RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > DM mentoring
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-06-2019, 07:19 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 496
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Handling Combat & Ranges in PbP

So something that has been gnawing at the back of my mind recently is how to handle ranges in combat for games being done via PbP as there isn't really a 'board' to measure distance on. For systems such as Mutant Year Zero or City of Mist, this isn't really a problem; MYZ measures based on "Long" "Medium" Short" and "Arms-Length" descriptors, so that works fairly easily, but for something such as, say, the R. Talsorian Witcher TRPG, everything is handled in exact measurements, rather than descriptors.

There are some systems with similar measurement-based ranges such as Shadowrun and in some lighter aspects D&D5E does too, but how do DMs actually track this through RPGX? I've been thinking of running a Witcher TRPG campaign on RPGX in the future but I'm just not sure on how to handle the specifics of combat if I did.

Also, apologies if this is in the wrong section, I feel like it might be, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13687
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
There are mixed approaches. You can hand-wave ranges like you do in a lot of the systems you mention. Like you said, in D&D 5e, you're either within reach, in short range for missile weapons, or long range for missile weapons. So it's totally valid to just tell people that: "yes you're in range". I have played multiple 5e games like that.

I find people really like maps (as do I), and if you don't have maps, you'll constantly get questions like "how many feet away is the monster", since characters have movement rates and different spells have different ranges. roll20 is free and has a great map + grid + measurement system built in. When I produce maps, I use roll20 to set up the scene, then take a screenshot, post it to imgur, and then link it here in RPGX. Look under the spoilertags here for a recent example of mine (and subsequent GM posts for how the map evolved). Is that the kind of thing you had in mind? Setting up the map takes maybe an hour, but once it's set up, round-by round updates take like 3 minutes.

I've seen people use collaborative Google docs in similar ways, but I've never used that method.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 496
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
I've thought about using Roll20 for creating boards to use on RPGX, just wasn't sure about the rules surrounding that, thanks!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:45 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6143
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
There are other mapping options in the DM Thread under Resources.

-me
Old 03-06-2019, 04:09 PM
A legend in my spare time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
MapTool measures distances auto-magically. Click-and-hold on a token, drag to the desired location, and MapTool displays the distance in feet.

If posting battle grids in your game is more labor-intensive than you like, you could use MapTool for your own reference. When someone asks how far away the monster is, just measure it off, and post the answer in text.

I used this method back in the olden days of Play by email.PbEM, except my tools were old-fangled gaming mats with dry erase markers. It's a slow but precise workaround when you don't have or want graphical representations of combat in your game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
So something that has been gnawing at the back of my mind recently is how to handle ranges in combat for games being done via PbP as there isn't really a 'board' to measure distance on. For systems such as Mutant Year Zero or City of Mist, this isn't really a problem; MYZ measures based on "Long" "Medium" Short" and "Arms-Length" descriptors, so that works fairly easily, but for something such as, say, the R. Talsorian Witcher TRPG, everything is handled in exact measurements, rather than descriptors.

There are some systems with similar measurement-based ranges such as Shadowrun and in some lighter aspects D&D5E does too, but how do DMs actually track this through RPGX? I've been thinking of running a Witcher TRPG campaign on RPGX in the future but I'm just not sure on how to handle the specifics of combat if I did.

Also, apologies if this is in the wrong section, I feel like it might be, but I'm not entirely sure.
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics