Mechanics Character Workshop and Roller Room - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Descent: A dragon's tale
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2015, 01:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15237
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Character Workshop and Roller Room

This thread is for character creation discussion and rolls as needed for that purpose.

FYI: IN GAME rolls happen in the thread to which they belong.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Testing things...

Last edited by savoylen; Oct 18th, 2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2657
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
I'll be using point buy. In all my years of gaming, I've only come out ahead with rolling once or twice, and I figure in a heroic game, who wants to play with a bunch of single digit stats. Good luck to those of you braver than I!!!

I'm creating a bard, but giving her a 13 in wisdom in case I decide (and you allow) to multiclass her into nature cleric or druid down the road. The bardic comes from her elven overseer. Perhaps when she actually sees the wider world, her forest gnome nature will lead her in another direction. I do intend a couple of wee, little friends (mice, rats, something) in the cavern. She only hopes her dragon won't eat them.

I have to say that I LOVE this concept. So many people in my gaming circle are running published adventures. They're pretty good adventures, but after awhile they start to feel similar. One of my groups is all home brew, and I love it, but this takes it several steps further into the wilderness. Huzzah for creative DMs.

I'm living at the Carolina Renaissance Festival right now, but plan to have lunch at Panera where I can work on my character without using up my data limit on my hotspot.

Cheers!!!

Here be dragons ...
On indefinite hiatus from gaming ...
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
Since Trill's overseer is an elf, would she know elvish instead of gnomish? Or since she was 5 and verbal when she was taken, is gnomish still her non-common language?

Here be dragons ...
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
More questions, re: dragons, and I will completely understand if you want us to just choose for our own random reasons ...

I love the idea of the foresty green dragon, but it's personality in the evil version is nasty, and totally at odds with my sweet-tempered Trill. Personality matches best something like the gragarious brass or silver. Are you willing to give us a hint on what we should base our choice? Or should I just say, "ooh, forest gnome ... green would be visually and location-wise appropriate?" I'm not clear how turning an evil dragon into a neutral dragon will change what/who they are.

Thanks!

Here be dragons ...
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Good question... our bonded dragons are a bit different that the feral ones. Each of our bonded Dragons will have their own personality. Remeber, after the bonding - you're playing the dragon as much as you are playing the person.

Some races as "NPCs" or as "Monsters" have a default worldview.
Specific PCs and Monsters as PCs are not held to the same rigid box.

Thats not to say you won't be temped by your base natures (as a person or as a dragon), but you won't have to be limited by there.

I hope that helps!
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffinSong View Post
Since Trill's overseer is an elf, would she know elvish instead of gnomish? Or since she was 5 and verbal when she was taken, is gnomish still her non-common language?
Your age as a gnome would be .75 X adult age (ish)... you would have plenty of time to learn your heart language of gnome in addition to the common. If you want another language you have a great story-reason to select elf.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
Cool, thanks. I really like how the green dragons use birds and small animals to tell them what's going on around their forest lair. That ties in very beautifully with the forest gnome's ability to befriend and speak with small animals. So, I'm going to put Green as her preferred and I'll work with whatever that (or any other color) entails. Thanks!

Here be dragons ...
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 378
juikej juikej juikej juikej
I am going to do stat rolling. Time to gamble.

Dice Roll: [using: rstat2]
4d6kh3mod 4, 5, 5, 2 (keeping 4,5,5) Total = 14
4d6kh3mod 5, 1, 4, 5 (keeping 4,5,5) Total = 14
4d6kh3mod 5, 2, 5, 6 (keeping 5,5,6) Total = 16
4d6kh3mod 6, 6, 6, 6 (keeping 6,6,6) Total = 18
4d6kh3mod 2, 4, 4, 4 (keeping 4,4,4) Total = 12
4d6kh3mod 4, 3, 2, 3 (keeping 3,3,4) Total = 10
total modifier: 12

Last edited by juikej; Oct 20th, 2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Removed dumb question
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Dreaming of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
Holy wow! Nice ability rolls!

Here be dragons ...
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 03:04 PM
3.5 apples tall

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1724
ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf
No kidding!

I'm pretty new to RPG crossing and haven't actually rolled for attributes in a d&d game in years. I see that there are several options for rolling sets of stats. If I wanted to take my chances, is that "rstat2" the preferred option for doing it?
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 378
juikej juikej juikej juikej
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasmurf View Post
No kidding!

I'm pretty new to RPG crossing and haven't actually rolled for attributes in a d&d game in years. I see that there are several options for rolling sets of stats. If I wanted to take my chances, is that "rstat2" the preferred option for doing it?
Yeah that is what I used.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Nice set of score, congrats -
Chance truely favored the bold!!

Last edited by savoylen; Oct 20th, 2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 11:05 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1696
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
I'm thinking of being brave and roll for stats. So......if the rolls are bad......can we take point buy if that happens?
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 10:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozombie View Post
I'm thinking of being brave and roll for stats. So......if the rolls are bad......can we take point buy if that happens?
That kind of defeats the point of taking the risk doesn't it!

The power of a "bad" set of rolls is that it makes us deal with character weaknesses. Some of my most memorable characters come this idea.

I'd rather you take the point buy or array rather than to fudge (ignore) a set of rolls that you didn't like.
Closed Thread