RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12452
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Valtakunta

Game NameValtakunta
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeThe ties that bind – home, family, community.
FlavourClassic, heroic fantasy with a twist; sand-box; homebrew world; mild “Old West” feel (no guns, trains, or telegraphs)
Plot SummaryPlot summary: The heroes deal with evil plots and troubles plaguing an independent trade city in the middle of nowhere.

Campaign details
right-aligned image

Setting: The adventure will take place in and around the city of Argillon Falls, on the southern shores of Lake Harbladt. The lake and the city provide a much needed oasis for traders travelling between the kingdoms to the east and west. The city is independent of any other rule. The current king is fair yet firm, and maintains a small army, mostly used to patrol the roads. Law and order is kept by a marshal, the courts, and a set of well-established laws designed to keep violence to a minimum but allow trade to flourish. More than a few miles outside of the city limits is fairly lawless. Bandits, Goblins, and predators are a frequent problem.

Climate: The region is high plains – dry and cool. It snows (lightly) each winter. Rainfall is sporadic at best. Water, fresh off the glaciers of the Stonehorn Mountains north of the city cascades down the falls into the lake, providing cold water for the city. Surrounding the lake is a sparse forest of pine, spruce, and fir trees.

About the story: My aim in this campaign is to portray a group of heroes that really do get to be heroes. It’s a classic fantasy setting but with twist to make it a little different. The old races of the world (Elves, Dwarves, etc.) are no more, allowing the formerly few and isolated races to flourish – and learn to appreciate each other. Lizardmen, Firbolg, Goliaths, and more are now the norm. You’ll find Kenku traders, Tabaxi craftsmen, and Triton soldiers. Argillon Falls exists far from other civilization and is greatly on-its-own in regards to most affairs. While it maintains peaceful relations with every culture it can, there is no foreign, military presence anywhere nearby.

What to expect: the PC are going to be the heroes of this story. However, I shall not be railroading you into the plot(s) I have in mind. I plan to drop hints of quests and plots but it’s up to the PCs what they engage in. I do expect that the PCs will know each other and have a reason for working together – and that the players will figure out what that reason it. (We’ll have a “session zero” before the game really gets rolling.) Your characters will have ties to people in the city. What friends and family live here? Who do you know? Perhaps they are people that can help out the heroes with information, shelter, or goods to sell. Perhaps they'll need or demand something from you.

Player content: This world is very much in the process of being created. I have not worked out every detail to be sure. Player ideas will be considered and incorporated in the culture and fabric of this world, subject to my approval for the sake of consistency and game balance. Some things will be created as needed; if a player has an idea for some detail that has yet to be defined, then please present it to me. I’ll be happy to consider adding it to the game lore.

Character creation
right-aligned image
  • Attribute generation will be done by the 27-point buy system.
  • Character will start at 2nd level, with maximum hit points for each level.
  • Backgrounds may be used from any of the acceptable source materials
  • Most character classes are acceptable except for the Artificer, Warlock, Mystic, and revised Ranger. Only material from the approved sources may be used. No UA or online material.
  • Warlocks could possibly be accepted with GM approval. Send me a private message with your idea for consideration.
  • Human and Tielfing variants are okay, but no winged Tieflings please.
  • No multi-classing. It’s a gateway drug to over-min-maxing.
  • Starting money is determined per class and background as if the character was first level.
  • No evil characters. I don’t want to play in that style of game. Please make heroes.

Essential elements to your application:
  • Name.
  • Character concept. (Describe your character idea.)
  • Race, class, background, gender. (Physical description and image are nice touches.)
  • Personality, motivations, goals. (What does the character want? And how does that shape their behavior?)
  • Brief backstory. (I’m a slow reader.)
  • Contacts: Who do you know in the city? Who are your family members and friends? (They will become NPCs.)
  • Character sheet. (Because I want to get the game started as quickly as possible once players join.)

Available source materials: The following sources are valid for choosing character options, with the noted exception of the Player Handbook races.
  • Player’s Handbook
  • Dungeon master’s guide
  • Xanathar’s Guide to Everything
  • Volo’s Guide to Monsters
  • Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
  • Sword Coast Adventurer’s guide

What race can your character be:
  • Common races: Human, Firbolg, Goliath, Kenku, Triton, Tabaxi, Lizardman.
  • Rare races: Tiefling, Aasimar, Gith.

Lore: the world of Valtakunta

The world is unfathomably old. Kingdoms, races, and eras have come and gone. Even the gods themselves have died, been reborn, or are now known by different names than they were before. Some legends have been forgotten. Some truths have been discovered and some lies revealed. Ruins and relics of the past lie buried under new civilizations. But even the new peoples of Valtakunta have existed for thousands of years. Exactly how many eons have gone by is up for speculation. Adventurers keep finding artifacts that are older than anything previously known to exist.

Creation Myth

People used to believe that the gods won the Dawn War, even though the evidence was plain to see that the Primordials were involved in the creation of the world and its ongoing development. It seems silly to people that live in this age that anybody ever thought that the gods reigned supreme. The land people live on is made of earth and stone. The oceans are full of elemental water. Air is everywhere. Fire burns bright in forges, hearths, and nature. While the elemental lords don’t answer people’s prayers, as the gods do, they still exist and move to shape the world. The four most powerful and well-known elemental lords are: Ilma (air), Maa (earth), Antaa Potkut (fire), and Vesi (water). A few warlocks have been known to channel power directly from the elemental lords.

The gods

Eleven gods are known to exist and are worshipped widely by mortals. They are follows:

NameAlignDomainSymbolRelations
Kuolema, mother of deathCEDeathGreat sword or mothOldest of the gods
Elama, protector of lifeLGLifeBear 
Hauta, lady of the graveNGravePolar starConsort of Luonto
Luonto, lord of natureNNatureElk or Egg 
Metkut, god of mischiefCNTrickeryViperSon of Hauta
Myrsky, god of fury and prideNETempestWerewolfSon of Taika
Sota, master of warfareLEWarSpear 
Taika, lady of magicNArcanaSwanConsort of Luonto
Tuntemus, god of art and inventionCG KnowledgeMoon 
Valo, sun godNGLightSun 
Vaarentaa, mother of civilizationLNForgeOx and ploy 

Death rituals: cleansing of the house and body, meal, funeral procession, pyre
Sacrifices: silver, blood, red ribbons, coins.

The races of ValtakuntaThese are house rules regarding the races in described in the Volo's Guide to Monsters, designed to make them more feasible as dominant races of this game world. They will be much less isolationist and won't have weird traits like not being able to speak or understand empathy.

Common races: Human, Firbolg, Goliath, Kenku, Triton, Tabaxi, Lizardman.
Rare races: Tiefling, Aasimar, Gith.
Dead races: Elf, Half-Elf, Gnome, Dwarf, Halfling, Orc, Half-Orc, Yuan-ti, Dragonborn.

Goliath: Contact with outside world changed the Goliath. They welcomed traders because resources are scarce in their mountain homes. They grew to love storytellers and bard who would spread word of their deeds far and wide. They judge people on an individual basis and admire some Humans who are experts in their field, especially warriors. They like some Tabaxi because the cat-people enjoy listening to Goliath tales and retelling them on their journeys.

Tabaxi: The Tabaxi people are wandering, semi-nomadic traders who are socially adept enough to be accepted most places despite many of them being reported to use underhanded methods of getting what they want. They have enclaves in most cities and fortifications, though most Tabaxi communities reside outside the city walls.

Kenku: Cursed and (half) redeemed. When the god that cursed the Kenku died, so did the curse that deprived them of their voices and creativity. Legends says that a company of heroes killed the god on the Kenku’s behalf. The Kenku believe that one of the heroes was one of their own who they call GodKiller or Thinker, who was able to overcome the curse enough to challenge the god and lay him low. However, the slaying of the god did not transform the Kenku back to a winged race, nor did it transport them back to the Elemental Plane of Air. They now live amongst other races but build their own structures – usually as high as possible. The height of one’s dwelling is a reflection of social status amongst the Kenku – literally living above or below others.

Lizardfolk: Their long history of exposure to other races eventually taught the Lizard Folk to see the world from other points of view. While many of them enjoy the traditional ways of their ancestors and can still be pretty odd to outsiders, they have learned empathy and to view other people as having some worth – a least a little. Many of them still view their tradition ways as superior to those of other races but are more open to cooperation between races.

Firbolgs: Once the Forest Gnomes were no more and the few surviving Elves left the world for a realm of their own, Firbolgs found themselves fighting the evils lurking in the woodlands to be harder and harder as time went on. They had sworn to protect the natural world but were losing to the forces of destruction. Wise enough to realize their situation, the ancient Firbolgs allied themselves with Human to stand together against the encroaching darkness. It was a lesson that the Firbolgs would never forget and so they opened their borders up to outsiders. However, they still watch outsiders closely to make sure they treat the natural world with the reverence it is due.

Triton: When people used to talk about the haughty, arrogant, self-righteous Tritons, they were talking about the ruling class. Seeing themselves as guardians of the entire ocean strained the resources of the people tremendously who began to wonder why their leadership kept seeking out conflict with the Sahuagin, Marrow, Sea Hags, pirates, or even Krakens. An entire society that was built around their never-ending patrol against and war with evils of the deep ocean was not sustainable. The low-level soldiers and their families finally had enough. They rebelled and seized power from their leaders and installed an inclusive government where every citizen had rights. They no longer seek out dangers of the sea but defend themselves admirably. Their new attitude of inclusion extends to non-Tritons as well, and they share their surface cities with other races.

Posting and pacing:
  • Let’s keep the game lively! When a game slows down, players lose interest. If players lose interest, then they leave the game or they don’t post as often. It’s an insidious downward spiral. So, if you’re going to sign up, stick with it!
  • am available to post 6 days per week in most cases. I won’t be posting on Friday in an attempt to have a social life. On week days, I post in the evening at Pacific time (+8 GMT), which may be later than many players
  • Players must be able to post 3 times per week. Daily is preferred.
  • If you are waiting on something, speak up. If nobody knows you’re waiting then we can’t help.
  • LOAs should be announced ahead of time if you know. If it’s unexpected, please take a couple of minutes to notify me.
  • If a player does not post for 3 straight weeks, then they are out of the game. In such a situation, I have to assume that you don’t have time for the game. Legitimate reasons are no excuse. If you can’t play for 3 weeks for any reason, then you don’t have time for the game and I’ll offer the player position to somebody who can participate. I’m sorry to have to take this hardline with players but nothing ruins a game faster than players who cannot adequately participate.
  • If something is discouraging or bothering you about the game, then please let me know so that I have a chance at doing something about it.

Application Deadline:

Let’s give it 2 weeks to make sure that players have time to consider and write up their ideas. So, that makes it May 18th. I’ll offer positions to prospective players on May 19th.

My process for evaluating players:

I shall not be taking into account party balance but weighing characters (and their players) on their individual merits. If we end up with a high percentage of certain types of characters, then that just informs the kind of game that we’ll be playing. A missing character type adds a challenge to the group but shouldn’t be a game breaker. (That’s my responsibility.) I would advise applicants to put their effort into the character concept, personality, goals, and fitting them into the campaign setting. I shall use the characters’ traits and such to create sub-plots and game content. Characters that get along with others are preferable to loners, grouches, and people who are naturally distrustful or secretive or annoying. Creativity is appealing, as you probably can guess. Tired, over-used concepts won’t be as well received. Try to make your characters multi-facetted. If you can sum up your character in a few words (such as “veteran soldier” or “arrogant wizard”), then that’s not a strong concept. People (even fictitious ones) are more complicated than that.

What I do not consider in reviewing players is their familiarity with the D&D rules or the length of time they’ve been on this site. We were all new once. And personally, I’d like to encourage people to get involved in roleplaying because, well, I personally think it’s pretty wonderful.

Last edited by girlplay; 05-04-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
I was thinking of doing a knowledge cleric human worshipping Tuntemus and was wondering what the dogma of his followers is. I'm also willing to create one if you don't have one.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:20 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpinator View Post
I was thinking of doing a knowledge cleric human worshipping Tuntemus and was wondering what the dogma of his followers is. I'm also willing to create one if you don't have one.
Hi Delpinator,

Sure. Tuntemus is the god of invention and creativity. His followers are free-thinkers. Knowledge is a proactive term. Artistry, creation, invention, etc. are his wheelhouse. Encourage free-thought. Seek out new ideas and lost information.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Xyza
I've been lurking for a while trying to find the right game to apply to, this one seems to hit a lot of what I'm looking for - a creative world, non PvP/powergaming focused, good reasonable pace. And especially starting with some connections to an area instead being wandering travelers at a tavern, which works a lot better for a character concept I've been thinking of recently. Speaking of that character concept, I was interested in knowing more about the legal system involving marshals and courts that you mentioned.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Eli frostspark

name: Eli frostspark
race: human(variant)
class: cleric(knowledge)
background:sage
male
Personality
traitsI … speak … slowly … when talking … to idiots, … which … almost … everyone … is … compared … to me.
I’m used to helping out those who aren’t as smart as I am, and I patiently explain anything and everything to others.
idealEmotions must not cloud our logical thinking.
bondI work to preserve a library
flawI can’t keep a secret to save my life, or anyone else’s.
B]motivations[/B],
goals
Brief backstory. I was born in Argillon Falls my mother a diplomat and father a town guard. I was raised under my mother's watch. mother brought me with her on diplomatic trips teaching me the languages of the world and how to understand the intensions of those who we were meeting with. I never did understand how she eventually changed their mind though. She always encouraged me to learn more though. Those with knowledge hold the power.

I eventually left to the library where I spent time teaching and learning and worshipped Tuntemus eventually gaining boons from the knowledge I learned.
Contacts:
Mother is Harley frostspark a diplomat of Argillon Falls. She loves fancy hats and loopholes. She has shoulder length grey hair and green eyes is average in height but very skinny. She secretly worships vesi.

Father is Peter a town guard and worshipper of sota. He is quickly angered and quick to act. He has blonde hair with blue eyes he is average in height though slightly heavy set.

Griselda Thornton a human barbarian that worked various jobs as a laborer. Though kind most of the time her adrenaline would show though her competitive nature. It was always friendly though. We dated for some time until I left to pursue further education. She left to join some Goliath's village. I hope to find her again some day.

Last edited by delpinator; 05-05-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:13 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Valornor Valornor
WIP
right-aligned image

Name: Wulfric Wulfhere's son

Character concept: (Describe your character idea.) Having come of age, Wulfric who lived in the western high plains. Being a second son, he knows he will not inherit anything on his father's death. Thus he has been ceased by the Wanderlust and wants to broaden his horizons. Heading to the city of Argillon Falls. Where he has never been before. As well as hoping to find his older sister there.

Race: Human

Class: Ranger

Background: Outlander

Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: One type of musical instrument
Languages: One of your choice: Dwarven
Equipment: A staff, a hunting trap, a trophy, robes made from a black panther he killed, a set of traveler’s clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

Origin: Hunter-gatherer

Feature: Wanderer
You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Personality: I’m driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home.

Ideal: Change. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it. (Chaotic)

Flaw: I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.

Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.

Deity: Luonto, Lord of Nature Alignment: Neutral Good,.

Physical description: Wulfric stands 6'2" and is sinewy and wiry of build. His somewhat handsome face has ice blue eyes, that looks at the world with a determined look in his eyes. An is framed by shoulder length raven colored hair. He is dressed in finely tanned deerskin clothing covered by leather armor in certain places. He also wears light boots and a green/black woolen reversible hooded cloak. He carries a strung Longbow and a quiver of arrows over his shoulder. Belted at his waist is his battle axe in it's head sheath. Along with a large sheathed hunting knife. Also on his shoulder is a backpack.

Personality: Wulfric is the quiet observant type. Usually only speaking if he has something worth saying. Not just to fill the silence. Though once in awhile, when he is with those he likes and in a festive situation. He'll let his hair down a bit, so to speak.

Motivations: He hopes to locate Wulflynn in Argillon Falls. Just to make sure she is doing ok, not to drag her home. Besides that, hopes to make a name for himself. Perhaps as a top caravan guide.

Goals: To perhaps become a Caravan Master some day. Also to get rich, so when he again goes home he can shower his family with gifts. To show them what a success he is.

Brief backstory: Having come of age, Wulfric who grew up on the western high plains. At his family's Sodhouse ranchstead.

Being a second son, he knows he will not inherit anything on his father's death. Thus he has been ceased by the Wanderlust and wants to broaden his horizons. Heading to the city of Argillon Falls. Where he has never been before. As well as hoping to find his older sister there.

Contacts: Wulflynn, who was his older sister by a year. A year and a half ago, she ran off with a Traveling Tinker who promised to take her to Argillon Falls. She could be a bit of a hellcat and certainly had a mind of her own. Their father was somewhat relieved he didn't have to find a husband for her and pay a dowry when she married. The last they heard was that the two were living in the The Craftman’s Ward with his family.

Last edited by Valornor; 05-19-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:30 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Valornor Valornor
DM, what would be a likely Favored Enemy/s for a Ranger to take in for this setting. An far as Natural Explorer goes, outside the city, in what type of terrain will the party be spending most of their time in. Is it Plains as you said? Thank's, once I know those I can finish up my CS.

Last edited by Valornor; 05-05-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 101
bookworm bookworm
Application - Snow in the Pines
right-aligned image
Name: Snow in the Pines (Pine) of the Cold Waters clan
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Monk (Planning Way of the Drunken Master)
Background: Guild Merchant
Character Sheet: Here

Personality: Pine has a curious nature and her interest tends to be caught by other people. Her understanding of both herself and others is what makes her a skilled trader and a good mentor to those who come to her for teaching. She has no hesitation when it comes to telling people when they're doing well, or when they need to reconsider their life choices. Pine makes decisions based on whatever seems like the most fun option at the time, and once chosen will enthusiastically throw herself into it completely. She is happy with the way she lives her life, and so far has been fortunate that no misfortune has challenged that happiness.

Backstory: Pine had a normal childhood as a member of her clan. Though for many others so much traveling in ones youth would be unusual, for Pine the constant movement and new faces were a delight. As a young adult Pine completed her training as a trader with the clan's largest caravan (a long standing member of the Worn Roads Guild) before getting her own cart and working on her own. Taking on her first apprentice was one of the best decisions she's made, having never taught anyone before she was surprised by how much she enjoyed it and continued to keep take apprentices through the years.

As a trader Pine knows that she needs to be a welcome presence wherever she goes, and carrying weapons is rarely the best way to do that. But the roads are still dangerous and so Pine has become reasonably adept at using her hands and feet instead (the occasional barfight she participates in has helped with this as well).

Pine has not advanced far within the guild's membership as she has chosen to focus on her own enjoyment of work rather than seeking expansion and profit. However, as she has been recognized as a good teacher for those new to the guild and as someone willing to teach those from outside her own clan, the guild is content to allow her to continue doing so even as they push for expansion.

Pine does not currently have an apprentice, and without the interest of a student to teach Pine's looking for something else to relieve the familiarity of her journey. Unusual cargo, a new group to travel with for protection on the roads, a new destination maybe, there's options it's just a matter of picking the most fun one.

Cold Waters Clan: Pine's clan lives and works in the region around Argillon Falls, most prefer work that involves some degree of travel such as trade, hunting, foraging or in the army patrols. The Clan reunites every year at midwinter for clan business followed by celebrations.
Bright Sunrise (Bright): One of Pine's elder brothers, a kind person who struggles in social situation he prefers to spend as much time away from the city as possible. As a ranger he is quite familiar with the area and is an excellent source of information on changes in the traveling conditions.

Worn Roads Guild: an inland trading guild primarily composed of tabaxi's (not clan specific). Started as a way to maintain connections between disparate tabaxi communities and now trades in towns and cities far beyond those. The Guild is recently coming out of a period of decline due to corrupt management practices and is currently driving it's members to expand their trade in an effort to catch up with the competitors.
Stars in Sky (Sky): An ex apprentice, Sky has recently become the assistant to the Argillon Guild Master who keeps track of the Worn Roads members as they conduct business in Argillon Falls. Unlike Pine, Sky is quite ambitious and sees the current expansion of the Guild as an opportunity to gain a senior position more quickly.

Concept: Pine is a bit of an oddball mentor archetype who does not live by others expectations, but does genuinely care about the people (student or otherwise) that come into her life. Even though she feels certain about herself and the philosophy of happiness she's chosen to live by, it's not something that's been tested through hardship yet which I think will pose a challenge during the heroics that await her. I thought that that kind of understanding of herself and others and having a specific philosophy lent itself well to a monk, and the way of the drunken master archetype seems the best fit do far. Given the wild west archetype I also wanted someone who was comfortable on the road which is where the Guild Merchant background came from.

OOC NotesI'm really excited about a game that gives a chance for some of the other races to shine, also I really like the wild west feel. This is just for some notes/questions. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

So Pine doesn't really have the usual monk background of intense training. I was thinking someone with the physical capabilities and with the awareness of herself and of others that Pine has would allow her to pick up the basics of a monks skills over the decade and half she's been traveling. I'd be open to her getting some formal training during the game though.

Only included two connections to allow space for links with the other PC's. Have some ideas already depending on which applications are successful.

Last edited by bookworm; 05-10-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Imaginary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2009
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Application

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Thomas "Thom" Morgan

Concept: With Thom, I'd like to capture the dusty, frontier town preacher archetype. While each god might have its orders and clerics, it sort of made sense to me that here would be a single point for communal worship that might not be endowed with holy powers like a cleric, especially in a city like Agrillon Falls. He's a strong believer in community and a touchstone for those who come see him preach, but there is a gap between him and the other people in town because of his job. I also enjoy internal conflict in characters, so the juxtaposition of his profession and his particular style of magic seems interesting and well suited for exploration during a long-term, sand box game such as this.

Race: Human (variant)
Class: Sorcerer (Shadow)
Background: Acolyte

Appearance: Thom is a tall, lanky young man who usually dresses in modest, solid colored outfits and keeps his undershirts crisp and white. The contrast between his dark suits and hair and the stark white shirts only serves to further set him apart from the other people in his isolated town. Although relatively young for his position, he's often referred to as an "old soul", a description supported by a weariness around his eyes. While often quiet, he has a strong, preacher's voice when need be and he knows how to use his long fingers and expressive face to convey additional meaning to his words.

Personality/Motivations: Thom is an affable young man. Groomed from a young age for is position as a preacher, he is comfortable with public speaking and the day-to-day interactions of a shepherd tending to his flock. In large social situations, he tends to be more retiring, fading into the background so as not to dampen people's enjoyment, but always there to support those in need. Unfortunately, the necessarily solitary life of a churchman has left him with little experience when it comes to deeper relationships.

From Thom's perspective, he has already achieved his life's goal: head of the Argillon Falls Community Church. But, as much as he tries to deny it to himself, he's restless. He often feels like there is something more he should be doing and tries to channel that into his work, but at night, when he's alone, the feeling is still there, keeping him awake.

Brief History: Thomas Morgan is the last of a once well-respected family, often said to be there for the founding of Argillon Falls. The scion of a long line of preachers, Thom never questioned his destiny as the next head of the Falls' flock. Growing up in the slightly rundown manor house on the fuzzy border between South Reach and the West End Trade District that had been his family's ancestral home, Thom was educated about the whole pantheon as well as the minutia of being a community churchman. When his parents untimely death thrust him into the position early, Thom stepped in with a solemn dignity that belied his barely 20 years and he has preached and served faithfully since then. His station at such a young age, the lingering cloud of grief surrounding the young man and the normal hesitance around a preacher has served to make him a cornerstone of the community while still being set apart from it.

In Thom's mind, his particular abilities also set him apart, although he has never been flashy about using his gifts in public. While he comes from a long line of sorcerers, it was clear from a young age that Thom's gifts differed from those of his ancestors. For generations, his family displayed abilities that we'd attribute to the Divine Soul archetype, but Thom's magic has always been darker, colder. He tries not to let it affect how he serves his community, but the questions about that difference often itch at the back of his mind.

Interestingly, Thom's closest friend is the local bartender, Matthew Brewer, as they often commiserate about how similar their missions are, even if they practice them in much different ways. Matthew and Thom are of an age, and Matthew also comes from a well established Argillon Falls family although he still has parents and grandparents and multiple siblings to deal with.

More recently, Thom has been spending more time ministering to Argillon Falls' Goliath and Tabaxi communities. In an effort to be more inclusive, beyond his mostly human congregation, Thom has reached out to the faith leaders of these minority communities in an effort to bridge any cultural gaps. Thom has been able to strike up an unlikely correspondence with a Goliath community leader, Vauthag Nightwarrior. While the slender human and the hulking Goliath might seem to have little in common, they've discovered that they have a similar sense of humor and an abiding concern for the community that has seen more and more Goliath attendance at the church, perhaps to the slight discomfort of long-time members.

Last edited by Quick Ben; 05-13-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 409
MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise
I'm interested, I will work on a concept!
Old 05-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyza View Post
...Speaking of that character concept, I was interested in knowing more about the legal system involving marshals and courts that you mentioned.
The Law:

The Marshall is tasked with keeping the public order and responding to disturbances within the town, answering directly to the King. They run the jail and an unofficial fire department of sorts. While their jurisdiction ends a mile out of town, they will pursue a suspect if they have the means but not at great risk.

The Courts are designed to hear cases of criminal accusation. Petitioners are encouraged to have witnesses or hard evidence before going before the court because baseless accusations are dismissed quickly and undermine the petitioners credibility for future claims. Since the King is not directly involved in adjudicating the laws, they have been written down to give consistency to how a crime is defined and what the punishment should be. The code of laws are what most people would expect - laws against violence, theft, etc. Not much credence is given to "victimless crimes". Sentences range from restitution to fines to prison time to public hanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
DM, what would be a likely Favored Enemy/s for a Ranger to take in for this setting. An far as Natural Explorer goes, outside the city, in what type of terrain will the party be spending most of their time in. Is it Plains as you said? Thank's, once I know those I can finish up my CS.
The area east and west of town are high plains but not dry enough to be considered desert terrain. North of town is an impressively tall mountain range (where there is at least one well-known Goliath settlement). There's a small forested region around the lake, between town and the mountains. Goblins are a problem; they have conquered a fairly large area to the Northwest (but not immediately adjacent to this city). They ride wolves, dire wolves, and horses. To the south is a badlands inhabited by several tribes of Gnolls. Beasts and various Monstrosities are common as the region is fairly unpopulated and wild. The mountains have various flying predators, like Harpies and Griffons. There are a few less-civilized Giant tribes as well. That's sort of the extend of 'common knowledge' about the threatening creatures in the area.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5233
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
right-aligned image

Name: Mormaris Mac Zylrona O'Chaerieth O'(famous female Firbolg from 300 years ago)
because decent fey are matronymic. The only tradition the drow kept. Really only some the "High" elves took the patronymic tradition after they came to this world, the cocks, always crowing about how superior they were to everything.
Character concept: Nature Protector of the Nature.
Most don't remember, though the Firbolg elders (and, incidentally, many nigh-immortal "Timeless Body" druids) kept the stories alive: The Firbolgs descended from the first tribe of Fey to flee the Fey Realm. It was a time of Giants and Dragons, and that tribe allied itself with the former, so much so that the fey racial traits largely (pun intended, and of great amusement to the historians) disappeared.
To the Firbolg tribe, this world felt natural, unlike The Fey, and they decided to keep it that way. Even as the other fey refugees (elves, gnomes, goblins? others?) moved on like inter-planer nomads, the Firebolg stayed to defend this world, their true home
Race Firbolg.
class:Hoping I can, with my wit and with my knowledge of grammar and comma placement, convince @girlplay to let me play a bearbarian, because I've been looking for a game to do that.
background:Also, I'm hoping to define the Firbolg race according to my understanding (limited though it may be) of Anthropology. I propose that Mormaris, Son of Zylrona, Daughter of Chaerieth, spent his first ten years in a small hunter-gatherer band of Firbolgs before being sent, as most boys are, to a new band to try and find his calling. Around age twenty, Mormaris faced his Challenge by surviving alone for ten years, which he achieved with the unconventional (although, let's be honest, not that uncommon) practice of interacting with the "farmers" in their settlements. Now an adult "man" (which indicates some corruption by the artifice of other races, but maybe Mormaris will grow out of it, his mother hopes), Mormaris follows his calling to preserve the Nature in the face of Artifice. He sees the threat of agriculture and cities but also the opportunity to build sustainable communities which might last longer than the memory of even the fabled elvish druids.

gender: Adult (rather than Mother), because he survived his Rite of Adulthood. He grew up a "boy" (unable to produce offspring without the use of shape-changing magic), and now he is a "man" (corrupted by the influence of herder/farmer races and seemingly unlikely to produce offspring). He can't become an Aunt (a "girl" who can't, or doesn't, produce offspring but who helps care for children of the camp), but maybe he will become an Uncle (a "boy" who cares for the children of various camps). Many Mothers, and the occasional Aunt who is especially respected, become Grandmothers. Mormaris's mother hopes he will become a Grandfather in a few hundred years. At least Mormaris is on his way to becoming an Uncle.

(please, ask me about my imagined opinions about how Dragonborn should, if DnD was interesting, reproduce)

Physical description: Fairly usual height for a Firbolg (I'm seeing some significant differences online wrt how tall a Firbolg is. Please, give me a range and a mean). Fiery red beard, almost brunette hair on his head. For a Firbolg, wirery build, but farming races might see him as beefy.

Personality, motivations, goals: To protect the natural order. To maintain the balance as the Farmer Races grow the F*** up. Unlike may of the Firbolg, he views Farming like a glacier of the old story-time ice age: a tremendous force that will change the world. But unlike a glacier, maybe The Farmers can be convinced not to destroy everything in their path.

Brief backstory: I'm happy to provide more imagining. I've been at this over a hour and need to do some other things.

Last edited by fuerdrake; 05-05-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:08 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8214
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Would an Aarakocra be allowed? Do you have an idea where they may fit in your world setting?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontageManiac View Post
Would an Aarakocra be allowed? Do you have an idea where they may fit in your world setting?
No, no Aarococra PCs. They probably exist as a monster race in small numbers.

Last edited by girlplay; 05-06-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1786
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
Character Application
left-aligned image
Name: Tember Malukekali
Character Concept: Full Disclosure: Tember's character concept originated from another game that went inactive shortly after it started, but I liked her so much that I kept the idea for another game. I'm a fan of clashing race/class combinations, hence goliath wizard. I'm also a fan of clashing personality traits. Tember is a fairly timid wizard, but with a zeal for learning the arcane arts. This combined with her ancestral need for completing ever-greater feats of accomplishment and harsh sense of fairness means even though she may want to keep her nose buried in a book all day long, most of the books she wants could very well be buried in ancient danger-filled ruins and now that puberty has come and gone she feels the need to do great deeds battling with her introverted upbringing.
Race/Class/Gender: Female Goliath Wizard
Background: Sage
Backstory: Tember is a first-generation goliath in Argillon Falls. Her parents migrated from the (relatively) nearby mountain tribes when her mother became pregnant. They weren't prepared to raise their child in the harsh, tribal environment of the mountains and while civilization has visited itself upon the tribes, their assimilation of widely-accepted social norms was moving far too slowly for Mosippee and Kadolnyra.

With the luxury of arcane college, Tember grew to love learning and the arcane arts in particular. After graduation she applied and was accepted to the "Assistance League", whose members offered a wide range of services for the betterment of Argillon Falls from patrolling the streets lighting lanterns in the evening to posting up at various kiosks for mending and minor spell-related benefits.

Tember is maddeningly close to applying for her first sabbatical and seeing for herself what may lie in the ruins of old civilizations for her to discover...
Personality/Motivation: Always willing to lend a hand (or a cantrip) to those in need, Tember gets a lot of pleasure out of helping others. Even more than just her role at the Assistance League, Tember hopes to find artifacts and lost knowledge she can donate to the college's museum to increase Argillon Falls' erudition. The stories of ancient wonders and ruins just outside the city gates filled her head with wild dreams and the desire to explore and see them first-hand. She is also beginning to feel the itch of her ancestral tradition to go out and accomplish great deeds and obtain her "given name", which she has yet to do. However, being raised in a city, her parents may have over-corrected from their tribal upbringing and Tember has quite an introverted streak in her. She is constantly in flux between her timid personality and her desire to achieve greatness and offer aid.

Tember doesn't put much stock in the gods worshiped by the majority of civilization, seeing them as creations of mortal minds. While she certainly wouldn't do something so rude as to voice those opinions, she has no illusions about gods and goddesses interfering in the lives of mortals. What she does put stock in, however, are the elemental forces of creation. She believes as was taught to her by her parents, that earth, air, wind, and fire are the wild forces that shape the universe. With no conscious thought or physical forms, these forces cannot even be fully comprehended by mortal minds, only respected.
Contacts:
  • Mosippe & Kadolnyra: Tember's father & mother, respectively. Raised in the traditional tribal lifestyle of their people, Mosippe & Kadolnyra have nonetheless left their home to give Tember a better life. Recently Mosippe has fallen into a long-term malady and while it currently doesn't seem life-threatening, Tember has become quite worried. Kadolnyra is constantly putting on a brave face and hiding the severity of the situation from her daughter.
  • Solomon Doors: The enigmatic aasimar teacher of the small arcane college and director of the Assistance League. Tember's boss in nearly every sense of the word, she does whatever she can to retain his good graces, despite the difficulty of reading his mood at any given time. Solomon has expressed his confusion on more than one occasion about why Tember has not yet taken a sabbatical that he offers regularly for his students to travel to other parts of the world or venture out into the surrounding ruins seeking knowledge beyond what he has to offer.
  • Montgomery: A firbolg deputy who regularly patrols Tember's street. Their friendship blossomed from their mutual love and reverence for nature, and has since grown.
  • Callistege: This incredibly old and withered kenku owns a library and oddity shop in Argillon Falls. While not the largest or most impressive of selections by any means, it is nonetheless well-known since the proprietor spends every spare copper she earns to continuously raise and reinforce the stilts upon which her business sits. Currently you can see The Lonely Raven from just about any point in the city.

As always I would be thrilled to collaborate and tweak this character to suit the game and world!