Game Thread Part III: Exploring the Greenbelt - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > It's Good to Be the King
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Belros's Avatar
Belros Belros is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 17th, 2015
RPXP: 2935
Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros
Posts: 1,835
Part III: Exploring the Greenbelt

Initial Discussions9th of Gozran - Wealday

The festivities of the night before were a welcome and needed release for many of the inhabitants of Oleg’s Trading Post. The namesake and proprietor, Oleg Leveton and his wife Svetlana, feel the release of the pressure of trying to scratch out a living on the outskirts of Brevoy and the edges of the Stolen lands all the while having to fear bandits coming and taking all they’ve worked for; each of the companions realize the good they have achieved in defeating Kressle and bringing about these feelings for the couple; Bren, Volkan, and Mikel each appreciate the mercy that has been bestowed upon them as they have all agreed to turn away from their life of banditry and make an honest living. None of the three men shed a tear over the loss of Happs and Kressle, or many other of their band, and are thankful to find an opportunity at Oleg’s to do honest work and be a part of building something lasting.

So it is with throbbing heads cloudy by too much ale, but with hearts filled with hope and a mission still unfinished before them, that many of the companions greet the morning. Life on the frontier is hard and unrelenting so Oleg and Svetlana are up and working as the first rays of the sunlight peek over the eastern horizon. Svetlana hums a tune from last night's dancing as she carries a pale of goat’s milk and a basket of eggs into the house while Kai and Bren are at work in the courtyard. Jhod Kavken sits by ready to deal with any cuts or other damage from arrows that Kai cannot dodge while also praying that he doesn’t have to offer any other more significant healing. The nervous Bren does his best to help Kai train while also not killing him.

Inside the main house, Oleg, Volkan, and Mikel stand over the table looking down at plans Oleg has for expanding the trading post. Mikel makes notes on the edge of the parchment for the supplies and other items that they will need to complete the owner’s plans.

An hour later all of the companions are gathered around the table but looking over a map, not the expansion plans for Oleg’s Trading Post. With a crude-drawn map of the northern portion of the Greenbelt on the table before them, Volkan and Mikel do their best to provide what information they can about the area.

 


“There are only four crossings over the Thorn River,” Volkan begins pointing to each one as he mentions them. “There is one a little south of our former camp; a rickety bridge south of that but it is very dangerous as its name implies; then a crossing where the Thorn and Shrike rivers come together before heading south into the Tuskwater, and there used to be a rope bridge at Nettle’s Crossing over the Shrike but the Stag Lord had it destroyed.”

“They say Nettle’s is haunted too,”
offers Mikel.

“Words of Happs to scare the gullible,” replies Volkan with a frown at his friend. “The Stag Lord killed the owner and operator of the bridge, a Brevic man named Davik Nettles who built the bridge and charged a toll for anyone wanting to cross it. Somehow he and the Stag Lord got cross-wise and the Stag Lord killed him. That’s all.”

“I notice you never want to cross it,” Mikel responds with a smile.

“Well, anyways, those are your options for crossing the rivers to get to the south or going all the way around to the west.”

“Mikel and I haven’t been in this area long and we didn’t really get far out of the camp but we’ll answer any questions we can,”
concludes Volkan.

 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Geldar's Avatar
Geldar Geldar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 24th, 2024
RPXP: 7022
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Posts: 5,432
Darian Vanderan: Planning the Expedition.Darian takes another drink from his waterskin, trying not to drip water onto the map. Back in Brevoy, in his Order's map room a large canvas map is displayed on the south wall, complete with water damage on the bottom-left corner. Our young cavalier, then just a cadet, caught Abadar's wrath that day.

Well...given that we have horses, Darian looks at Kai as he speaks, aware that heretofore the small monk is averted to riding, I think we can explore pretty thoroughly while covering about One hex per day on horseback If I'm reading the Mechanics thread correctly.twelve miles a day. Just to get our discussion started, I propose we head back to the former bandit camp, with an initial intent to head Towards hex 6823south. We know Kressle's crew must have cleared out the area well-enough to have established their camp there.

I'll defer to our rangers if there are any Knowledge (Nature), anyone?real natural threats to be aware of, but otherwise I think that's...a relatively safe approach. It gets us in the vicinity of all the crossings, in case one doesn't work out.

We need to also decide on how much to take with us in the way of rations. I think two weeks' worth of rations for each person, seven days in and seven to get back, should suffice.

 

 
__________________
Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Geldar; Aug 15th, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Togot's Avatar
Togot Togot is offline
Lone Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 25th, 2024
RPXP: 9637
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Posts: 10,604
Kai hadn't participate much in the night's revelry. Such unrestrained displays were unusual to him, and made him feel uncomfortable. Training with Bran had gotten him feeling more at home, somewhat, but then the meet confronted him with yet another difficult situation.

Darian was right about horses being a more efficient means of travel, and It wasn't right for Kai to slow everyone down because of his pride, but he still just didn't like the idea of having an animal carry his weight.

From what he could tell he had only two options. The first was to simply go along and continue burdening an animal with his burden, or...

Kai looked over the map again before making up his mind. "While you're doing that, I'll have a more thorough look around the woods near here. If this is simply a recon mission to survey the land, there should be no need for us all to travel together."

Going off alone to scout the nearby woods would not require a horse for him to finish before the others returned, and it would also give him a chance to be away from the others for awhile. Though he did not dislike them, simply being part of such a group was becoming taxing on him. He had come here to be more self reliant, not more reliant on others. It seemed an agreeable compromise.

He looks to the two 'experts' and asks, "Are there any dangers I should be aware of? Any other inhabitants in the area?"
 
__________________
I'm not intellectually arrogant, I'm just right all the time
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Belros's Avatar
Belros Belros is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 17th, 2015
RPXP: 2935
Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros
Posts: 1,835
Volkan to Kai"I'm not one to tell another man... or halfling... his business," begins Volkan, 'but the Narlmarch Woods are a dangerous wood to even the most seasoned woodsman. And the Stolen Lands as a whole are not the safest of places to be traveling alone. Very few risk it." Volkan pauses and looks Kai over a moment before continuing, "I'm certainly not questioning your skill, Mikel and I both can attest to that, or your courage but you want to know what other dangers there are to be aware of? Well, I would say a lot. Boars, bears, wolves and worgs, with the occasional owlbear. Those are things that I've seen with my own eyes or witnessed their tracks. I've heard tails of a will-o-wisp in the woods as well as other fey creatures, tatzlwyrms big enough to eat a man whole, kobolds, mites and other dangerous things."

"And Kressle's camp wasn't the only group of bandits in the north. There are others around,"
adds Mikel.

Volkan nods his head as Mikel speaks and then Yarro adds, "Not to mention the trolls that I heard passing when Charlotte and I went scouting."

Volkan and Mikel both turn to look at Yarro, skepticism on their faces. "This far north?" quesions Volkan and Yarro answers with a nod.

"I'd heard of a tribe down south but that could be bad news if they are traveling this far north. I'd hate to think of what might be driving them north." The veteran warrior turns back to look at the map once more. "Well, that's what I know or what I've heard of. I can't say that I would risk it going by myself."

Last edited by Belros; Aug 18th, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Shadow0136's Avatar
Shadow0136 Shadow0136 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2021
RPXP: 4557
Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136 Shadow0136
Posts: 8,803
Suggestions Charlotte thinks for a few moments as she studies the map, and listens to the others before saying "I have a different idea. I believe that what we should do is start by exploring the plains and hills to the southeast of here, to get a better idea of the land and to ensure that the safer journey is done first. And then on our journey back we could explore along the edge of the forest. After that is done then we could take a day or two to rest before heading into the woods again."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Aviatrix's Avatar
Aviatrix Aviatrix is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 14th, 2016
RPXP: 213
Aviatrix Aviatrix Aviatrix
Posts: 157
Offering HelpAmber listens to the various ideas of the adventurers around the table before saying "Well... I can offer my help if you can help me find my family's old farm. But more importantly I believe that Lady Charlotte has the right idea of what to do. Since the plains will be easier to map, and can be placed on them using the borders of Brevoy as a reference." Looking around at the others she feels a little out of place with those here to work specifically on mapping the lands, but she wants to contribute. She does blush though as Darian glances at her, remembering how much she enjoyed last night.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Togot's Avatar
Togot Togot is offline
Lone Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 25th, 2024
RPXP: 9637
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Posts: 10,604
Kai wasn't frightened by bandits' tales. If they were indeed true, it would just be all the better challenge for him. One thing they said did catch his interest thought.

"Kobolds?"
he says, giving the men his attention. "Where?"
 
__________________
I'm not intellectually arrogant, I'm just right all the time

Last edited by Togot; Aug 18th, 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Belros's Avatar
Belros Belros is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 17th, 2015
RPXP: 2935
Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros
Posts: 1,835
Responding to KaiVolkan looks at Mikel who shrugs his shoulders in answer. "Not really sure where those buggers were," begins Volkan, "I never saw their home. Heard tale it was southeast of our camp though but I have no idea how far or where exactly."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Togot's Avatar
Togot Togot is offline
Lone Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 25th, 2024
RPXP: 9637
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Posts: 10,604
Kai looked back to the map, trying to guess where they might be, but if they were that far away, it wouldn't be practical for him to find them anytime soon regardless.

"And the Mites?"
 
__________________
I'm not intellectually arrogant, I'm just right all the time
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Belros's Avatar
Belros Belros is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 17th, 2015
RPXP: 2935
Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros
Posts: 1,835
Volkan again"The mites?" repeats Volkan as he thinks about the halfling's question. "Word was they were all over the Old Sycamore Tree, about twelve to fifteen miles east of the Rickety Bridge, somewhere His finger stabs in the middle of Hex 7022.here. Those are some crazy little boogers though." The area indicated by Volkan is in the midst of the rolling hills of the Greenbelt that the group experienced in leaving Kressle's camp with the wagon.

Last edited by Belros; Aug 19th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Geldar's Avatar
Geldar Geldar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 24th, 2024
RPXP: 7022
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Posts: 5,432
Darian Vanderan: Planning the Expedition.(cough, cough).

Ah, our bold cavalier has a mild cough in his throat! He's been dealing with it for a short while already, probably something in the fresh Greenbelt air. But nay that such a mild congestion will stop Darian from putting his best equestrian foot forward in helping explore the Stolen Lands!

Okay, Echoing Charlotte's proposal.plains and hills southeast of here sounds like a fine idea. I say we rest-up, make sure our previous battle wounds are all completely healed, and then we can proceed, forthwith!

Darian takes another drink from his waterskin, trying to keep his throat clear and himself properly hydrated.

Must drink plenty of liquids...

 

 
__________________
Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Belros's Avatar
Belros Belros is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 17th, 2015
RPXP: 2935
Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros
Posts: 1,835
Another voiceAs the companions gather around the map of the Greenbelt and discuss their options, the latest newcomer to the post steps forward. The cleric of Erastil, Jhod Kavken clears his throat and speaks, “Excuse me, as you may know, I am but a humble servant of Old Deadeye that has been drawn to these lands at the behest of my god. Somewhere in the south is an abandoned temple to Old Deadeye and I implore you to seek out this old temple so that I may restore it in the name of Erastil. If you will do this I can promise you all of my spellcasting abilities in the name of Old Deadeye for free to you. Would you take on this quest in the name of Erastil?”
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Geldar's Avatar
Geldar Geldar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 24th, 2024
RPXP: 7022
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Posts: 5,432
Darian Vanderan: Planning the Expedition.Darian took a moment to ponder the priest's request.

Ah, Erastil. So often the diety's views run diametric to Abadar's intentions; but the cleric seems a sincere and well- meaning type; and perhaps effective, to boot.

We could use a healer...

Well if we do intend to cover the southeast portion of the map anyway, I don't see why we couldn't see about keeping an eye open for the temple en-route. We have an old barn to keep an eye out for as well; who knows what we'll find on our pressing journey ahead.

Darian pauses to take another long drink of water.

Guess I should tend to Hardbiter pretty soon.

 

 
__________________
Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Jinro's Avatar
Jinro Jinro is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 5th, 2023
RPXP: 846
Jinro Jinro Jinro Jinro Jinro Jinro Jinro
Posts: 1,258
OutsiderAyam I looked around the table before speaking up hesitantly. "I can offer my help.. since I am stuck out here..." She had been mostly forgotten in the background, and was still unsure about what to do with herself now.
__________________
"If brute force hasn't solved your problems, it's because you have yet to apply enough."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Togot's Avatar
Togot Togot is offline
Lone Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 25th, 2024
RPXP: 9637
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Posts: 10,604
Kai considered his options. Exploring the forrest alone seemed unwise, but the plains appeared to be far less dangerous. If the others were set on scouting the south east then..."I'll take the north west then. When should we arrange to meet back here?"
 
__________________
I'm not intellectually arrogant, I'm just right all the time
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB