RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Wood he do it?!?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16609
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerHalf
When posting in the "Go Advanced" style, sometimes an extra line break will be added where there shouldn't be one. This happens fairly often. Normally I'd not report a bug until I can reproduce it reliably, but this one has been annoying me so much. I think it's something to do with fieldsets; that's where I see it happening anyway.
Actually, this is a feature for our coding with vBulletin. A line break is produced after the fieldset tag, so to prevent that your next line needs to appear right after.

Same thing happens with spoilerbuttons. And I've checked this on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and my phone (which is where this post came from) over the last decade on site.

-GT
Old 01-10-2018, 02:59 AM
Supervillain

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5221
EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I've been experiencing random line breaks when posting lately. Not exactly sure what's causing it or how to duplicate, but one of my players also mentioned he'd had the same thing recently so thought I'd mention it. Not gamebreaking, but it has resulted in a higher than average number of edits because I usually only notice after I've posted.
Good news, a (partial) fix for this has been commit to chrome:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...l?id=713969#c8

Hopefully will be included in the next release.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1482
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
The character sheet is not able to handle characters outside the ASCII (?) range properly. If you use, say, characters with accents, save and reload the character sheet, garbage shows up (to be more precise: the binary representation of the special character in the wrong encoding).

I have checked the HTML source of the character sheet, and the first line looks strange to me:
Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-5589-1"?>
What kind of encoding is "5589" supposed to be? Maybe, ISO 8859-1 was meant, the Latin-1 encoding, and "iso-5589-1" is just a typo.

Detailed: When I type in the character "ú", save the character sheet and reload it, it is displayed as "ú". This can be explained as follows: The character "ú" in UTF-8 encoding consists of the two bytes 0xC3 0xBA. If these characters are interpreted in LATIN-1, the string "ú" results. If this string is again encoded in UTF-8, we get the four bytes 0xC3 0x83 0xC2 0xBA. Interpreting these characters in LATIN-1 again, we end up with "ú".
Old 02-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4324
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
I can't find reference to an ISO 5589-1 anywhere, this has got to be a typo of iso 8859 1. Which explains the encoding problems. Also be aware that 8859-1 doesn't have full coverage that UTF 8 does. A few characters are missing.

Birched can probably fix this fairly quickly by changing a few templates to the correct the typo, however that is just my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact.

edit: did a bit of digging and it doesn't appear that there is a BOM at the beginning of the character sheets, so they should default to utf-8. I'm also not seeing the behavior you reported @disaster master. I inserted the ú character and reloaded the character sheet with no change in display. Perhaps it's the browser you are using? I'm using the latest Chrome on Windows 10.

The character sheet I used is here. Look in the Nonlethal damage and Damage reduction entries. I see the correct character.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.

Last edited by roninkelt; 02-21-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
At the moment I'm using Chrome on Ubuntu, but Firefox has the same behavior. I'm using the D&D 5.0 sheet.

As I stated above, the change from "ú" to "ú" is due to the following conversion: (encode to utf-8)->(decode as latin-1)->(encode to utf-8)->(decode as latin-1). In fact, this happens after going through the process of saving and reloading twice. So if I just type "ú" and save and reload only once, I see the conversion error "(encode to utf-8)->(decode as latin-1)".
Old 02-21-2018, 05:24 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24414
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
  • I can confirm that many sheets use the "iso-5589-1" encoding label in the header. As far as I can tell this is likely, as DM states, an error, with 8859-1 as the correct iso designation for latin-1. It looks like this was an error in the original code for the sheets that we propagated with new sheets that used them as a template.
  • I can also confirm that with chrome or safari on MacOS non-latin-1 characters are not correctly interpreted upon save and reload.
  • I'm not entirely sure why roninkelt was able to stick ú into his sheet. I can enter it, but if I save and reload the sheet it has been mis-encoded.
  • Changing the stated encoding of the sheet for the browser to iso-8859-1 doesn't fix anything (I didn't think it would, but I checked just in case.)

I believe that the encoding issue has to do with how the data is being passed between js, php, and the database. Unfortunately, untangling this is a bit more complicated than I have time to deal with at the moment, but it is definitely something that needs to be corrected.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
I used a 3.5e character sheet on Chrome on Windows 10. Maybe Windows is a bit more forgiving (or non compliant) than either OSX or Ubuntu?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:19 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you for looking at this issue. I played a bit with the developer tools in Chrome. It seems that the character sheet page is transferred to the browser using the ISO-8859-1 encoding and this is interpreted correctly by the browser. When I save the character sheet and the form is posted to ajax_save.php, however, the browser's request headers contain:
Quote:
Content-type:application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=UTF-8
In other words, the character sheet form is sent back to the server encoded in UTF-8. Apparently, the server ignores this encoding and interprets the bytes as text encoded in ISO-8859-1.

I see three workarounds:
  1. Get rid of legacy encodings like ISO-8859-1 altogether and move everything to UTF-8. While this is probably technically the most elegant and future-proof solution, converting a whole database and code base is a highly non-trivial task.
  2. Make PHP aware of the encoding used by the browser when form data is submitted so that a conversion is done from whatever encoding the browser uses to the encoding used by the server/database.
  3. Force the browser to use ISO-8859-1 encoding when submitting form data.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninkelt View Post
I used a 3.5e character sheet on Chrome on Windows 10. Maybe Windows is a bit more forgiving (or non compliant) than either OSX or Ubuntu?
Could you check with the developer tools of Chrome which encoding the browser uses when the form data is submitted?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
@disaster_master how would I look at the header when it's submitted?

It sounds as if vbulletin has the 8859-1 charset baked in someplace. With XML docs the default encoding is utf-8 if nothing is specified either in a BOM or the xml header. Since our header is malformed, it should default to UTF-8 rather than iso-8859-1.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:00 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninkelt View Post
@disaster_master how would I look at the header when it's submitted?
If you press the F12 key in Chrome, the built-in developer tools are shown. Then you open the Network tab. From that moment on, you can see all the network traffic, for example when you save the character sheet. You will see a Request (sent by the browser) and a Response (from the server). The request includes the data you typed into the fields and also a content-type header. In my case, the content-type header specifies that the browser sends the form data in UTF-8 format.

Quote:
It sounds as if vbulletin has the 8859-1 charset baked in someplace. With XML docs the default encoding is utf-8 if nothing is specified either in a BOM or the xml header. Since our header is malformed, it should default to UTF-8 rather than iso-8859-1.
When sending out the character sheet's RPG Crossing's server adds the header:
Quote:
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
I've checked; this overrides any encoding declaration in the document. So the browser interprets the document as if it was encoded in ISO-8859-1.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster Master View Post
If you press the F12 key in Chrome, the built-in developer tools are shown. Then you open the Network tab. From that moment on, you can see all the network traffic, for example when you save the character sheet. You will see a Request (sent by the browser) and a Response (from the server). The request includes the data you typed into the fields and also a content-type header. In my case, the content-type header specifies that the browser sends the form data in UTF-8 format.
For whatever reason I'm not seeing the network response and request. I guess I'll be of minimal use in helping diagnose this one...

Old 02-24-2018, 01:09 PM
Aeth I, Queen of Discord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31138
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
It doesn't look like any more diagnosis is required, only time on the part of the site coders to chase after it. Coders do have lives like everyone else, and we are grateful that they choose to volunteer their time to make the site run smoothly.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Speaking of coding, I volunteer to put my own coding skills at the service of this site in case it would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14639
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Actually, where is a good place to learn coding from? Thinking of going back to school and need to bone up on my programming chops.