RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying
twitter google facebook

Notices

View Poll Results: Which game system will you apply to in Outplay 2017?
13th Age
1 0.71%
Call of Cthulhu
3 2.13%
Cypher/Numenera
4 2.84%
D&D 3.5e
6 4.26%
D&D 4e
4 2.84%
D&D 5e
69 48.94%
Fate
4 2.84%
GURPS
1 0.71%
Mutants & Masterminds
10 7.09%
Pathfinder
31 21.99%
Shadowrun
5 3.55%
Star Wars
0 0%
World of Darkness
3 2.13%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Mother of Discord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26207
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
We need your help to pick Outplay game systems!

It's that time of year again!

When the sun is warm, and the grass is beginning to turn green, a young gamer's thoughts turn to... showing everyone just how awesome of a player they are. What did you think we were going to say?

That's right, Outplay 2017 is right around the corner and we need to know what systems you want us to play in! Would you apply if there was a Pathfinder division? Are you 5e all the way? Would you prefer to play 4e, or Mutants and Masterminds, or GURPS, or Basic DnD?

Vote here, in this thread, through May 10th, for what systems you'd like to see in this Year's Outplay - the applications for which will open on June 12th, by the way. (We'll spend May trying to find GMs for the odd systems we weren't expecting to run.) Keep in mind, if we can't come up with a game master and three judges, we can't run a niche system bracket. Sorry, but volunteers are sometimes hard to come by. Applications will be in June, with a two week window to submit your application and character before the judges have two weeks themselves to deliberate. Outplay in-game posting will happen in July and August.

Mark your calendars, this year is going to be a good one!

If you would like to see a system being run this year that you don't see in the poll above, or we've left out a clarifier (like Shadowrun 4e vs 5e), please post it as a reply to this thread - you're not limited by the options I posted here, these were just the most likely ones that we came up with based on current Games Seeking forum advertisements and last year's poll.

Also, as each player can only compete in one bracket, please only vote for your favorite bracket! This doesn't restrict you to which brackets you can apply for in June, but it will give us a more accurate idea of how many people are interested in the different systems.

For your rule of thumb: eight applications for a system bracket means we will try to make it happen. Anything less than seven means that the bracket will not move forward.

New to Outplay?
Outplay is an annual player-focused competition that pits groups of players in a single-elimination-style tournament together against common sorts of challenges a player might face.

Round 0 works a little differently, and tackles the most important challenges a player might face: creating an interesting character and showing him in action - this year, with a special twist . Just like last year, we will be making round zero anonymous, so don't worry that your name doesn't have the same pizzazz as some of the site dinosaurs. You'll be judged based on how awesome your character is.

In each of the following rounds, the players work together in a party of four to overcome the challenges the GMs put forward to face you - there are normally four rounds (in a predetermined yet secret-until-the-competition-starts-order): a combat challenge, a problem-solving challenge, and a social challenge. The final round will be a special challenge, where characters from all systems will be able to compete simultaneously.

Last edited by Aethera; 04-20-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 909
DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker
I volunteer to run -- I have helped run the major RPG gaming event at several GenCons when they were still in Wisconsin and I am currently running on here ToC and MnM. Further I have played/ran many of the systems you have listed. To be specific of those that you have posted CoC (& ToC which I think is a bit more true to the genre), D&D 3.5E, 4E, 5E, Pathfinder, Mutants & Masterminds, Shadow Run, GURPS, and World of Darkness. As well as numerous systems that you have not mentioned.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 92
UFO
I voted for CoC (ToC is my favorite of the two). Nothing wrong with any mentioned, but I would like to see something different this year.

Last year was: 13th, 3.5e, 5e and Pathfinder - This year it looks like 5e and Pathfinder, maybe something else will sneak in.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Mother of Discord

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
It's been 24 hours since I posted the poll... there's plenty of time for other things to reach eligible status.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Note I did not vote persae since I am not looking to play and so voting to me did make much sense. I look forward to seeing how things turn out though.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Mother of Discord

Tools
User Statistics
I've passed your name on to the group of people organizing the game, DeJoker. I'm not in charge, just part of a team (which has done huge amounts of work in my absence) so I can't say one way or the other whether your offer will be accepted or not, or if it will depend on which games need GMs... and so forth. I expect no final decisions will be made until after May 10th, when this poll will close and we'll need to finalize the list of GMs and judges. Even if we already have the GMs lined up, we are often short judges, so if you're open to that also, there may be a wider range of spots you could fill.

And thanks for not voting, it helps keep the results from getting skewed.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah I am open to being a judge as well
Old 04-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Bhaal Spawn

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 809
Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok Seravok
So I'm completely new to this challenge, even fairly ishnew to RPGX and PbP gaming. I've voted for 5e, since I'm mostly familiar with it above the others. I've played once in GURPS, but not enough for me to warrant a vote.

Looking forward to this!
NPSG Grad: #810
DM: Curse of Strahd
Old 04-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2883
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
I'd love to see an One Roll Engine; Like Monsters and Other Childish Things, Reign, Godlike or Dirty World. I guess it depends on what would be best for the game.O.R.E. option up there but I don't know what would be appropriate for the adventure. I'd be happy to volunteer for something if help is needed. If we can't get any O.R.E. games I guess I'd be most likely to apply for a Fate game in the absence of any other information. Haven't voted yet though.

I'm back, attempting to catch up.

Last edited by Cereal Nommer; 04-21-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Mother of Discord

Tools
User Statistics
Cereal, we're unlikely to get the eight required entries for niche systems without serious pushing from someone. It's hard enough getting people to play non-D&D, let alone things more different still. I felt very pleased to get 13th Age in the running last year (our champion ended up being from that system, too) but it's basically trimmed down D&D. (The requirements for a bracket to run are eight participants, plus a GM and judges.) We've had Shadowrun in the past. Last year we tried to run World of Darkness (non-d20) and despite getting eight votes in the poll, only ended up with about six entries, so it didn't run. I'm happy to consider your system as a write-in, but I don't want to give you any unfair hope that something will come of it.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2883
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
Yeah, I figured it would be tricky to get player for it. It seems like the initiative and advancement would be a better fit for PbP than D&D.
I had a hard enough time getting a Fate group together though. I'm surprised how much D&D 5e is on this site, though I guess it's pretty popular.

I'll probably just put in my vote for Fate then.

I'm back, attempting to catch up.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Dinoczar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21563
Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup
I'm honestly surprised, even this early in the voting, to see that 5e is doing better than Pathfinder. Pleased, but surprised.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:45 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22751
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
The dominance of 5e so far is pretty interesting. I guess it's about time the dice roller did 5e crits correctly! *embarrassed*
Old 04-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 92
UFO
M&M is gaining some steam.

Maybe next year we can try Chronicles of Darkness or even God Machine (rules are free) humans only in a city filled with supernaturals.

5e is killing it! I wonder if it has to do with new players and how easy 5e is to learn?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Actually I perused 5E recently and found that it was not a whole lot different than the basic 3.5 or later guidelines. It did finally do something right and got rid of the fire and forget magic system that has always been something I thought was thematically wrong and they did not change it much differently than I did way back in AD&D 2E just took them a bit lot longer.

Last edited by DeJoker; 04-24-2017 at 01:03 PM.