RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12452
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huhart View Post
Would Bladesinger be allowed for a non-elf race?
Since Elves are a dead race in this world and the SCA guide doesn't actually give any compelling reason for the restriction, then sure... any race can learn blade-singing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclaytster View Post
I know this is not from the approved books, but would the background of archaeologist be allowed? I can always swing a guild merchant in that direction if need be. There are some homemade backgrounds which fit my character concept but want to make sure I'm using the correct material. On that note, if we can only use approved source backgrounds, can we tailor the concept, bonds, ideals, etc. (not changing what features you get)?

How large is this city?

Any maps to show?
Archaeologist sounds like an anachronism. But then again, considering the long history of this world, then maybe it isn't. Then again, it is from a non-approved source. So, no. Let's stick to the printed materials please.

I've always thought of the bonds, flaws, ideals, etc. as a helpful tool. But you can certainly come up with your own. The ones listed are suggestions but not mandatory.

The city is home to roughly 7,500 permanent residents but at any one time it can swell to more like 10,000 individuals.

I do not have a map. A few things to note about the city: a) It is not a walled city. Call it the Tabaxi effect, if you like. Walls don't stop somebody who can climb naturally. Many cities use walls but incorporate other means of defense as well. Also, since trade is the life-blood of this city, the king (and former rulers) did not want to restrict access and built no walls. b) The city is built along the east-west "highway". The highway splits into 2 wide avenues as it enters town. Each end of town has businesses that cater to the needs of travelers: blacksmiths, inns, brothels, wheelwrights, liveries, etc. c) Tritons and Kenku have their own distinct areas of town because of their unique living situation. The rest of the city is fairly integrated. d) Well, I'll have to write something up more about the layout and the districts in town so I'll stop here for now.

Last edited by girlplay; 05-07-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8214
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Would you happen to have any information re: Lizardfolk? I know there’s a forest around the lake, and that seems like an appropriate area since they usually need to keep their scaly skin moist at some point during the day.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Old School - or just old

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2411
timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible
girlplay: I have an idea for a kenku bard, but it kind of hinges on some ideas that popped into my mind when thinking about what a post-curse kenku society would be like. Do you currently have a lot of details in place for kenku culture in your world? If not, are you open to a character concept that brings with it some of those details (as imagined by me)?
Old 05-08-2019, 03:17 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 101
bookworm bookworm
@girlplay I've done a final edit on my application. If you've any questions let me know!

I only need to get one question to finish Pine's mechanics. The Guild Merchant background (PHB) says that "rather than proficiency with artisan's tools, you might be proficient with navigator's tools or an additional language". Would it be alright if I took proficiency in vehicles (land)? It just feels a better fit, though an extra language would also be fine.

Last edited by bookworm; 05-09-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontageManiac View Post
Would you happen to have any information re: Lizardfolk? I know there’s a forest around the lake, and that seems like an appropriate area since they usually need to keep their scaly skin moist at some point during the day.
Public baths. Since Tritons and Lizardfolk (and people wanting to wash off the dust) are going to want to immerse themselves in water often, then I think the town has to have publically acceptable bath houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timplausible View Post
girlplay: I have an idea for a kenku bard, but it kind of hinges on some ideas that popped into my mind when thinking about what a post-curse kenku society would be like. Do you currently have a lot of details in place for kenku culture in your world? If not, are you open to a character concept that brings with it some of those details (as imagined by me)?
Other than what's already been listed in the game announcement and in the hardback book, no, I don't have an additional information about Kenku culture. If you have some ideas, then go ahead and run them past me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
@girlplay I've done a final edit on my application. If you've any questions let me know!

I only need to get one question to finish Poine's mechanics. The Guild Merchant background (PHB) says that "rather than proficiency with artisan's tools, you might be proficient with navigator's tools or an additional language". Would it be alright if I took proficiency in vehicles (land)? It just feels a better fit, though an extra language would also be fine.
A land vehicles proficiency seems perfectly reasonable. Yes.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 943
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
I put a marker here... to find it in a couple of days ... time to pop up something good for you
Old 05-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2150
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
right-aligned image

Name: Hawthorne Maddox
Race: Human
Class: Bard
Background: Teacher (Sage)

Traits: I’m willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment / There’s nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Bonds: I’ve been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question / It is my duty to protect my students.
Ideal: Beauty. What is beautiful points us beyond itself toward what is true.
Flaw: I overlook obvious solutions in favor of complicated ones.

Description/Personality: Hawthorne is handsome by human standards. Over the course of his 37 years, he has seen and done much, which only lend to the air of mystery and charisma that others are usually drawn to. Despite the disarming ease at which he navigates social settings, he still manages to be stern and fair in equal measure, evidenced by most of his previous students considering him their most difficult, and yet favorite, teacher.

Hawthorne believes that beauty is often a misunderstood concept and has spent his life in its pursuit and protection in all its forms. It is this pursuit that led him to become a teacher and, ultimately, to leave.

History: In another place and nearly a lifetime ago, Hawthorne called himself a Harper. He longed for adventure; to make his mark and do good in the world. It was an easy fit.

This lasted for several years until he came across several young men attacking a tiefling. She couldn't have been more than twenty. He stopped the attack, but not before the tiefling succumbed to her wounds. To Hawthorne's horror, one of the attackers was a Harper. After questioning him, he learned that they had attacked the girl because someone nearby had been attacked with arcane fire. They had no proof, but who else could it be but a stranger with horns. The baseless hatred for the girl was founded on nothing but prejudice. In Hawthorne's mind, a thing of beauty has been forever snuffed out because of ignorance. He left the Harpers that day and set out to find another path.

His travels landed him in the city of Argillon Falls. He fell in love with its culture and wild landscape almost immediately. It did not take long for him to make friends in his new home and eventually a job teaching arcane studies in the city. For well over a decade he taught his students about the principles of magic, but also how it connects and binds all life. He taught them how to be good people.

When one of his brightest students did not show for class for several days, he went to his home to see if all was well. Instead, he learned that he had been brutally attacked by goblins outside of the city. His body was found by a patrol the next day.

Even here, where he had fostered an environment of enlightened discussion and thought, the arms of darkness still manage to snuff out the lives of those that might have done countless good deeds Hawthorne returned back to his tiny house in the city after spending the day with the boy's family and stood over a dusty old chest, the symbol of the Harpers etched into its lid. If he could not protect those charged in his care by educating them, then he was left with no choice then to remove those threats himself.

Contacts:
Arthur Glint - Male gith. Friend and headmaster of the school where he taught
Sorsha and Jasper Linder - Friends and married goliath couple living in the city. They both used to be adventurers and often share stories with Hawthorne.
Domina LeChance - Female human sorceress. An acquaintance of Hawthorne's. Not as close as they used to be, but still good friends

Last edited by Silent Rain; 05-09-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 815
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Character CreationName: Orilo Benthorn Thunukalathi
Character Concept: To some, Orilo is a new breed of Goliath: sophisticated, eloquent, even charming. Others merely tolerate his presence in the courts of Argillon Falls as a curiosity - clever, to be sure, but a brute alike to any of his kin. Nevertheless, none can deny his rippling physique and melodious voice crescendo to a hypnotic climax. Orilo that those who have extraordinary abilities must serve as both guide and aid to those less fortunate. Delighting in debate in the twin arenas of conversation and combat, Orilo has grown weary of his tiresome fellow courtiers and intends to lead by example.
Race: Goliath (Male)
Class: Bard (College of Valor)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: CourtierCourtier
Personality Traits: I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
I am well known for my work, and I want to make sure everyone appreciates it. I am always taken aback when people have not heard of me.
Ideal: Goliath strength extends to art and culture, not just violence - this is what I show the world. (Good)
Bond: I am committed to my herd, and wish to promote all Goliaths in the courts of Argillon Falls.
Flaw: I would do anything to see a Goliath crowned king. Anything.

right-aligned image

Personality: Orilo is always in the mood for a song, argument, fight, dance, or any form of socializing known to the 10 civilized races! He treats life as an epic tale of which he is the star performer. Whether jumping from rooftops or kissing the hands of princesses, you can be sure Orilo has already composed a ballad on his own behalf.
Motivations/Goals: In the short term, Orilo seeks to maximize his chances that his audience (friend or foe) sees his next heroic act or hear his moving words. In the long term, Orilo is committed to further erosion of negative Goliath stereotypes (and to a lesser extent, negative stereotypes, period). Ultimately, Orilo would consider his life's work complete if a Goliath was crowned king (though not himself - kingliness is akin to seriousness!).
Brief Backstory: Orilo was always seeking the approval of his elders; while his age-mates called him a suckup, he called it networking. By his ninth summer, Orilo caught the attention of a wandering Triton skald, Zunis. With the approval of his elders easily secured, Orilo entered his tutelage and learned how to weave everyday acts into a grandiose saga. Twice, Zunis took a pilgrimage under the sea to pay respects to his family; he returned Orilo to his herd during these times. These intervals reinforced Orilo's cultural identity and pride in his race. Zunis's third pilgrimage was to be his last, and Orilo's training was complete. After two days spent in fierce debate, Orilo's elders finally allowed him the privilege of an assistant ambassadorship to the Royal Court of Argillon Falls. Orilo intended to collect stories of intrigue and heroism for his saga, but years of exposure to his simpering peers left Orilo jaded. Now he intends to forge his own epic tale, one line at a time.
Contacts: I recognize most names in the upper circles of Argillon Falls. In particular, I am friends with the current king's second son Marcus, the protege of the leading textiles manufacturer Nero, and I dedicate all my best poetry to Evonia, heiress of the most prominent merchant in the city. Additionally, I'm part of the web of favors and debts (plus friends, enemies, and rivals) in the upper echelon of society.
Character Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=80466

Last edited by Mythrandil; 05-11-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Old School - or just old

Tools
User Statistics
timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible timplausible
WIP - Hope to finish write-up and character sheet over the next two days.
Application: "Rocky"
right-aligned image
Name: The Clatter of Small Stones Falling on Rock (aka "Rocky")
Character concept: A good-natured Kenku bard on his ritual "seeking" to find new stories and items to collect for his flock back home.
Race: Kenku
Class: Bard (with an eye towards College of Lore)
Background: Entertainer
Personality: Friendly, chatty, gregarious. Has a bit of a mischievous streak. Fairly adventurous and reasonably brave, if need be.
Motivations: Rocky is a collector - primarily of stories, songs, and lore, but also of unusual items. He is in the midst of a multi-year Kenku right of passage in which he travels away from his flock to gather new and different things and bring them back. During the course of this "seeking", he has also developed a taste for exploration and adventure more generally.
Brief backstory: "My story? What's there to tell? Middle-hatch in a three-egg clutch. Parents were shopkeepers, but that life wasn't for me. The flock's elder storyteller took me under his wing (Ha! Bird pun!), and one of his other apprentices taught me to play the lute. When it came time for my seeking, I headed for the high plains. Why? Not sure, really. When I turn it into a song, it will be because of a girl. I rode with some caravans, and eventually ended up in Argillon Falls. It's a great place for someone on their seeking. People come. People go. They all have stories. Some of them have songs. And there's always someone that needs a song - either while relaxing in a tavern, or while on the road to adventure. You look like you could use a song. Ever heard the Ballad of Thinker?"
Contacts: (Who do you know in the city? Who are your family members and friends?)
  • The Chitters of an Angry Squirrel (aka "Squirrel") and Mews of a Kitten Being Carried on the Wind (aka "Kitty") - a married Kenku couple that operate a small tavern and "inn" (it's only got a couple of rooms) called "The Roost". The Roost is built on a scaffolding, kind of like a forest-service watch tower, with the actual tavern being located about three stories above the ground. Kitty and Squirrel give Rocky free room and board when he's in town in exchange for performing at The Roost.
  • Gavin McCloud - a human merchant who nominally lives in town, but who runs caravans east and west more often than he stays at home. Rocky first arrived at Argillon Falls by accompanying one of Gavin's caravans from the east as both a guard and entertainment. He occasionally repeats these services for Gavin.
  • Spire in the Rivier (aka "Spire") - a female Tabaxi artisan whose current obsession is trying to make better and better musical instruments. Rocky's current instrument was made by Spire, and Rocky also helps Spire put new instruments to the test before Spire decides if they are good enough to be considered "complete".
Character Sheet in Progress

Last edited by timplausible; 05-09-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1103
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Application=Done
left-aligned image

Name: "Silver" Peak of the Jade River Clan
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Barbarian - Zealot
Background: Outlander

Last edited by Jrod; 05-16-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1477
RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD
ValythName: Valyth
right-aligned image

Character concept: Valyth is a paladin of Valo who intermingles his own beliefs with the doctrine of Valo. He hopes to someday lead the church and its efforts to bring peace to the city. Valyth is a stalwart and trustworthy companion though he forgives too easily and shies away from ending the life of any intelligent being.
Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Paladin
Background: Acolyte
Physical description: Valyth's scales are various shades of green with some streaks of orange, red and yellow that appear to originate from the frill upon his head. The frill like the rising sun and the streaks the beams of light of the sun rise.

PurposePersonality: Valyth is amiable and open to all ideas and conversation. He believes most evil acts are done out of desperation. Always seeking to find a peaceful resolution he is quick to forgive if the perpetrator seems earnest in their desire to change.

Motivations: Valyth is an acolyte of Valo and just as the sun rises each day Valyth goes about his duties as such. Valyth tends to seek a peaceful resolution but knows that sometimes violence is inevitable. Even then he prefers to spare lives in hopes of convincing them to change their ways. Valyth seeks peace for the city of Argillon Falls.

Goals: Valyth seeks to bring enough peace to Argillon Falls and wealth to himself to have a nice retirement. Secretly Valyth hopes to rise in the ranks of Valo's temple, to a position where he can begin influencing their methods. To this end Valyth performs his duties admirably although he often interprets his orders to be consistent with his own ideals.

Brief backstory: Irhtos was Valyth's best friend when he was a hatchling and still called Vyth. Irhtos was born a cripple and the lizardfolk wanted nothing to do with such a weak creature. Only Vyth was there for his friend but it was not enough. Irhtos died at a young age without the support of the tribe and shortly after Vyth left to join the temple of Valo, to find a new family. He took on a new name then, Valyth to show his commitment.

Valyth now spends his days spreading the word of Valo, that all intelligent creatures are born equal under the sun and all deserve to live. He often adds that it is the duty of the gifted to help those in need, sometimes his own ideals are expressed more than the doctrine of Valo, perhaps someday they will align more closely, one way or another.

Contacts Othokent is one of Valyth's few connections to his old clutch. They speak often about the past and the future of the lizardfolk in the city.

Feloren is Valyth's closest friend in the order of Valo. They share similar ideas of what the followers of Valo should pursue and how the organization should interact within the city.

Paavu Horncarver Thuliaga is Valyth's sworn enemy. Valyth let him go with the promise he would change his evil ways. Instead he has committed even worse atrocities and Valyth seeks to bring him to justice.

Last edited by RadarD; 05-12-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Old School - or just old

Tools
User Statistics
Next question: I'm going with the Entertainer background for my Kenku bard, but a Disguise Kit doesn't seem that useful to a kenku. Could I swap that proficiency for Thieves' Tools? They don't exactly go with being an entertainer, but they are a cultural standard of sorts for Kenku.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14721
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
Name: Drouxli

Character concept: Drouxli enjoys learning about myths and legends, converting them into puppet show. He uses his druid craft to bring legends and myths to life to the delight of those around him. Deformities from his illness and his fearsome appearance make those who don't know Drouxli afraid to approach him. Unkind interactions with those who assume Drouxli as a vagrant have made him hesitant to approach others outside his craft. He prefers to engage groups of people through his marionette plays.

Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Druid (Circle of the Moon)
Background: Entertainer (Puppeteer)

Physical description: Drouxli is deceptively large standing at just under seven feet tall, and weighting over two hundred and fifty pounds. The lizard man looks shorter and smaller than he is because of the hunched back and large grey cloak he wears covering his body. The cloak hides a long scar that runs down Drouxlis back, damaging his muscles with a permanent stooped posture. The left side of his face is disfigured by a large scare that has removed most of his left lip, leaving his teeth exposed. His posture, terrifying grin and large scarlet frill give Drouxli a terrifying visage that he works hard to dispel.

Drouxli carries few possessions on his person, typically just a knife, survival supplies and a few puppets made from dead wood and small animal bones. The only item that matters to Drouxli is a talisman made from a small tooth that he carries around his neck.

Personality: Drouxli is a quiet observer who has a passion for legends, mythology and history. When not performing Drouxli is quiet and reserved, preferring to listen rather than speak. While performing Drouxli is a lively and avid entertainer who uses his druid craft to bring his marionettes to life in ways that others can't. Tiny vines pull the puppets making them jump and dance while flowers bloom to form living costumes. In battle Drouxli is a primal fighter who relies on instinct and fury rather than tactics and strategy. Initially distrustful of strangers Drouxli is loyal companion to those who have earned his trust and a terrible foe to those who he has decided to kill.

Motivations: Drouxli uses his marionette shows as a way to approach others, using the shows to learn about different groups of people. Mythology and legends have deep connections to cultures, while performing Drouxli can study his audiences responses and learn more about how to interact with tabaxis, kenku, goliaths and different groups. Lizard folk have different physical traits that make them to appear more aggressive than they really are. Drouxli wants to dispel the myths about his people, proving that Lizard folk are just as civilized as the other races.

Collecting legends and myths helps Drouxli with his entertainment while allowing him to pursue a more personal goal. Something killed his families clutch while he was just a hatchling, leaving Drouxli scarred for life. He now spends his adult life learning about the past and exploring ruins in an attempt to find the creature that destroyed his family so that he can take revenge.

Drouxli was taught that the Elemental Lords are at the heart of all things. He worships them with an equal amount of reverence and fear.

Goals: Drouxli wants the citizens of Argillon Falls to see him as a source of delight instead of fear. He also wants to avenge his family, stopping the tragedy that destroyed his family from hurting another.

Contacts:

Parrot Calls: A kenku druid who roams the Southern Plains. Parrot Calls can be recognized the scarlet streak across his beak.

Tempais Players: A traveling troupe who performs plays in different cities.

Cheeky Tome: A Tabaxi tavern owner who allows Drouxli to perform some nights.

Unknown Horror: A strange beast that killed and consumed Drouxlis family.

Last edited by Craigthulu; 05-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
Applicants to date
PlayerCharacter nameDetailsApplication status
delpinatorEli Frostsparkmale Human (v) sage cleric (knowledge)WIP
ValornorWulfricmale Human outlander rangerWIP
bookwormnow in the Pines (Pine)female Tabaxi guild merchant monkWIP - needs concept
Quick BenThomas Morganmale Human (v) acolyte sorcerer (shadow)WIP
fuerdrakeMormaris Mac Zylronamale Firbolg ?? barbarian/druidrejected - multiclass
MoldyNoldsTember Malukekalifemale Goliath sage wizardWIP
AneaLady Ilithya Visorinfemale Aasimar (scourge) noble sorcerer (storm)WIP
MurderInParidise Martin Matrosmale Human acolyte warlock??WIP-needs approval
SinisterShadow at Dawn (Shadow)male Tabaxi folk-hero sorcerer (divine soul)WIP
Silent RainHawthorne Maddoxmale Human sage bardWIP
MythrandilOrilo Benthorn Thunukalathimale Goliath courtier bard (college of valor)WIP
timplausibleThe Clatter of Small Stones Falling on Rock ("Rocky")male Kenku ?? bard (college of valor)WIP
Jrod"Silver" Peakmale Tabaxi outlander Barbarian (zealot)WIP
RadarDValythmale Lizardfolk acolyte paladinWIP
CraigthuluDrouxlimale Lizardfolk entertainer druid (circle of the moon)WIP

Last edited by girlplay; 05-08-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 815
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
@girlplay Orilo is a courtier - it was hard to see as the title of a field set, so I changed it to be more prominent.