Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7051
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Heads up: I had this thread running around in my head for the last month. Unrelated to the discussion about introductory game guides and rules for coordinated play it kept me thinking about having more Shadowrun on site in general. So I decided I want to help with that. I don't actually have that much time right now though, and should shed a game or two before I give this a shot, but I will have a game ad up early to mid may.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3342
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Exciting news! I hope the few people who thought they might want to get their feet wet in Shadowrun apply!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1929
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
Do you have a campaign hook in mind? Because I've recently been brooding on the idea of a team of resistance fighters against an alien invasion...
Old 03-03-2019, 06:42 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Well, as I said at the very beginning of this thread I have a lot of material for Vienna, Austria - so that's what I will be attempting to run to put all that work to some use. I guess in a way that is an "exotic" setting, but the rest would be mostly the usual. So sorry to say, no Aliens. I will run it street level in scope without changing the chargen. I'm more looking to run a game about gangs, organised crime and the social issues of local communities as seen through the work of Shadowrunners rather than taking on the megacorps (too much).

I guess the setting can be an upside in a way. I would assume most every potential applicant would know little to nothing about what Vienna is like in the Shadowrun setting, as most material on it was published in german (and since quite recently no 5e sourcebook was out at all). The characters should be foreigners as well, so at least on an information level the players and characters can learn at the same pace. Nobody is expected to know the history of everything going in. It is a somewhat homebrewed Vienna 2075 anyway, as it's partly the culmination of a few years of playing around a table.

The rules remain a barrier, but we'll see. The smaller scope while remaining at standard priority makes things a little less hard on broader character concepts.

I've the ad eighty percent written up already actually - so I will really have to force myself to wait the two months. Who knows, maybe I'll get impatient and it'll be late april.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14750
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have Phett! I'll be more than happy to help in any way I can!

In other news, thanks to Yam's constant poking, I'm almost ready to beta test my new Shadowrunners tutorial. I've got most of the bulk down, I just need to fluff and organize it to maximize newb friendliness and ease of reading.

I already have beta testers, but I'm hoping to get them running in the next week or two!
<<Update >> Schedule is completely borked with no resolution in sight. I will be transitioning to mobile updates on breaks at work. I apologise in advance for any drop in post quality! Please poke me if I've missed anything, it's hard to stay as organized on mobile ~_~
Old 03-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have Phett! I'll be more than happy to help in any way I can!
Don't mind if I do. I'll be going through the rules a lot in the prep time for my ad, because every now and then I notice things that my last group did not really do according to RAW. I don't intend to become a rules lawyer by any means, but considering one plays with people of different levels of experience with shadowrun 5e doing pbp I should really have more precise knowledge of what it says in the core books. I'll probably still wing a few things to speed play up, but at least I'll know which rules exactly I am omitting or simplifying.

Quote:
I already have beta testers, but I'm hoping to get them running in the next week or two!
Good to know. I'm sure things will go swimmingly, and when the time is ripe for me to spring my ad you'll have added a few people to the pool of potential applicants. The more the merrier, which is what this thread is all about.

EDIT: At some point in time, if this turns into a proper Shadowrun New-Player Solo Game, I might be able to help out with the program as well. Most likely not within the next six months though, unless all my games crash and burn all of a sudden.

Last edited by Phettberg; 03-04-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:51 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2856
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
Don't mind if I do. I'll be going through the rules a lot in the prep time for my ad, because every now and then I notice things that my last group did not really do according to RAW. I don't intend to become a rules lawyer by any means, but considering one plays with people of different levels of experience with shadowrun 5e doing pbp I should really have more precise knowledge of what it says in the core books. I'll probably still wing a few things to speed play up, but at least I'll know which rules exactly I am omitting or simplifying.
Yea, I should have probably done this before I started up my game, but I'm one of those people who have to do something a few times to get it stuck in their brain. <shrug>

POSTING STATUS: Sunday-Wensday: Normal, Thursday: Questionable, Friday & Saturday: Limited Posting.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:44 PM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13642
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
To be fair, some of the RAW interpretations don’t shake out the best in play, so sometimes the long-standing houserules are for the best

In the midst of moving back overseas, so some delays!
Old 03-06-2019, 04:25 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 131
Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:

In other news, thanks to Yam's constant poking, I'm almost ready to beta test my new Shadowrunners tutorial. I've got most of the bulk down, I just need to fluff and organize it to maximize newb friendliness and ease of reading.

I'll have a response to you no later than Sunday if not sooner. Some work projects took off so I've had my head down in them.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:28 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Yea, I should have probably done this before I started up my game, but I'm one of those people who have to do something a few times to get it stuck in their brain. <shrug>
One of the strengths of PbP is one can look up a rule to clarify it before posting and no one is the wiser that there has been a pause that may disrupt the game flow in the way it would live at a table potentially.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2856
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
One of the strengths of PbP is one can look up a rule to clarify it before posting and no one is the wiser that there has been a pause that may disrupt the game flow in the way it would live at a table potentially.
Yea, I noticed that shortly after starting my game. I stopped panicking so much afterwards

POSTING STATUS: Sunday-Wensday: Normal, Thursday: Questionable, Friday & Saturday: Limited Posting.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Yea, I noticed that shortly after starting my game. I stopped panicking so much afterwards
Grin. I bet that settled a number of nerves down.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14750
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
And we're live!

Just sent out messages to my first two testers!

If you all wouldn't mind looking it over and kicking the tires for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Let me know what you think of the public areas.

The story itself is in a private thread. Not that I'm specifically hiding it from you all, I just don't want too many spoilers out there.

Phett, since you expressed interest in helping way down the road, I'll be happy to add your name to the private pages if you want to view the works in progress!

I'd also like to share the first message with you all to get some feedback!

Thanks again for all your guy's help making Shadowrun strong!

<<Update >> Schedule is completely borked with no resolution in sight. I will be transitioning to mobile updates on breaks at work. I apologise in advance for any drop in post quality! Please poke me if I've missed anything, it's hard to stay as organized on mobile ~_~
Old 03-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Blink and you'll miss it.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7450
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Ooo...shiny!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 AM
Bloodsucking Lawyer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 576
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Since I'm firmly in Group 2...

Quote:
Group 2) Established Shadowrun players.

What would it take to convince you to run a Shadowrun 5e game?
I will say that if I was EVER going to roll up the courage to run a Shadowrun group, it would be in a forum like this.

I'm concerned in part that the speed of posting would be downright crippling. I know, from having run a handful of F2F TT games, that it's WAY more taxing to run the game than to play it - at least for me.

The #1 (with a bullet) thing it would take, for me, is a lot more unstructured time. Currently I work about 55 hours per week, and my wife has cancer. I'm officially enrolled in two games, technically applied for a third. I'm sort of quietly hoping I don't get accepted, because when I started here, I didn't know I was going to be stepping up to a new position at work. I'm excited about it but it has increased my mental load... and suddenly being in two games feels like a lot.

I feel like running a game will require three to five times the mental resources of being in a game... and right now, I don't have it.

Also, I want to take some time to get used to the format here. I think in a few months to a year, with a little broader exposure to some different running styles, I might find one I think I can handle.

Also also, my biggest problem has always been that when I think of a cool idea for a game, it becomes a game I want to PLAY, not a game I want to RUN...

... like, I've got at least three ideas for Shadowrun games that I'm really interested in - one of which could really only be run in this kind of forum - but what I really want to do is remove them from my head, put them in someone else's, and play in them without knowing what's under the hood. Which, of course, is impossible.