather gloves and a pair of heavy glasses that stretched from ear to ear. The glasses instantly steamed up with the humidity, and when they emerged from the back and into the main room of the home, Jebrin showed Gajine the washroom to clean up at as he, too, disappeared to do the same. Ivy and Olivia conversed as a short wooden table was being set with enough dinnerware to accommodate the extra three guests and a spot was cleared for MAC as well. "Everyone's been fine dear, nothing out of the norm I suppose...you know.. just settling into things here. A big change from Clifton life...though I can't complain. Lollie found work over in Boury, Estus made sure of that..." She paused and shrugged her shoulders, shaking her head..."He's a good lad, but i have to admit, I'm glad he's not here right now... likes to talk, that one. The less he understands of... " again pauses and sighs..."of all this, the better for now."

Ivy looks to Olivia, something in her face signaling her concern. " This business with ... the refugee's...is a lot Olivia. I don't know how you do it." She speaks quietly, knowing that everyone is starting to come together for dinner..."Lets talk more before you leave. Right now, there's nothing to mention in any case" Ivy picks up the fresh loaf of wheat bread, crackling with golden crust and sprinkled with rosemary and newly turned butter. As she sets the table, Gordon arrives through the open front doors, carrying three bottles of wine from a quick visit to The Kitchens. While he was there, he bumps into Vesper, Vilthal and Kiirion, explaining what Gajine is doing and their invite to the Silverset's Dinner table.

-OoCDM-
Shopping seems wrapped up, unless Vesper needed something not yet mentioned. (or I forgot)

Ellie overheard Olivia and Gordon's entire conversation rolling against both your passive perception. She got a 22. (the roll is in Discord).

Gajine has spent 6 hours of time working on this leather. It's now soaking in a tub to cure. You can either pick it up tomorrow and finish it with Jeb or have Jeb finish it and pick it up later in the day. It will take 10 more hours to finish the Brine Curing. You can Roll to speed things up or just let it organically progress, up to you. The DC Pool to finish it is set at 100 due to the time it needs to actually cure. (That's 10 an hour )( Of course.. if you want to try and speed things along through the night and sneak in , I won't stop you. Jeb might. But I wont lol. Just leaving you with as many options as I can think of )

Vilthal bought one of each color spool of silk thread. White, Ivory and Black. Totalling 3 silver pieces.

Kiirion bought 10 gold worth of Incense at the General Store and 5 gold worth of Herbs (3 gold of medicinal and 2 of common) at the Kitchens. Gordon bought 3 uncommon bottles of imported wine for 10 Silver from the Kitchens as well.

Vesper bought three books and Vilthal also acquired a golden needle from the Little Wares store as well.

Last edited by MeredithS; 05-01-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics

Gajine Flintshard
Male Half-Orc Cleric of the Forge

Flip of the hatJeb had left him to his sharpening and mending of the dulled tools. This was the type of work he had done day in and day out for the past just over the decade, weapons weren't his specialty - no. Reiola saw to that. That's not to say he couldn't forge a weapon, no, Boldrid taught him right. He just valued tools and items meant to protect and help lives instead of take them. While he was sharpening the leather working knife his eyes traced the blade's edge with each stroke of the whet stone. He had been utterly useless in the past two bouts they had as a group. He was incapable of felling that hellhound - Master Kiirion did that for him, and he was unsure of what happened to that plant. All he knew was it laughed at his attempt to take its life. A plant, laughed at him. He snarled whilst continuing to work.

Gordon left him some time ago worried that the Silversets were plotting against the group, it was hard to believe such a thing but Gordon was a far deal more intelligent and experienced than he was. He let him know that he would be ready to fight if needed trying not to let the gunslinger catch on that he didn't want to hurt these fine folk. Yet, to show otherwise would signal he didn't trust the half-elf - which he did. Once Gordon was out of the room the half-orc let out a heavy sigh before finishing up the knife. He would have to do something to be of more use to his comrades. He just didn't know what, combat was never really his thing outside of those who thought they could have some fun picking on one of the only orcs in Red Chester.

Sometime later the gunslinger reappeared while Gajine was re-affixing the wooden bolts of the stitching pony to tell him to ignore his concept from before and he didn't need the code word. What had happened that changed him so quickly? As fast as he reappeared he was gone again leaving the cleric to his work. "Odd..." he muttered looking at the door for a moment more then went back to tapping out one of the old bolts with a mallet to replace it.

Once he was all done with his repairs he went to fetch Jeb so they could begin taking care of the hide.

A good habbitHe had forgotten since its been so long. He hated curing leather. Part of his learning of the trade was to learn how the various parts that are often accompanied on a weapon, tool, or piece of armor were made. This meant he had to at least experience the other trades. He learned he enjoyed carpentry and wood-carving a great deal, it was like a more natural way of forging, but leather working? That was nothing but natural and dear gods did the smell drive him up a wall. But...he gave his word to Vesper, she was probably his first friend ever when he really thought about it. The (crazed) gunslinger was the second. Making two friends so quickly like this was one of the reasons he enjoyed this group and wanted to stay with them. Even if that meant having to do this horrid chore.

When all was said and done and it was time to let it soak in brine Jeb lead Gajine out of the shop and to a washroom to remove all the salt, body fats/grease, and other substances off his arms and hands. Coming out to see the table being set he cracked a smile thinking of home. They hardly ever ate at the table together but seeing dinner table like this one couldn't help but think "family." Doing so made him slightly miss his even though he's been gone for less than a week. Doing his best to stay out of Ivy and Olivia's way he took a seat at the table and pulled out his journal and dutifully began to write in it. Putting down what's happened, the chaos that has ensued, as well as an idea that crept into his head while he worked. If all goes well he would be able to make it soon. Wasn't Vesper requesting he teach her the basics of forging? This might be a decent project for her to start with, it wasn't too hard. He'd have to handle one portion of it but he was sure she could handle the rest with no problem after seeing SnakeBite. He stopped writing for a moment and pondered if she had a brand that she used on her inventions or not before he continued once more. As food is set on the table he would try and pull back if needed to provide more space whilst still writing/drawing like a mad man.

Around the time that Gordon and the rest of the crew arrived he closed his journal and slipped it back into his holy pouch and gave them all a happy grin. This was his first time having a family dinner this large. He couldn't wait to experience it.

OOCGoing to let Jeb handle the rest, I'll have him mention it when they're all at the table.

Last edited by Retry; 05-01-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4259
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Lady Vilthal

The shopping trip, while soggy, had Vilthal in good spirits. She now had what she needed to help store a spell in whomever wanted it in just about any common article of clothing or some armors. She regularly checked the gold needle she had purchased to make sure it wasn't being bent where she had stored it in her toolbelt. With Kiirion and Vesper acquiring what they wanted they bumped into Gordon at the Kitchens buying herbs. The mustacheo'd man had extended an invite to the place they planned to have dinner that evening, in a home across from the Hair of the Bear tavern. Vilthal shook her head at the offer. "Sounds nice an' all Gordon, but I can't leave jobs half-done. It'll drive me nuts t'know that frakkin' still" She shoots a pointed look at Vesper before looking back to him. "is sittin' there half-done. Best try an' finish it ASAP."

With coin spent and goods acquired the Elf bade her allies to enjoy a homecooked meal as she entered the less rundown-looking tavern. She gave a little wave to Andwair behind the bar, commenting, "Didn't get th' chance to check out that water situation today what with th' storm an' all. We got it on our list though." Seating herself at a table in the corner she brings the half-finished still with her and starts working on it throughout much of the evening.
Dice Tinkering for still:
1d20+7 (14)+7 Total = 21
Dice Tinkering w/Adv.:
1d20+7 (13)+7 Total = 20
Very much hard at work over this project when everyone returns from dinner. Strangely, there seemed to be something else among the bits of metal and screws that was making up the various chambers and tubing before the tinkering woman. A very square, smallish container with some rough holes cut into it. About... six? There was certainly a lot of bits and pieces inside this box at that moment but whatever it was it made Vilthal smile a little each time she looked up from her current task at it.

Stat Block

Last edited by Tyeal; 05-01-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Olivia
left-aligned image

Olivia was a far throw from a chef, but the work in the kitchen was calming and distracting - two things she needed after the incident with the half-elf - and Ivy was amazing in the kitchen, more than making up for Olivia's lack of skill. So, she set about doing simple things like plucking the chickens, washing and peeling vegetables, and refilling the mechanism used to turn the spit.

She listened to the woman as they were putting out plates and flatware, noticing the anxiousness in her voice. A twinge of guilt went through her heart as she mentioned the position Lollie was now thrust into. He was much too young to be involved, and too talkative twice over. She thought back to her encounter upstairs with Gordon and imagined the boy having to endure something similar or navigating through a web of deceit designed to get information from him. "I know, Ivy..." she said, cautiously. "If-" she hesitated, "if it's too much I'll find another way. I owe your family so much as it is. If not for Estus..." she said trailing off. 'If not for Estus I wouldn't be here,' she thought, but didn't need to finish the sentence. Ivy knew. "Anyways," she said, her voice faultering a bit, "It's easier for me and MAC, it's all we have." She flashed a reassuring smile at Ivy, putting the last plate down before her. She walked over and put a hand down on the woman's arm, speaking quietly, "We'll talk more, I promise."

Off to the side, Olivia cleared off a crate that had become MAC's unofficial spot in the home. Jebrin and Gajine had returned looking warn from hours of hard labor but Ellie and MAC were missing, probably still upstairs, and she'd seen Gordon leave shortly after he'd come back down. With everything just about ready, she made her way to the bottom of the stairs and called up for MAC and Ellie to make their way down.

Above her, she heard the thumping of metallic feet against the rough wooden floors followed by the much faster rhythm of a little girl trying to keep up. Smiling, she made her way back to the kitchen to help with any last minute preparations. Gajine was sitting down, writing in a small notebook and she couldn't help but wonder what it was about. She wasn't nosy, really, more curious than anything - and the events of the past two days had done nothing to diminish that. If anything, she was intrigued as to what could have brought such a chaotic group of people together.

Stat Block - Olivia

Last edited by DaysUntold; 05-01-2019 at 05:22 PM.