Watching, always watching
Good People  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22759
Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos
September Post of the Month Nomination Thread

This is it, the place to post your nominations for the best post on RPG Crossing for September 2016.

Please review the rules for the competition and post your nominations accordingly.

Ineligible MembersThe following members are ineligible for this month's competition:

Judges
Nimlos
Aethera
dirkoth

Previous 2016 PotM Winners
January - ogamodyna
February - Thorsten
March - Nade
April - Magically Musing
May - Nycro Shears
June - Spankucus
July - goatmeal

Now, show us who did the best work in September!

This thread will be closed on or about October 1.
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 11:11 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Nominee: zevonian

Game: Silent Memories

GM: hvg3akaek

Link to the post.

Context: Weeks after coming out of cryogenic suspension, crew members of a damaged starship have hope that their vessel will make it to a planetary destination. They had to deal with memory loss and on board saboteurs, but finally their goal is within view.

Reason for nomination: I've nominated posts from this game before. Tonight I wanted to show that it is possible for a game on this site to run for many months and have a proper ending. No vanishing GM, and an agreeable ending to a campaign can and did happen here.

Old Sep 29th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Put on a happy face.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35462
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Nominee: Rolzup
Game: Roundabout Storyboard
DM: Rolzup
Link: Link
Reason: We had a very dear friend leave the game this month. Dirkoth had been playing since he and I started it a few years back. It is still going strong, but I guess it has run its course for the big guy, which is understandable.

I went looking for some new recruits. The game is designed to be a round table DM style game, but there are a few of us who aren’t ready to jump on that train just yet. So in my recruitment I was looking for someone who would be a fellow player but who would be willing to jump right in and take their turn as DM.

Enter Rolzup. I propositioned him and explained the situation. We have gamed together before and are still in a game that is not really moving that well. But he is an amazing writer, an amazing gamer, and I guess the whole thing was just exciting to him. So he joined up, made a unique character in a system that isn’t very native to him, and he started reading about the setting we were casually using, Monte Cook’s Ptolus. And now he has opened up with an explosion of energy and posts. The first post was made and he waited for everyone to post their reactions but then there were three more updates in like 36 hours, nice detailed, dynamic stuff, creative and engaging, just like I like my Rolzup. I don’t think he plays any other way. And he's using the setting! So awesome!

It’s hard to say which one to nominate, so I guess I will default on nominating the opening post. But I think you should read them all because I believe that they are all basically one big opening exposition that has been broken up a bit to let us interact as well. That sounds suspiciously like what pbp is, but whatever.

Anyway, here is the post. It is pretty straightforward. We are all sitting in a tavern after completing a mission and this is the presentation of the next adventure. A girl walks into a bar and alights on a few strangers to tell her story.

Last edited by Gath; Sep 29th, 2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Peace was never an option
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35380
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Nominee: Avner
Game: The Temple of Elemental Evil
DM: EngrinAZ
Link: Link
Reason: I am not typically one to nominate myself, but sometimes you get a post you're so proud of you can't help but share it. Seeing how much everyone appreciated this one I figured I would share it for no other reason as to let someone else see a post that just felt right. The setup was pretty simple, we had two new party members joining our group after recently just discovering that the site of the Mouthouse we had been investigating was in fact the long ago location of a Cult of Elemental Evil. One of our less talkative party members had asked someone to catch up the new guys as introductions were being made. As a bard Taman was the perfect one to knowledge dump in character. This post was the result.

Last edited by Avner; Sep 29th, 2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14173
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Nominee: Nasrith

Game: Scales of War

GM: MontageManiac

Link to the post.

Context: It's taken some time for the group to actually come together (with some secrets still). They've survived the first chapter of this adventure, and tensions have flared throughout. Nasrith’s character, Dantas, has been something like a boy scout most of the time, and while that could easily be a source of nuisance for some of the characters with the most friction, in a way Dantas has become the most endeared in the group, this post showing some of the character that's earned that opinion. The adventuring group has just been offered a rewarding task that could lead to a blow against a vague nemesis called The Emissary they've had to contend with throughout the first chapter.

Reason for nomination: The players in this campaign have too many posts that have been amazing to read, and built such a vibrant and living world that I want to try and reward them more often with recognition of their hard work. Nasrith as a player is capable of role playing many types of characters, and while it would be very easy for Dantas to come off as overly naive or ignorant, Nasrith has accomplished the harder route of maintaining the character’s informed innocence, serving as a moral compass for the group, that surprisingly even the most neutral of his comrades have taken to with genuine kindness and consideration. While the group may have strong personalities that lend themselves to a leadership role, Dantas has consistently been a reliable backbone for the whole group, as exemplified in this post.

Old Sep 29th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29974
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Nominee: GeoAvanti

Game: Forsaken Plane: The Plane of Elder Evils

GM: Xian

Link to the post.

Context: The party is in house infested with a malevolent force of some kind and it has been constantly assaulting the character's physically and mentally in an attempt to break them and ultimately possess them. In this instance, the party just narrowly escapes being drown in a river of blood that gushed forward from the bowels of the house and had swept away yet another member of their party (NPC). Geo's character Alexis existing dark impulses and desensitized nature making him more susceptible to the evil in the house and he has been touched already and his mind nearly taken moments earlier. Yet through this post and the one previous to it with two simple acts, not only defies the evil in the house but also helps stave off its dark effects on his embattled companions. The first was the offering of a reconstituted bacon sandwich in simple gesture of friendship. In this post it is the offer to join in a dance... yes a dance in the middle of the house that has apparently to this point done its best to kill them.

Reason for nomination: GeoAvanti is known for his excellence in writing and in characterization in all the games I know that he is in. Alexis is no different. From his unique speech pattern to his odd mannerism to the articulation of the character's less normal outlook on life, Geo has made it enjoyable to read and he has been one of the pillars of this current group. What makes it even better is the many opportunities he offers in this post and in all others in my game for the other players to interact. Many times this interaction is as golden as anything that I could ever write or put forward as a DM. Kudos!

Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 01:18 AM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Nominee: ekidnu
Game: Carrion Crown
DM: Sassafrass hole
Link: Here
Reason: We've recently brought Chapter III of Carrion Crown to near enough a close, and Part I of the 6-part AP with it. Part of that was revealing that, all this time, one of our players has been a Mermaid this whole time. A mermaid on dry land, you say? Well, here's how that works: Mara is mutated, mutilated, and a diva, in the literal sense less than personality-wise. Feeling deeply ashamed and that people will reject her, she hides her mutation but does so from the spotlight of being an up-and-coming performer fulfilling the will of a man who did not reject her when he discovered what she was. In this post, after a gorgeous Natural 1 from another player, he has fallen into the water of the flooded oubliette. Mara, dedicated to her friends, elects to not abandon him but reveal who she is and save him. (he ultimately has no idea, ironically enough, but everyone else does) ekidnu kills it with the reveal, which we've worked on for ages.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Oct 3rd, 2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Watching, always watching
Good People  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22759
Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos
Nominations are now closed.
Closed Thread