RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > OR Archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
"Not just a pretty face."
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14732
Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin
The Captain's Mafia Sign-Up & Information Thread

Opening
The Captain's Mafia Sign Up & Information Thread
Relevant: Wikipedia's Article on Mafia
Current Stage: GAME II: ALPHA WEREWOLF - SIGNUPS SEARCH

Current/Upcoming/Past Games
Current Game Thread: -
Current Game Rules: -

Upcoming Game: Game II: Alpha Werewolf
Upcoming Game Rules: Click

Previously On Mafia: Simple Mafia I

What The Crap Is Mafia?Alright, so you've stumbled across this thread, possibly curious as to what it is about, and I figure in the opening post I should probably explain that! If you haven't checked the link above (here it is again) then I suggest you do so, since it will more or less explain everything in most likely better terms than I can. However, I will give it my best shot. Here we go...

What is Mafia?
Mafia is a social game about an informed minority (Mafia) trying to outwit an uninformed majority (Town). The purpose of the game, like many games, is to win, but the conditions for your victory are different depending on what side you are on. The Mafia seek to kill all of the townspeople, while the Town seek to lynch all of the Mafia before they are killed. The town will be active during the day, discussing, and trying to figure out just who the heck is trying to kill them along with the Mafia who will be trying to sow seeds of doubt, and get them to lynch their own allies. The mafia are active at night, and each night, select one person to kill.

The game ends when:
- All the Mafia have been lynched.
- The amount of mafia is equal to, or greater than, the number of remaining townspeople.

How do you play?
In person is explained pretty well in the link above.

In a forum, it works like this. The game is played in turns, and each turn, there are two phases: day, and night.

In the day phase, players talk (post) amongst themselves along with the mafia to try and determine who they should lynch for that day. When a certain number of votes are reached, or enough time has passed, the day ends and someone is lynched (killed) and taken out of the game. A day phase will usually be 48 - 72 hours long, depending on players and their ability to post.

The night phase comes next, and in this phase, people with special roles may activate their powers and mafia may select a person to kill. Some roles, like the cop, will allow you to determine someone else's role, while others, like the doctor, can protect a person targeted by the mafia. The night phase typically lasts 24 - 48 hours, depending on how quickly actions are recieved.

This day/night cycle continues until one side is declared a winner through their win conditions (above).

Basic Roles

Townsperson - You are a vanilla townie, you have no special powers, and each day, you can vote for someone to lynch.

Mafia - You blend in with the townies, seeking to kill them at night, and mislead them into lynching their own during the day (typically... ). You can vote during the day as well, so don't forget about that!

Doctor - A doctor can save someone targeted by a mafia at night (but he cannot do anything about a public lynching during the day!). If someone is targeted, the doctor will save them. If the doctor tries to save someone who wasn't targeted, nothing happens. A doctor is allied with the town.

Cop - A cop, each night, can examine someone and determine their role, whether it is a townsperson, the doctor, or a mafia. During the day phase, a cop is like any other townsperson, and can vote to lynch someone or try to cast suspicion on to (or off of) whoever they examined the previous night. A cop is allied with the town.

Special Considerations
In some games, I may add other roles, or some roles may not available. There may also be special rules for those games. Don't worry, I will describe them all in detail at the time of the post. I'm just mentioning it here so it doesn't come as a surprise.
That's really all there is to it.

About Me/This ThreadThe purpose of this thread is for sign-ups, and information. A new thread will be created (unless an admin/mod sees this and says no) when the game begins, where all gameplay will take place. This thread will be CLOSED to posting during this time, and re-opened for post-game chatter once the game has finished. When I have the time, and have decided upon the next game, I will post the rules, and sign-ups will begin again. I'm hoping to eventually make this a regular thing, but I aim high, so.

As for me?
I've not been on DNDOG long, but you can check through my post history to get a pretty good idea about me. My experience with Mafia has been... limited, I'll say in advance. I have played in several games, but have not hosted one. As everyone needs to start somewhere, I figured why not here?

I will be asking for feedback from players at the end of each game on things they think I did right/wrong, so that I may adjust and make things more fun for everyone and get more people involved. On that same token... try to get your friends involved, so we can get some fresh blood, and maybe bigger games!

Last edited by Captain Devonin; 05-05-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin
Game 1: Simple Mafia
Game 1 - Simple Mafia
Accepting Sign-Ups - Min: 5 Players

Alright, here is the first game. I'm hoping to keep it pretty vanilla for the first go, but we'll see what happens. Please make sure you read over the rules, and post if you'd like to sign up!

MafiaPleasantville was a nice city, a peaceful city, a... pleasant city, at least until the day a poor soul turned up dead with a hatchet in the back of his head. The mafia has come to Pleasantville, and it is up to the town to find him, and lynch him, before he kills the remaining few residents of this small, otherwise peaceful community.

Without further stalling...

The Rules
1] You may not talk about the game (once it has started) with anyone aside from the host outside of the game thread.
2] By extension - No PMs, no secret texts, no IM, e-mails, or other outside communication. If you suspect someone, you post in the thread. If someone contacts you via secret text or PM, please inform me.
3] Once you are dead, you're dead, unfortunately, at least until the next game comes around. Please do not communicate with any living player, or post in the game thread for the duration of the game.
4] Do not quote, screenshot, or otherwise make available a PM of your, or anyone else's roles. You are welcome to say "I am the cop," you're also likely to be the next person to die.
5] For this simple game, roles will be revealed upon lynching/killing. Future games may be blind.
6] A day phase will last 72 hours (3 days). I will post when it begins, and when it ends, at each phase.
7] A night phase will last 24 to 48 hours; 24 if all PMs are in within that time, 48 otherwise. Players are not to post in the thread during the night phase. As with day phases, I will mention the day/time these will end and the next phase begins.
8] A lynch requires that at least 25% of the available votes to be successful, otherwise no lynch will happen that day. When a lynch does happen, well, majority rules, sorry pal! In the event of a tie, the first player to have reached that amount of votes is offed.
9] If no kill is performed at night, the reason will not be revealed. (Thus is a doctor saves someone from the mafia, nobody dies, but you won't know if that is because of the doctor, or because the mafia chose not to kill).
10] If you sign-up, you are expected to be active. You will be auto-lynched if you do not post for 2 day phases. Fair warning.
11] When voting to lynch, please make votes bold and red, and labelled! Such as: VOTE: Captain Devonin. If you wish to retract a vote, just use UNVOTE. If you wish to change your vote, you may, and I'd appreciate it if you go back through the thread and strike out your old vote.
12] I wish for a minimum of 5 players, and I will accept a maximum of 10. The roles will be as follows, based on players (subject to alterations; I'm still learning after all):
  • 5 Players: 1 Mafia, 1 Doctor, 3 Town
  • 6 Players: 1 Mafia, 1 Cop, 4 Town
  • 7 Players: 1 Mafia, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, 4 Town
  • 8 Players: 2 Mafia, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, 4 Town
  • 9 Players: 2 Mafia, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Town
  • 10 Players: 2 Mafia, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, 6 Town

Feedback "Rule": As this is my first time hosting (no, I'm so not trying to make that apparent, why do you ask? ;P) I'm completely open to feedback/suggestions. I've been reading up the best I can, and will adjust roles above if deemed unfair for one side or the other. I recieved the role layout above from one of the sites I read on the matter.

Player List
1] Creapers
2] Pyrate
3] Nightbanegod
4] DaMavster
5] abc123
6] doggius
7] philipjm
8] godofallbears
9]
0]

Last edited by Captain Devonin; 04-12-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 91
Creapers
Count me in, Captain!
Exam time approacheth, please attribute any absences or delays to its irresistible black tentacles of both time consumption, and the theft of my writing ability. On a somewhat related note, it turns out getting hit by a car is hard on PbP games. Please forgive the absence.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Set slenderman on fire...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 148
Pyrate Pyrate
First!
Interest posted! All I do is win!

Dang IT

Last edited by Pyrate; 04-09-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Creapers
Missed it by that much, eh, Pyrate?
Exam time approacheth, please attribute any absences or delays to its irresistible black tentacles of both time consumption, and the theft of my writing ability. On a somewhat related note, it turns out getting hit by a car is hard on PbP games. Please forgive the absence.

Last edited by Creapers; 04-09-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM
ResidentBardicPhilosopher

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1266
Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod
posting interest! Lemme be the first to say Creapers is a Mafioso! Evidence... he clearly cheated in order to get first post...
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6040
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
I'm in.

Posting Status: Delayed, see here
Recruiting: Hell is for Heroes | Playing: Sky Cities of Magida, Tangled Web, Pirates of Drinax
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
xD.
If you guys know someone else who may be interested, feel free to throw them a link to the thread. That's 4 people so far. Hopefully we'll get a few more people notice the activity here...
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
I'm definitely interested. Who doesn't love a rousing game of Mafia?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
There is the initial 5 from people who just sent me PMs. Now to see if maybe we can get a few more people in here...

I'm thinking about starting on the 11th or 12th, so 2-3 days to get a few more. I'll probably put the thread up around 4 PM EST.

I'll make sure to PM everyone when I put the thread up.

Anyhow, as for the rules in the second post... how is everyone with them? They look OK to everyone? At least for the first round? (And a basis for more, so I'm hoping... )
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Creapers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Devonin View Post
Anyhow, as for the rules in the second post... how is everyone with them? They look OK to everyone? At least for the first round? (And a basis for more, so I'm hoping... )
Just one thing. I worry about the 25% rule, because in certain scenarios it could give the mafia a voting bloc (i.e., in an 8-player game, the mafia make up 25% of the players...).

Thoughts?

Last edited by Creapers; 04-09-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4504
Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy
What would be the activity requirements? One post / 24 hours?

Will it start with a day phase or a night phase?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
It will start with a day phase, I don't think starting with someone dying would be fun for that unlucky person.

I'd say 3 posts per day phase (so roughly 1/24 hours, yes) would be a good minimum unless someone disagrees. I wouldn't want to say a hard and fast 1/24 hours in the event someone can't be on for 24 hours during a day phase, and I wouldn't want to punish them for that. It happens.

<< EDIT >>
I will prod people if they don't seem to be posting very much, for sure. Mostly, I'm hoping I wouldn't need to set a minimum requirement and trusting you guys to post, and follow the 'be active' rule. xD.

Last edited by Captain Devonin; 04-10-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Set slenderman on fire...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 148
Pyrate Pyrate
PM Renrik about it. He might be interested. Tell him I'm joining and it might convince him. (hes my brother)
Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 AM
ResidentBardicPhilosopher

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1266
Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod Nightbanegod
the rules look decent enough. and in regards to the 25% bloc the mafia might hold, it's kinda up to the townies to come to a group decision then, cuz 3>2 and they would still have majority, if the mafia sow enough seeds of discord among the townies and they can't come to a good decision on who to lynch... well... too bad! they die.

according to the rules, the mafia wins when population mafia = population townies. So even with 2 mafia, there's going to be a time when they simply have more than 25% of the votes vs 3 townies. and it will take all 3 townies to agree on one person to break a tie... hopefully not voting for a townie... it's in the mechanics and math.

Last edited by Nightbanegod; 04-10-2012 at 01:35 AM.