RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > Desert of Desolation series
twitter google facebook
1 9 1 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:50 AM
fromthe1980s's Avatar
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2019
RPXP: 802
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Posts: 1,083
Desert of Desolation game

Uh oh!

Running from the dragons, the party finds the nearest shelter in a large cave. Any who would investigate the cave's rear will find that this chamber is large and deep, with a crack in the roof near the back and a twisting passageway leading deeper into the mountain. There is detritus strewn about the floor, including some rather large, gnawed bones. The mouth of the twisting passageway emits a very rank odor. Not long after the PCs have arrived fleeing the dragons, you hear a roar from just outside the cave, as the dragons determine that intruders have entered their lair.


Now what?

The passageway in the rear of the cave is narrow and twisting, not really large enough to swing a weapon in. It is ripe with a very rank odor. It rises deeper into the mountain. On the bright side, it is clearly too small for dragons to enter, so it offers an apparent escape route.


oocFeel free to interact with each other, introducing "yourself" to the others sharing this cave with you. Then describe your actions. I would like detailed and interesting posts; in each post describe what your character is 1. thinking, 2. doing, and 3. saying (if anything). This is a fun part of the game.

Please edit to clean up when you notice a mistake. This is all for fun, so I won't after you like your third grade grammar teacher. :-)


__________________
DM for Desert of Desolation, 1e to 5e conversion | Vrock, Aasimar Sorcerer in Mists of Barovia: Curse of Strahd | No oaths, but if I start something I will see it through.

Last edited by fromthe1980s; 07-19-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Andor's Avatar
Andor Andor is offline
Duke of Chanwood
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-11-2019
RPXP: 1117
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Posts: 983
Luinil
 

Luinil glanced quickly at the entrance to the cave, bringing his bow up, arrow knocked and ready. Turning his back to the passageway, he kept his bow trained on the larger entrance, yelling to the others, "Get deeper inside! I'll keep them from breathing at us!" This cave will act as a funnel if even one of those dragons spews its foul breath inside, he thought grimly to himself.

Preparing to loose his arrow at the first scaled snout that stuck itself into the entrance, he backed slowly toward the passageway, giving everyone else time to get in while he covered them. Bowstring stretched taut, feathered fletching touching his ear, he waited tensely, whispering words of magic as his senses focused on the closest dragon...


OOCI'll cast Hunter's Mark

1st-level divination

Casting Time: 1 bonus action

Range: 90 feet

Components: V

Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack, and you have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find it. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.
Hunter's Mark on the closest dragon.
__________________

Derya Blodwell - Ironborn, A Game of Thrones
Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Garceau Cho Terr - Golden Company

Last edited by Andor; 07-19-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2017, 04:39 PM
GMAnjis GMAnjis is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-16-2019
RPXP: 647
GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis
Posts: 1,090
Barfik
left-aligned image
"Man, they sure were in a pickle now." thought Barfik to himself, "this was supposed to be a routine job and they had screwed it up royally." Barfik had not been traveling with this group for long, in fact, he barely knew any of the group at all. They all seemed friendly enough and there were a couple he would like to get to know better maybe even swap stories from before they were all working together. "huuhhhhh" sighs Barfik, "now is not the time for wishful thinking, they had a problem to deal with"

Turning to the rest of the group, "Ya the elf is right we need to get out of this situation and fast. let's all move back towards that tunnel in the back. I am sure that it leads somewhere that does not have dragons." Pulling out his Thunder Cannon he takes to the air flying up and back 25 feet so that he is closer to the back of the cave. He takes a closer look at the tunnel Stone Cunning History Check
Dice Roll:
1d20+8 (1)+8 Total = 9
studying it for signs of being natural or manufactured.


Actions & Rolls
 


Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2017, 12:43 AM
Jrod's Avatar
Jrod Jrod is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-16-2019
RPXP: 489
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Posts: 1,497
Leonan - Eldritch Knight 4 / Paladin 1 | AC: 19 | HP: 44/44 | Status: Normal
Fighting Style: Defense +1 AC | Second Wind | Divine Sense | Lay on Hands | Action Surge
| Weapon Bond: Long Sword | Weapon Bond: Shield | Feat: War caster


Leonan follows Luinil's directive and moves to the back of the cave. He watches as the Dwarf raises into the air with astonishment, 'this was no average Dwarf' he thought to himself.

"Quickly now, We are no match for those Dragons. Kesh can you lead us further into the cave? I believe you are best suited. I will follow you, then the others behind me

Leonan draws his sword in a swift, familiar motion and awaits the others at the cave entrance. As he un sheaths his sword you can very vaguely make out a very light red, almost copper gleam emit from the blade and hilt. The quality looked to be that of perfection. As the sword is drawn it gives off a gentle hum type noise as if it was singing to the hand who wields it. Leonan then looks around for anything that might help in the current situation.

 


 


 

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-16-2019
RPXP: 316
Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm
Posts: 551
IC
Wadjet
right-aligned image


Wadjet looked around at the other people he was very likely going to be dying next to. An elf with a bow, a dwarf with a gun, a human with what was evidently a magic sword, another human bearing the sigil of a god, and another dwarf who hadn't revealed his talents but looked like an especially dangerous customer. To his eye, all of them looked trained in some form of magic, but dragons were another tier of power entirely.

"Ordinarily, I have nothing but confidence in my own abilities, but I don't think I'm a match for these dragons," said the Genasi, clicking his heels together and rising into the air with a jet of fire from his enchanted boots. With one hand, he drew a wand from inside his waistcoat, pointing it to the far entrance as he retreated towards the tunnel, and with the other he snapped his fingers, summoning dancing flames from within his skin that twisted and warped themselves until they took the shape of fiery plate armor. "...it is a damn good thing these aren't red dragons," he muttered to himself. "Fire is pretty much my entire shtick."


OOC
 


 

Last edited by Captain Sarcasm; 07-20-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Maths!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Kaneda Shepard's Avatar
Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-13-2018
RPXP: 959
Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard
Posts: 2,165
Kesh ran into the tunnel with the others and took a steady breath, that was a close one, either one of those dragons could be making a move to cook us in here, we need to move fast. He thought as he took out a lantern from his pack and lit it his fire making kit. He then pointed the lantern down where they were and began to look around. He then looked at the others and spoke in a gruff low toned voice.

"Your right, this is the only way and I agree, let me in front so I can get a good look at what we are dealing with here, be ready, we still don't know what else might be lurking in these tunnels. I'm already pretty surprised no one has panicked and ran off yet, that's a good sign that I am with seasoned people. We must move quickly but cautiously, I don't want my last moments to be cooked like a chicken." He said as he made his way forwards.

 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 AM
voodoozombie's Avatar
voodoozombie voodoozombie is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2019
RPXP: 1029
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Posts: 2,203



 


From somewhere further back in the cave a quite female voice comes out of the darkness. "If we continue down the narrow passage that's behind me I believe the dragon's won't be able to follow us."

The voice quickly adds "And I would be very grateful if you didn't start swinging your weapons at me. I too wish to get out of here in one piece."

Last edited by voodoozombie; 07-21-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Stormhammer's Avatar
Stormhammer Stormhammer is offline
Half-Orc Ranger
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-14-2019
RPXP: 5276
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
Posts: 3,624
Jaina
right-aligned image
Jaina Urthadar stood illuminated by the dim light of the cave. It accented the armor and crimson robes of the war priest. She looked like a bloodthirsty warrior bathed in the muted ambiance of the cave. Her green eyes were focused on the entrance of the cave where the dragons prowled and stalked. "Yes, retreat is the most tactical response in this situation." She began to make her way toward the passageway that led deeper into the mountain.
__________________
Slower than normal posting rates are due to newborn baby girl at home!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2017, 11:28 AM
fromthe1980s's Avatar
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2019
RPXP: 802
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Posts: 1,083
Retreat!

The bravery of the new acquaintances is never in doubt as they draw weapons and assume defensive positions while backing away from certain death lurking just outside the cave mouth. The mummy Neferankhseshat gets some very odd looks and scrutiny until she assures the rest of the group that she is just as lost as they and offers no danger to them. Because they are all thinking similar thoughts to Luinil, that green dragon breath will travel a long, long way in the narrow escape passage, they quickly put some distance between themselves and the dragons. Just as he goes beyond the first bend, Garfik glances back and notices two green heads entering the mouth of the cave. It hurts the heart of the trained warriors like Leonan to have to back down from any enemy, regardless of the danger. But Jaina's and Wadjet's plain statements to the effect that "discretion is the better part of valor" carries the day.

You travel about 200 feet down this narrow passageway through the pitch black and stumble into rocks and muddy puddles on the cave floor while water drips from the roof above. This makes for a very messy, short trek. Kesh, a dwarf, trudges along unafraid in such environment, noting that the passage is a natural part of the earth, not made by hands and likely just a weak line in the rock that cracked over generations of time. While you might like to keep a little distance between you and the others, who are of unknown caliber to you, you really have no choice but to stick close to each other all the way through. You hear in the distance the activities of the green dragons as they tear rocks and smash into walls and around the floor of the cavern seeking the adventurers. They discover your escape into the narrow passage and you hear as they begin to pile rock and scree into the passageway, effectively sealing off that route. From the magnitude and duration of the crashing sounds emanating from that end of the passageway, you surmise that even dwarves, fully equipped with picks, would take a long time to dig through and then... dragons.

At the other end of the passageway you emerge into a chamber. Those with darkvision can see less than halfway across the cavern, but you feel some relief that you have temporarily gone beyond the reach of dragon breath. The cave is unlit, but after a bit of exploration and some light on the subject, you determine that this cave is smaller than the outer chamber. It is empty, sort of. Strewn everywhere on the floor are rags of cloth, bits of leather, saddles, and so forth. The mingled bones of a horse and a very large bird lie gnawed near one foul pallet. Because the passage is too narrow for dragons, you begin to get the feeling that the inhabitants of this cave must be a new threat. Glancing around, you perceive no exit from the cavern. A thought creeps unbidden into your minds: "Have we now been sealed into our tomb?"


OOCWhat would you like to do now?
__________________
DM for Desert of Desolation, 1e to 5e conversion | Vrock, Aasimar Sorcerer in Mists of Barovia: Curse of Strahd | No oaths, but if I start something I will see it through.

Last edited by fromthe1980s; 07-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-16-2019
RPXP: 316
Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm
Posts: 551
IC
Wadjet
right-aligned image


Feeling around on the ground, Wadjet came up with a small stone, about the size of his hand. As he touched it, it began to glow red, then white, the light expanding enough to illuminate a good part of the cave and cast away the darkness.

"Well, on the plus side, no more dragons," he said, looking at the mismatched array of bones that lay strewn over the floor like the remains of a night spent alone with a bottle of liquor and a bucket of chicken wings. He looked up, then, casting his eyes about the unbroken stone wall of the cave, showing no apparent entrance but the way they came in. "It looks like something makes its home in here... whatever it is must have some way out that isn't directly through the dragon's lair."

He set the glowing rock down and knelt down by the bones and the debris,
Dice Investigation Check:
1d20+7 (11)+7 Total = 18
carefully examining the junk strewn across the floor for any sign of its inhabitants. "Oh, by the way, my name is Wadjet," he called back, over his shoulder. "No last name, just Wadjet. I'm a conjuration specialist and part-time liquor distributor. Seems we might be acquainted for a time."


OOC
 


 

Last edited by Captain Sarcasm; 07-22-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Jrod's Avatar
Jrod Jrod is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-16-2019
RPXP: 489
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Posts: 1,497
Leonan - Eldritch Knight 4 / Paladin 1 | AC: 19 | HP: 44/44 | Status: Normal
Fighting Style: Defense +1 AC | Second Wind | Divine Sense | Lay on Hands | Action Surge
| Weapon Bond: Long Sword | Weapon Bond: Shield | Feat: War caster


"Indeed, seems we have escaped the Dragons, for now" Leonan Turns to face Wadjet. "Pleased to meet you sir, I am Leonan Vurnace, and I believe you may be correct about this being some creature homestead" Leo then turns to the rear of the company where Luinil had just made his way from the corridor. "Luinil can you help us here" Leo points his sword towards the bones of the horse and bird. "Although not my field of expertise, but in my general experience, usually cave dwelling beasts are not friendly. Everyone on the look out"

"If we are sealed from the outside in, we must find a way from the inside out" Leo says, quizzically looking around the now lit room. Knowing Dwarfs held the highest chance of knowing anything of stone work, Leo speaks to Barfik and Kesh "My Friends, can you aid us in this attempt. Do these walls hide an exit?"

Leo then gets closer to the saddle and remains of the horse. trying to
Dice Investigate:
1D20+2 (4)+2 Total = 6
Identify any clues related to what or who owned the property.


 

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-22-2017, 06:07 PM
Stormhammer's Avatar
Stormhammer Stormhammer is offline
Half-Orc Ranger
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-14-2019
RPXP: 5276
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
Posts: 3,624
Jaina
right-aligned image
Jaina approached the wizard and the knight. "My name is Jaina Urthadar. I came from my home in the Dalelands several months ago. I have spent most of my life serving the Lord of Battles." Jaina responded to Leonan with confidence. Her voice exemplified might and lust for battle. "If we are beset by adversaries, Tempus will surely guide our weapons in their destruction." Jaina began to pray over her warhammer as she caressed the weapon with a gauntleted hand.

 
__________________
Slower than normal posting rates are due to newborn baby girl at home!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Kaneda Shepard's Avatar
Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-13-2018
RPXP: 959
Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard
Posts: 2,165
Kesh stuck to the shadows as best he could, from what he learned on in his early years is that places like this tend to have something waiting in a dark corner somewhere nearby and this was its feeding grounds. He looked at the others and felt that he was in with good company, even if one of them was a mummy. If it started to speak in tongues would be when he got worried about it.

"The name is Kesh Farelden, I am an explorer of sorts, I used to be a thief and burglar, but changed my ways to becoming a treasure hunter." He said to the group that stood behind him. He bent down and felt the bones to see if they were fresh or had been there for a long time.
 


As the others talk he takes a survey of the area to see if there are any other passages, traps or secrets that could not be seen in the light of Wadjet but to do it quietly.

 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:02 AM
voodoozombie's Avatar
voodoozombie voodoozombie is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2019
RPXP: 1029
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Posts: 2,203



 


Neferankhseshat looks around at the group and says in a happy sounding voice. "My name is Neferankhseshat. Scribe, scholar and Archaeologist. I'm also the property of the University of Al-Bidir Shallah located in Huzuz the City of Delights, in the land of Zakhara also know as the Land of Fate.

She holds up her necklace that has the emblem of the University on it. "I also weld the power of nature and can change into animals if I must."

Neferankhseshat pats the scimitar that is hanging down the side of her waist. "Don't worry about being surprised. My sword will let us know if something is close to us."

She looks at the party again. "So....what brings you here?"

As she speaks Neferankhseshat notices a couple of people looking around at the ground. "Is there something that I help you with?"

Last edited by voodoozombie; 07-24-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 AM
fromthe1980s's Avatar
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2019
RPXP: 802
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Posts: 1,083
 



After introducing himself, Kesh begins scouting the cavern, so quietly that the party loses track of him as he flits from corner to corner. Apparently this cave had been home in the past couple of weeks to other residents besides dragons. Kesh finds evidence of crude bedding, places set aside for eating, and a latrine in one corner. He is not sure of the nature of the creatures; however, they were clearly larger than humans, much larger.

Although no enemies present themselves, Jaina is taking no chances. She casts a spell in preparation for battle. Neferankhseshat puts the party to ease with her friendly banter and she may prove a worthwhile companion a few of them think to themselves.

Leonan examines the scattered bones and equipment, but doesn't discern much from this mess due to the sickening aroma from the horse and bird carcasses. Wadjet looms over his shoulder and, as he stoops to take a look, notices amid the detritus, in one horse's saddle bag, a bone scroll case. There is also a small, oblong box. The box contains 5 gold cubes, each marked with a different magical symbol. Whenever Wadjet finds the items in the saddlebag, the party gathers around.

The scroll is a letter to Elminster the Sage, signed by his friend Aman Al-Raqib. It mentions that, at long last, his researches into the past have unraveled the mystery of Martek, who died 10 centuries or more ago. It says that his prophecy has merit, and, if the land is to be spared the devastation that awaits it, a party of heroes needs to set out very soon to recover his Sphere of Power. He is specific that those who come must be brave, for the dangers are enormous and numerous, likely to bring death to any but the most cautious. Eloquently Al-Raqib begs Elminster to send a group of brave souls to Bralizzar, that he (Al-Raqib) may beg them to undertake the quest. There is not much time for delay, for the Evil One will break his bonds very soon. The letter concludes by stating that the box contains a teleportation device of Al-Raqib's making. The scroll refers to instructions for using the device that have apparently been lost, smashed in the detritus, or eaten by the unknown former residents.

The bearer of the scroll-message is nowhere to be found, although what's left of more than one horse is apparently present, so maybe the messenger from Al-Raqib to Elminster and his companions were waylaid before completing his errand.

oocYour turns. My goal is to post on Sat/Sun again, although if everyone posts by Friday I can probably post then.
My schedule is pretty flexible now but will get more constrained in late August, so this is a good time to make some progress in our adventure.
__________________
DM for Desert of Desolation, 1e to 5e conversion | Vrock, Aasimar Sorcerer in Mists of Barovia: Curse of Strahd | No oaths, but if I start something I will see it through.

Last edited by fromthe1980s; 07-25-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB