RPXP: 312
Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan
Curse of Strahd

CLOSED

Game Name
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSandbox, Campaign
FlavourSurvival, Dark, Horror, Gothic, Deadily
Plot SummaryUnder raging storm clouds, the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich stands silhouetted against the ancient walls of Castle Ravenloft. The vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich stares down a sheer cliff at the village below. A cold, bitter wind spins dead leaves about
him, billowing his cape in the darkness. Lightning splits the clouds overhead, casting stark white light across him. Strahd turns to the sky, revealing the angular muscles of his face and hands. He has a look of power-and of madness. His once handsome face is contorted by a tragedy darker than the night itself.

Rumbling thunder pounds the castle spires. The wind's howling increases as Strahd turns his gaze back to the village. Far below, yet not beyond his ken, a party of adventurers has just entered his domain. Strahd's face forms a twisted smile as his dark plan unfolds. He knew they were coming, and he knows why they have come-all according to his plan. He, the master of Ravenloft, will attend to them.

Another lightning flash rips through the darkness, its thunder echoing through the castle's towers. But Strahd is gone. Only the howling of the wind-or perhaps a lone wolf-fills the midnight air. The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.

Game Information
Party 4-7
Sources: All published WoTC sources except UA
Starting Level: 1
Character Sheet: Not required for application
Ability Scores: Dice roll in chat when game is set up. Don't roll here.
Gear: Starting gear per background, and class. You can also ask for various non important items. ex.. Smoking pipe, tobacco, hair brush.
Characters will be starting in the Forgotten Realms and not in Ravenloft.

Application
Name:
Race:
Alignment:
Class:
Background:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:

Players
 PlayerCharacterRaceClassBackgroundStatus Game
1Robbie Exley Helen ZaraheimProtector AasimarPaladinNobleComplete A
2fromthe1980s Smoky Tabaxi Storyteller (aka Bard) Charlatan Complete A
3DJP1961 Helga Fireforge Mountain Dwarf Cleric of Gond (Forge Domain) Sage (researcher) Complete A
4thawizkid Adran Galanodel High Elf Wizard (War Mage) Sage Complete A
5Tom the Bombadil Tanith Bitterleaf Human (Variant) Warlock (Pact of the Fiend) NobleComplete A
6Balazar Sabor Kilklin Dragonborn Ranger Outlander Complete B
7Drachenspirit Defiant Sparkle "Def" Tabaxi Fighter CriminalComplete B
8Touketsu Woodwind Kenku Bard Entertainer Complete B
9DonaldJWafer Tathrelor High Elf Wizard Sage: Wizard's ApprenticeComplete B
10Strange2099Alexander Anderson Human Cleric (Domain of Light) Acolyte Complete B
11LtTibbles Gedgit Seamfinder Deep Gnome Rogue Far Traveler Complete C
12tom0eh Solvar Human Monk Criminal Complete C
13Ysolde Tenebria Occidra Human Cleric of Shar (Death) Aristocrat Complete C
14Marshmallow Orianna Grace TieflingWarlock - Great Old One Entertainer - DancerComplete C
15Tarus Shyla Grimsbane Human Sorceress hermit Complete C
16RadarDTark Lizarkfolk Druid Outlander Complete C
17 versemicroverse ? ? ? ?Withdrawn 
18MossStone ? ? ? ?Interest 

About DM
I have been running this for over a year on Roll20. I also am running this on another pbp website. I am pretty familiar with the module and have many resources to help run it.
I have the availability to post regularly at least 3 nights a week during slow hours at work.

Last edited by Impaleddearan; 05-17-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 937
MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone
Posting possible interest sounds cool
Do we have to have played Ravenloft before? Can we make a PC not from Ravenloft?

Last edited by MossStone; 05-10-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:05 AM
The Dread Lord

Tools
User Statistics
No. It's fantastic if none of the players have any Ravenloft experience.

your characters will not be starting in Ravenloft. They will be starting in the Forgotten Realms.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 937
MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone
Cool Ill try to get a bio for you in the next 48 hours.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:37 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 147
Robbie Exley Robbie Exley
Name: Helen Zaraheim
Race: Protector Aasimar
Class: Paladin
Background: Noble
Alignment: Neutral Good

Appearance: Helen is a tall woman with dark grey skin, raven black hair and amber eyes (And wings once her Solar descended angelic heritage is fully unleashed). Her chain-mail has been singed by magic flames and her shield is embossed with the crescent moon of Artemis with her longsword constantly at her side and her pack on her back.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...Aasimar-5e.png

Personality:

Traits: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood. However if you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name and let your land be reclaimed by nature.

Ideal: Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity.

Bonds: Nothing is more important than the other members of my family. But I owe a debt of honor to the paladins who trained me.

Flaws: I hide a truly scandalous secret that could ruin what is left of my family forever (The exact details of how her family was decimated).

Helen is a determined yet kind woman, always seeking a peaceful solution wherever one is available and when she is not in combat she is quick to smile and laugh. However because of her past she is also extremely vengeful and ruthless when she is crossed which is only enhanced by the mental discipline that becoming a Paladin requires.

Motivation: Helen wishes to find her place in this new world and to protect any and all innocents she encounters.

Goal: Besides taking her final Oath Helen wishes to become powerful enough to seal the Lower Plains of Hell away from the Material Plane for good and to exterminate all necromancers who use their powers for evil purposes. Her plan to do this however is a completely different story.

Backstory: A wanderer with a darkened past Helen took up her role as a paladin after her husband foolishly made a deal with a coven of necromancers in a desperate bid to heal their dying son. When he tried to back out of the pact when he found out the price was the souls of every living thing in their town the furious coven assaulted the town, rallying the townsfolk Helen fought until she dropped. Bloodied, broken but unbowed she was rescued by five green knights, the paladins who would eventually train her and gave her new purpose but it was already too late. Many were killed, including her husband and infant son.

Campaign Hook/Reason for her appearance: In her dreams of late her Solar ancestor had been placing images in her head of blood spilled, storms of lightning and red eyes in the darkness. She is compelled both by duty and her forebear to investigate further.

Notes: If there are any details you need please let me know (I didn't notice if it was PHB exclusive or not but I do have another character prepared if need be). I look forward to your reply.

Last edited by Robbie Exley; 05-13-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 AM
Work-In-Progress

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 276
Tom the Bombadil Tom the Bombadil Tom the Bombadil
Name: Tanith Bitterleaf

Race: Human (Variant)

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Class: Warlock (Pact of the Fiend)

Background: Noble

Appearance: Very prim and proper, Tanith puts great effort into staying clean and groomed. Her once very fine blue and black garments are quite worn and faded. She tried to cover them with a simple black cloak.

Miss Bitterleaf's skin is very fair. Her hands are soft, having done very little physical work.

Personality: There are two different sides of Lady Bitterleaf. To those that don't know her well, she is cold and harsh. That is simply her exterior. Life has been hard on her, and her once cheerful disposition is not what it once was. For her, pragmatism is the new way.

Tanith can still be sweet and kind. She loves animals, music, and a good meal. They remind her of home, which she so terribly misses.

Backstory: Tanith's childhood was bliss. A scion of a young but influential noble house, she wanted for nothing most of her life. That all changed when her grandfather laid on his deathbed. His eyes were wet with tears. Edmund Bitterleaf was a very cheerful fellow, but looking at his granddaughter always lowered his spirits. Tanith never thought much of it.

Near the end, Edmund called Tanith to his bedside. Grandfather Bitterleaf's voice was weak. Speaking strained his being. "Tani, I'm sorry for what I've done to you."

She was puzzled by Ed's words. "But Grandpa, you've always been very kind to me. There's no need to be sorry. " Tanith put her hand comfortingly on his arm. This did nothing to console the dying man.

"When we're young, we don't always think about the ramifications of our choices. I surely didn't. All I thought about was renown and wealth. Being the fool that I was, I took what seemed the easy road. It wasn't until you were born that I rued the day that we Bitterleafs surpassed our peers." Edmund gave a hoarse cough. "I promised the soul of my first grandchild to Mephistopheles. Tani, I'm so very sorry that it was you. "

Tanith was in a state of disbelief. This couldn't be true. "Why are you telling me now? There's nothing I can do..."

"Don't give up girl, all is not yet written. Your soul is yours now, so act accordingly. It is until until your passing that you'll pass into the nine hells. Go out into the world, live life to the fullest, and you may find a way to keep what is rightfully yours. I love you." Edmund then fell quiet. He passed on to whatever was beyond.

Tanith gathered her things, said no final goodbyes, and left home. She trusted Grandpa Bitterleaf. Lady Bitterleaf traveled from to place to place in search of a way to protect her soul. Her powers slowly grew, a cruel gift from the being that sought to take everything from her. Tanith would use whatever she could to avoid an afterlife in hell.

Last edited by Tom the Bombadil; 05-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1068
Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar
All Dragons are Grey in the Dark
right-aligned image
Name: Sabor Kilklin

Race: Dragonborn

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Class: Ranger

Background: Outlander - Coming from a tribe of black Dragonborn from the underdark, Sabor began his career as a ranger by scouting out the surface and scavenging supplies for his subterranean kin.

Appearance: Standing a little over 6 feet tall and almost 250lbs, Sabor is surprisingly light on his feet for his size. The dark coloration of his scales, along with the darkly colored leathers and hides he usually wears, help him to disappear in the darkness when often only his yellow glinting eyes can be seen.

Personality: Sabor is bound by honor, and lives by a strict code. He will protect his tribe with whatever means seem necessary, but will be quick to deal out punishment if he senses a threat.

Motivation: Sabor failed his tribe some time ago, and his failure lead to their near extinction. He has since been banished and seeks to restore his honor so he may return home.

Backstory: Sabor's tribe, the Acidmaw's, once served the vile black dragon Chergontanth. When Sabor was but a wyrmling, his tribe rebelled against their evil ruler, refusing to do his bidding any longer and fled from his lands. Knowing that Chergontanth would hunt them down, they fled to the Underdark where they knew the black dragon would not follow. Sabor barely remembers any of this, but knows that though life was difficult for them in the Underdark, it was still good to be free.
Sabor grew up missing the sky, and he became of age he volunteered to scout the surface and bring back supplies for his people from the world above. Always careful to cover his tracks and move with stealth to avoid leading his tribe's old foe back to their hiding place, Sabor and his tribe learned that there were dangers in their new home as well.
During a time when Sabor should have been standing guard in one of their outer tunnels, he had instead traveled to the surface to watch the stars. A horde of undead came up through the tunnels that day, and without Sabor to sound the alarm they caught the Acidmaw tribe by surprise and killed many of their members. Sabor has since been banished from the Acidmaw tribe of the Underdark, and seeks to redeem himself on the surface so he may one day return home.

Last edited by Balazar; 05-13-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1068
Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar
Question, you mentioned no UA, but would you allow the revised ranger?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:09 AM
The Dread Lord

Tools
User Statistics
Yes
Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 904
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Posting for interest, always wanted to play Curse of Strahd. I'll try and get a character done by later today, just have to go through the hard decision of what kind of character to make.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 05-10-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 129
versemicroverse versemicroverse
Oh, this looks perfectly dreary! Interested ...
Old 05-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
DonaldJWafer
Application: Tathrelor

Basic Info
Name: Tathrelor
Race: High Elf
Alignment: CG
Class: Wizard
Background: Sage

Appearance
Tathrelor is tall (~6'0") and thin, he is young in elvish terms, 119 years old, so he retains a youthful glow about him. His skin is a pale, and his hair is a deep blue. He sports a neatly kempt mustache and goatee. His eyes are deep and black, eyes that some find difficult to trust when staring directly into them.

Personality
Tathrelor is a little eccentric, he often says things or makes jokes that no one around him understands. He has a good heart, but struggles to communicate emotions, it is very difficult for him to outwardly give direct compliments. As such, he has always struggled with romantic relationships.

Internally, Tathrelor tends to be arrogant, he believes himself to be the smartest one in the room. However, he is mindful to how this attitude is perceived by others and does a good job to at least pretend to take other's ideas and considerations into account. He hides this so well, that even those who know him best are unaware of this inner hauteur.

Trait: I have no patience for ridiculous superstitions about magic.
Ideal: Magic should be used to protect and improve the lives of the common people
Bond: I often think of the family I left behind when I became an apprentice, but I worry my father would never approve of the path I have chosen.
Flaw: I always assume myself to be the smartest one in the room.

Motivation: Tathrelor is driven to be a force for good in the world, but he also has ambitions to be a powerful wizard. He left the academy sooner than advised because he felt that his study had become too academic, and felt that he could do more for the world and learn more if he was out in it.

Backstory
Tathrelor was raised in a small isolated tribe of elves. This community worshipped no god but rather mother nature and the circle of life itself. His father, Quarian, was a great wizard and one of the elders in the community. One of the defining moments in Tathrelor's life was on a journey through the forest that his father that was to teach him of the world and usher him into manhood.

From this point on, Tathrelor cast away the values of his community and vowed to be a force for good in the world. He decided that each and every person's whims and desires were actually part of that larger natural process, and to ignore them was in a way fighting against nature's will. Shortly after returning home, Tathrelor packed his things and left.

He enrolled in a Arcane Academy where he learned the basics of magic, and he has now set out upon the world to use his skills to help those who cannot help themselves.

Last edited by DonaldJWafer; 05-10-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: updating background; I didn't realize the one I chose was homebrew.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:06 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9862
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application
right-aligned image
Character Name: Defiant Sparkle "Def"

Race: Tabaxi

Class: Fighter - Archtype: TBD, possibly Arcane Archer

Background: Criminal

Alignment: CG

Physical Description: Def is 6/5" tall when standing full erect, which isn't a common thing. She's cunningly, and devilishly pretty, which gives her a certain charm. Unlike some Tabaxi, she smiles quite often, a thing made obvious by the showing of her longer teeth, and usually followed by a teasing word and tone. She keeps her hair immaculate most of the time, though not bound so her mane flies around when she's doing anything athletic or acrobatic.

Motivation: Def loves life. Getting to know her means getting to understand that her value of things materialistic is strictly relegated to their purpose. She only has coin to get something else. She only sees it as trade, and though she understands the coin bartering system, she doesn't like it too much since too many are too infatuated with shiny coins.

Personality, Traits, Bond, Ideals, and Flaws: Her almost constant jesting and daring ideas sometimes makes it difficult to know when she's serious or just foolhardy.

She's a wanderer and traveler in a way even an elf struck with wanderlust would have difficulty with. Her idea of personal space is way different, or perhaps nonexistent than most folks. She'll blithely invade your space with absolutely no idea that she's done so.

It was clear early on that she was far from wherever she calls home as she sees everything (almost) as strange and wonderful, and if someone says she doesn't know their ways or the ways of this place she'll often remark, "They don't know mine either, so who's got the upper paw now?"
Though she's fascinated by the beauty and wonder of these new lands she is in, it is clear that her freedom is her most precious possession, and no one will take that from her - and this is how all should feel.

She will often pretend not to speak the language to avoid an interaction she's rather not have.

Her greatest weakness is how she can be taken in by what she sees as the exotic beauty of the places and peoples of these lands, as well as their new drinks of alcohol.

Background: She was no more than a kit when she came to these lands with a friend of the family. Or maybe he was family. Or maybe her family is so large, she can't keep up. Anyway, she had just cut her teeth, her adult teeth, when her friend and fellow Tabaxi, just up and disappeared. She took up with a band of folk who liked to acquire, sell, and dodge authorities who disagreed with this way of doing things, and learned their traits. It's kept her out of trouble... well, out of serious trouble, as she's bounced around from one thing to another, and always wanting to see something new. She'll quickly become the town's ruffian, so to speak after a time and will take to the title fairly well.
So it's right good timing for some of the local folk that she has "decided" to do this thing. For her, it's terrible timing as she'll learn later.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 05-10-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:49 PM
The Dread Lord

Tools
User Statistics
Please make sure you guys backgrounds anc types are all inside a published WoTC book. No homebrew.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 904
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Name: Orianna Grace
Race: Tiefling
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Class: Warlock - Great Old One
Background: Entertainer - Dancer
Appearance:
  • 5'2
  • Curled Horns, like that of a ram.
  • Black Eyes.
  • A pale, barely Porcelain Complexion.
  • Dark Blue hair tied in a bun.

Personality: I love a good insult, even one directed at me.
Motivation: Orianna finds there is no greater motivator in life than power. The intimate embrace of a lover on a winters night? Boring. The clinking of a fattened coin purse? Neglible. The look of fear on a brigands face when whispers begin to fill his empty, hollow skull and the rhapsodic howls of pain as they tear him apart from within his own, tiny little mind? Total bliss.

Backstory

I'm noticing a few people picking CG alignment and if anybody wants I could easily cook up a Monk / Warlock that's more XG friendly.
Closed Thread