twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
leaves spin windward

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39346
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
About Aethera

There doesn't seem to be a convenient way to introduce oneself on this site (barring the New Member introductions) without creating a post in a game. So, here it is, a post in this game. I'll try to remember it's here and update it with new information.

RPGX Chat Server!I spend a lot of time hanging out in the unofficial RPGX Discord server. We're a crazy and often rowdy lot, but we're a lot of fun, if I do say so myself. (Think of it like a tavern. There'll be a range of personalities and people, some may be intoxicated, but the overall feeling is one of revelry.) C'mon over to Discord and introduce yourself!
The OathI have taken The Oath of Sangus to never disappear from a game without notice, however brief. I recommend this to everyone! My notice is usually in my signature if I do not get a chance to visit every OOC thread.

Anyway, my name is Aethera (eth-eer-uh). This is not a given name, but a chosen one. It has more meaning to me than a username (I use it here and there as such), though very few people I interact with actually use it in conversation. That may change, but it doesn't really matter to me what people call me as long as I'm aware they mean me. Aethera is a promise I made to myself, a goal for life, and if I'm the only one who uses it, that's all that matters.

I'm disabled, and I fill my time with multiple games on this forum, my deviantART gallery and community (though I've been inactive there of late), and I've posted a few of my poems here as well. It's harder to post longer pieces, or I'd try to post those. If I have any hope of a publishing contract, though, I can't make public any of the manuscript(s) I hope to publish. It is what it is. (I've got one finished manuscript, but chapter one needs hack'n'slash revision before I can try to find an agent or progress further. And yes, if you ask me about novel writing I'll gush and go all 'fangirl' on you. )

As a gamer or storyteller I consider myself fairly skilled, but it should be noted that about every three months I've disappeared for a week or so, outside my control. I get migraines that make me too sick to keep my regular medications down, which then means I hit really nasty withdrawal. This will likely happen in the future as well, there's nothing I can do to prevent it, just minimize it. This last time it wasn't a week, and I didn't truly leave, but my posts dropped to next to nothing in-game. I hope this means progress.

My Games:
  • That Fine Line Between Genius and Insanity (13th Age)
    Set on a quest to take the princess to a safe haven in the face of many dangers threatening the Empire, the five PCs are going to have a hell of a time figuring out what to do next when they wake up realizing they are the main characters in a fantasy adventure novel. They'll have enough facing them to continue on, but sooner or later someone's gotta ask... we're the PCs, right? We can totally [insert dumb idea here]. Right?
    >> Our Story So Far...

My Characters:
  • Puma, in Sassafrass' Tyranny of Dragons (D&D 5e)
    The druid who is far more comfortable wandering around in beast form was sent to investigate the upheaval in the natural forces in the area by the Emerald Enclave. They know something is wrong, but not the details, so Puma (as a black cat) wandered around the town of Greenest and found an adventuring party that was going to return to the raiders' camp and try to fight them off again. He offered to go, too.
    >> Defenders of Greenest listing

• Margherita ("Rita") Carrara, in Kapera's Portage: Rising from the Ashes (Vampire: the Masquerade)
    Margherita has had a rather comfortable life since she was Embraced to the vampiric kindred in the early 40s, and her time in Portage over the last fifty years was no different... until she started having the dreams. Vague and often hard to recall, she was certain there was some portent involved, especially since she has been training that particular one of her talents of late. Then came the night of the wild thunderstorm where the vision was clear as a bell; she woke with the echo of the words "we failed" ringing in her ears and the discomfiting feeling that her heart, still for over seventy years, had just pounded in her chest. This time, when she urged her sire to listen to her, he heard her out, and the general discomfort of her peers (as well as her sire himself) did not help reassure her. And then the news of the death of her friend and business partner--the first final death of an acquaintance she had ever experienced. The night has just begun yet Margherita's world has crumbled to ash already...
    >> abbreviated version of Rita

• Serafina Anifares, in Sassafrass' Descent into Avernus (5e Planescape)
    >> Serafina draft workspace

• other character ideas archived

My Projects:
  • Site Moderation
    In June 2016, the admins invited me to join the site moderation staff (otherwise known as "the reds"). My duties change periodically, but mostly I keep track of The Library, pinch hit with the multiple Advertisements subforums (including the game approval process), help out with Outplay annually as much as I can, and now I help Nimlos with the Hall of Fame nomination/voting process. Feel free to contact me for anything you need, though, whether it falls into those categories or not! I'm happy to help with whatever I can.

• Hall of Fame! (yearly)
    I've agreed to help out Nimlos with this year's Hall of Fame process. Mostly you all go and nominate the best games and then we check through them to make sure each fits the criteria, and so forth. Then nominations become a public poll and there's oversight required to keep it on course. Finally the Community Supporters vote on the favorites from the public poll. For now I'll just shadow Nimlos, do what he tells me to, but I get to see how it works.

• 13th Age Resources
    I'm a big fan of the new (2013) 13th Age game system. It's streamlined and story-oriented, with just enough mechanics to get by, without getting hung up on minutiae. hippo started collecting resources in one place to try and fuel more community members getting involved. I signed on to help with the resources, as I'd love to see a bigger 13th Age footprint on this site. Likewise, when Outplay could run it, I jumped on the chance.
  • Writing Prompts and Critique
    In the interests of encouraging writing outside of gaming, I've posted two challenges so far to prompt people to write; a 100 Themes Challenge, with (yes) a hundred prompts to respond to, and a Zodiac Cycle Challenge, which challenges a writer to use aspects of the Greek Zodiac to write several pieces of a longer story (for the novelists among us).

My Poetry:

If I think of anything worth telling you all, I'll update this.

Last edited by Aethera; 09-30-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:07 PM
leaves spin windward

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
End of October 2019
Very slow, multiple medical issues.

Hello all, I had warned my players about my slow-down, but it seems like I owe the explanation to more than just those six, so here it is. I've had a tooth pulled and I'm in a lot of pain, so I've been taking pain meds and other things that impede function. I expect it'll be down to just irritation levels by the end of the month.

Of course, I'm then having a surgical procedure on November 1st, in conjunction with the start of National Novel Writing Month, so any recovery from the tooth will be forgotten once I need to recover from surgery and write lots of words daily. I don't think I'll be quite as useless, assuming I only need a minimum of pain medication, I'm likely to just curl up in my armchair or bed with my laptop during recovery. Not really sure what will be, though, so I don't quite know what my November will look like until I get there.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:01 PM
leaves spin windward

Tools
User Statistics
November is National Novel Writing Month!
Slow and steady is the plan.

At this point I think I'm done "doing" things to my body, I just need to spend some time recuperating. I'm doing pretty well (I'm out and about), but I hurt by the end of the day, making late night "just let me get this post finished" unwise at best. I was wondering how I could kill my players last night, and that's with me knowing full well they'll kill the monster in the next round. It just seemed like my goal should be total destruction. >.>

NaNoWriMo is also stealing my focus, so I'm going to have to get some kind of schedule going where I write my words for the day, then do other posting, and then go back to the novel if I still have energy left. I'll figure it out before the end of the month, I hope.
Closed Thread