Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 537
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
D&D 5e Race/Class

What are some race/class combos that you rarely or never see? Specifically I'm talking about the core races and classes from the PHB. I feel like I'm always reaching for the same ole things but I want to stretch myself a little.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13687
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
There has actually been a full analysis of this question (based on D&D Beyond)! Unless I am mistaken, it looks like half orc sorcerer is the least common.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...haracter-rare/
Old 12-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 537
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
I'm surprised. I thought that Elf Barbarian or Dwarf Druid would be contenders. Thanks for that link though.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 PM
I'm really not that cool.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4706
loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock
Honestly, it's hard to pull up a genuinely loser combination in 5th edition, so anything is fair game mechanically.

Half-Orc sorcerers are perfectly viable and aren't going to be trying to scale a near insurmountable barrier to entry; they won't be perfectly optimized, but that's about it.
-#577 From The Canonical List of Famous Last Words
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
NinjaTeeHart NinjaTeeHart
I'm always surprised at how many human PCs there are that are created, most of the groups I have played with seem to actively avoid playing as a human in order to get that "outside of normal" feel to the PC. But stats, even if not perfect, tend to tell a pretty reasonable tale of truth. So that chart is SUPER interesting compared to my personal experience, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:25 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 243
BlackDouglas BlackDouglas BlackDouglas
As far as it goes, I tend to resurrect similar characters from my "rogue's gallery" in differing campaigns, altered as required.

It serves two purposes - I save having to come up with plausible and playable "unique" characters, and if they are a character I like, I can spend more time "inhabiting" their mentality and style.

As far as that chart goes, apparently my Dwarf Fighter, Elf Rogue, Half Elf Bard, and Human Fighter are all straight out of the textbook, my only "wild card" is apparently my half orc sorcerer (that lad just really loves fire)
Old 03-16-2019, 05:52 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 850
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Well, my last group might as well have been trying to defy the chart, as it involved a Goliath, two Tiefling Rouges, an Aismar, and a Dragonborn Druid, so maybe I'm not the best judge, but I find that any of the classic four tend to get used with significant regularity no matter the race. It's usually the slightly less venerable classes that start stratifying out amongst the races. Unless you're monk, because I don't think I've encountered a monk ever.