RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 09:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14652
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
My application with Drouxli is complete. I used the entertainer background but changed disguise kit with craft (puppets).

Old 05-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12120
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by timplausible View Post
Question about starting money/equipment:
Can we use the starting equipment options for class and background, or do you specifically want us to use the optional starting gold rules and purchase our equipment that way?

Second question: Thieves' Tools are out as a replacement for disguise kit. What about artist's tools? (Or maybe they are called painter's tools?) I could see Rocky keeping a collection of sketches that he has made of new places and things, part of his stash to take back to his flock.
Hi again. Yes, for starting equipment you get the maximum gold for your class plus the stuff listed in your background.

Sure, artisan tools seems acceptable.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 707
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
Wow! I feel terrible. Jrod posted this question a week ago and I missed it. I was reading over some of the applications today and saw this. So... I guess I'll address it now.

Technology and Magic: The level of tech in this world is very much in line with the D&D average / standard level. The world may be unfathomably old but it also has gone through a number of dark ages and periods of great hardship where inventions and technologies have been lost to the survivors. Civilizations, races, and gods have faded into the void of history along with anything more advanced than currently exists. It might be possible to find more advanced technology buried and forgotten in the ruins of the old worlds.

Magic is present enough in everyday life that most people have seen it being used. Cantrips are common place. Low level spells are seen and used occasionally. An experience city guard will know to watch out for minor illusions and spells like disguise self, especially since Firbolgs can do so naturally. Truly skilled and powerful casters are more rare. An army will likely have a few people that can throw a fireball or put up a wall of fire. The ability to cast above 4th level spells starts getting rare indeed. Argillon Falls probably has 1 or 2 casters of that caliber at most. Legends and stories of truly powerful casters are few and far between.
No worries, thanks for the reply

Application is done, pending any DM feedback of course

Good luck everyone!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
One day remainingTomorrow is the deadline. I'll close the thread to applications on Saturday afternoon (pacific time). Please proofread your text and double-check that your character sheet is ready. I noticed a few sheets with some details not finished. Sunday, I'll be inviting players to the game thread. Again, thank you al for your interest, time, and effort.

Applicants to date
PlayerCharacter nameDetailsApplication status
delpinatorEli Frostsparkmale Human (v) sage cleric (knowledge)WIP
ValornorWulfricmale Human outlander rangerComplete
bookwormSnow in the Pines (Pine)female Tabaxi guild merchant monkcomplete
Quick BenThomas Morganmale Human (v) acolyte sorcerer (shadow)Complete
fuerdrakeMormaris Mac Zylronamale Firbolg ?? barbarian/druidrejected - multiclass
MoldyNoldsTember Malukekalifemale Goliath sage wizardcomplete
NasrithAsher Palerynmale Triton inheritor Warlock (Hexblade)Complete
AneaLady Ilithya Visorinfemale Aasimar (scourge) noble sorcerer (storm)complete
MurderInParidise Martin Matrosmale Human acolyte warlock??WIP-needs approval
SinisterShadow at Dawn (Shadow)male Tabaxi folk-hero sorcerer (divine soul)Complete
Silent RainHawthorne Maddoxmale Human sage bardComplete
MythrandilOrilo Benthorn Thunukalathimale Goliath courtier bard (college of valor)Complete
timplausibleThe Clatter of Small Stones Falling on Rock ("Rocky")male Kenku entertainer bard (college of valor)WIP
Jrod"Silver" Peakmale Tabaxi outlander Barbarian (zealot)complete
RadarDValythmale Lizardfolk acolyte paladinComplete
CraigthuluDrouxlimale Lizardfolk entertainer druid (circle of the moon)complete
DonaldJWaferDolan Verlosmale Human soldier paladinWIP
Robbie ExleyHelen Zaraheimfemale Protector Aasimar noble paladin?WIP
gnollservitudeStichesfemale Tabaxi entertainer bardcomplete
MontageManiacZezhuanthmale Lizardfolk outlander druidcomplete
StitchlippedKara'uu the Lawbringermale Kenku investigator Paladincomplete

Last edited by girlplay; 05-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Dwarven Master-at-Arms

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1235
Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea
Barring any feedback from you girlplay, I believe Lady Visorin is complete
Old 05-17-2019, 09:26 AM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3148
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Thanks for the details on when you're closing it -- think I should be able to get my app in tonight (UK time, so, next 8 hours or so); hate to run it close to the deadline, but someone or other has been sick in the house the last two weeks solid, so I've had plenty of thinking time, but not enough sit down and write time.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:20 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3405
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Reread my app and checked the sheet. Unless I'm completely blind, I think I've got everything ready to go.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 PM
PhD in Horribleness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1632
Sinister Sinister Sinister Sinister Sinister Sinister Sinister Sinister Sinister Sinister Sinister
Good luck, everyone! Unless this is my lack of system knowledge speaking, I think I've got everything.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
The basics
left-aligned image
Sam

Rosamund ĎSamí Smith: Female Human (variant) Rogue, Folk Hero background

Physical Description: The easiest way to identify Sam is as the tiny woman wearing the scale mail. Some wonder how someone so tiny can wear the armor she's loath to be out and about with, but Sam dreams of breastplates and halfplate. Otherwise, she's fairly nondescript -- small, slightly beady green eyes, face scarred and usually dirt smudged. The length of her unkempt, mousy brown hair is about the only nod toward traditional femininity about Sam.

Character Concept: She'll pick your pocket, but not stab you in the back.

When Samís dad disappeared, she and her brother got mixed up with the Dry Creek gang -- a rowdy lot of ranchers with some questionable morals, but who also gave food and support to the poorest of the poor in Argillon Falls. She left when they turned to outright banditry, and is struggling to try continue their humanitarian efforts on her own as an assistant blacksmith. She dreams of ousting the worst actors (Silas Orley, Jack Cade,...) in the Dry Creek gang and redeeming the rest -- most notably, her brother Ulysses.

Character Sheet

Personality, Motivations, Goals -- I'll let Sam get this across herselfThey werenít no bandits, not when I was there. Card cheats and rowdy drunks, sure, and Iíll allow that a fair few of their cattle were rustled. They werenít no saints, the gang down at Dry Creek, but that donít make Ďem bandits.

Saw plenty of misdeeds, my three years out at Dry Creek Ranch. I was mostly doing farrier work, but I took part in plenty of mischief. But it was all for laughs and small potatoes. Nobody got hurt, not really. It werenít no armed bleediní robbery!

And they done loads a good, too: all the far-out ranches are always fightiní off goblins and gnolls and suchlike, Argillon would have its hands full without them. And the Dry Creek gang feeds -- well, fed -- a good chunk of the Southern Reach when times are hard. Fed moreín the king did by a damn sight. And they gave decent work to kids like Ulysses and Me that more straight folk donít have the time of day for. Always gotta weigh the good with the bad, and at Dry Creek, it always came out to the good.

Or it did Ďtil Shep Orley done disappeared -- with Shep gone, werenít nobody around big enough to get Silas to back down from his dumb plans. Got rowdier and drunker til one day Silas and Jack Cade and that lot came back drinkiní and laughiní and tossiní gold round -- "We done held up a coach!" That was the day I left and came back to Argillon. Stood up to Silas, said my piece, asked who was cominí with me -- got a few Southern Reach boys to come with, but Ulysses ... he was too taken by Shepís charm and the promise of easy money. Hardest thing I ever did, leaviní Ulysses behind, and Iím goiní back to get him out some day, you see if I donít. Still plenty of good folk at Dry Creek, just looking for someone big enough to stare down Silas, like Shep used to -- reckon it could be me, someday. Nobody else is lookin' to do it.

Can always use more coin, goes right through my fingers -- if I ainít spending my last copper on a pint of ale then Iím giviní it to the starviní kid on the corner. Paavu, she pays me what she can, but it ainít much, and I ainít a good enough smith to set out on my own. So Iím always hustliní for more money, workiní whatever angle I can get -- gotta get Mama settled someplace proper, half the Reaches is starviní and it breaks my heart, and one day Iím gonna have a breast-plate, or even a proper half-plate! Something like Daddy woulda made.

Daddy... Itís hard to tell, sometimes, if something is wrong wrong, or just something rich and proper folk say is wrong, you know? And when I canít tellÖ(sniff)...I just ask what would make Daddy proud, and then do that. Donít always work, that -- Daddy was always gettiní in trouble chasiní after stuff the dwarfs left behind -- taught me to read their script, kinda, and I guess I got the bug, too -- ainít no-one alive makes armor like they did. He was after some when he disappearedÖ. Where was I? I guess that mostly, if I can see Daddy smiliní at me, I know Iím doiní alright.

ContactsEnid Smith: Samís mother, invalid, lives with Sam in a two rooms above a tavern in the South Reaches, after Sam to get them a better place. Theyíve never really been close

Tobias Smith: Samís dad -- missing (presumed dead) since Sam was 10, Sam inherited his love of metal, and fascination of ancient Dwarven craftsmanship.

Ulysses Smith: Samís younger brother. They were very close, but fell out over the Dry Creek gangís shift to banditry; Sam thinkís heíll be fine once heís out from under Silasís wing.

Silas Orley: Small, hard, ambitious. Sam views him as the behind the Dry Creek gangís shift to banditry.

Jack Cade: Silasís right hand man, cruel to the core

Shep Orley: Huge but kind hearted, Samís mentor when she was at Dry Creek Ranch until he vanished without warning.

Paavu Steelshaper Gila-Borno: Goliath blacksmith who Sam works for after more well-to-do smiths wouldnít take her on; first female role model Sam has had
Old 05-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
Ok -- always spend *way* too long on these things. Sorry to dump that on you so close to the end, girlplay, but I think it's good everything; might have time tomorrow to fix things if it doesn't, and completely up for tweaking things during Session 0 to get a cohesive group together.

Good luck everyone!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7143
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
I made some edits in the brief backstory. Unfortunately I couldn’t touch on the long backstory much, but hopefully you won’t hold that against me too much? I invoke “being in charge of monitoring baby” clause of parenthood excuse bill, passage 342 viii.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25
TwilitRaven
Application - Ash Falling On Stone
right-aligned image
Name: Ash Falling On Stone (Ash)
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Rogue (Swashbuckler)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Gladiator (Variant Entertainer)

Character Sheet: Right Here

Character Concept:
A tabaxi swordswoman and entertainer who acts the part of a swaggering duelist but is a bit of a coward and tends to run from danger when her life is on the line. She spent a lot of time traveling with a circus troupe, participating in a number of acts from elaborate fencing matches to some tumbling and acrobatics, primarily focusing on combat as entertainment. She had many close friends there, but let them down greatly when she left them behind during an attack by bandits while on the road, and vowed to never let another friend down in that way again.

Personality/Motivations/Goals:
Ash is full of confidence and charm most of the time. She tries to keep the mood light, especially in tense situations. She loves striking up conversations and hearing stories from strangers, and isn't above a bit of bragging about her own travels. When push comes to shove she'll defend her friends so long as she feels relatively safe, if things are looking grave it's hard for her to resist the urge to flee. She doesn't have many close friends despite her knack for charming people, and hopes to find some she might like to stick around with for once. Ash longs to find out what happened to her old troupe but fears any survivors might hate her, and so she's avoided looking.

Backstory:
Ash grew up in the Roaring Cliffs clan, a typical clan full of traders and craftsmen, wandering from place to place. Her parents never seemed to care much for her interest in bladework, their professions in crafting musical instruments a far more refined art form than fencing, and besides, they had their paws full with her six siblings. So when a circus troupe went past Ash simply left with them. She felt guilty, certainly, her parents loved her, but she doubted they'd even notice her absence at all. She spent a good many years training under the circus's blademaster, learning how to fence and put on a show, picking up a number of other tumbling and acrobatic skills from her fellows as they travelled.

Contacts:
I wonít be making her family since thereís about eight of them and she hasnít seen them in some time but if it ever comes up and Iím accepted Iím more than happy to develop them a bit. Itís likely her parents would be upset with her but her siblings were decently fond of her.

The Moonlight Arcana Traveling Carnival
The troupe Ash spent many of her years with is full of colorful characters, most noticeably the troupe leader Ozadius, an ostentatious crimson tiefling who loves being the center of attention, Vogos Norosath, the triton blademaster who trained Ash, with little patience for ineptitude, and the Whistler and Thuria Stormclimber, two of the troupe members with whom Ash was fairly close. The Whistler is a small male kenku who participated in many of the more acrobatic acts and Thuria was mainly there to help with security, set up and tear down.

Jehkaz Steeloak
A blade smith and weapons merchant Ash has run across a few times and offered to help advertise with fencing bouts and sword tricks for a bit of coin occasionally. The man seems to like her well enough, although his somewhat dour demeanor certainly does not make her job easy.

Enlynn
A young female firbolg Ash met when first arriving at Argillon Falls. The girl had managed to get separated from her family and Ash helped her find them, and sheís checked up on the girl occasionally since then. Enlynn seems to be an aspiring artist, mostly with paintings created with paints she makes herself with the help of her parents. Sheís a bit shy, but happy to jabber away once the conversation turns to art.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25
TwilitRaven
Apologies for the last minute submission, finals week just ended so I finally had a moment to do this. I’m pretty sure everything is there, so unless there’s something I missed Ash should be complete.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:19 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you, TwilitRaven and Oztk. Sam and Ash will be considered along with the other applicants. No penalties for "late applications".

That said... I think that's it.

APPLICATIONS CLOSED!!

Look for invites tomorrow (Sunday).
Old 05-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
The wait is over. Thank you to everyone who applied. That was 23 players in the end. I'm inviting the following 5 people:

DonaldJWafer as Dolan Verlos

Mythrandil as Orilo Benthorn Thunukalathi

Oztk as Rosamund ĎSamí Smith

Quick Ben as Thomas Morgan

Sinister
as Shadow at Dawn

Come on down to the game thread and jump right in!