RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > PotM & PotY
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Ancient Gamer.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39282
dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth
January Post of the Month Nomination Thread

This is it, the place to post your nominations for the best post on RPG Crossing for January 2017.

Please review the rules for the competition and post your nominations accordingly.

Ineligible MembersThe following members are ineligible for this month's competition:

Judges
Nimlos
Aethera
dirkoth

Previous 2016 PotM Winners
January - ogamodyna
February - Thorsten
March - Nade
April - Magically Musing
May - Nycro Shears
June - Spankucus
July - goatmeal
August - Melchior
September - Rolzup
October - Stormhammer
November - zany
December - TBD

Now, show us who did the best work in January!

This thread will be closed on or about February 4.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:49 AM
The black-hearted

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9378
Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound
Player: Thorsten
Character: General Moergan Thasbyrne
Game: Way of the Wicked
GM: Quarterpound

Why? Thorsten is a solid poster in every game I have encountered him in and WotW is no exception. The character he created has a sneering attitude you love to hate and every post Thorsten makes in character drips backstory. He really makes the character come alive.

In this post, the General is facing down some ill-prepared prison guards on his way to escape from the prison. I think the work speaks for itself, so here you go:

Link: Here

Old 01-15-2017, 04:05 AM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2958
MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing
Player: Karhald
Character: Gabriel Marais
Game: Arkanun - Between the Heaven and the Hell
GM: Schwarz

Context and Reason: Shortly after the start of the King's Crusade, a variety of people (and the secrets that they keep) meet in London to celebrate King Richard the Lionheart's ambitions and wish his success. Most of these assembled personages are heretics of some sort or another, and none of them are who they seem to be. All of them are struggling to maintain their chosen mask. One such man, Gabriel Marais, finds that he's had a bit too much to drink at the event, and finds himself sadly sentimental, remembering the arrest and death of an innocent man that he feels he could have saved... At the cost of his own life. Struggling to balance polite conversation with existential fear, grief and drink-induced melancholy, Karhald expresses his character very well with striking contrast.

Link to original post

“This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.”
–John Steinbeck

Last edited by MagicallyMusing; 01-15-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 429
SiroVai SiroVai SiroVai SiroVai SiroVai
Player: Flapdoodle
Character: Ulath Hirkshir
Game: Lost mine of Phandelver
GM: Me

Reason for nomination:

I recommend you read reply #49 before the nominated post (#51) to give it its proper context.

At this stage in the campaign the party have successfully defeated a goblin ambush on the Triboar Trail. They've captured one of their goblin ambushers who goes by the name of 'Fet'. Ulath attempted to bind Fet's hands, but made a hash of the roll and so I like any good DM would, took full advantage of his failure. Becoming tired of the group's interrogation and seeing his chance, Fet the Goblin makes a break for it, slipping free of his bonds. However, Ulath rolled high on a dexterity check and managed to catch Fet's arm before he could run. Fet didn't like this and so bit down on the hand.

Later on in the campaign we've discovered that Ulath's hand has become infected and he's contracted the deadly disease Brain Rot. Thus Fet's revenge is realised.

I chose to nominate this post due to the character's comedic reaction to the event and their frustration at not having killed the goblin when they had the chance. I particularly lol'd at the line, "We should kill him then go kill his friends."

Link to post.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old 01-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Dice roller is rigged.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2099
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep
Player: Morathor
Character: Fiera Evenshine
Game: Escape from Barovia - Curse of Strahd
GM: Skep

Context/Reason: To start my Curse of Strahd campaign, I included the characters in a wagon train that had been travelling for a week. Then I asked the players to introduce their characters by responding to a randomly-chosen prompt designed to tease out some aspect of the character's history or personality; this would be representative of stories being told around a bonfire at night, while the wagons were circled. I knew Fiera had an injury that made it difficult for her to talk, but I didn't quite understand how extensive it was (turns out she can only manage a few words at a time); but Morathor responded brilliantly to the prompt – the most beautiful thing Fiera had ever laid eyes on – by examining how Fiera sees the world, and how her crude-but-effective drawings reflect her vision.

Link to original post,

Old 01-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Rules Enforcer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16936
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Nominated: Sassafrass
Character: Several NPCs
Game: Carrion Crown
GM: Sassafrass

Why? When his players decide to split the party and go four (4!) different ways at once Sassafrass does not cut corners and railroad people along to get them back together again. Instead, he goes the full distance and then some, in an effort to keep every player on every path entertained, while simultaneously feeding everyone bits and pieces of the overall plot at once. It is an amazing read, made even more so by the fact that this is only one of (currently) seven GM posts of equal or longer length from the point where the party entered the city of Lepidstadt and up until now. That is dedication towards your players.

Also; introducing H.P. Lovecraft as Lepidstadt University's Dr. Crowl. Epic.

Link: Here

Father of a proud baby boy. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.

Last edited by Thorsten; 01-24-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3163
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Nominated: Still Pond
Character: Raxavier Hoarfrost and Fothrostili
Game: Descent, A Dragon's Tale
DM: Savoylen

Why? The game has been running for almost a year and a half, and is one of the most consistent, high quality games I have ever been part of - here or IRL. The party consists of half-a-dozen adolescents who as young children were taken from their homes to be raised and isolated under a mountain as a potential partner, or 'Bonded' to a dragon. Now all of the infrastructure that is meant to finish their training - and seemingly all of the infrastructure in the world outside the mountain - has fallen apart and they're struggling to survive and reconcile the often shy, insecure children with the proud, forceful dragons they share their minds with. When one of the other players dropped out, their characters died, and while the party buried them and mourned, Raxavier and his white dragon Fothrostili stole the only piece of their hoard - a large ruby that the dragon had been born with. Now, after being separated from their children and finding a vast trove of ancient treasure that belonged to previous generations of bonded dragons, the dragons have been taken over by their basic instincts - the desire to claim and protect treasure, even from each other. In an effort to snap the dragons out of it, Rax revealed the betrayal. One of the dragons - a Bronze wyrmling - was incensed at the betrayal and demanded that Rax and Fothrostili leave the gem there, among the hoards of all the other bonded dragons. I think the interplay between the two characters in this post is great, and Rax's remorse is really poignant.

Link I recommend reading at least the two posts before this one as well, for context. The coloured font indicates a dragon is speaking.

Last edited by Ratpigeon; 01-26-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Alleged Moderator

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25244
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Nominations for January are now [belatedly] closed.
Closed Thread