RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2143
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81
Bookfellow
I've a vague idea for a Cleric (Forge domain), but it begs the question: what is religion like in this world? Do we have freedom to make up a belief system for our character, or is there an existing structure that we should fit in to?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 442
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Application is done and ready for review
Old 05-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Some Believe in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1108
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Old 05-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
@Bookfellow You're free to have a specific god of your choice, Im following the general Faerun lore there. But if there's someone else you have in mind, feel free to incorporate them.

@Silent Rain, Thanks for letting me know, when I review it better this evening, I'll probably PM you .

@Astra
Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1298
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM
Some Believe in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1108
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Wonderful, thank you.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1055
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookfellow View Post
I've a vague idea for a Cleric (Forge domain), but it begs the question: what is religion like in this world? Do we have freedom to make up a belief system for our character, or is there an existing structure that we should fit in to?
i ws thinking a forge cleric as well....I was leaning toward no god or faith just using the cleric chasis.

Then again i may never get around to it, so please apply.

Last edited by JohnStone; 05-14-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Bookfellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStone View Post
i ws thinking a forge cleric as well....I was leaning toward no god or faith just using the cleric chasis.

Then again i may never get around to it, so please apply.
Go for it! I've been sort of foundering around, trying to get my teeth around my vague idea, without much success.

And then I re-read the original post, and saw the Demolitionist. And now I have a non-vague Idea....
Old 05-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yes! I was hoping someone would bite into that class!
Old 05-14-2019, 05:12 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Bookfellow
Still very much WIP, but....
right-aligned image

Basil Blaggerstahl
Chaotic Neutral Human Male, aged 26
Rogue/Demolitionist, Font of the Engineer.

Appearance: Basil prefers to go masked, ostensibly because he's a wanted man...but honestly, it's because he has a face like a poorly shaved weasel. Short and skinny as he is, he uses the mask and a heavy black cloak to make himself look a little more intimidating.

But only a little.

His close-cropped hair is brown, as are his eyes. Basil generally sports a number of minor burns and shallow cuts (as does his clothing), but has thus far managed to avoid suffering any significant scars. This bothers him a little -- surely a wicked scar will make him look more impressive! -- but not quite enough to do anything stupid about it.

Personality:
“What I am, friend, is an innovator. Big word, I know, but it’s a big thing, ain’t it? See, I’m a man what knows that the old ways, they ain’t necessarily the best ways. Take yer sword, eh? Big, sharp…does the job, don’t it? Satisfyin’, no doubt, when yer loppin’ a man’s head off. But you gotta get close, eh? Close enough for the other fella to stick a yard of steel through yer guts. Me, I found a better way! Blow a man up, he’ll know yer a force to be reckoned with, eh? Well, no, he won’t…’cause he’s too busy bein’ dead an’ all!

“A man’s gotta be willing to think himself some new thoughts, that’s what I say. Need to dig yerself a well? Backbreakin’ work, that is, and it takes time! Time better spent doin’ damn near anythin’ else! Now, you use one of my little wonders, and you’ll have yerself a nice deep hole in no time at all! Throw yer shovel on the fire, you won’t need it no more! Just don’t throw one of my beauties along with it, not if yer likin’ the face yer currently wearin’.”

“Part of bein’ an innovator, y’see, is bein’ a man of action. Can’t waste time talkin’ when there’s things that need doin’, am I right? Sure, yer takin’ a risk…but you do that every time you draw breath! Make it count, that’s what I say! Them fellows ain’t gonna blow themselves up, are they now? And if you ain’t the one to do it, who will be? No, no…a man’s got a responsibility to act, dammit. Ain’t nothin’ gonna change if there ain't nobody willin’ to do what’s needful. And friend, I don't mind sayin' it: there's a lot that's needful these days."

Background: Urchin.

History:
Basil is almost certain that he had a mother, which leads to the obvious conclusion that he must have had a father as well. Having never met these people, he spares them little thought. They're likely dead, after all. Most people are, in the Wildlands. For all that, he was lucky. He was stealing almost as soon as he could walk, and that was enough for the Bedlam Boys to take him under their crooked wing. He had brothers now, and a place to sleep, and he wasn't going to bed hungry every night. Just most of them. Narrow's Edge wasn't an an easy place to live, nor a safe one, but by the standards of the Wildlands the place was virtually a paradise.

Why he saved the old man, Basil can't say. Didn't know then, doesn't know now, and hasn't spent even a moment caring. He just saw the blade, and he acted. Took a wicked cut along his side, but slowed the knife-man down enough for the old man to beat his assailant to death with an iron cane. And then it was Dr. Archenvalt's turn to save a life. A brief convalescence turned into an apprenticeship, as Basil showed a startling aptitude for the Great Art. Five years passed this way, five good years...until Lord Hobbeswell and his entourage arrived in Narrow's Edge. Rumors of Dr. Archenvalt's researxhes had spread, and grown twisted as they did. Hobbeswell expected a man who could turn lead into gold, as easy as that, and not an aged lunatic babbling about fulminants and phlogistonic essence. He expressed his displeasure in the traditional way; it took the Doctor several long hours to die.

Lord Hobbeswell, on the other hand, died instantly when his carriage exploded the following morning. The flames were a striking shade of azure; Dr. Archenvalt had a certain fondness for blue.

Basil vanished that day as well, albeit in a much less messy fashion than Lord Hobbeswell. Less thoroughly by some measures, as well; broadsides bearing Basil's likeness are still to be found on walls and on trees in the territory surrounding Narrow's Edge.

The boy, still a year shy of his seventeenth summer, fled to the west. That he still carried the brand of the Bedlam Boys on his left wrist proved a boon, and Basil joined the infamous Iron Teeth. Whether they were mercenaries or bandits was a subject of much debate within the band, although most agreed that it was little more than a matter of semantics. The years that followed were eventful ones, and he's not altogether proud of what he did during this time. It did serve to hone his hatred of what he calls "leeches"; those with money and power, who sit in luxury while they pay others to fight and die in their name.

Basil's on his own now. The rest of the Iron Teeth lay rotting under an uncaring sky, ordered into a battle they had no chance of winning. But Basil, he's kept himself busy. He's made plans, and news of this "mana" is raising all sorts of interesting ideas. All he needs now is a way out of the Wildlands, and he can start changing the world. Explosively.

Posting availability: Generally daily, although weekends are often tough for me.

A Brief Note: Chaotic neutral tends to raise a red flag -- not, in my experience, without reason. Rest assured, I have no intention of playing a disruptive character. He will not spoil every plan by running in and throwing explosives willy-nilly, nor will he do crazy things for the sake of being crazy. He's an anarchist, not a psychopath.

Last edited by Bookfellow; 05-15-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Imaginary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1723
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Haylen Corver
Race: Korrigan
Class: Artificer, Wandslinger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Appearance: Haylen has long, dark hair and the characteristic slender build of the korrigan. She keeps her pale skin mostly covered with form fitting clothing. Although she can no longer maintain herself in the sort of finery her people prefer, she does her best to make the rags she's been reduced to befit her regal bearing. Her irises are an icy silver color which can be unsettling, although she tends to keep her features neutral to offset that effect with the living races of the world. Otherwise, her features are delicate, and in a certain light she might be considered beautiful even if it in an ethereal way. Her characteristic korrigan fangs are not too pronounced, the pointed canine teeth usual hidden behind a neutral expression.

Personality: Haylen is a study in contrasts. She was raised with the belief that the korrigan are the apex form of sentient life in the world, but she lives daily with the uncertainty of having no family, no brood with which to surround herself. She is sarcastic (sometimes to the point of rudeness) as a way to keep the world at arms length, but yearns deeply for a sense of belonging and purpose that her life in the Wildlands did not provide.
Confident. Haylen probably spends more time on the arrogant side of the border, but she prefers to view her belief in herself and her skills as a kind of confidence. She has learned through hard lessons to keep her opinions about her innate superiority to herself, but that doesn't mean she isn't thinking it.
Uncertain. Despite her confidence in herself, she is gravely uncertain about her place in the world without her brood. Her several years of wandering through the inhospitable Wildlands have only added to that feelings because if this is all the world has to offer, maybe she doesn't even want a place in it.
Sarcastic. The loss of her family and the hardships of the Wildlands have left Haylen jaded about most other sentient beings. And it is easier to assume the worst of people than hope for the best. This can make it hard to get to know the young korrigan (unless that is your brand of humor), but she is capable of holding her tongue and playing nice when needed.
Committed. Once Haylen's trust or respect is earned, she, almost by nature, is a true and committed friend. That is how broods survive and that is the only way that Haylen knows how to be with those that she considers family.

Background: Outlander. Being from the Wildlands is one thing, but growing up with the nomadic korrigan is another step removed from normal civilization.
Trait. I'm always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes accidentally breaking them.
Ideal. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.
Bond. I will bring terrible wrath down on the evildoers who destroyed my home.
Flaw. I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.
History: Haylen has lived her entire life in the Wildlands. For much of that time, it was in the secure embrace of her brood: the Corvers. Never one of the more powerful families nor holders of any true territory, their nomadic existence was supported by an industrious nature and respect for family common among korrigans. Haylen had shown an aptitude for the art of artifice early on, and her interest was always encouraged as a valuable skill that could benefit the brood. Generally, her existence was one of survival. Haylen is nothing if not a survivor. Which is probably why she is the only survivor from her family following a brutal battle with another korrigan brood. Since her whole world was flipped on its ear, Haylen has been making her own way in the Wildlands, surviving how she can, drifting from one project to the next with no real hope or plan for the future.
Haylen's experiences are the primary driver for current moral alignment. Growing up in the Wildlands is almost the definition of chaos. Why believe in a set of laws beyond what you and your people can enforce? Why expect anything in the random universe to follow some sort of grand plan when everyone you know can be wiped out in a moment?
And growing up as a brood korrigan is an exercise in neutrality. In every korrigan body is the delicate balance between life and death, "good" and "evil". This view is only enforced by the way the other races treat korrigan. Korrigan children are taught to embrace the balance, lest they spiral out of control or become maudlin about their dual nature.
Posting Availability: My goal is always to not have a game waiting on my posting. I'm on RPGx pretty much daily, and can usually post as such. In the interest of full disclosure, I've got a family vacation in June where internet might be spotty, but that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Last edited by Quick Ben; 05-17-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Quick Ben- Nice to see the interest in the Korrigan race. Personally, I thought it was a fun new race. Also, when you get a chance, can you include your posting availability after your history?

@Bookfellow- Lookin good! I like his personality so far! I may have a suggestion or two and I'll PM with it tonight or tomorrow. Nothing too major, Im not a fan of telling players what to do or not do with their characters, just suggestions. No worries there.

Last edited by MeredithS; 05-14-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Imaginary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1723
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithS View Post
@Quick Ben- Nice to see the interest in the Korrigan race. Personally, I thought it was a fun new race. Also, when you get a chance, can you include your posting availability after your history?
Can do! I feel like there's a lot of interesting internal tension with the Korrigan's which can be lots of fun for characterization.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM
+1d6

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6070
sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard sneakybastard
Hmmm... Any thoughts on integrating Shadar-Kai into the game? (as if my planned character wasn't edgy enough)