RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Saath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1258
Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88
The Shrieking Pits

THE SHRIEKING PITS

All around the world, a legend is known. When the moon is full and the shadows of the night are long, a great maw opens in the earth, and from it issue a thousand screams. The pit goes by many names, and is never in one place for more than a single night, yet all who know the stories know to stay away, for those who venture into the writhing black do not return.

The pit belches forth undead monstrosities wherever it forms, and these can rot the earth, killing crops and even spreading the vile plague of undeath across the land. Thus, long ago the order of the Silver Nightbird was formed to follow the pit and quench its evil before greater destruction could be wrought. But the Nightbirds were always a step behind, the pits movements seemingly random and impossible to predict.

The bustling river-town of Wroughtwood is sprawled across one side of the Emerald River, opposing the densely packed Dorian Forest. It's something of a crossroads, being equidistant between the two great holds - that of Everest high in the mountains and Springdale to the west. East of Wroughtwood is the sleepy village of Grassroot, a place where folk go for a simpler life, and then nothing but wilderness for hundreds of miles until the fabled Salt Coast. Wroughtwood is a hub of travel for explorers, merchant traders, mercenaries, heroes, and people of all ilk, and so it is here that the babbling elven wizard Dr. Lorn has set up a post calling any and all who have experience in dealing with the undead.

CHARACTER CREATION
Characters will start out at 3rd level, I am ok with any playable Wizards of the Coast race, class, and subclass. If you wanna do something homebrew that already exists, let me know. If you wanna make something with me, let me know. I am open to either of those things, but obviously I'm gonna have to read it over.

For ability scores, roll 4d6, keep the highest three. Reroll 1s.
I will also allow each player to begin play with one uncommon magic item or two common magic items in addition to standard starting gear.

This will be a shorter kind of dungeon-crawl campaign. There will be opportunities for roleplaying, but the majority will be the pits themselves. I have run a couple games on this site and they almost never finish just because PBP takes longer, so this is a much smaller scope thing than usual.

Last thing, I don't need character sheets with the application. Just a character and a backstory.
Look forward to reading your apps!

Edit 1: Feels like I’ve been saying a couple things over and over so I figured I’d just stick em here and save myself some letters!
Here’s a couple questions you might want to consider when writing your backstory.
1. Why is you character in Wroughtwood? This is essentially the edge of civilization for hundreds of miles. Wroughtwood is a hub of trade and commerce for this part of the world, so it makes sense that plenty of people are traveling through, but what attracted you specifically?
2. What on earth could possibly be compelling you to take a contract to delve into the Shrieking Pits? These pits have a mythical reputation for being bad news, and nobody - NOBODY who goes in comes back out. Furthermore, there are no pits in or near Wroughtwood at the moment, just a crazy wizard convinced he knows where the next one will be.

Furthermore, I’d like to provide a bit more background for the setting so people can play off it and get a better feeling for their characters.

Ok! I think that’s about it for now. If anyone has any questions or anything, please just let me know!
I think I’ try and edit this a little more tomorrow if I can, and I want to flesh out Wroughtwood even more. Given the chance, maybe on friday, I’ll make some maps and stuff!
Alrighty, and if you want to revise an app you’ve already submitted with this new info, I’ll be going around and making sure I have all of everyone’s most recent stuff before I choose players.

Last edited by Chchazz88; 05-21-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:39 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8089
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application - Completed
right-aligned image
Name: Scarlett Stormblood

Race: Human

Class: Warlock [Patron - The Raven Queen]

Background: Bounty Hunter

Physical Description: She stands 5'6" tall with Ebony hair, light blue eyes, and fair skin. She wears no armor and fitting clothes. She's quite shapely and fetching, and there always seems to be a Raven on her shoulder. She looks at you with a pleasant gaze that seems to say she could smile at any moment.

Reputation: Scarlett is becoming known as an Undead Hunter and even Bounty Hunter of sorts. She has no problem collecting a bounty of a beast or person whom The Raven Queen had deemed a target. Most of the time it was those who were into something unnatural that upset the balance between life and death, more on the death side of course. Most people didn't quite get what concerned The Raven Queen, and thus Scarlett, and what didn't seem to concern her. Sometimes she seemed to genuinely care about someone or some community, then another time she wouldn't seem to be bothered in the least when say a plague or disease befell a community. "Death comes to us all; no one escapes", is something she has said often, and sometimes in the worst of times and places.

Background: Scarlett was born into the Stormblood family in Wroughtwood. The Stormbloods are part noble, part merchant, and 100% movers and shakers. She has siblings who are such things as a professional thief, a wizard, and warrior adventurer. Her parents are merchants, mid level nobles, and Agents of more than one regional Faction. As a young girl, she was searching, and dabbling in the arcane arts from her older sisters tomes and scrolls, when she came across a spell she thought would give her wisdom and knowledge. Instead, it made her known to the Raven Queen, and thus her journey began. Her older sister knows who her arcane patron is, but has decided to just keep an eye on her little sister for now and not get involved - nor get their parents involved.
Her family is close, but only to a point. One could go for a year without seeing another, and not be upset on either side, just living each to their own life.
In Wroughtwood, she came across someone dabbling in the dead gods and trying to hide a murder or two. With the Raven Queen's guidance, she found them out and brought them to justice, revealing their deeds. She's done the odd other job or two, and just let folks think she's an odd duck and a bounty hunter. In truth, she's just out to set things right, with the altered view of the Raven Queen of course.

RP sample: Ravens are ridiculously intelligent, and have a high level of cognitive control when presented with tasks and even tools to get them delayed food rewards. They even understand bartering when tested and the ability to resist the urge to take an immediate reward in favor of getting a better one in the future. These capacities are often considered the exclusive domain of humans, humanoids, and great apes, so their presence in Ravens comes as a surprise almost every time.
Even if all this were taken into consideration, this particular Raven, sitting on this particular hitching post was far more than this. It's name is Red, though only the one it is in service to knows why she calls it that. Futhermore, it is not only more intelligent that a normal Raven, it is not a normal Raven by any description of the word normal, or the word Raven. It could be said that it is a spirit in the form of a Raven; not that anyone could tell by looking at it.
It cocks it's head and hops just like a normal Raven, though it does seem intent on watching the Farrier and the man whose horse he is tending to at the moment.
"So it was a hairy man, and not a wolf", says the Farrier.
I dunno for sure about the hairy man, but it wasn't a wolf. It was up on two legs" , says the man who brought the horse in.
"And once you turned and came back this way, it stopped chasing you. That right?"
"Seemed thataway. Like I was in its territory more than it wanted to do me harm."
"Could be it woulda done you harm had you stayed in its territory. Wait. What am I sayin'. The territory you're talkin' 'bout is to the west, not no... way out desolate place. Course... some would argue that's exactly what it is out there."
"I could see the tops of the town buildings and houses before I turned back. Hey. That's not bad. Quick work too", said the man when he saw the Farrier was done.
"Weren't much to it. Just somethin' knocked the shoe loose is all. C'mon inside and we'll settle up", he said as he led the man into his makeshift office inside the stables.

The Raven flitted up to the top of the saddle of the mount that had just been reshod and canted its head as if it were trying to listen to the men who went inside.
After a moment it then flitted to the ground in the narrow alley between the Stable and the business next door before flapping back into the Shadow.
In a moment a pretty Ebony haired human woman in fitted attire and traveler's dress stepped out of the shadow, the Raven on her shoulder.
She said to the Raven, "You're right. That's the 9th conversation we've listened to in the past day or so that indicates the same thing. Something is cheating death, the natural way of it at least. More than one something from what I've heard. Doesn't sound like undead, but it isn't more times than not. Whoever, or whatever you are, the Queen awaits you. And it's my job to make sure you are not late. Come Red, let's go. Scout the way please."
The Raven takes off and heads out of town on the road to the west, the woman seeing what it sees in her minds' eye.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 05-14-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2451
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus

Name:
Race:
Class:

Background:

Physical Description:

Background:

RP sample:

Last edited by Rylus; 05-15-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:57 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88
Hobbit
Denda Sweetleaf

Race: Lightfoot Halfling
Class: Cleric of Tymora
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Acolyte

Quote:
History

Denda Sweetleaf is a young Lightfoot Halfling who was raised by loving parents in Springdale. Her parents were bakers, and devout followers of a lawful and good deity. Denda herself was passionate, strong-willed, and curious, and not interested in the rigid traditions of her family. When her parents would sleep Denda would to sneak out to get drunk with dwarves and have fist fights with gnomes, and even began to worship a different deity. Her parents grew concerned, and urged her to join a convent in service to their strict deity. Denda railed against the idea, and her kind-hearted parents would not force her, and so a compromise was reached.

Denda joined the church of Tymora, goddess of good fortune.

Denda enjoyed much of her time with the church. Their focus on interacting with the public, the general merriment, the personal freedom the church espoused, all resonated deeply with the cloistered halfling. While she embodied the spirit of the churches teachings, the elder clerics found her lack of moderation troubling. Denda’s love of festivities (and alcohol in particular) brought down the ire of her elders in the church more than once. The final straw came after a drunken episode resulting in Denda needing to be bailed out of a local jail in Wroughtwood.

Furious with Denda, the priestess of her coven cast her out of the church until Denda can make amends. Denda is required to earn (and then donate) a large tithe to be paid to the church, and she may only earn the money through good and noble deeds. Denda wandered through Wroughtwood, dejected and hopeless, until stumbling across a poster written by Dr. Lorn.

Personality Traits:
1: Denda is kind and empathetic. She will always avoid hurting others whenever possible. She feels other's pain as sharply as she feels her own. She trusts many people unconditionally.
2: Denda is light-hearted and playful. She likes jokes, riddles, music, and celebration. She tends to be optimistic and rarely takes herself seriously.

Ideal:
Denda is selfless. She will lay down her life for the innocent or her companions, even though she may be terrified while she does so. She is also a free spirit. She cannot tolerate oppression, domination, or authority.

Bond:
Denda must pay a debt to her temple, a large treasure that she may only earn through good and noble deeds.

Flaws:
1: Denda is short-sighted and hedonistic. This manifests itself through laziness, boredom with serious matters, and alcoholism.

Last edited by Hobbit; 05-12-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 270
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Are you open to UA Ranger?
Old 05-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Name: Gareth
Race: Human (Variant)
Classs (Subclass): Barbarian (Zealot)
Background: Acolyte (Raven Queen)

Backstory:
Gareth was a strange lad growing up. He always kept to himself and was quiet while in polite company. Some thought he was just a little slow in the head, but those who took a closer look at his eyes could tell that he was all there upstairs, and he was watching...always. Many of the neighborhood kids enjoyed throwing rocks at him because he was always bigger than them. It gave them a sense of superiority over someone that could snap their neck with a simple punch to the chin. He never fought back but instead walked away without saying a word. His fists were shaking in anger. The second he rounded the corner, he punched a hole through the wooden wall of a shed. His favorite place to think was at the local graveyard. Nobody bothered him and there were plenty of people (albeit dead) for him to talk to.

He grew up into a strong man and was given the job of groundskeeper at the graveyard. This was mainly for the populous to keep him at arm’s length and to fulfill an occupation that nobody else wanted. One night, he was making his usual rounds when he found a grave had been unearthed. He readied his club and searched. The man heard a noise behind him and turned to face the ghoul who smiled wickedly at him while perched atop a tombstone. He barely had time to swing the club before the ghoul raked a claw across his face. The gravekeeper immediately started to feel weak and fell over like a statue onto the cold earth. The ghoul licked his bleeding cheek and slowly opened its jaws to take a bite. Before it could enjoy its meal, it recoiled away and growled at a figure Gareth could barely make out in his peripheral. The figure lashed out with a sword made of pure silver. The two continued their dance of death while Gareth started to get the feeling back in his limbs. He was starting to get really pissed off at how helpless he felt and his rage grew with each passing second. The cloaked figure had finally skewered the ghoul with his sword and bent over to inspect the corpse. Gareth saw another hidden ghoul sneaking up behind the figure. He had enough. This was his sanctuary and it will not be desecrated. He picked up a tombstone that had been knocked over in the fight and swatted the ghoul out of midair as it leaped at the cloaked warrior. The figure barely had time to spin around with his blade before the young man had crushed the ghoul’s head with the heavy tombstone.

“Who are you and why are these things in my graveyard?!” Gareth roared out while raising the tombstone again to swipe at the man if he didn’t not answer him. The figure held up his hand in peace and put away his sword. He pulled back his hood and let his holy symbol of the Raven Queen drop onto his chest. It was a male elf with very pale features and black hair. “Take it easy kid. I’m not your enemy. I have been hunting these ghouls for a few days now. Thanks for the assistance. I suppose you can call us even then.” He looks at Gareth with an appraising glance. “What do you think about these creatures kid? What would you say if I told you there were more of them around here? Would you lend me a hand?” Gareth put down the tombstone and looked at the ghouls with disgust. Gareth picked up his club and laid it against his shoulder. The figure smirked,” I’ll take that as a yes.” As they walked, the elf asked him one very important question. “So kid, what do you know about the Raven Queen...?”

From then on the young man became an acolyte of the Raven Queen. He was trained to fight the forces of the undead and to channel his rage into a potent weapon of righteous fury. He now wears a black executioner’s hood to cover the grisly scars on his face from the first ghoul that attacked him. His halberd was always stained red and black from the blood of the undead he killed. He was often sent on missions to exterminate pockets of undead that rose up or eliminate necromancers. So one day he was sent by the order to the village of Wroughtwood with one of the flyers that Dr. Lorn sent out about the need for warriors with experience with the undead.

https://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/...05nov12c_1.jpg
Old 05-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Saath

Tools
User Statistics
Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88
Wow guys! Thanks for the apps! I really enjoyed reading through the tumultuous background of Denda Sweetleaf and her unkempt taste for alcohol, as well as the waxing legacy of the enigmatic Gareth the Groundskeeper!
As far as the other comments go;
Quote:
Since this looks like going against a lot of undead, would a Warlock with The Raven Queen as her patron be acceptable?
It absolutely would, yes. I’m not sure how that would work exactly, maybe patron of the undying? I’m originally a 3.5 DM and in that edition Warlocks are complete GARBO, so I’m not as familiar with them in this version.
As for Rylus’s oh-so-secret text... what specifically? I’m not familiar with that source, so I’d need something to review, if you please!
To Treble83, I will simply reply: yes sir.
Thanks again everybody, and I’m looking forward to some more apps!
Old 05-12-2019, 01:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Saath

Tools
User Statistics
Ok, Rylus, I looked it over and I think it's a really cool class, don't get me wrong, but for the purposes of this dungeon crawl I think I have to veto that one. Sorry my guy. There are aspects to the dungeon that in all honesty would kinda nerf the class.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5088
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
right-aligned image

Name: U'pahtea (Silent One) (Given Name: Traxian Liadon)
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Barbarian 1/ Druid 2
Background: (Hermit, alternative: Medicine, Stealth)
Trait: I've been isolated for so long that I rarely speak,preferring gestures and the occasional grunt.
Ideals: Self-knowledge with Live and Let Live
Bonds: I'm still seeking the enlightenment I pursued in my seclusion, and it still eludes me.
Flaws: I harbor dark, bloodthirsty thoughts that my isolation and meditation failed to quell.
Backstory:
About 100 years ago, a young wood elf barbarian left his city camp. He harbored dark and bloodthirsty thoughts (Flaw), and while they gave him some power, he decided to go where he could avoid them or at least act on them appropriately. As the seasons passed, he learned magic from the very forest, and in his initial attempts, made contact with druids. He chose a new name, Úpahtea (The Mute, or Speechless) or rather was given that name by some more talkative colleagues (he doesn't really have friends).

While wandering alone in the wilds, he eventually came across the Silver Nightbirds. He became a messenger and scout for them, able to travel alone in the natural wilds. And so he continues his walking meditation, trying to ease, or at least control, the rage inside him.

By chance he arrived in this town/city. Seeing the note, and hating undead as a blasphemy of life, he has decided to help.
OOC:
Just looking for a game where I can play a bearbarian. I've been wanted to try it out.

Thinking he is currently maybe still an apprentice or maybe a "civilian contractor" to the Nightbirds as U'pa shows little interest in hierarchies or ranks. Basically, I don't know how secretive you want the Nightbirds to be, so U'pa could be kept outside the group while knowing of their existence and doing whatever useful things you might want him to do.

Depending on DM whim, the "chance" of his arrival could be actual chance or that he had a message/letter to give someone (the elven wizard, perhaps?)

Old 05-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Ok, Rylus, I looked it over and I think it's a really cool class, don't get me wrong, but for the purposes of this dungeon crawl I think I have to veto that one. Sorry my guy. There are aspects to the dungeon that in all honesty would kinda nerf the class.
Understandable, was worth asking in any case i'll get back to the drawing board as they say.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88
Hobbit
Cleaned up my app a bit, and added some traits. I also wanted to mention that I have a lot of experience with PbP roleplaying, and a lot of experience with 3.5, but this is my first time with 5th edition. I am hoping for a simple campaign so I can get my head around the system, and this seems like the right campaign for it. So I hope you don't mind a newbie.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:51 PM
Saath

Tools
User Statistics
Ooooh, the Bearbarian haha! U'pahtea the Wood Elf. I like it! As far as tying your backstory in, I think we should create another character that belongs to the Silver Nightbirds with whom you rendezvous. You would maybe be an agent, but like more of a fledgling member because of the whole burning internal rage thing -- which I totally dig, by the way!
Lets call her Len, a half-elf, tall and thin and magical (as half-elves are), but also strong and mysterious, and unshakable. The kind of person who can look right through you without a word. She sees you as a person with a lot of potential, but also a lot of scars and baggage from your past which you need to unpack and deal with if you're ever going to become a full-fledged member of the Silver Nightbirds - and also if you're ever going to heal enough to rejoin the civilized world.
I think there is also the aspect of the strong silent type, and how that can often manifest in games. Even if U'pahtea isn't really friends with anyone in the party, and prefers to keep to himself, that doesn't mean you should be absent from the game. There are plenty of ways to interact with people without talking or smiling.
I think you have the beginnings of a good character, Fuerdrake, but I want to see a little more development of those core concepts.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Saath

Tools
User Statistics
Lol, also, I hope you still make an application @Rylus, and I love the additions @Hobbit! Funnily enough, this dungeon is actually taken from a much longer game I wrote and played in 3.5. I converted it to pathfinder for a later iteration, and to 5e for the most recent tabletop game, which I'm actually still running in RL!
So far, 5e is very easy to just pick up and play, especially if you've played D&D before. If anything will trip you up, it'll be the fact that certain things are way simplified or even absent entirely. As a DM, I do tend to homebrew a lot of stuff, so if we come to a point where a specific rules system isn't working, I'll make a thread where we can spitball potential revisions or alternate ideas. To be honest, it kind of goes against my nature to refrain from including a bunch of alternate rules from the get-go, but I'm trying to make this an easy game, so I've told myself no!
Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5088
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
--- U'pahtea Update: ---
Age 175

Backstory:
About 100 years ago, a young wood elf barbarian left his city camp. He harbored dark and bloodthirsty thoughts, and while they gave him some power, he decided to go where he could avoid them or at least act on them appropriately. As the seasons passed, he learned magic from the very forest, fields, deserts and Mountains: he fell into the Way of the Druid.

Some fifty years ago he encountered a half-elf, Len, in some dire straights. He helped her to a town and continued on his travels. A few years later, she found him, and they traveled together for a time. Without any name, she gave him one: Úpahtea (The Mute, or Speechless). U'pa liked it and accepted the gift.

A few years after that, Len once again found U'pa in his wanderings. She asked him to carry a letter. Many used Magic for communication, but sometimes greater secrecy was needed even if the effort took more time. The wild elf who eschewed roads became a messenger. It was only after several missives that Len finally told U'pa about the Silver Nightbirds and their sacred mission.

And so, for the last 20 years, U'pa has, with characteristic apathy, carried letters for the Nightbirds. Unknown to many, including himself, U'pa's deliveries have been key to several historical events. Len is his only friend and perhaps the only person who sees him more than once a third year.

And so it begins again: with a letter, U'pa arrived to this town. By chance he saw the posted notice. Hating undead as a blasphemy of life, he has decided to stay a short while to help.

Part of the RP of the character will be trying to communicate with the other characters (and, by extension, the other players) by describing U'pa's actions and body language rather then using words. It's not that he hates everyone, it's that he's filled with shame and anger, and he just doesn't let people in.

What do you think about my attempt at Len, Agent of Shield Sliver Nightbird? No idea of what class. I assumed something high charisma, perhaps a bard.

I'm imagining that he has been Forest Gump Walking (rather than jogging) for nigh 80 years. Rough back of the envelope calculations: 3.5 miles/hr, for 10 hrs a day, for 365 days a year for 80 years: 1,022,000 miles. He's been crisscrossing the continent many times over. By bare-foot (and later, bear and wolf foot).