RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
The Grey Marks

Apps have been re-opened with a differance. Check out this post for details.

The Grey Marks
Game DetailsSystem: Mutants and Masterminds 2nd ED, Warriors and Warlocks suppliment
Game Summary: A group of dark characters are forced to work together for the sake of the country that bound them, dealing with things to dark, dangerous or boring for real soldiers and the church to deal with. Do it, and you might earn your freedom. Fail and you die.
BOOKS: Do not worry if you do not have the books. The VAST majority of M&M 2nd ed is Open Licence (12 of 14 chapters of the main book and ALL of the suppliment!). I can help you make your characters if you get in.
Character Creation: The game will be starting at PL 6. Noone is super strong, but together you can take out most moderate threats without casualties.

Character Apps
Name:
Race: (Preferably human or classic rp races, but if you feel the need to be a kobold or zombie thats fine as well. Any race that is awkward for the party (such as a vamp) is likely be rejected.)
Alignment: Not all members of the Grey Marks are evil. Perhaps you are a mage from another country, a volunteer to the guard seeking a licence to perform your magic here. Perhaps you are a warlock, a demon worshipper who summons forth creatures of great evil, caught at your foul acts by the church. Perhaps you are a werewolf, whos only crime was being bit and living.
Note that being EVIL doesn't make one stupid. Stupid people die. Fast. Attacking team mates is frowned upon greatly, leading to marks lost. Its just not a fun thing to do, without very very good reason.
Idea: Are you a hulking warrior, capable of blasting through walls and taking a hundred arrows in the chest without stopping? Are you a mage capable of throwing balls of fire and teleporting around? Are you an intelligent zombie, strong and durable but also rotting and stinking and weak against Light and Life magics? Perhaps a trained assassin?
Background: Public or Private, is up to you. Post outside of secret what is known about you publically though.
RP Sample: Roleplay out your capture by the church of the lifebringer. Details are unimportant, I just want to get a feel for your character. No need for a novella, but it should be at least four paragraphs and spellchecked.
OATH: If accepted do you promise to stick around for more than a month or two, and to post at least three or four times a week?

DEADLINE: Friday the 4th

Current ApplicationsDr. Anthony deMarcus - Jekhl and Hyde, alchemist and brute -
Kenthen Verbois - Fallen Paladin -
Tick-Tock - Intelligent Golem
Fletcher - Werewolf

Last edited by Moridain; 03-07-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
One Man, One Vote

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2008
GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark
Suicide Squad in a fantasy setting? Sounds awesome!

Application coming soon.

Then run with us...
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1056
Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf
This looks fun. Have an idea for a disgraced paladin that joins the Grey Mark in order to redeem yourself. I have the main M&M book but not the supplement so I'm going to research that a bit before I officially make my app.

Last edited by Baileywulf; 10-25-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
The suppliment mostly just defines classic DND stuff like Wizard magic, how much damage bonus a warhammer gives you compared to a shortsword and the like. The entire book is open source I believe (it says so on page 3) so you should find it somewhere.

And a fallen paladin is just fine. What did he do? Kill a complete innocent? Perhaps a superior? Release a heretic, or even shelter them from the Church? The Church of the Lifebringer is basically fantasy church of good meets dark ages inquisition: Good intentions, and many good actions and people, but very very unforgiving.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf
Probably going with the killing of innocents do to being a bit overzealous in enforceing the churches doctrine. I'll have a full app up by next week. Moving this week so I might be a little busy. One question, do the fallen paladin rules work the same? Just wondering if he's going to have access to any divine powers or if I should just create him as a straight tank.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
If you are a 'fallen' paladin then he would have no powers. You would probably be a straight tank, significantly less powerful than you were but still PL6. You could have a few traces of powers though (immunity to disease for example, maybe a light healing touch) but nothing major.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 156
Zombie Hunter Zombie Hunter
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Name: Dr. Anthony deMarcus
Alias: Grimm
Race: Human (Involuntary Transformation, Normal Identity)
Alignment: Chaotic/Good & Chaotic/Evil

Idea: [Jekyll/Hyde] - Dr. deMarcos is level-headed and just... but he is tormented by his own personal demon, Grimm. This 'other' side of the Doctor is the anti-thesis to deMarcos, he's violent, brutal... and deadly. The one redeeming quality is that Grimm knows and seemingly understands that he and the Doctor are one and the same, at least in body. As such, he doesn't willingly risk either life if he can help it.

Background: Dr. deMarcos was a brilliant alchemist, he strove to uncover the secrets of several ancient nations military might. Some had said that the ancient warriors had the body of beasts and the minds of man, some others speculated that the warriors were actually apes who'd been trained to appear human. In his studies deMarcos had stumbled across a worn and descriptive tablet that spoke of an elixir that enables the mind of a man to return to it's animalistic nature and increase the potential of the body a matter of ten-fold. The cost of the tablet, which had been smuggled into the kingdom had been great, and the cost to his person would be greater still. His attendant had secretly told one of the King's men of his illicit affairs with shady figures and dark secrets. Some whispered of demonic pacts, and still others spoke of hellish details concerning men and illegal tampering with their bodies in the wager to find this secret.

It was much less romantic and horrific than all that in any case. It was a simple matter of finding the ingredients and concocting the potion from the recipe found upon the small but vital piece of stone. It took him months to gather the materials and another week to decipher the exact portions and time-sensitive effects of the slate... but eventually he was able to succeed in his venture. No alchemist would dream of enacting a potion upon another, that he himself would be unwilling to endure. Thus it was a fateful night that Dr. deMarcos decided to drink from his small stock of potent liquids... and it just so happen that this was the exact moment that the magistrate thought it best to induce himself and a comrade of soldiers into the affairs of the Doctor. The carnage was ugly, the violence was a thing of beauty... and the result was such that the Doctor was now within the Grey Mark organization, and Grimm had been brought into existence.

"Planning for the future."RP Sample: deMarcos looks into the mirror unsure whether to believe his good fortune that the face staring back at him was in fact his own. Sleep-rimmed eyes lined in a dull blue-black peered back beneath brows of auburn. Steel-gray orbs reflect his relief and his guilt. A shaking hand rises to wipe the water from the human face, steadying more and more as realization came to it's bearer. Realization that he alone was within the small series of furnished rooms.

"Alone... at least for now." The Doctor spoke aloud, but in no more than a whisper. Any attendants would have been hard-pressed to hear him... if he still employed any... if he was allowed to employ any. In good will, anyways. His innate nature disallowed him the pleasures he'd once known, he was too afraid of what Grimm might do if he'd happen upon anyone within the domicile, anyone who wasn't intimate with the cunning, but brainless brute. Grimm, the word was almost spat out of the man's mouth as he thought of his alter-ego.

Grimm had his uses, of course. The Doctor wasn't so blinded by disgust not to know or acknowledge this... but he still didn't have to like the creature. He was a man of logic, of reason... a man of science. Grimm was a beast of emotion and instinct. Ideally, everything that Anthony had spent his life NOT to become. Regardless they both had business this day, but the Doctor's would serve first. With a studied movement, the man placed his coat on, aiming to cover the stripe that marred his once handsome face. He'd paid a good sum of his own savings to purchase the duster... the high-capped collar was an accent that had cost dearly, but had been worth it in the end. The mark was both a sign of concern and a disturbance to him during his dealings, and one thing he couldn't warrant was a loss in business or time due to some technicality. He was far to sensible for that.

He moved out of the house 'they' shared, and made his way to the central market. He had business with a particular stall this afternoon, and nothing would keep him from refining the elixir that allowed the prowess and bestial might of Grimm to come forward at a moments notice. Ever was deMarcos searching for the potion that would perfectly combine the mind of the man with the body of the beast... what a machination for perfection he would be then. His dream of divinity was ever only a herb or incantation away... and nothing could keep him from that ascension.

"One of many."OATH: I do hereby swear that my place within the game will be as secure and viable as the mind of deMarcos and the body of Grimm. I will do all within my power to post as often as required and remain as steadfast as my fellow players.

We who walk together:Character Sheet: Anthony deMarcos
Character Sheet: Grimm

Last edited by Zombie Hunter; 10-26-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Name: Kenthen Verbois

Race: Human

Alingment: Lawful Good (before fall. shifting towards Lawful Evil, but not quite there yet)

Idea: Brutal warrior that will do anything in the name of his cause. Light devine buffs if possible.

Background: Kenthen's parents were peasant farmers that were killed by bandits while kenthen was still young. He was taken in and raised by the church. Kenthen was raised to follow the churchs doctrines to the letter. As he grew, and kept growing, it became obviouse that Kenthen had a knack for combat. It was decided that he would join the Paladins of the Lifebringer. Kenthen thrived under martial traing, growing to be a bear of a man at nearly 7' tall and just under 300 pounds of solid muscle. It was rumored that he had giant blood in his veins, though the church could find no evidence to confirm this. He has faithfully served his church for 25 of his 28 year, and while some members of the church find his actions to be a little unforgiving at times, they do not question his layalty or his usefulness.

RP: Kenthen stands before a large wooden desk, hands manacled behind his back, head down, blood trickling from the corner of his mouth.
"The charges set before you are quite serious," the elderly father says, shaking his head as he reads over the report in front of him, "Can you please tell me why you thought it was necessary to destroy an entire village?" The priest looks up at Kenthen, waiting for an answer.
Kenthen tries to talk, but chokes on the blood that had formed in his mouth. Clearing his throat and swallowing, for it would not do to spit on such a high ranking member of the clergies floor, Kenthen raises his head and meets the priest's eyes. Kenthens steel grey eyes show no hint of remorse. "They sheltered a heritic."
The priest waits for more. Minutes pass, and when it becomes obviouse that Kenthen was not going to elaborate any further, The old man sighs. "Be that as it may, there was no reason for you to kill all of them. How do you think this makes the church look?" The priest doesn't wait for an answer. "We are not an orginazation based on fear. Our purpose is to help people and protect them. You have failed."
Kenthen lowers his eyes, ashamed not of his actions, but because of his failure in the eyes of the church. "I would gladly accept death as punishment for my failure." he says horsely.
The priest looks up at him, smiling, but none of the good humor reached his cold, angry eyes. No, I think death would be to easy. The church has uses for one such as you, though you will have to be stripped of your rank as a paladin. I think its about time we had someone loyal to the church within the Grey Guard."
Kenthen looks up at this, shocked. He starts to protest, then realizes who it is he is talking to. "Yes father" is is only reply.

Oath: I pledge allegiance
To this game
And will post
At least 3 times a week.
I will stick around
At least two months
And won't rage quit
If I roll a one.
One nation under D20
With creativity and good times for all

Last edited by Baileywulf; 10-26-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:29 AM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
Only three interested parties so far? I must admit I am honestly surprised.

If I dont get a bit more interest in the next few days I will probably change my mind. :P
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hopefully it'll catch on after the holiday.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16609
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Oh, hey. Didn't see this. Let's see if I can come up with something.

Name: While never really given a name, it's been given many nicknames. Versions include "Ori", "The Orichalcum Man", "Ol' Goldface", "The Tick-Tock Man", and "Mr. Happy Face".

Race: The Tick-Tock Man is. . .unique. That's it's crime really. Nominally it's crime was being Cult of the Dead but that's more an excuse then anything. The Tick-Tock Man is a crime against nature in the eyes of the church, because it's Life without the Lifebringer.

Ori was never born, but made. A splinter sect of the Cult of the Dead tried to combine the best parts of Necromancy and Artifice. Some experiments were more successful then others. Ori for instance, is in most ways a Clockwork Golem made of a metal that at a glance appears to be Gold- though alchemists can quickly confirm that it's closer to Copper. It even ticks the seconds away, tick-tock-tick-tock. The difference is that Ori is powered not by the standard spells, but a Life-Unlife Reactor in it's core. Somewhere deep inside, tiny streams of Life Energy and Unlife Energy collide and the resulting mutual annihilation reaction powers Ori. It's body, it's mind, and most dramatically it's magitechnical weapons and defensive systems.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral, Ori is more prone to following orders then disobeying them but it can interpret them strangely to say the least.

Idea: You know those automatic traps and defenses dungeons are absolutely crawling with? What if one of them was a little more lively then it should be? And what if it decided that it's future career prospects are too limited for it's liking?

Plus Magitechnology/DungeonPunk is always fun.

Background: Ori's story begins about 100 years ago among a Cult of the Dead sect. This one would always consider itself loyal to the crown, and more adventurous in other respects as well. One of them being an attempt to blend Necromancy with creating Constructs. Some results were better then others, though the Zombies with gear-assisted limbs were a nice touch. They were stronger for it at least.

One of the more esoteric experiments was the Life-Unlife Reactor. They'd noticed quickly that if one streamed together Life Energy and Unlife Energy the result were explosive to say the least. Could this be used to power constructs?

The answer turned out to be a very solid Yes. The Tick-Tock Man was the result in fact. A clockwork golem whose energies could power so much more then just a dumb thug. Complex magical weapon systems and defenses could be created, and the mind- well, eventually it would grow complex enough to be sapient. Not that anyone found that out unfortunately. The Tick-Tock Man's sect planned to give him as a gift to the Royal Family, but another sect of the Cult of the Dead assassinated the very king the Tick-Tock Man was going to protect.

There was Chaos and Madness in those days. For a hundred years Ori stood vigil over the underground complex of a Cult of the Dead research center, waiting for masters and new orders it figured out would never come. And so he waited. Adventurers would stray into the complex of course, calling it a Dungeon in their ignorance. Few made it past the upper defenses. Fewer still were in the mood to actually talk things over with the Tick-Tock Man and attacked it on sight. It defended itself of course, and usually destroyed it's opponents handidly.

But this new group is much different then those that came before. . .

RP SampleHow long had it been in sleep mode this time? Checking internal chronometers suggests 17 years, 4 months, and 9 days this time. Good, topping off the reactor wouldn't be necessary for a while yet. It would be. . .awkward. . .to be caught at such a time. The other defensive systems report the speed of the new 'intruders'. Not really fair to classify them that now, what with the Creators long gone, but it lacked better words.

It detects the footsteps of a marching group much sooner then it usually does when intruders start venturing down further levels. This group was disciplined, organized, and there were a lot more of them then normal. They go through the Gear-Assisted Skeleton Banks in almost no time at all. It didn't like that part of the defenses but a program had to be followed. Still, it had plenty of time to try one more idea it had after the last intruders.

When Paladin-Captain Algers of the Expeditionary Forces made it to the bottom level, he certainly did not expect to find Tea waiting. It wasn't very good Tea, granted. Mostly water at this point. It's hard to grow a proper Tea plant at the bottom of a research complex by Death Cultists.

"Good Evening."

"Bugger Hell, did it just Talk?" says Private Jones.

"A weeks' kitchen duty for swearing," Algers scolds Jones, but agreeing completely otherwise.

"Apologies before hand for the obstacles you had to overcome to reach this point. It's an old program, I'm afraid our choice in the matter was quite limited."

"There were casualties, more then we expected." Algers responds, having to remind himself to keep the sword raised.

"As I said, apologies. If it helps, I'm the only one here with any sort of will of my own. And even then I don't have a choice. My last instructions were to defend the knowledge stored here, use it in the best interests of my creators. I can't disobey that any more then you can stop being a Paladin. Tea?"

"Is it Poisoned?"

"Why would I do anything as dreadful as that? You must be parched, and I'm afraid options are rather limited. Your kind can't even drink the water. Research waste containment breach, apologies again if you thought the water was intentionally poisoned. Boil it first and it's quite safe. Are you sure you don't want Tea?"

Captain Algers, for reasons in which shock was no small part in, accepts. The others are surprised, but a few spells insure that it's quite safe if very weak Tea.

"I have to say, this is quite peculiar."

"I'd wager." Ori remarks, faking taking a drink and spilling it on the floor while soft clockwork sounds fill the air.

"Tea, then we'll try to kill each other. Thank you for being civil first, no matter how it goes either way."

"You're welcome. Though in honesty, I was rather hoping to avoid that last bit of unpleasantness."

"Pardon?"

"My mission clearly state that I am to use the knowledge stored here in the best interests of my Creators. My Creators are all long dead, buried, and have received their just rewards whatever they be. Keeping the knowledge stored here locked away certainly isn't going to help them. Sharing it may be in their best interests."

"The collected knowledge of a Cult of Heretics?"

"Heretics who managed to create a construct who is not only self-aware but capable of defending this complex for over a century. and who has decided to make Tea for the intruders this time instead. Did you know I was constructed with the intention of eventually being gifted to the Royal Family for protection?"

"No, I had not."

"Then consider the idea that we could end this day with many of us destroyed, or we could end this very much alive- you with a store of knowledge carried back to your Church freely as long as all the Paladins swear an Oath on their Honor that my creators will get due credit for any Good achieved thanks to the knowledge found here.

But in the mean time, Enjoy your Tea.
"

OATH: Mori, you know me. :P
Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 PM
InkBlazer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1532
Sifer Sifer Sifer Sifer Sifer Sifer Sifer Sifer Sifer Sifer Sifer
Name: Shuka Tres
Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Idea: Wandering Mystic (Street Level Archtypes), A strange man from a place far away, Shuka is revealed as a sorcerer while trying to retrieve an anti-poison for a member of the clergy. The Church shows the young man no mercy and after nearly a decade in solitary confinement Shuka is given the Grey Mark.

Background:

A man of many secrets is locked away as a self admitted sorcerer. A middling warrior at best, he relies on a suite of abilities that prove useful in interesting ways.

RP Sample: Roleplay out your capture by the church of the lifebringer. Details are unimportant, I just want to get a feel for your character. No need for a novella, but it should be at least four paragraphs and spellchecked.

OATH: I do so swear to not disappear and to post at least three or four times a week.

Last edited by Sifer; 10-31-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
OATH: Mori, you know me. :P
No I don't. Who are you? What are you doing here?! GET AWAY FROM ME!

... /cough cough/
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
Just a note to those considering putting in apps: A negative energy based caster would work very well with what I have planned. You won't be allowed to start with any undead if you go Necromancer, but it might be worth going for anyway...
Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 AM
Spongy Cheese Monster

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 652
NightSky NightSky NightSky NightSky NightSky NightSky
I'm thinking, as we have a hulking brute, a construct, and a fallen paladin, I think we need something entirely different. I want to play someone who happened to be in the completely wrong place at a horribly wrong time, which is to say in proximity to Princess Tinkr in a compromising position. It may have been an honest mistake, a wayward act, playing tag or the like, but nevertheless he gets yoinked into GK because... well to have such poor morals, and in the presence of a Princess no less!