DnD5e Roll Your Own Adventurer 3: Season of the Die - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old May 10th, 2019, 02:24 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7449
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
Roll Your Own Adventurer 3: Season of the Die

Game NameRoll Your Own Adventurer 3: Season of the Die
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeExplore through several, possibly eclectic, pre-made adventures
FlavourRoll Dice, Create a Character!
Introduction
I just really love these games.

No this doesn't end the other one - which is still going pretty well IMO. Yes, if you are in that game (or another game I run like the current Adventurer's League games) you can still apply to this one.

So the main idea for these games in 'constrained creativity'. On the player's side - you roll a backstory for your character and possibly randomly determine your class/race/background. If you manage to come up with an idea you'd never have thought of before - this method has succeeded.

On the GM's side - you roll a random adventure and depending on the final team that means I have to figure out a way to string them together while also incorporating dangling hooks from your backstory.

I personally find this fun. If you do as well - awesome.

What's New?
I've expanded the optional rolls for class and race to allow for more random choice. I've also added a bunch more adventure options.

Adventure choice is a bit more important this time as I'll also be giving you the hook for your adventure and a ballpark figure of what level your adventure is aimed at - so you know how long it'll be in the game - more or less - before you can pursue your hook.

The Application
There are two parts to the application.

Part one involves creating your backstory and figuring out what skills your character needs. This starts on the tables below: starting with table 1.

This process works like a flowchart - start with one roll on table 1. If it does not tell you otherwise, roll a 2nd time on table one. If this result doesn't tell you otherwise proceed to table 2 and then table 3. From Table 3, you should start jumping around tables.

DO NOT MAKE A ROLL ON EVERY TABLE!

Keep rolling, going from table to table as instructed, until you get a result saying "you begin your adventure" or something similar. Sometimes this will be with an option to continue rolling: you must make this decision at that point whether to continue rolling or not, you can't roll once more, decide you dislike the result and then choose the other option.

While rolling, you may get results that say "you must take proficiency in". Note these results; they don't actually grant you proficiency in themselves. Instead, when you make your level 1 character you need to combine classes/backgrounds/races/feats in such a way as to have proficiency in all these skills. For example, if a result says: "you must take proficiency in Intimidation" you can, for example, take half-orc as your race to fulfill this. At level one, you need to have chosen a combination of races/classes/backgrounds/feats to grant all the proficiency you got as results at level 1. If this is simply impossible, then try to get as many as possible and make a note of those you could not get. At the next level, you Are able to do so, you'll need to multiclass or make some other choice to get these outstanding proficiencies. You may also get other results that grant decreases or increases to starting gold, bonus items or bonus features. Make a note of these.

If you are unsatisfied with your results, you can re-roll. You can also make multiple characters - however, specify which one you want to use.

After rolling your character backstory or backstories, roll a d634. This is the adventure related to your character. I will give you a hook and an idea of when this adventure would occur (in terms of level). ONLY ROLL THIS ONCE, EVEN IF YOU ROLLED MULTIPLE BACKSTORIES. This roll is actually quite important - as it might give you something to add to your story to justify the hook - so don't neglect it.

You then have the option to roll for your race (1d37), Class (1d18) and Background (1d43). For race and class, you may have a sub-table to roll on as well - so if you roll dwarf you can make another roll to see if you are a Hill, Mountain, Gray or Mark of Warding dwarf. If you roll Fighter you roll a d12 to see what type of Archetype you'll choose at level 3. These rolls are, however, optional, and remember you may need to have certain proficiencies. You can roll these for fun and ignore any you want to ignore.

I also included a "random gender" table - as someone asked for that last time. And feel free to make random rolls for Bonds, Flaws, Trinkets etc.

To generate stats, roll 4d6 6 times taking the highest three of each result. Make one separate roll for each of your potentials characters. You also roll starting gold.

Feel free to roll as much as you want: Trinkets? Bonds? Quirks from Volo's Guide? Class stuff from Xanathar's guide to everything? Have fun with this.

There are two things we're going to do by vote rather than by GM decree:
  • Vote for your preferred starting date - I'll try to pick one that the majority prefer or close to it (favoring later dates)
  • In SECRET TEXT - vote for the 4 other applications you'd most want to adventure with. I'll be basing the final choice of the party on this - only stepping in to break ties.

Your final app(s) will need:
  • Character Name - What do they call you?
  • Race - All on the race table below are allowed
  • Class - All on the class table below are allowed
  • Background - All on the background table below are allowed.
  • Appearance - A picture is useful, but you should still give a description, preferably one I can copy and paste when introducing your character
  • Personality - It helps if you elaborate on how parts of your backstory reflect on your character's attitude today
  • Character Background Story - Should obviously include your roll results, although you can elaborate and mix them up as you see fit.
  • Explanation of how you get your rolled proficiency mechanically (E.g.: I get intimidation from being a half-orc)
  • A level 1 character sheet
  • a d634 roll - which will be used to determine starting adventure
  • Your preferred starting date
  • Your 4 preferred companions

Final Notes
Girlplay has pointed out that technically we are not supposed to make dice rolls in advertisement threads. So please do your dice roll here

You may keep as many of your rolls secret as you wish. I would suggest copying each result as you get it so you don't have to keep referring back to the tables though.

Variant rules for humans, half-elves or any other 'official' variants are allowed.

At this point, I don't even know what adventure we'll run. Be prepared for that - we may end up with anything: an official wizard's party or a third party adventure. I'd suggest leaving some open space in your character app for hooks and such - assuming your background doesn't give you a nice one to use anyway.

In terms of setting - I'm going to say the Forgotten Realms. This is because pretty much any adventure can slot into the Forgotten Realms and there's a huge amount of resources on it. That said, as there are backgrounds and races from Ravnica and Eberron you have some options: you can either be from those planes but somehow are now in the Forgotten Realms OR you can adapt the race/background to fit. Eg: To justify the Azorius Functionary background you could be a representative of the justice system of a major city or kingdom in the Forgotten Realms. A dragonmark might be a representation of a unique inheritance of your bloodline rather than a physical mark. There is a chance an adventure may take place on another plane - but we'll deal with that if it arises.

I really hope all the tables make sense. If I pick up on a result leading to the wrong table I'll try to change it and notify anyone the change affected, or if you think one does, let me know and I'll change it

I think that's it. So start rolling below on the background tables, starting at Table 1: Parentage . If you have any questions, or things aren't clear at any point, let me know

The Tables
There are 34 background tables, so to save space I have hidden them all behind the spoiler tag below. Start rolling by determining your parents on table 1

Optional Tables
For more randomness, you can also use these to roll your Race (and subrace), Class and Background

FAQs
Q: "I don't have that race/class/specialization/background!"
A: If you are not sure where something is from, let me know. I'll tell you where to find it if possible

Q: "What can I make?"
A: While you don't have to use the random tables for race/class/background - they do show everything that is legal

List of Replacement Applicants
PlayerRolls Done?Character NameRaceClassBackgroundAppearancePersonalityCharacter Background StoryProficiencies Explained?Character SheetStarting Adventure
Framm18YMorekBugbearPaladin - Oath of AncientsStojanow PrisonerYYYYYCairn of the Winter King

Last edited by Arachobia; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 04:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5157
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Ok I'm game. Let's try something new! IN PROGRESS..Will finish after the weekend

Gotta change something as Druid and Acolyte don't have persuasion. So gonna change Acolyte to Nobel.

*Update*: Need to make character sheet. Then wait for others to finish apps and choose 4. Then done

*Update* Character sheet done!

*Update* Fixed "Explanation of how you get your rolled proficiency mechanically"

Character
right-aligned image

Character Name - T'nishna
Race - Fallen Assimar
Class - Druid
Background - Noble
Appearance - A bewitching dark-haired beauty, with a perma-scowl that wards away even the most slimiest of cat-callers.
Short and lean in stature. No glimpse of her pale skin, but only upon the face. The rest wrapped away under dark leather.
Her hair hangs long, a lock of deepest blue covering the left of her alluring features. Thick dark lips. Deep, dark eyes.
Personality - Angry. Slow to trust. Dislikes showing vulnerability. Brave, but rash
Traits: I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds.I've lost too many friends, and I'm slow to make new ones.
Ideals: Family. Blood (will)runs thicker than water.

Character Background Story - Ask Florian Decennore, diplomat of Hillsfar, about his youngest daughter and he’ll surly claim that you are mistaken. As surely as his wife Davina will add that they only have one daughter, Sara, a magnificent wizard. But there does exists another daughter, equally talented but much, by no fault of her own, a disappointment to her parents.

It is quite common knowledge that the citizens of Hillsfar do not look kindly on all non-humans. So imagine the sheer dismay of Florian and Davina when they birthed a beautiful fair-haired yet pupil-less, white-eyed Aasimar. She was an abomination! Celestial touch or not, her blood was unpure. Yet Sara, no older than 11 years old, seem to bond with the creature. And what sweetest Sara wanted, she got. So instead off killing the creature straight out of the womb. They kept her. In secret, of course.

15 years passed. No love from her parents. No birthdays. No toys. No name. Just Sara.
She didn't see her often. But when she did her heart felt 10 times as big. Davina, put their relationship down to no more than the relationship between girl and pet. And of course what do you do when pets misbehave? You beat them. And of course, what do you do with a filthy non-human? You beat them. This, not even Sara could stop.

Sara, now 26 years old, had been studying as wizard's apprentice since her sister was born. And for the 3 years, she had been teaching her sister all that she knew. The younger sister, while not as adept as Sara, definitely seemed to have some affinity with magic, but not quite in the same vein as Sara. But the magic connect them, and that connection was all that mattered.

One night, when the youngest daughter refused to be parted from her sister anymore, the beatings began again. Davina, thrashed the beast. But something inside the daughter would not give in. *SMACK SMACK SMACK*. Half her face blue, the other bloody. Sara lept on to her mother, trying to hold back her arms. Trying to protect her younger sister. *SMACK!* The blow to Sara sent her skidding along the floor. Anger, intense, built-up anger welled inside the youngest.

She felt like she fury would explode....And she did. Her fair hair turned pitch black. Her pure white eyes darkened. Consumed by anger and by rage, what ever celestial soul resided within her fell. Flames came gushing out of her. Licking at her "supposed" mother. Her clothes Burnt away, and the smell chocked them. The scorched body was still. The youngest daughter stood, and breathed deep. She turned around. Her sister was picking herself up off the floor. A blur of motion out the corner of her eye. *CRACK*. Her head hit the floor hard. Then something sharp was up against her throat. Her fathers eyes burnt with the same ferocity has the flames that engulfed his wife seconds before. “ I should have slit your throat when you were born”.
“Father! No!” Screamed Sara. His stare never faltered. The cold steal bit into her throat and she felt Sara’s hand grasp her own. And then, they were gone.

Blinding flashes. She whirled and spiraled. Colours sped past her, and then instantly, gulls. The squawking of gulls. The smell of salt. She quickly reached for her throat. Blood. And then darkness.

When she awoke the salt still lingered but the gulls had been replaced with the creaking of wood and the rhythmic crash of waves.
“Little one, you are lucky I found you. It’s ok. You’ll survive ”. Said a voice. Soft and gentle.
“****ing shouldn’t have” she chocked.
"Do you have a name girl?" He asked.
"No." Her flat and fast response told the man she wasn't even lying.
"Well. I dub thee T'nishna. Black Lily in my own language."
She cracked an eye open. A portly, bald man was tending to her. A skull on a storm cloud sewn into this jacket. He seemed nice enough though. For a pirate at least...

3 years she spent aboard the Black Tempest. It wasn't a palace. It wasn't even a aging inn, but it was a fair sight better than her "home". The higher rank pirates just ignored her, while the lower remained at bay. Frightened of Pots, her rescuer from the port town. At the beginning, one ship hand tried his luck. But after Pots froze his hands to the top mast and left him there for a week, none others dared tried. Her black, pupil-less death stare also helped in the matter.
Pots was a druid you see, and the only magic user on the ship. After it became apparent that T'nishna had some affinity with magic he started to teach her. It felt natural to her and came much easier than what Sara would teach her. Sara, she missed her endlessly. She hoped her sister was safe. She would hear the news of Hillsfar when in port. Nothing of her sister or mother, but it would seem that her father had turned from dipolmat to warlord, taking control of Hillsfar's army.

Then one day...
They were sailing west. A rumor of a sunken treasure in the shallows of a small island chain caught the captains ear. But when they reached the islands, they only found an ambush. Dozens of ships waiting for them, surround by the carcasses of pirate ships before them. A storm brewed and the battle began. As the ships surrounded the Black Tempest her heart stopped. She recognised those flags. Hillsfar, and her family crest. The battle was futile, they were greatly outnumbered. As the Black Tempest went down, the storm picked up.

She washed up. Somewhere... Alive. Alone. Angry. Her father will pay.

Explanation of how you get your rolled proficiency mechanically - History and Persuasion (req.) from Noble background. Survival (req.) and Nature from Druid class.
A level 1 character sheet http://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=80492
a d108 roll - which will be used to determine starting adventure -
Dice Roll:
d626 524

Your preferred starting date May 15th ~
Your 4 preferred companions Pending

Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by Azure Nokori; May 15th, 2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 04:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Question:
I one place it requests a d626 and in another a d108 both for the adventure. Roll both?
Old May 10th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
Oh it's only supposed to be d626. Will edit

My old one was a d108 - the dangers of copy+paste

Last edited by Arachobia; May 10th, 2019 at 04:51 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 04:58 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23344
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Good luck with your third game like this Arachobia. I'm really enjoying your other game but have to much on my plate to apply to this one unless a few of my slower games tank. Enjoy all

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Old May 10th, 2019, 05:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Stats: 12, 11, 9, 9, 9, 7

Can I pleeeeeeeeeease re-roll?
Old May 10th, 2019, 05:08 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, you can re-roll if you want.

Last edited by Arachobia; May 10th, 2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 05:15 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Great! Much better! 12, 17, 8, 16, 15, 11

Does that mean the adventure will be starting at level 8? (But I should submit a level 1 sheet right?)
Old May 10th, 2019, 05:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Starting adventure will be the lowest of the ones rolled of the players who get in.

So let's say you get in with 4 other people who get adventures of 10, 12, 14 and 17 - then definitely 8 would be the start. But if someone got an adventure that started at 5 then we'd start there.

As such - I find it easier to ask for a level 1 sheet - as it is the lowest possible starting level - and if we end up starting at a higher level people can just bump their character up as needed.
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 324
g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n
This was super fun to do last time around, so I'm gonna try again.

Character
Character Name - Brogmir
Race - Minotaur
Class - Fighter
Background - Soldier
Appearance - Dark-eyed, broad-shouldered and thickly muscled, Brogmir is large even for a minotaur. Towering over most people, his large backwards-curving horns are covered in bronze, adding to his already domineering presence. His fur is dark brown and the fur on his cheeks and chin are braided into the shape of a thick beard knot.
Personality - TBD
Character Background Story - TBD
Explanation of how you get your rolled proficiency mechanically - Proficiency in Animal Handling - Fighter
A level 1 character sheet - TBD
Starting adventure - 398
Your preferred starting date May 18th
Your 4 preferred companions Waiting for others to roll

Last edited by g047br41n; May 15th, 2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3673
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Sorry peeps,

I'm gonna withdraw my app due to too many commitments taken, good luck and happy gaming to all!!

Last edited by Ursinorum; May 14th, 2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:29 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 324
g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n
Hmmm.... I'm thinking of ignoring the class roll and switch classes.
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by g047br41n View Post
Hmmm.... I'm thinking of ignoring the class roll and switch classes.
That's fine. Changing any of race/class/background as needed is ok
Old May 10th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4382
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator

Name vohani
Race deep gnome
Class life cleric
Background urban bounty Hunter
Personality
Traits I don't react well to insults
The best way to get me to say something is to say that it can't be done
Ideals I don't steal jobs from others in the trade
Bonds the reward money goes to my family
Flaws I have a tell when I'm lying.
backstory vohani was born from krurtug and caslini. Krurtug, his father, was a merchant of mining gear though carried other needs as needed. His mother caslini grew up among good Drow and taught this to vohani. She picked up worship of Eilistraee and taught of her work and her heroes.

Vohani upon reaching adulthood joined with a caravan taking goods from the mines to large cities within the underdark learning to read people and make a sale. It was when Donald came to vohani with a bounty discussing how they should take the mark. Vohani was confused until the mention of gold took place.

Last edited by delpinator; May 11th, 2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21625
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
I'm game. Time to make some rolls...

Apparently there is a limit to the number of rolls allowed...which I broke. Will have to make additional rolls in another post.

Last edited by Silent Rain; May 10th, 2019 at 10:42 AM.