RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 14th, 2020, 12:35 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7729
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Outside the Light

Game NameOutside the Light
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeProtecting a Solar Punk Utopia
FlavourAnime and Solar Punk Aesthetics
Setting
In Oroka the people live in peace and harmony. They follow the light and the light touches them all. The light keeps all things clean and the city humming. In Oroka everyone has a purpose determined by the light and their aptitudes. Mechanics, hog farmers, terrace farmers, food stall workers, it is all determined at the age of adulthood for all races.

Some live outside the light, either because they were hurt and couldn't be fixed or they were hurt in their minds and healers could not help. Such people are considered disabled and it is the duty of society to help those outside the light.

Still others are chosen from within the light to work outside of it. Who they work for or what they do is a mystery, but once chosen they are rarely seen and never acknowledge their old lives. Some call them shadows, but it is clear that they work for the city in some way, and that they live in a way like the others outside the light, supported by the city and not their own earnings.

Black tiles that enclose the city and keep it safe from the burning sands beyond, from time to time beasts crash through the tiles and seek the waters and life within Oroka. This is when you typically see those that work in the shadows, but there is rumors that these shadows bring the beasts themselves to the city.

Q&AQuestion: What is the light?
Answer: It is a belief system that does not include a deity. It is heavily ritualistic and rigid to a point. It is administered by the Statues of Gal and they are the official authority in Oroka. They speak in the holy language and their words are translated to the people by the priests who are the only ones that have mastered the holy language.

Question: This all seems very rigid, but you said people were happy and there was peace.
Answer: Aspirations are not ignored by the priests or the Statues of Gal, and people are allowed to change their tasks if they are willing to be retrained. Money is handled in a strange way, you are allowed to benefit from excess when it is available but the needs of all must be met first. This means that you will get a credit statement each month that will give you the ability to purchase items that are not essential to life. All needs for life are provided evenly by the city. The only way to get rich in Oroka is to save or exchange services for credits after your task is complete.

The StoryYou have been called on. You have been replaced in your task by a young person or you are a young person and you were not assigned a task. You are now working outside the light. The priests have gathered you in the Temple of Gal and you have already walked in front of the evaluating gaze of the statues. They have led you deep into the complex where you can feel the warmth of the black wall, away from the shining light of the city center.

You have probably never been this close to the desert beyond, having only heard tales from the tile cleaners of what is beyond Oroka. The dusty parched plains and the jagged waterless valleys. You can hardly imagine this yourself coming from the green covered city drenched in sunlight and the lakes and rivers that cover the cities lower levels caressing the foundations of the ancient buildings that grow like stalks of grass into the light.

Some of you notice that something is different as you move deeper into the complex. Things are happening inside you, things you don't understand. Some feel music well up side them, others feel ice, fire and electricity begin to dance on their fingertips. For others their minds open to the deafening outpour of the minds around them. Something about this place is changing you and yet you are still being ushered deeper as waves of these sensations pass over you. Some of you do not realize what is happening to the others because you just feel the warmth of the wall and nothing more.

Some stop but the priests quickly push them on further, deeper, closer to the edge of the only civilization that you have ever known. Some begin to scream in confusion and others in pain. Thoughts invade minds and after a moment there is chaos, but just as those around you break you find yourselves in a large open courtyard full of weapons, things you have only seen those who work outside the light use. Cruel tools of death.

A female elf stands on a slightly raised plinth and holds up a hand, the voices in your mind stop. Another male gnome holds out a hand and a shimmering sheet of energy flies towards you. Some try to leap out of the way, others try to blast it with their newly discovered elemental mastery and gouts of fire, ice and lightning strike out at it. It is all for naught, the sheet hits you and those that had control of the elements state blankly at their hands. The powers of creations that they only just learned about all of a sudden back out of their grasps.

A third old man steps forward and bows, "Now you understand why Oroka is the last city, given the power they were born with the people of this world have rendered it barren beyond our walls.

We are the Shadows and you will soon be among us, but first you must learn to control your potential. Not all of you are here because magic lives inside you or because you can reach out with your mind. Some of you are simply superb specimens with great potential for warfare.

Oh yes, this is what you are tasked with now. We are at war, everyday we fight to keep what is left outside out and what is left inside in and safe.

You have one year to master your talents if you do not your mind will be broken and you will forget all that you ever knew. A task that Seska here is more than capable of doing, but we do have another option, Bokim here can kill you with a word.

There really isn't much more to tell you. Your rooms are near the entrance to the temple away from the wall, but you will be here everyday from now on to train and learn."

Q&AQuestion: How could people who have innate magic never know that they had it, wouldn't they find out if they ever went near the wall.
Answer: They are assigned tasks and housing near the center of Oroka, there are also gates that only people that are assigned tasks to those certain areas can pass through. The majority of living takes place near the center of the city and there is little near the walls aside from farming.

Question: Is there any magic at all in Oroka?
Answer: No, it is covered in an anti-magic field. It isn't known if the field is natural or being generated in some way. Psionics are also being affected by this field. Technology has replaced things that once were done with magic, but there is no memory that magic every existed, even among elves and other long lived races. There is, however, electricity, which is generated by the black tiles and it keeps the whole city running. People understand electricity, but don't understand how it is generated, just that they can tap the lines for power.

Questions: Are there weapons in Oroka? Can my character carry a gun?
Answer: No. The city is founded on a policy of non-violence, even law enforcement only carries non-lethal protections, such as a baton, only enough to give them an advantage in the off chance that a fist fight breaks out or some one attacks with a kitchen knife. Guns are available in training and they are at a level of revolvers and magazined rifles (no automatics or semi-automatics, each shot requires you cock it and pull the trigger).

Character RequirementsNo Drow. Don't ask me why or push it, I dislike the race and I won't be swayed, this is my world after all. This includes drow half-elf.

The city is home to more than 200,000 people and the following races make up the population. Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Ratfolk, Vanara, Tengu, Lashunta, Vishkanya, Wyrwood (must have living machine alternative racial trait, they also age and reproduce). Distinct racial cultures have been replaced by the dominance of the city's culture. All are citizens of the city and there is no animosity between races.

A note on Alignments: Evil is extremely selfish and self-centered actions, it is not drowning puppies. It is not feeding off the pain of others or some other derangement. That being said, the city has endeavored to make the community focused on the good of the whole rather than the individual, a truly unremorsefully selfish person would be rare and wouldn't likely be selected for this service.

The game is picking up at the end of your year of training. You can gain a level in as little as three hours of training in the early stages of character advancement. This means that after your first day of training you are already a level 1 character, well on your way to level two. At the end of a year of training you will be a level 8 character with 71,000 XP.
Write UpName:
Race:
Gender Identity:
(Lashunta need to list birth gender in parenthesis if they are non-binary or trans for mechanical purposes only. Otherwise list how your character presents and their pronouns that those that already know them may use. This is important as I will be NPCing their trainers and they would know how they want to be addressed.)
Class:
Archetype:
1 per class
Traits:
Just 2 please
Alignment:
Description:
A small left aligned image of less than 300 px across is fine, but a written description is required. This game is technically Solar punk and Anime inspired, so those are good places to start looking for images.

Note: One of the following elements should be presented as a writing sample through your character's eyes. Each section should be a paragraph or two long.

Early Life in a Utopia:
Write about your character's parents and their tasks. Was there anything that happened in your character's childhood that impacted them and perhaps steeled their nerves or made them realize that their city is worth protecting. Did you see the Shadows take down a beast that slipped through the wall? Did another member of your family disappear into the Shadows? Did a member of your family get sick and become someone outside the light, a burden on the city, and now you feel like you owe it to the city to make up for their lack of productivity? Anything works really, you are just looking for an underlying motivation for your character to accept their appointment into the Shadows.

Life Before Shadow: What did your character do before being recruited? Who did they say good bye to knowing they would never return?

Life in Shadow:
What did your character learn? Who did they make friends with? Did everyone that they started with make it through the training or did some drop along the way? You do not have to use other applicants in this section you can make up NPCs.

Last edited by Pendragon; Dec 14th, 2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 12:41 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Application due date is Jan 16th at 12pm Pacific Time
Q&A
Q: Post rate?
A: GM posts will be on a schedule, expect to post twice a week.

Q: Number of Players? Application Due Date?
A: I am open to up to 6 players and I will set a due date a few days after the ad launches.

Q: Can we use third party sources?
A: Spheres of Might and Power as well as Path of War are available. Everything else should be Paizo.

Q: Ability Scores?
A: Array with three options:
A: 18, 14, 14, 10, 10, 8
B: 18, 16, 10, 10, 10, 8
C: 16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8

I want powerful characters but I also want everyone to have some vulnerability. These scores are generated with 25 point buy.

Applicants
PlayerCharacterRaceClassStatus
Arjuna332Kataria LauregnoryHumanMonkComplete
AmargaOrsik IrontoeDwarfGunslingerComplete
MugginsPacificaHumanHedgewitchComplete
PainterofMinisAleya HalfglassHumanWizardWIP
CatCanCookShandrel GleeHumanConscript/IncantorComplete
ricktur63EmsalaHobgoblinDruidWIP
Fyre2387Jix HarlaGnomeMesmeristComplete
UnforgivenEldaaran Vinicio "Longshot"ElfMultiWIP
drooblesScias ScathachHumanMultiComplete

Last edited by Pendragon; Jan 13th, 2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 01:35 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1042
Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332
Looks interesting and promising. A few questions though: Do the players start with Level 8? Also, do you only accept magic casters?
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 01:37 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah the game picks up right after you finish your training, so level 8. Martial characters are also important because if something breaks through they will be the last defense for the city since magic will not work inside. They will also be effective outside the city as well, of course. A balanced party always has some martial character.

Last edited by Pendragon; Dec 14th, 2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 01:42 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Alright. Also, you mentioned that the light is a belief system that has no deity. So, is it possible for a cleric or paladin to exist in this setting?
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 01:51 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
There are a couple ways to tackle this. You can actually have access to unknown gods, following ideals that are meaningful to your character using them to manifest your power, or you can make the philosophy of the "light" into its own deity. I am open to either approach.

If you want to just select domains that are meaningful for your character that is fine, I might ask you to change them so try to keep them reasonable. If you want to use the "light" the domains are Law, Protection, and Sun.

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 01:55 AM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19451
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Level 8 is an awesome point to drop into pathfinder, so much to choose from! I have just had a couple of games start up and am busy getting them sorted, but if they settle quickly I would love to put in an application for this game! Looks amazing!

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Settling into a work pattern. Mid-week is busy, close to weekends, clear for posting
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 02:16 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, I think I can understand that. I got another question.

What is Solar Punk? And can you give an example of it?
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
"Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garg...rdurous_Planet

This is an example, the people on the ships are a kind of solar punk. They are using technology but trying to maintain the ecosystem they live in as well. It is the antithesis of cyberpunk in a way, but is closer to steampunk because the technology is less harmful (maybe?). There is some art available online that shows more of the aesthetic if you search for solar punk. I am also certain that there are other anime examples but this is the one that came to mind.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 09:36 PM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, I think I've got some idea on who to make. I'll post an app soon.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 01:00 AM
Femme as Hecc

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8974
Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins
Hello again Pendragon! Solar punk and gender identity support is totally my jam. Are you sticking to just first-party Paizo stuff for now, or are you open to some third-party spice?

Last edited by Muggins; Dec 16th, 2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 03:59 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
Hi Mugs! Not sure on the third party, I suppose it would be case by case. What did you have in mind?
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 04:29 AM
Femme as Hecc

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8974
Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins
Just the usual suspects: Psionics, Path of War, Spheres of Might/Power. If I know what I'm working with, it makes it easier for me to integrate mechanics with character.

Spheres in particular has some really evocative themes and interesting character powers! Springs to mind everything from a Time-Twisting Duelist to a Fae-Warped Rat-Mage.

Last edited by Muggins; Dec 16th, 2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 09:22 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Kataria Lauregnory
left-aligned image
Name: Kataria Lauregnory
Race: Human
Gender Identity: Female (she/her)
Class: Monk
Archetype: Sage Counselor
Traits: Intimidate is always a class skill for you, and you may use your Intelligence modifier when making Intimidate checks instead of your Charisma modifier.Bruising Intellect, You gain a +1 trait bonus on Sense Motive checks, and Sense Motive is always a class skill for you.Suspicious
Alignment: Lawful Good
Description: Stoic and stern-looking, Kataria doesn't seem to show expression too much, always frowning and seemingly displaying disdain towards those around her. Her dark purple hair is fashioned into braids which are also tied up to appear tidy. She wears a pair of glasses, making her seem like a stern librarian than a martial artist. She wears a modest outfit, which is purple in color, though still quite accentuates her rather generous figure.

Early Life in a UtopiaEver since she was young, Kataria often heard about Shadow, and her curiosity was piqued the moment when she saw these Shadows taking down a beast that somehow managed to find its way into the city. Being the daughter of a librarian, Kataria spent most of her time studying and researching about the Shadows. As she grew older, her fascination about the Shadows grew up to the point where she wished to join them. She saw their task in protecting the city as something noble, and despite her father's profession shaping her into the person she would become as she grew older, her desire to join the Shadows emerged from her admiration towards them.

Life Before ShadowThis was like a dream coming true for Kataria. For many years, she desired to join these Shadows, and now, she was given such opportunity to join their ranks. She had to contain her excitement after learning the news, knowing that she had cultivated her own appearance, turning herself into a stoic woman with aloof disposition. She certainly didn't want to ruin her image by cheering loudly, after all.

Standing before her was a man who was significantly older than her. He had offered her the opportunity to join the Shadows as one of their own, and Kataria could barely contain her excitement. "We could use someone with your talent. You will become our great asset among us, as a Shadow." The normally stoic woman couldn't help but crack a smile, knowing that this was the opportunity that she had been waiting for.

"Of course, once you agree to be one of us, you will have to leave your old life behind..." The man then told her. "You should at least take your time to say goodbye, if you wish to accept our invitation." Realization started to sink. She would have to leave her father behind. Her old, aging father. That alone was enough to make her hesitate, but then, she steeled her heart and nodded to him, showing her determination.

"I understand. I... I will let my father know first..." She said. This was what she was waiting for, and she couldn't afford to let this opportunity slip away. She had decided to spend a long time with her aging father, knowing that she might not be able to see him again in the future.

Life in ShadowPowers came differently to Kataria. When others received their powers that could allow them to make use of magic, the power that Kataria received was much subtler than others. She didn't experience any great change in herself. Still, she somehow felt something changing in her. She somehow found herself perfectly attuned to her surroundings, and with great discipline that had been ingrained into her, she cultivated this power, making it her own.

Unlike others, Kataria couldn't use arcane arts. Instead, she made use of her discipline to perfect her body, mind and soul. She also made use of her knowledge that she had gained from her reading. She could tell that she could easily lose this power if she ever slip and stagnate, so she kept herself disciplined, making sure that she would be ready to commit herself to her duty as a Shadow. She was certain that one day, she would be able to attain perfection and enlightenment.

Last edited by Arjuna332; Dec 31st, 2020 at 02:42 AM.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 09:58 AM
Purgare Wildlife Preserve

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1536
PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis
Posting interest. Not 100% sure on a character concept just yet though.