Old Jan 28th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1466
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
Modern Magic

UsernameErmine
Posting Rate1-2 times per week. I CAN do more, but that's the speed at which I'm most comfortable.
SystemConcept requires at least Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, Acquisitions Incorporated, and the Modern Magic UA.Dungeons and Dragons, 5th Edition
ConceptPlaying a modern or cyberpunk (preferably modern) setting, adventuring in a gig-based economy. There's room for fantasy and sci fi!
SettingIn the style of The Secret World. Basically, conspiracy theories and folklore are true, but are kept secret from the general populace. Secret organizations, such as the Illuminati and Templars control regions of the world (The US and Western Europe, respectively, in this case), and recruit, relocate, or destroy those gifted with magic or other powers.The real world, but with secrets. I would like a game where we travel the world for our adventures, but have a main "hub city" appropriate to whatever faction's jurisdiction we fall under.
Party LevelI'm hoping to have this game feature characters level 6 or higher, but I'll settle for a lower level game since I have someone using the Crowdfunding Patron in a game I'm running.
OtherWhat I most want is to play this new warlock "patron", inspired by something I found on pinterest: a crowdfunded warlock. That is, if Patreon was a source of magic. I want to make sure it's balanced, first and foremost, but also fun.

I'm fine with playing a Champion Fighter if homebrew is a problem, too. Otherwise the same character.
CharacterName: Cinder Doherty
Class: Crowdfunding Patron
Pact of the Chain
First Taste of Power: Mask of Many Faces
Necessary Skill: Sleight of Hand
Warlock
Race: Half-Tabaxi (AKA catgirl)
+2 Cha
60' Darkvision
Mobile feat
Speaks Common and one other language TBD
Custom Lineage {Tasha's}
Background: Celebrity Adventurer's Scion {Acq. Inc.}

Statistics: 5'9", 120 lbs, 19 years old, cis female, biromantic, asexual

right-aligned image
Appearance: Cinder and her twin sister Ashe are both slim and tall. They have matching golden brown eyes and nearly black brown hair. Cinder wears hers in a standard ponytail, while Ashe likes to braid hers intricately. Cinder bears a tattoo paid for by her first patron: A curled weasel surrounded by flames on her left shoulder. Her clothing is often simple, but not so simple as to not attract attention from onlookers. Both Ashe and Cinder's cat-like ears match their hair color, with a soft pink inside, and their tails are long with short hair.

History: It was a cool autumn day. A tabaxi woman was in nature, delivering her babies herself, squatting over a riverbed. With her is her human husband, a retired, but still famed, adventuring paladin, who still maintained his Oath of Devotion. The first child born on this day was Ashe. The second, Cinder, a few moments later. Their father performed a brief ceremony as his wife recovered, after which the baby girls were cleaned and held close to their mother's chest.

Years later, Ashe would be chasing boys around the playground, while Cinder was occupied on the phone she and Ashe shared, given to them days earlier by their parents for their tenth birthday. Cinder had already had boys following her, being awkward around her, but she had no interest in them yet. For her, there was more fun to be had gaming and otherwise creating content.

Her first website was published a few months into her 12th year. A simple site, devoted to her gaming passions at the time. There was a nice little visitor counter there, and a way to contact her publicly, so her parents could see.

At 16, she got her first gig as an adventurer, though it didn't end well. She realized she had no skills around the same time her party did. She was kicked out, but with the provision she could return when she could actually do something productive.

For this, she turned to a crowdsourcing site. It was usually used to raise funds, paying for adventuring gigs and the like, giving monthly quests. It also had a very little-known section where powerful patrons could donate power in exchange for monthly tasks that are in your skillset. This is where she got her first real magic.

She spent the next few years building up a rapport, as well as an arsenal of powers she could use as long as she could keep her growing number of patrons happy.

Last edited by Ermine; Mar 1st, 2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 11:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I could also recommend Pinterest wizards (who spread magical techniques and spells over Pinterest) and Twitch streamer gaming bards, but I don't really think those warrant new archetypes. I did make an urban druid archetype, though.

Last edited by Ermine; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 10:44 PM
Chaotic Good Mindflayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 903
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
bump for interest!

Looks really cool, do you have a plot line or any rough story?

Is it kind of a plug and play based on the characters that come out?

I’d like to play a ‘Rave Monk’ basically a monk class who is styled as a rave punk scene guy.

Maybe some light bionetic upgrades, perhaps some ‘live link’ tech in a visor or something.

Did you have a city in mind for where you’re building this out Ermine?

Last edited by Aoem; Feb 13th, 2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I didn't have anything in mind. Really just wanted to leave it to whomever decided to run it, since they're the one who has to make it work in their style.

I can change Cinder to fit whatever setting they come up with, but for now, she's just a generic modern character.

Currently leaning toward a modern style RP, in the style of The Secret World, but not as MMO-y. Basically, conspiracy theories and folklore are true, but are kept secret from the general populace. Secret organizations, such as the Illuminati and Templars, control regions of the world (The US and Western Europe, respectively, in this case), and recruit, relocate, or destroy those gifted with magic or other powers.

But as for where we play, I'd like a bit of world travel.

Last edited by Ermine; Mar 1st, 2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 02:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I've made plenty more archetypes if anyone wants to use something not normally available (and I'm willing to make more!). Things like the Technomancer Fighter (which uses psionics for hacking cybernetics and other electronics) or Tenets of the Shadowrunner
-Watch your back. The streets are dangerous, and you can't trust anyone.
-Shoot straight, conserve ammo. Make sure to kill once you've started a firefight, but do so without waste; you never know when you'll need to be armed and ready.
-Never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed in the Oath of the Shadowrunner Spells table. See the Sacred Oath class feature for how oath spells work. For you, Conjure Barrage and Hail of Thorns work with firearms.

Oath of the Shadowrunner Spells
3 | Hail of Thorns, Hunter's Mark
5 | Enhance Ability, Find Vehicle
9 | Conjure Barrage, Protection from Ballistics
13 | Compulsion, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
17 | Dominate Person, Holy Weapon

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options. See the Sacred Oath class feature for how Channel Divinity works.
- Divine Reach
As a bonus action, you present your holy symbol, and gain the ability to use your Divine Smite ability with ranged weapon attacks, including with firearms, for the next minute.
- Spirit of Honor
As an action, you present your holy symbol, and each creature of your choice that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you until the end of your next turn or until the charmed creature takes any damage. You can also cause any of the charmed creatures to drop what they are holding when they fail the saving throw.

Dragonbane
Starting at 7th level, your Divine Smite ability deals an additional 2d8 force damage to creatures with the Dragon type. This increases to 3d8 force damage at 18th level.

Street Divinity
At 15th level, you can use your Channel Divinity ability one additional time before needing to complete a short or long rest.

Legendary Shadowrunner
Beginning at 20th level, you can empower yourself with the legends - whether true or exaggerated - of your great deeds. As a bonus action, you gain the following benefits for 1 minute:
-You are blessed with an otherworldly presence, gaining advantage on all Charisma checks.
-Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack and miss, you can cause that attack to hit instead.
-If you fail a saving throw, you can use your reaction to reroll it. You must use this new roll.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a 5th-level spell slot to use it again.
Oath of the Shadowrunner Paladin (if we go cyberpunk), or other modern ideas (if we don't). Plenty more where this came from~

Last edited by Ermine; Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 03:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I'd also be willing to play anything using Spheres of Might and Power, since the books and the wiki are public now. A doomblade elementalist would be fun in a modern setting.

CharacterName: Ashe Doherty
Class: Path of the Geomancer
-Destruction sphere: Invigorating (blast type), Retribution (blast shape)
-Nature Sphere {Metal package}
Elementalist: Paladin's Training
Key Ability Modifier: Charisma
Bonus Talents:
-Equipment sphere: Modern Voyager (discipline), Unarmored Training
-Dual Wielding sphere
-Barrage sphere
Martial Tradition, Magic In the Blood
Bonus Spell Points: 1 + 1 per 6 levels in casting classes
Key Ability Modifier: Charisma
Bonus Magic Talents:
-Creation sphere with Limited Creation (cannot Alter) variant: Expanded Materials
-Mind sphere: Suggestion (charm)
Drawbacks: Emotional Casting, Focus Casting, Verbal Casting
Boons:Bound Creature
Casting Tradition
Race: Half-Tabaxi (AKA catgirl)
+2 Cha
60' Darkvision
Mobile feat
Speaks Common and one other language TBD
Custom Lineage {Tasha's}
Background: Celebrity Adventurer's Scion {Acq. Inc.}

Statistics: 5'9", 120 lbs, 19 years old, cis female, biromantic, heterosexual

right-aligned image
Appearance: Cinder and her twin sister Ashe are both slim and tall. They have matching golden brown eyes and nearly black brown hair. Cinder wears hers in a standard ponytail, while Ashe likes to braid hers intricately. Cinder bears a tattoo paid for by her first patron: A curled weasel surrounded by flames on her left shoulder. Her clothing is often simple, but not so simple as to not attract attention from onlookers. Both Ashe and Cinder's cat-like ears match their hair color, with a soft pink inside, and their tails are long with short hair.

History: It was a cool autumn day. A tabaxi woman was in nature, delivering her babies herself, squatting over a riverbed. With her is her human husband, a retired, but still famed, adventuring paladin, who still maintained his Oath of Devotion. The first child born on this day was Ashe. The second, Cinder, a few moments later. Their father performed a brief ceremony as his wife recovered, after which the baby girls were cleaned and held close to their mother's chest.

Years later, Ashe would be chasing boys around the playground, while Cinder was occupied on the phone she and Ashe shared, given to them days earlier by their parents for their tenth birthday. Cinder had already had boys following her, being awkward around her, but she had no interest in them yet. For her, there was more fun to be had gaming and otherwise creating content.

During puberty, Ashe began manifesting strange magical powers. Being as magic "wasn't real" to the majority of the world, she had to hide it, like her father before her. She even kept it secret from Cinder for as long as she could, but in the end, she had to open up to her about it and confide in her, hoping for acceptance. She received it. So much that Cinder went and did what so many people in stories did, and took power from an outside source.

Ashe led many a boy (and even a couple girls) astray in their "path of righteousness", but only for good fun, never to hurt anyone. She considered herself a "teacher of the self" for them, granting them experiences they likely would have found out much later. She took pride in this role.

When she was 18, last year, Ashe picked up her first gun, taking up her father's mantle as a smiter of evil. She wanted Cinder to take up the same role, as they were twins, and she did, though her training was a little different, given she had to please so many entities. Ashe has always felt guilty that magic has come so easily to her and not to her sister, and is unsure exactly why only she got it from her genes.
FirearmsMartial Ranged Weapons
WeaponCostDamageWeightProperties
Pistol, semi-automatic200 gp1d8 piercing3 lbsAmmunition (range 50/150), light, reload (15 shots)
Revolver250 gp1d12 piercing4 lbsAmmunition (range 40/120), light, reload (6 shots)
SMG300 gp1d8 piercing4 lbsAmmunition (range 30/90), burst fire, reload (30 shots)
Rifle, hunting 300 gp 2d10 piercing 8 lbs Ammunition (range 80/240), reload (5 shots), two-handed
Rifle, automatic 550 gp 2d8 piercing 8 lbsAmmunition (range 80/240), burst fire, reload (30 shots), two-handed
Shotgun 400 gp 2d10 piercing 7 lbs Ammunition (range 40/120), reload (2 shots), two-handed
AmmunitionCostDamageWeightProperties
Rounds, 10 count10 gpN/A1 lbN/A

Last edited by Ermine; Mar 28th, 2021 at 10:42 PM.