Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Iron DM 2015  

Hall of Fame 2014  

Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43321
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
Amy: I could manage two short-but-impactful posts per week. It's the "post within 48 hours of the DM" rule I have trouble with on account of my unpredictable work and parenting schedule. And if something came up that would keep me away, I'd provide notice.

Reviewing the rest of the thread, however, I think I missed the boat on the setting. I intended Ric to be a Cleric of some sort. Not sure how his monotheism will translate to the D&D realm, but I'll give it a think.

Quote:
Terry Brook's Shannara style Armageddon
Alas, I am wholly unfamiliar with Brooks and Shannara. Sounds interesting, though!
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5923
Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
It said its name was Rufus, but he was pretty sure Rufus was a liar.
This. Sweet.

Last edited by Amy; Jun 14th, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 12:35 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozuba View Post
Reverend Deputy Richard Marion Sanders - Religious Point-of-view

Ric Sanders of Stagecoach, Nevada was a wiry man of forty-two with more salt than pepper in his handlebar moustache. Ric followed in his late father's footsteps as a Methodist itinerant, travelling from city to city in the area around the so-called "Biggest Little City in the World" and proclaiming the Good News of the Gospel to those what needed to hear it. Preaching never paid much, so when the inheritance ran out he signed on with the Reno Police Department and moved into a cramped, studio apartment over a liquor store in the city's Riverfront District.

Ten years came and went without much change except an increase in the stiffness of Ric's joints and a change in ownership of the store downstairs. Monday through Friday Deputy Sanders upheld the law, kept the peace, and filled out paperwork in obscene quantities. Saturdays were spent relaxing with a book, and sometimes indulging in a hot meal at Ol' Yeller's Barbecue over on Staten Avenue (the one just past where the old bookstore used to be, across from the other Starbucks. Best ribs in the state. Mayhap the world.) It wasn't that Ric disliked change, but rather that he didn't believe in it. He'd be hard-pressed to admit it, but as a stolid Methodist, Ric tended toward fatalism. The good would be good and the wicked would be wicked and come the end, God would sort 'em out. That was the way Ric viewed the world and that was the way he liked it -- black and white, with little of the mushy grey areas in the tween.
There's lots of info, not too much fluff. The intrigue would be his severity, "towards fatalism", and how he responds to the changes of the world. I'd like to see another paragraph with something stunning.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 12:39 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
It was easy to be alone here. That's what he found in his first year at school. New York was noisy and crowded, and everyone was too busy getting wherever it was they were going to show a kid from northern New England how to get by in the big city. He had friends - college friends. The kind that tried to drag you out for a night on the town when you would much rather be doing something else. In Daren's case, this something else was exercising. Boxing twice a week for speed and coordination, yoga three times a week for balance and to avoid injury, and the weight room six days a week for strength. He ate right, lived right, and stayed away from the people that didn't understand.

Speaking of not understanding, his parents were prime examples. "I'll get you an internship with my old firm," his father, a lawyer said. "There are plenty of girls in New York," his mother, a model, loved to remind him. "**** it," he told them both. He saw them when they were in the city for business and on the rare family holiday, but he didn't try much beyond that, and neither did they.

He had been meditating in the morning and at night at the behest of his yoga instructor. A healthy mind is the key to a healthy body, she said. By his senior year, he was good. Better than most, in all honesty. That was why, lids shut and seated in the lotus position, he knew that it was about to all go wrong.
Good setup. Covered the bases. Give me one more paragraph with grit or impact. Pre-change.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 12:45 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssays View Post
Shalom knocked on the door and waited tensely for an answer. Within the first few moments of most meeting with so-called clients, he could tell which direction it was going to go. Either he'd be on their couch, trying to council them towards healthier lifestyle choices or he'd be angling to get what backup he could and take their children from them. Shalom was the social worker they sent when there might be abuse of "Hydra" in the household. The new drug was turning people into violent criminals... it wasn't just that the need for the drug drove its users to the dark underbelly of society, it also seemed to actively encourage violence, even when access to the drug was available. With a education in psychology paid for bouncing in local bars, Shalom was one of the few uniquely qualified to quickly assess a situation - and if the situation warranted it, and if the police were too tied up to respond (as was often the case in this chaotic time), to act on his own to protect the innocent.

The door was only cracked enough to show bloodshot eyes and veins already pulsing. Before the challenge, "What do you want?" was issued, Shalom could tell this wasn't going to be a counseling session. He sighed. I could really use a vacation.
I really want to see how you describe the effects of Hydra. I like the idea, a lot. Please give me a paragraph (or two) on your character watching the drug take effect.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 12:46 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
I like the interdimensional idea and it makes sense that multiple dimensions as we write them could each have their won perceived source of the event.
Quoted for impact. This is right on.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 12:50 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozuba View Post
Amy: I could manage two short-but-impactful posts per week. It's the "post within 48 hours of the DM" rule I have trouble with on account of my unpredictable work and parenting schedule. And if something came up that would keep me away, I'd provide notice.
When the characters are in independent threads the follow-up is not that critical. When they are all together, things will be handled a little different. If you don't respond before the second DM post, you won't act that turn. I doubt it'll be 48 hours. If you are a regular poster we won't have a problem, you'll just lose your action every once in a while.

Quote:
Reviewing the rest of the thread, however, I think I missed the boat on the setting. I intended Ric to be a Cleric of some sort. Not sure how his monotheism will translate to the D&D realm, but I'll give it a think.
I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with a monotheistic viewpoint. I think that will be a great angle translated into D&D. Especially when the demons and devils show up.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 532
Ishkar Ishkar Ishkar Ishkar Ishkar Ishkar
Name: Riley Kingston
Point of view: Spiritual, Modern society was missing something, something meaningful.
Profession: Student of Mankind, some college, well read, lot of independent research, searching for meaning
D&D Class: Druid

The two men were from different worlds. The older with long gray hair in two braids on either side of his head and the wrinkled leathered skin of a long term outdoors man. The other younger, named Riley, maybe fitter, seemed experienced and steady to the old indian guide, clearly interested in the old man’s world..

“The cave is up ahead.” The old guide said.

The younger man got excited. He had been dreaming about this trip. Literally dreaming about it, ever since he found the old bear hide with the drawings on it. Ancient Sioux pictographs from way before the white man came. Depicting the end of the world or so it seemed.

The cave entrance was barely four feet high and had been covered with brush, it was undetectable to Riley. The old guide moved the brush aside and motioned Riley to crawl it. Riley hated small tight places. Inside the two men squeezed and the younger, Riley, produced a flash light.

The guide said a quick “no” and Riley turned it off.

As they stood there in the dark, their night vision increased and features came to light. There was a tunnel leading out of the chamber. There seems to be soft lights lighting the way, but that was impossible. Maybe lichen or something Riley thought. They made their way down the tunnel and Riley recognized the drawing on the hide he had found.

“That’s it”. He said and the old indian grunted, and mumbled something in Sioux that Riley did not understand, even though he had a working knowledge of the language

“Sit”, the old man said and they did. They sat in silence for a long time and then the walls seemed to move and the ground shook.

“It is happening”, the old guide said and then seemed to deflate like a balloon without air. Riley started to rise and then blacked out.

Last edited by Ishkar; Jun 14th, 2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Grumpy Old Wrym

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2627
Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
I really want to see how you describe the effects of Hydra. I like the idea, a lot. Please give me a paragraph (or two) on your character watching the drug take effect.
Hydra's Narrative UseGlad to hear you liked it. It sounded like we were heading towards a fantasy world just showing up one day kind of scenario. That might be a little necessary for something like the magic, but I was angling for something a little more subtle. Hydra could be used to explain the existence of a new 'race' like orcs or the dragonborn or it could be used to help explain the barbarian class. It might also do something less mechanical like explaining the lack of guns... See below for a mix of class/guns. Obviously subject to alteration.

Despite his gut feeling, Shalom launched into the obligatory introduction, left out the part about Child Protective Services specifically. "I'm just here-in an official capacity-to offer up advice and make sure you have everything you need." The man, still a little concealed behind the door, was having none of it. "I know why you're hear. You want to take my children. And I'd sooner..." He seemed reluctant to threaten the life of an official. That's a good sign! Perhaps there'd be time to... "I'd sooner tear your arms off than let you touch them." Nevermind.

The man stepped fully out of the house, his chest taking the lead. His undershirt did nothing to hide the sores that had opened on top of other sores, darkening his skin and creating a layer of fibrous scar tissue and callous. He might as well be wearing a bullet-proof vest. He was far gone indeed, little more than a tightly bound coil of violence. Once his rage boiled over the top he'd be nearly unstoppable. There was already a small growl incubating in the man's throat. Shalom backed off, raising one hand in supplication, "I can see that your children are well protected. Truth be told, with everything that's going on, that's really all I was here to check on. That's the most important thing." With his other hand, he readied the only thing he'd ever seen slow one of these junkies down: a military-issue stun gun.

Last edited by Ssays; Jun 14th, 2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:22 AM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Glad to hear you liked it. It sounded like we were heading towards a fantasy world just showing up one day kind of scenario. That might be a little necessary for something like the magic, but I was angling for something a little more subtle. Hydra could be used to explain the existence of a new 'race' like orcs or the dragonborn or it could be used to help explain the barbarian class. It might also do something less mechanical like explaining the lack of guns... See below for a mix of class/guns. Obviously subject to alteration.
We won't need an explanation for the transition. If we do, that's on me. You focus on your destructive element, let me worry about how to merge them all.

Also, guns might still work; I have not decided yet. We will be using D&D 5e rules, but that won't limit us to a D&D 5e realm. Keep your mind open.

Last edited by Amy; Jun 24th, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:36 AM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Despite his gut feeling, Shalom launched into the obligatory introduction, left out the part about Child Protective Services specifically. "I'm just here-in an official capacity-to offer up advice and make sure you have everything you need." The man, still a little concealed behind the door, was having none of it. "I know why you're hear. You want to take my children. And I'd sooner..." He seemed reluctant to threaten the life of an official. That's a good sign! Perhaps there'd be time to... "I'd sooner tear your arms off than let you touch them." Nevermind.

The man stepped fully out of the house, his chest taking the lead. His undershirt did nothing to hide the sores that had opened on top of other sores, darkening his skin and creating a layer of fibrous scar tissue and callous. He might as well be wearing a bullet-proof vest. He was far gone indeed, little more than a tightly bound coil of violence. Once his rage boiled over the top he'd be nearly unstoppable. There was already a small growl incubating in the man's throat. Shalom backed off, raising one hand in supplication, "I can see that your children are well protected. Truth be told, with everything that's going on, that's really all I was here to check on. That's the most important thing." With his other hand, he readied the only thing he'd ever seen slow one of these junkies down: a military-issue stun gun.
I'd call this mild. I think you can be much more dramatic.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Solemn Golem

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30722
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Hey, Amy! Good to see you active on the site again. (And psht, you're still relevant. )

Will this be a game inspired by One of King's (w/ Peter Straub, of course) best books, IMO.The Talisman or did you just mean gritty and dark when you referenced Stephen King? Or both?

My involvement on the site has been scaled way back of late, but this looks really interesting. I'll have to let it percolate in my brain for a bit!

Old Jun 15th, 2015, 09:46 AM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Hey, M_G, great to see you! Nah, inspired by my interest in reading about apocalyptic scenarios. I want to see how they progress, throw wrenches in, read good writing. I read The Talisman, but it was, maybe, thirty years ago? I like how King can make you cringe. Big drama, big surprises, very gritty and usually gross.

Hope you can make some time.

Cheers
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 938
Morpheus Morpheus Morpheus Morpheus Morpheus Morpheus Morpheus Morpheus
Interested, will think up of a concept. Would you be ok with a newcomer to the site applying? I have PbP experience, just not on here. And when was the closing date for applications?
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 11:14 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Interested, will think up of a concept. Would you be ok with a newcomer to the site applying? I have PbP experience, just not on here. And when was the closing date for applications?
Not worried about post count at all. More concerned with unique ideas, good posting style, and readability.

Not going to close this until we have a decent handful of applicants.