Game Thread Round 2 - D&D 5e - jbear, Vallesh, Wynamoinen, oztk - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2017 > Archive
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23900
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Round 2 - D&D 5e - jbear, Vallesh, Wynamoinen, oztk

It was a mad dash by two separate groups of explorers. One had been sent to intersect the island, the other to travel along the coast away from the mountain. Both had been warned that monsters had attacked the Captian and crewmen who had remained behind to setup a base camp. As the eight adventures neared the cost, Barkley took the lead of one group and was nearest the beach at the same time that Hannibal, Syarafina and Gralzok pulled ahead of the dwarf companion they had initially set out with. As they neared the beach, they could see that they were perhaps too late. Nobody was left. For better or worse, there were no corpses either. Once they were close enough to see the sand, it was obvious that a fight had ensued here, as footprints were smattered every direction and pools of blood still soaked the sand. In the direction towards the mountain, on the beach, a few large ant like creatures were spotted, looking like they were carrying away the last of the sailors away. Before they could rush to aid those captured, however, the air was split with the buzzing sound of wings as some winged variant of the ants flew towards the adventurers, and from the sand dug up another dozen.

More buzzing was heard from behind, and out of the corner of their eyes, the Adventurers could see that the rest of their exploring companions; Adrik, Randal, Rain and Mary were being carried off by more of the flying ants. There would be no reinforcements. If they were to survive or have any chance of rescuing those who had been paralyzed and carried off, the adventurers would have to find a way to defeat the monsters that the Guardians of the Island had warned them about.

OODMWelcome and congratulations on making it to Round 2, the Combat Round!

Please check the battle map and monster statistics listed bellow. In your Round 0 post, we can assume that you had a chance to perform one non-combat oriented action (e.g. cast a protective spell, drink a potion) or bonus action, but not both.

In addition to this, please roll initiative. If you roll a 13 or better, you may also take a normal combat round of actions before the Ants have a chance to act.

Again, for the sanity of your DM, I would request that you place all mechanics in an OOC Fieldset at the end of your post.

Cast of Characters
jbear's Hannibal
Vallesh's Gralzok
Wynamoinen's Syarafina
oztk's Barkley the Butler

Battle Map and Information

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore fight_R0.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	73832  

Last edited by Bhelogan; 07-23-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23785
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Be the grasshopper, my little antAt first there is vaulting and ducking and dashing through the underbrush. The others went another way, crashing (and burning? what is that crackling sound?) through their own path. As Princess Syarafina rushes to the ship's rescue, a blade silently appears in the her hand. Tied cleverly to her forearm within her flowing sleeves, no one noticed its presence. Nor do they now see it drawn. The Hidden Blade. She grips it in reverse, keeping it tight and quiet by her side.

The final descent to the sea becomes too steep, and a worrisome buzzing from behind corrals the group back together. The four of them - Syarafina, Hannibal, Gralzok and Adri --- "Goodness Father Ironwood, you are an inferno! The blessings of the gods are great, indeed!" The four of them converge on the final path to the beach. It is crawling with giant insects.

She surveys the scene. Ants everywhere. No sailors anywhere. No survivors anywhere. Except - from around a bluff, that polite young man from the ship emerges. Sara puts a hand beside her mouth and shouts, "Watch out for their mandibles, kind sir! Worry not, we four have come to defeat them."

The words of her Master ring in her ears. Toil not hard like the ant. You are no peasant. You are no common solider. Wait long, spring sudden, like the grasshopper. Use your wits. Muscles will ache while minds stay sharp. Prepare for trials, but do not seek them out.

One of the teeny-tiny warriors had advised, "They don't like soap!". The Princess rummages through her satchel and produces Part of her diplomat's pack.just such a bar! After all, one must have the proper smells, when one meets strange people, with foreign ways, from parts unknown. She This is my "preparatory" actionrubs the bar along the length of her blade, like a whetstone. It acquires a scent that was described by its vendor as "intriguingly insouciant". Wisps of lilac, bees-balm, and goats-musk waft over to the noses of her companions.

Syarafina extends one leg, bends at the other, and raises her sword over her head in an offensive stance. She extends her left hand forward, Any unarmed attacks I make, I intend to be holding the soap in that hand.brandishing the soap in a kung-fu grip.

Oh, but they're just fuzzy-wuzzies. Who have become, perchance, a bit too wuzzy. Alas, that it must come to this.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 07-24-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14028
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Attack!The bright sun glinting off his bald head, Hannibal surged over the last sandy rise to the beach, waving his cane above his head menacingly. Knobbly knees pumping, beard flapping and ribs heaving, the wrinkly old geezer raced along the sandy path with a towering inferno, a creature of pure fire, gliding effortlessly and obediently beside him. The tragedy of the beach campsite came into view! Pools of blood! Broken bits! No bodies! If Hannibal had been a superstitious man, like his insane goblin companion or his budding princess military commander, he might have jumped to the conclusion that old Zangle-Bags, the necromancer who had woken him from his retirement, snatched his villagers, and caused him to throw his back out, had come back from the grave just to annoy him again! The scene was almost identical. But this time it was no zombie horde snatching bodies! It was a swarm of ants! Really big ants!

Hannibal hated ants! If the wee rabbit-folk had used the word 'ants' and not 'monsters' the grumpy ol' basterd would likely have done a lot more listening and a lot less growling! There was nothing the retired barbarian liked better than to take a kip in the cool shade beneath a tall, leafy tree! But there was nothing worse than waking up with a dozen ants taking a look around your inner ear! Now those cochlea nibbling beggars giant cousins had murdered Sonia! Or kidnapped her! Or murdered her and then kidnapped her! Or kidnapped her to murder her! Helpless to save either of his gals now, there was only one thing left to do: rain down mindless, violent, bloody murder on these big little nippers! It was time to knock in some insect heads and bust up some mandibles.

The princess emerged from the brush beside him. Hannibal gave her a broad grin revealing the broad gap left by his broken front teeth. “Find any soap in the bushes? I didn’t” he explained quickly. I sent the dwarf and the goblin looking that way” he pointed to the left, scowling angrily at scene before him. Syarafina took out a bar of soap, though Hannibal paid this important detail no attention whatsoever (Hannibal actually had no idea what soap was), as the princess called out to one of the crew who was running their way along the beachfront from the east - a well dressed fellow who looked like he was probably the good Captain Grumbly's manservant. "Worry not, we four have come to defeat them" called Syarafina.

Thump!

One of the winged drones swooped down and plucked the labouring dwarven cleric up from the sand as he struggled to catch up to them. “There goes our soap…” Hannibal muttered under his breath, before he called out to the lonesome crewman running their way. "Don't worry! We three have come to beat them!" Hannibal corrected. "Big Red! Not human! Not human! All those ones - not human! Those ones over there - not human! Go! Burn them all!!!" Hannibal roared at his fiery companion. Gramps jabbed his cane in the air towards the 'man servant', while looking up at the elemental meaningfully, trying to make eye contact with what he assumed was ‘Big Red’s’ face. "Him is human. No burning! Now go! Light them ants up like signal fires!" The fire elemental started moving towards Barkley which just happened to be the last direction Hannibal had been pointing. "No!" Hannibal shouted exasperated. "Not that way! There... burn the ants!" Taking a deep breath the wrinkled warrior began to explain again who the elemental should burn and who it should not, wasting valuable seconds before the giant ants closed in on them. Yet though Hannibal seemed largely distracted, his cane was still waggling about menacingly as though it had a mind of its own, a mind hungry to crack skulls at the first opportunity.

Last edited by jbear; 07-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5601
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Tsk, tsk. Skipping the introductions?
left-aligned image
Sprinting back to camp Armor of Agathyswreathed in ice, Barkley tries to put recent events behind him, to seal the fire he’d discovered in his heart in its own icy prison. You are not meant to be free, old boy, not meant to love. Barkley is unaware the sailor-messenger was only paralyzedIt’s only lead to death. Now you have the opportunity to redeem yourself before your floppy-tentacle-eared master. Embrace your servitude. He’d just about sorted himself out when Rain was lifted up into the air, and - "BRRAAAAHHHH" - a beastial scream erupts from Barkley’s chest, and he has to start all over again. Now *really*, Barkley. Yes, yes, your little puss-puss is gone, but these dramatics are quite unbecoming. You’ve fired dishwashers over less. Stiff upper lip and all that. With that, Barkley was once again, to outside eyes, the unflappable professional.

Appraising those just descended from the mountain, Barkley is disappointed: an old man wearing a disturbingly grey undergarment (Laundry is a lost art), a princess dressed for a royal ball (Velvet was last season, my dear), and a diminutive green goblin (Missing eyes are in though, apparently). Turning to take in the foe, he feels relief. Not wasps after all, and I’d hardly call this a swarm. Admirably diligent creatures, ants. It’ll almost be a shame to crush them. ‘Beware the mandibles’ -- soldiery ones first, then.

Returning his attention to the harmless looking trio for the obligatory formal introduction -- "Barkley, late butler of Silverdale, at your service. Who do I have the pleasure of skirmishing alongside, this jolly endless noon?" -- Barkley is taken aback by an enormous flame monster (How’d I miss that? Not so disappointing after all), but even more strongly affected by the princess’s practiced stance and blade conjured from nowhere, which made her, in Barkley's eyes, a ghost of the tabaxi and her jet black sword. Lust and grief threaten to well up again -- Focus, my boy, focus -- but Barkley smothers his returning emotions with a blanket of bonhomie "Impressive form, young princess, but I won’t need any rescuing today -- I’m a passable fencer myself," scratches at them with a waggle of his rapier, distracts himself with witty banter. "I'd be wary of trusting mad munchkins who suggest we cut ourselves into pieces; I suspect your soap will do more good on your companions." Though it won't hurt to keep a close eye out to see if I need to dig out my own...

Finally, he interjects himself into the ancient barbarian’s pleadings with his elemental: "Your caution is much appreciated, old boy, but I'm afraid I must quibble: I'm only half human. Silverdale has been staffed entirely by half-elfs since the reign of Charles IV."

That's the pleasantries done and dusted. On to business! Barkley's face is a blank mask of concentration as he begins circling around the ants toward the rest of his makeshift party. "Chtuggle, aid your humble servant." Barkley winces as he calls the leporine abomination forth into his imagination. "R’lyumsies!" he Hexpoints a hand holding a newt’s eye at a nearby soldier ant, which seems to flicker briefly behind black smoke. "Mgwl’oodle! For Chtuggle!" he says, as a Eldritch Blastbolt of eldritch force shoots from his hand at the flickering ant. A small sly smile comes across his face as he points his finger once more at the ant "Ph’oopsy’nglui! For Rain!", with a second blast following after the first.

Barkley's smile fades momentarily into a grimace, eyelids flickering, before the neutral look returns to his face.

OOC: MechanicsPreparatory action: At the end of Round 1 Barkley cast Armor of Agathys as a 2nd level spell. This gives him 10 temporary hit points, and if he is hit with a melee attack while he has these hit points, the creature damaging him takes 10 cold damage.

Initiative:
Dice Initiative:
1d20+6 (18)+6 Total = 24
(24)

Movement: Barkley moves to square L6, through P6 so as to avoid opportunity attacks from ant A5 on square N8. I’m assuming the fringe of the grass there is not difficult terrain; if it is, Barkley still moves to L6, then up as far as he can.

Bonus action: Cast Hex as a level one spell on warrior ant A5 on square N8, giving disadvantage on dexterity saving throws, and doing an extra 1d6 necrotic damage every time Barkley hurts it.

Action: Cast Eldritch blast, both beams aimed at warrior ant A5 on square N8.
Beam 1: Rolls
Dice Ranged Spell Attack 1:
1d20+7 (10)+7 Total = 17
(17) against AC 15, if successful
Dice Eldritch blast 1:
1d10+4 (10)+4 Total = 14
(14) force damage and
Dice hex 1:
1d6 2
(2) necrotic damage.
Beam 2: Rolls
Dice Ranged Spell Attack 2:
1d20+7 (3)+7 Total = 10
(10) against AC 15, if successful
Dice Eldritch blast 2:
1d10+4 (1)+4 Total = 5
(5) force damage and
Dice hex 2:
1d6 4
(4) necrotic damage.

Contingencies: (If the first blast kills it and I’m allowed, the second Eldritch blast beam will be aimed at warrior ant A6 on square O10)

Reactions: If Barkley is damaged by a creature that survives the 10 damage from his Armor of Agathys, he will respond with casting Hellish Rebuke as a Level 1 spell, dealing 2d10 fire damage on a failed DC15 Dexterity save, and half as much on a successful save.

Last edited by oztk; 07-24-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Adding dice rolls for post initiative action; typos and formatting fussing
Old 07-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Dastardly Dolphin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7974
Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh
Catching the big hummys with short legsGralzok had been keeping a very keen eye on Babooshka as the others chatted with the little hummys then attempted to run around them. He had only spared a brief glance for both Hannibal running into an invisible wall and the newly arrived collapsing hummy. He was worried that if he diverted his attention away from her for even a moment she would attack or vanish like the hag had done once before. Yet his vigilance had all been for naught, as the other tiny ones shouted out warnings about the supposed monsters that had appeared at the beach, then began to vanish. Babooshka gave the last warning as she began running and disappearing from his view, was there even another wink there directed at him. The possible hag was escaping! Gralzok began to rush forward to where the old tiny hummy vanished to but a quick check over his shoulder told him he was all alone. He was not going risk all those tiny ones and the traps she might have weaved into this trick to make him follow all alone. No, he would get the others to turn back around once the beach was dealt with and they would continue their hunt for the hag. With a glob of spit flung to the floor he turned back towards the beach, but quickly whirled back just in case it really was a ruse to stab him in the back. Still nothing, it was time to catch up with the others.

This slight delay of action also meant that he was a little behind the sprinting hummys and the rockbeard as they rushed back towards the beach. Though in this much hated goblinoid form his stride was reduced it seemed the muscle structure meant he could move his legs much faster. His feet pounded on the stone slabs and after about a minute or two he had caught up with Adrik. It seemed the rockbeard was slowing perhaps preparing for battle. Bet the rockbeard stopping ter pray to whatever stupid god he is serving. What a stupid thing. Just kneel here a second while something may come along and cut yer head off. Gruumsh needs none of that pandering, those that serve him know leading by action and causing destruction serves him best. Blood and fire no better praise and fun. Gralzok continues to eat up the distance between him and beach still lagging far behind the surprisingly fleet footed hummies.

Poking the orc’s prideGralzok squints his eye and just makes out the stopped figures of Hannibal and Snozbinder at the edge of the beach. There is a bright red thing, possibly a bonfire, next to the elder warrior which he is shouting something at. He is really wondering why you would shout at a bonfire. Had Hannibal lost his old mind when he ran into the invisible wall perhaps. He shook his head and paid more attention to why they had stopped. His jaw dropped briefly before snapping shut, the muscle on it ridging out on his face.

”I don’t believe that filthy, cheating, hag! First tiny gates to mock my height and now…. now giant ants!” He was shouting this out at the beach, waving his skinny goblin arms in anger as he closed the distance further. ”Ah yes ants are even bigger than you in your goblin form. Your tiny non-orc feet can’t just stamp on them or use your hand to crush them. No, you are more pathetic that an ant. Well hag I still have the spirit of an orc and I will crush these all the same.”

Black tendrils of darkness leak from his eyeless socket seeming to snatch at the light around it. Slowly a battered sword pommel slides out of the darkness exposing a worn red leather handle. Still running at full pelt Gralzok wraps a long fingered green hand around it and pulls. There was no way physically that the sword that followed could have actually been drawn from the socket. For one the crossguard was wider than the eye socket, but ignoring that the sword itself seemed to emanate something darker than its looks would suggest. The blade was long but heavily notched, yet there was not a speck of rust or a crack to be seen upon it. Further inspection seemed to show the notches were as sharp as the rest of the blade’s edge, glinting in the ever-burning sun straight over head. This was a vicious weapon and not something that was just left lying around. The buzzing behind him catches his attention, only to see the rockbeard now airborne. ”See that’s what kneeling to your god gets you rockbear! Ha!” He points the sword and yaps a laugh out.

By now he has reached the beach and sees that the bonfire is in fact a being of fire that Hannibal is shouting at. Well that certainly might be helpful but how does the old hummy even get one of those? His eye narrows, Is he in league with the hag?... No that couldn’t be right he’s a warrior and perhaps he has been granted a boon from his god like I was. As for Snozbinder she at least has a blade out along with a strange pink bar of something, which she was rubbing on the blade and shouting at someone else who was joining us. Poison? Now they’re holding one of those fancy conversations with each other, Lazy orcs who are killed first in raids as punishment for not fighting enoughbaliaokas.These hummies are wasting time! Gralzok shook his angry head. There were things to kill and revenge for this new slight against his former height.

Lead by actions. Be the first into a battle. The first to blood your weapon. That is how you get others to fight and follow you. These were his thoughts as he continued to run towards the beach. The new arrival though overly talkative seems to at least have the right idea and magic flows from him. Gralzok’s empty eye tracks it and smile as overly toothy smile as the ant’s carapace cracks. The beach was taking longer to reach than he judged, his eye must be messing with his depth perception again. He'd figured out fighting with it but longer distances still plagued him with their deceptions. Yet, this was just another fight given to him to over come by Gruumsh's mark. He steps close to the others finally only to have the ants begin to move on them before he can even stab one.

Last edited by Vallesh; 07-24-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
PCs TurnSyarafina had heeded the words of the Guardians, and prepared her blade with the substance that these enemies hated. Soap. She didn't know exactly what kind of effect it would have, but if nothing else, it might make the cleanup afterward a little faster. Clenching the bar in her offhand, it could also be a deterrent to any foul language the overgrown insects might try to employ.

Hannibal gave orders to the fire elemental he had previously summoned to take up a position to help block some of the ants. Being on the beach was perhaps not the most tactical position for a creature made of fire, but the Ants seemed to cower at the heat emanating from the planar being.

The Butler was the fastest to take action, and quickly closed ranks behind the Princess. He cast a hex on the nearest ant. One blast hit. A second flew and also seemed to connect before the thick carapace of the ant sent the force of the spell flying upwards towards the sun. The large insect let out an audible screech to show it was now getting angry.

Gralzok brought up the rear, and prepared his pact weapon. The former Orc would have preferred to be the lead in the endeavor, and have the others follow him. But for the moment, his earlier hesitation had cost him the chance to be that leader. Or, perhaps the short goblin legs he was now cursed with could be to blame for his slightly delayed arrival.

Enemy Turn
As soon as the Adventurers had taken up their positions, the Worker Ants dug back into the ground. They could burrow quickly through the sand, and it was not clear if they were retreating to hide, or had some other tactic in mind.

The flying ants kept their height in the air, but flew directly over head the Adventurers. From their jaws spit down a hot green liquid that splashed and burned as it hit both humanoid and ground below.

The stronger looking warrior ants moved in for direct combat. Most of them reacted to the heat of the Elemental and moved around it, though was was brave enough to dig its mandibles into the flames. The ant found something to bite at, but was burned with a greater wound than it gave. Hannibal swung his quarterstaff at another Ant which rushed him. The wooden staff, like the second blast of energy from Barkley before, bounded off the ant's armor. Two large mandibles then bit into the wrinkly skin on Hannibal's leg. The old warrior could feel the effects of some kind of venom attempt to take hold of his muscles, threatening to paralyze him where he stood.

The others each had an ant rush them as well, two for Gralzok. Perhaps the ants could recognize the true threat? If so, they struggled to hurt the Goblin, who blocked their blows with a combination of shield and sword. Syarafina's martial arts training paid off, keeping her protected. Barkley relied on the magical protective spells that armored his flesh. For the moment, they held and kept him from harm.

Monster's Actions and RollsA1 attack GR
Dice A1 to hit:
1d20+5 (7)+5 Total = 12
(12) Miss!
A2 attack GR
Dice A2 to hit:
1d20+5 (6)+5 Total = 11
(11) Miss!
A3 attack HA
Dice A3 to hit:
1d20+5 (13)+5 Total = 18
(18) Hit for
Dice A3 Damage:
1d8+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
(7) piercing damage - and DC 11 CON save, or be paralized until the start of your next turn
A4 attack FE
Dice A4 to hit:
1d20+5 (19)+5 Total = 24
(24) Hit for
Dice A3 Damage:
1d8+3 (1)+3 Total = 4
(4) piercing damage - no save, FE is immune to Paralized Condition. A4 takes
Dice Fire Damage on A4:
1d10 9
(9) fire damage
A5 attack BB
Dice A5 to hit:
1d20+5 (7)+5 Total = 12
(12) Miss!
A6 attack SY
Dice A6 to hit:
1d20+5 (9)+5 Total = 14
(14) Miss!

Drone Ants: Fly overhead and spit acid on everyone. Take
Dice Acid Damage:
2d6 3, 2 Total = 5
(5) acid damage, DC 11 DEX Save for 1/2

OODM
Everyone may now take their turn!

Notes for Hannibal - Using the squeeze rule to make the Fire Elemental take up less space in an open field seems a bit of a stretch, but we will roll with it. Perhaps its mass takes the shape of a tall pillar.

Notes for Barkley - on Hex: It gives disadvantage to Ability Checks, not Saving Throws. (Common mistake though). Make sure you list Temp HP in a separate pool from your normal HP, rather than adding it to your max. There are cases where the mechanics of how temp HP works will get muddied if you pool them together.

Cast of Characters
jbear's Hannibal
Vallesh's Gralzok
Wynamoinen's Syarafina

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shore fight_R1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	73843  

Last edited by Bhelogan; 07-25-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:54 AM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5601
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Return of Chtuggle
right-aligned image

Barkley's smile fades momentarily into a grimace, eyelids flickering…

...as Chtuggle appears before him, tentacled ears making some unnatural combination of a writhe and a twitch.

"I see you’ve finally found something productive to do instead of cat-napping by the pool and getting your heart broken. But Barkley, dear, do try to make interesting. Warlocks have a reputation for a boring fighting style: stand back and blast, blast, and blast some more. You’re not a butler anymore, melding into the background isn’t a virtue. For the sake of your immortal soul could you do something a bit more Entertaining" and here the ear-tentatacles begun spinning around, suckers pulsating, as space and time itself bent around the a-bunny-nation’s word "than just pointing your finger and shouting some magic mumbo-jumbo? Make it good and I may even forgive your little transgression there -- invoking *my* powers with the name of that slinky little predator of yours..." and Chtuggle seemed to shudder as...

...the neutral look returns to Barkley’s face.
Putting on a showBarkley’s eyes open just in time to nimbly step back from a pair of pinching mandibles, duck under the bulk of a spray of acid, which sent a hiss of melting ice into the air inches above his fine white shirt. "Stain protection! Must remember that." Heeding his patron’s words, he responded by leaping high into the air, thumb, index finger, and pinky of his empty hand stretched up into the air, pointing toward a drone, and (So vulgar) yelling "YOU GET A FIRE..." as the flying bug was Hellish Rebukeengulfed in a burst of flame, like a fireworks show. He spun as he leapt, his rapier tracing an arc from the ant he’d already hurt to the one who’d tried to bite the princess, Moving Hexas a black cloud flew out of the first ant and into the second, following the parabola of his blade’s swing.

As Barkley lands his Green-flame blade, natchrapier glows with an eerie green flame, that he plunges into the darkened ant, shouting (Is this really necessary?) "...AND YOU GET A FIRE…" and, as a strand of flame leaped to the ant directly next to it, hollering (I’m sorry, father, you raised me better than this) "...AND YOU GET A FIRE."

Barkley steels himself with a deep breath before once more (Almost done, dear boy, you can do this) bellowing "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!" and ends his pyrotechnic display with a deep, ostentatious bow. Raising his head, he turns to his companions and, in his usual calm voice, enjoins them to "Join in anytime, now. Plenty to go around."

OOC Mechanics
Damage and Reactions from Enemy attack 1Rolls
Dice Dex saving throw:
1d20+8 (16)+8 Total = 24
(24) against a DC 11 Dex save, taking 5/2=2 acid damage.
Rolls
Dice Con saving throw:
1d20+4 (13)+4 Total = 17
(17) against a DC 10 Con save, keeping concentration on Hex
I don’t know which Drone sprayed Barkley, but they’re all within 60’ and visible, so he casts Hellish Rebuke as a level 1 spell, doing
Dice Hellish rebuke damage:
2d10 5, 1 Total = 6
(6) fire damage unless the drone makes a DC 15 Dex saving throw to take half damage.

Movement: None (jumps)

Bonus action: Moves Hex to ant A6 at square K7

Action: Cast Green-flame blade at ant A6 on square K7.
Rolls
Dice Melee attack:
1d20+7 (10)+7 Total = 17
(17) against AC 15, doing
Dice rapier:
1d8+4 (2)+4 Total = 6
(6) piercing damage,
Dice green-flame blade 1:
1d8 5
(5) fire damage, and
Dice Hex:
1d6 4
(4) necrotic damage.

Then the flame jumps to ant A3 on square J7, doing
Dice green-flame blade 2:
1d8+4 (4)+4 Total = 8
(8) fire damage.

Contingencies: (If somehow that ant is killed first, he’ll just attack and A5)

Reactions: If Barkley is damaged by a creature that survives the 10 damage from his Armor of Agathys, he will respond with casting Hellish Rebuke as a Level 1 spell again.

Last edited by oztk; 07-25-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Reacting to rolls
Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
Biting, scratching and spitting!The warrior ants closed in on the group before anyone, except the stiff lipped fellow that Syarafina and Hannibal had been shouting at 'not to worry', could do anything. While the princess soaped her blade, the goblin struggled to catch up with his tiny legs, and Hannibal tried to get Big Red burning things in the right direction, the fellow they thought they were rescuing had time to make a long winded introduction, comment on Syarafina's soap-based fencing form, correct Hannibal's assumption about his race, give some background as to the racial demographics at his work, and cast several spells at the ants. Hannibal turned to regard the half elf properly. All the prattling had passed over Hannibal's head like water over a duck's back; it was the spell casting that really caught the geriatric barbarian's attention.

Hannibal's eyebrows crunched down hard over his eyes and his lower eyelids crunched up hard towards his eyebrows, turning his face into a cold slit-eyed glare. "Boy, I don't care if you're half ape! Tongue waggling time after if you're alive! Take down them fliers with your 'rumsynoodles' and your 'gobbledy goo-'" The distracted war veteran felt a sharp pinch on his thigh. His grumping interrupted, Hannibal looked down to see a giant ant with its mandibles sunk into his flesh. There had been lots of warnings flying about regarding mandibles. Hannibal had a very specific set of vocabulary, and mandibles was not on that list. If someone had warned him about 'nippers', 'biters', 'teeth' or even 'pinchers' (no, not pincers... pinchers!), Hannibal would have grokked it! Hannibal had briefly wondered with a 'dibble' was earlier but had shoved it aside in his worry for Sonia's safety. Now, as a terribly itchy paralysing venom stole into his bloodstream and his entire spine began seizing up violently, the meaning of Syarafina's warning became patently clear: 'man-dibbles' and nippers were one and the same! "Dammit!" Hannibal croaked as his throat tightened and his limbs stiffened just as a winged drone flew overhead and spat burning acid down at his face, adding insult to injury, though Hannibal's head jerked back like a mongoose and caught the acidic spit perfectly on his eyepatch.

It was fortunate that, though suddenly stiffened, Hannibal still happened to be pointing at the ants with his cane. It was also fortunate that Hannibal had taken the time to properly explain to his fire elemental companion what was expected of him. Even as the old codger's face froze into a rictus of frustration and he struggled to keep control of his bodily functions, no more explanation was needed! Big Red set to work lighting up the beach! The tall towering inferno expanded to its full size and swept through its summoner's enemies like a fiery tornado of total destruction. Big Red seemed to have little worry for self preservation as it swallowed up one ant within its burning body, only to glide away to engulf another, leaving rows of burning ants in its wake. Those ants foolish enough to attack the elemental as it moved away merely managed to burn themselves even more. Suddenly the beach looked like it was covered in living bonfires! Somewhere in the back of Hannibal's numb mind he thought to himself 'I really hope Lola doesn't see the fires and swim to shore... It's really not a good time.'

It's just a scratch!Now one might think that an old geezer so far past his prime, like Hannibal, would have a flimsy constitution. One might think that such a bony old goat would be particularly susceptible to all sorts of illness, particularly poison for example. One might have written off the old barbarian as he began to sieze up. Well one would have been badly mistaken! Hannibal didn't need robust health or youthful immune systems! Hannibal had 'stubborn'! As the ant's nip caused a nasty burning sensation all up his thigh, which caused an unsightly itchy scratchy reaction uncomfortably close to his inner leg and sent his back into spasm, Hannibal decided to stubbornly ignore it! Besides the gobbledy-gooker was getting uppity, blasting ants left right and centre. As Big Red's work became apparent and Hannibal regained control over his jaw, he croaked at Barkley "Youngin', that's not a fire! This is a fire!"

The power of the ants venom faded and Hannibal began to move freely again. "Bloody ants! Ear scratchin'! Leg bitin'! Masseuse nabbin' critters!" he trumpeted, working himself into a full rage. The barbarian rose up to his full height, causing his spine to pop and crack as he worked out the spasms and several slipped disks momentarily moved back into place. Hannibal's Spirit Totem: ElephantThe barbarian's elephant skin underpants seemed to rise up with him like some grotesque totem. Hannibal's ears seemed to grow and his nose seemed to lengthen (or maybe he'd always had big ears and a large nose... it was pretty hard to say), as his skin greyed and grew even wrinklier (if that was even possible!). And then, like a geriatric two-legged, bald headed, elephant faced, white bearded berzerker, Hannibal set to cracking carapaces with reckless abandon!

The burning giant ant closest to the berserk barbarian took the brunt of the old geezer's bludgeoning cane. It took two goes to actually land a blow that got past the ant's thick carapace but Hannibal finally managed it! Thwack! His cane finally cracked down on the creature with tremendous force. Hannibal cackled madly, roaring "Krom!" and "Sonia!" each time he landed a blow, as a delicious caramel aroma settled upon the each from the ant swarm burning alive within their shells.

Last edited by jbear; 07-25-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Strike like flame, move like windBattle starts without ceremony. Barbaric (literally, given the frothing raving codger-on-a-stick next to her) but not unexpected.

This is why I must succeed. This is why I must train. A Protector prevents this madness. A blade in the dark saves 1000 lives. Pass unseen like a breath of wind, strike hard like the flames of hell.

Unfortunately, there is not currently an opportunity to pass unseen. Syarafina is hemmed in on all sides. More fortunately, the intriguing floral odor on her blade hides some of the emanations and fowl flecks that hover around Hannibal in a nimbus of indignation. Perhaps a scented blade ought to be my calling card, when I have risen to my position.

Hannibal flails and smashes, and does so well. He also takes a nasty bite, where Barkley (and herself) narrowly avoid them. The butler jumps and twirls and spits fire in every direction. A flying ants spit back. As it does this, Sara furrows her brow and Bardic Inspiration: cutting words to reduce damage as reactionwags her finger at the ant that spit acid her way.

"That is terrible beastly, Captain Ant! We are guests in your land, and you spit at us like a stable boy. For shame! For shame! What would Her Royal Majesty the Queen Ant say? Goodness me! Shame!"

The ant, either confused or truly ashamed, turns its head and misses the Princess. She is unscathed, and nods sternly. This is more appropriate behavior for a social animal.

She turns her righteous anger into action, twirling after Barkley. From her crouched position, she lunges forward, slashing at the ant in front of her. She connects easily, right in its mandibular head. Turning her momentum into further action, she takes an Aerial cartwheel over the target Her hands full of soapy vengeance, she has none free to plant on ground or insect. The ant's antennae are befuddled by the sleeves and skirts and petticoats that whirl and brush all around it. Before it can make sense of where girl ends and velvet begins, she plants her feet. Her eyes go pure white as she calmly states a simple koan,

"Does the wind Will its path?"

It seems like a bad time to pose rhetorical questions, but her answer is convincing. spend one Ki for flurry of blows. This is fluffed as dozens of strikes, but of course only two have a chance of hitting; most are distracting and insubstantialHer hand becomes a blur, a cloud of strikes too fast and ethereal to follow. Syarafina herself does not seem concerned about where they fall, but she presses the blows towards her enemy with indifference. A musky cloud of bubbles froths and disperses as the soap appears to be thrust in 5 directions at the same time. While her blows do not appear to land, the scent is certainly pleasant. She turns that forward momentum into a simple twirl and ends back where she began.

She shakes her head, and her eyes return to their beguiling greenish-grey. Of course her first order of business is to discuss etiquette. "Master Hannibal, you are being rude to our new guest! If you are not paying his retainer, he shall not be obligated to take your commands. You and she's talking about RedFather Ironwood are working well together. Would it not be better, my primal aesthete, to use his column of fire to take care of these distasteful flyers?"

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 07-25-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:25 PM
Dastardly Dolphin

Tools
User Statistics
Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh
Revenge is best served until they are deadThe acid burnt Gralzok but it was nothing compared to the burning sensation that could begin any moment in battle. An invisible fire would spread from his empty socket and down his sword arm. Gralzok whirled, his good eye locking onto the acid dripper. He batted away one ant’s mandibles with his sword and dodge the next with ease, yet he never took his eye off the flying drone.

Forced VengeanceThe sensation had first come the night he was turned into a goblin, along with the sword he now wielded. The hag had vanished leaving him in the diminutive form and after ransacking the hut she had resided in to no avail he returned to the orc tribe. The problem was he was now a goblin, and goblins were not liked one bit by orcs. A pair of sentry orcs had laughed at him as he walked up to them and told them what had happened; they did not believe any of it. He had tried to move past them to get into the camp itself to find one of the elders who he could prove himself to only to be smashed around the head by one of the pair. The blow was not that painful but the sudden blossoming pain around his eye was. It felt as though his head had been pushed into a campfire. There was no visible signs of fire, no bubbling blistering skin, no smell of burnt flesh. Yet he was on his knees screaming as the fire took hold, the sentries looking on very confusedly. It was as he was scrapping at his face to put out the invisible fire that his hand caught on something. Thinking it must be the cause of the burning he scrambled to pull it free from his empty eye socket. It kept coming until a longsword thumped to the dirt free from his eye.

By now the orc sentries were very worried, thinking some mad goblin priest had come to try to decimate their camp and began calling out to the others. The burning had not stopped but his vision was clearer and though screaming he felt an urge to hold the blade. As his now unfamiliar hand gripped it the fire bloomed down his arm to the sword. Yet he could not let go of it as he burned, his hand was locked to it. Gripping the sword had focused his vision further pulling his eye to one of the orcs. Gralzok stared at the orc and the fire began to spread through his body. Through his pain wracked mind thoughts began to trickle; the sword wanted something, the burning was linked to it, it had started when he was hit. Revenge. Revenge. Revenge. His body was nearly fully consumed by the invisible fire as he leapt at the orc that had first struck him. The blade cleaved through armour like butter, blood sprayed and the fire retreated a little. Gralzok continued to hack repeatedly at the orc until it lay slumped dead. In that instant the burning vanished and he had let out a long sigh. The other orc finally recovered his wits enough and swung its sword at Gralzok. His smaller body was nimbler but he was unaccustomed to it and even though he dodged most of the blow, the tip of the sword scored a shallow gash on his arm. The fire blossomed again from eye to arm. Now Gralzok knew, knew his task and knew the sword. Vengeance, vengeance to all those that harm Gruumsh’s chosen.

Six more orcs died that night that Gralzok returned a goblin. He had to shout all the while killing orcs about who he was and what he was doing. He tried to stop for one of the more respected warriors but the fire consumed him until he could not bear it and so he killed to sate it. It was only after things had calmed down did he truly realise Gruumsh’s intent. Orc society was built on competition, fighting, in and out. Yet if Gralzok was harmed in any way he was forced to kill. The vengeance was not to those whom harmed Gruumsh’s chosen but the one who transformed him into this despised form. He could not remain in the orc tribe; the only way he believed to return to the tribe was to get revenge on the hag and fully sate the blade.

Gralzok smiled up at the flying drone, there was no burning sensation yet so he still had all his wits about him. Yet all acts of harm must be repaid by death. ”You will burn and break before the might of Gruumsh. Your blood will nourish the blade that will kill your cowardly master.” The wings of the drone seem to slow a little and it sways in the air a moment as a heavy otherworldly force seems to turn its will towards it. ”Do not think your flying with save you either, ants burn like every other creature struck by lightning. None shall escape vengeance, but you will have the honour of dying first by my hand for what you have done to me.” Lightning sparks up the blade from the crossguard. Lifting the sword up Gralzok pulls his arm back and then flicks it forward as if using a fishing rod. Lightning lances from the sword tip towards the flying drone wrapping around its abdomen in several loops. Gripping the sword hilt with two hand Gralzok yanks back hard on it. Lightning continues to build on the sword as the drone struggles to stay aloft, if it falls it will get a nasty shock.

As he struggles with getting revenge against the airborne the others were doing their best to harm the other ground based ants. Though he had the same thought as Hannibal as to the new useful addition. ”Yes, follow Hannibal’s idea don’t stab, shoot like you were a moment ago! And we don’t need entertaining just killing. You too Snozbinder none of your strange hummy talk I doubt they understand you anyway this is a battle. Scream, yell, threaten!” Gralzok growls still tugging on the sword.

Last edited by Vallesh; 07-25-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:16 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
PCs Turn
The acid bombardment would not go unpunished by the Bulter. A rebuke burned the flying at overhead, and then Barkley infused his sword with Green Flames! and slashed it into the ant he had previously hexed. The creature continued to screech in rage, and looked to be severely wounded. Something strange happened though, when the ant was hit with the flames. The carapace of the ant seemed to melt off, revealing a second layer of skin below. This skin was fire red, almost liquid in nature as if the insides of the ants themselves were made of molten lava. Barkley could now feel the heat of these ants, not quite as hot as the fire elemental, but certainly noticeable even above the burning sun stuck in the sky directly above.

The large Fire Elemental set out on a rampage, running through the Ants, engulfing them in flames. As had happened with Barkley's attack, as the hot fire scorched each ant, this carapace melted, again revealing a red molten form of a fire ant below, which withstood any further damage that fire could cause the creatures. As the Element moved about, the Ants bit back in retaliation, no longer fearing the heat. The Drones above were saved from the swift moving fire hazard, due to their height in the air.

Hannibal was going to have none of this nonsense, however. Morphing strange fire ants shouldn't have been any problem for his cane! He immediately starting beating down on the head of the ant in front of him. The second of the blows nearly bashed the ants brains out of its head.

Syarafina's blade was next to strike out, and easily cut into the molten insect in front of her. She then tried to punch it over and over with a flurry of soapy attacks. A mound of bubbly suds started to form over the ant, but it seemed her hand was too easily slipping off the creature to land a solid blow.

Gralzok cursed the flying ant overhead and tried to pull it towards him with a cantrip. The creature was stronger than the Goblin had counted on, however, and refused to descend. Perhaps if he was still in his Orc body, he would have proved the stronger here. Or perhaps this was another trick of the Hag.

Enemey Rolls on PCs turnD3 Dex Save
Dice D3 Dex save vs HB:
1d20+2sch15 (19)+2 Total = 21
(21)
A1 OA vs. FE:
Dice A1 OA vs FE:
1d20+5 (16)+5 Total = 21
(21) for
Dice A1 Damage:
1d8+3 (8)+3 Total = 11
(11) piercing damage - no save, FE is immune to Paralized Condition.
A2 OA vs. FE:
Dice A2 OA vs FE:
1d20+5 (14)+5 Total = 19
(19) for
Dice A2 Damage:
1d8+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
(7) piercing damage - no save, FE is immune to Paralized Condition.
A3 OA vs. FE:
Dice A3 OA vs FE:
1d20+5 (20)+5 Total = 25
(25) Crit for
Dice A3 Damage:
2d8+3 (7, 1)+3 Total = 11
(11) piercing damage - no save, FE is immune to Paralized Condition.
A4 OA vs. FE:
Dice A4 OA vs FE:
1d20+5 (5)+5 Total = 10
(10) Miss!
D3 STR Save:
Dice D3 STR Save:
1d20+2 (14)+2 Total = 16
(16)

Enemy Turn
The enraged ants continued their assault. Hannibal found himself bit on the leg again by the ant who hadn't learned his lesson yet. Another whacking over the head would hopefully teach the creature a permanent lesson. Barkley also fell victim to the ant's mandibles. For this ant, however, the protection of Agathys retaliated with a cold bite that caused the ant to freeze up and stop moving. The other warrior ants found no holes in the defense put up by Gralzok and Syarafina. Overhead, the flying drones rushed to surround the Fire Elemental. Several landed bites, and burst into flames. The flying variant had the same exterior coating as those on the ground, wich melted away to reveal the insect's true nature beneath.

The worker ants which had burrowed back into the sand were still nowhere to be seen.

Monster's Actions and Rolls
A1 attack GR
Dice A1 to hit:
1d20+5 (12)+5 Total = 17
(17) Miss!
A2 attack GR
Dice A2 to hit:
1d20+5 (3)+5 Total = 8
(8) Miss!
A3 attack HA
Dice A3 to hit:
1d20+5 (18)+5 Total = 23
(23) or
Dice A3 advantage:
1d20+5 (20)+5 Total = 25
(25) for
Dice A3 Damage:
1d8+3 (2)+3 Total = 5
(5) piercing damage - and DC 11 CON save, or be paralized until the start of your next turn
A4 attack HA
Dice A4 to hit:
1d20+5 (3)+5 Total = 8
(8) or
Dice A4 advantage:
1d20+5 (10)+5 Total = 15
(15) Miss!
A5 attack BB
Dice A5 to hit:
1d20+5 (17)+5 Total = 22
(22) for
Dice A5 Damage:
1d8+3 (7)+3 Total = 10
(10) piercing damage - and DC 11 CON save, or be paralized until the start of your next turn. A5 dies from the cold damage done by Armor of Agathys.
A6 attack SY
Dice A6 to hit:
1d20+5 (1)+5 Total = 6
(6) Miss!

D1 attack vs. FE
Dice D1 to hit:
1d20+5 (4)+5 Total = 9
(9) miss
D2 attack vs. FE
Dice D2 to hit:
1d20+5 (8)+5 Total = 13
(13) for
Dice D2 Damage:
1d8+3 (2)+3 Total = 5
(5) piercing damage - no save, FE is immune to Paralized Condition. - takes
Dice d2 fire damage:
1d10 6
(6) fire damage from FE
D3 attack vs. FE
Dice D3 to hit:
1d20+5 (20)+5 Total = 25
(25) Crit for
Dice D3 Damage:
1d8+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
(7) +
Dice Crit Damage:
1d8 4
(4) piercing damage - no save, FE is immune to Paralized Condition. - already took 1st fire damage
D4 attack vs. FE
Dice D4 to hit:
1d20+5 (6)+5 Total = 11
(11) miss
D5 attack vs. FE
Dice D5 to hit:
1d20+5 (9)+5 Total = 14
(14) for
Dice D5 Damage:
1d8+3 (7)+3 Total = 10
(10) piercing damage - no save, FE is immune to Paralized Condition. - takes
Dice d5 fire damage:
1d10 5
(5) fire damage from FE

OODM
Everyone may now take their turn! (Unless you failed a save for paralysis)

Notes: Damage rolls are all pre-resistance. Please apply any that applies on your own. (Looks like everyone is doing that, just noting it as a reminder)

I am resolving actions in posting order, not by initiative. So, Barkley's attacks were vs. A5 per his contingency list. Hex was not moved since A5 was not at 0 HP yet.

Also, I had completely forgotten in the first round, that these ants were intended to be Fire Ants, 100% immunity to fire damage. This was a design decision made months ago, not something we came up with on the spot to deal with the Fire Elemental. As a result, as a compromise, the first attack on the ants that deals fire damage will do so at the full amount, but then reveal the ant's true nature.

Cast of Characters
jbear's Hannibal
Vallesh's Gralzok
Wynamoinen's Syarafina

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shore fight_R2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	73865  

Last edited by Bhelogan; 07-26-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:32 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
Them Pesky Nippers with their Itchy Scratchy Poison...On the best of days Hannibal was a cantankerous, opinionated, stubborn old goat. On most days he was a right grumpy ol' basterd; those who had dealings with the grouchy geezer were very glad that 'Gramps' was in the habit of dozing off for several months at a time. But those days when Hannibal worked himself into a proper rage ... shudder... it really was not a good idea to remain anywhere near him! Especially if you happened to be the reason he had flown into the rage in the first place. When Hannibal flew into a rage, his perception of the world narrowed down to a red hued spot not far from in front of his long wrinkly nose. Words bounced off his ears. Small, important details bounced off his bloodshot eyeballs. There was no thought given to protecting himself; pain became a distant abstract thing of no concern to Hannibal. The only thoughts Hannibal had, if you could call them 'thoughts', were ones driven by pure, utter violence. 'Break the enemy'. 'Crush the enemy'. 'Destroy the enemy'.
'Smash the enemy to smithereens!'

His own consciousness was so shredded by the need to inflict pain on those who stood before him, that all of his veteran smarts were tossed out the window, so to speak. Otherwise Hannibal might have noticed that the ants had a fiery molten core. He might have noticed that Big Red's burning touch was being about as effective as drowning a fish. He might have heard the insane goblin call out his support of Hannibal's snarling suggestion towards Barkley. He might have listened to Syarafina's restrained admonition of the barbarian's frightful manners and her own diplomatic suggestion that he in fact should direct Big Red's attentions towards the flyers. But all that was a peripheral blur and buzzing in Hannibal's ears. It didn't even occur to Hannibal that he really should take some more care to avoid getting bitten by these man-dibbles again.

Nip!

The nasty fire ant bit down on Hannibal's thigh again, higher than the last time - It looks like Hannibal was hit by a CRIT due to Reckless Advantagepainfully close to the important parts tucked inside the barbarian's elephant skin underpants in fact!. The bite was far more painful than last time
Dice Extra Critical Hannibal should have taken:
1d8 5
(5), but Hannibal really only felt the itchy burning sensation that tore through his loins and sent his back into spasm again, leaving him stiff as a board. "Dammit!"

Meanwhile, Big Red, now playing the 'flame' to the ants' proverbial 'moth', was doing his best to burn the swarming ants around itself, but even Big Red was starting to get the picture that molten lava creatures were difficult if not impossible to burn. The fire elemental, doing its best to obediently follow his summoners orders and burn all the 'not-humans', reached up and swatted the last couple of flying drones that didn't look like lava beings in the hope that these ones would be different. Of course they weren't, and exactly the same thing happened, leaving Big Red powerless to do anything more than be a big ol' flaming punching bag (which, whether Big Red liked it or not, was actually still very important for the group's chances of survival).

Last edited by jbear; 07-26-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
War is the best solution, but for all other solutions attemptedThe flames of war reveal a sterner defense on the ants. The crackling spinning butler takes a nasty bite. Hannibal takes another, and goes rigid. The soap appears to do nothing.

"No, no, no! This is all wrong! This is NOT how it should be! Good people resolve their differences with words and wits. It is boorish - BOORISH, I say! - to hash these disputes out in public. Please, for the last time, stop! We do not want to battle the Ant Regiment. You will be destroyed if you persist."

She quickly surveys the scene. Barkley is carving through the nearby ants. Hannibal, could he move, looks like he would attack without sense or reason. Yet the poor little green gob-gob is hard-pressed and alone against two warrior ants.

The princess, with a look of desperate reluctance (the tribulations of war are too, too cruel to dwell upon!), drops her soap on the path and takes out her thumb piano. Even with one hand, she is a more-than-passable musician. She sings (of course!) Casting Animal friendship, using a second level spell slot, on A2 and A4, by Gralzok. DC 14 WIS save or they are charmed, as long as no one attacks them (and assuming they're dumb beasts). No concentration!in a warbly, vibrato-filled soprano:

"Peace, ants, at peace please be.
See, ants, the good that we
might find to live in harmony!
Grant your aid, or perchance flee."

"Tireless ants, you are good and lovely creatures. Show me! Help me to stop this senseless war.

"Good Sir Gralzok, mighty hag-hunter, gaze of metal and dark and light! Grant Gralzok bardic inspiration with my bonus actionYour might can turn this battle! Accept the offer of aid given by our ant allies!"

The idea of 'ant allies' might seem strange at this particular moment, but the warrior ants to Gralzok's A2 and A4 are targetedright and center seem to be seriously reconsidering the wisdom of further battle. They've only known one female in their whole lives, and her will is never to be gainsaid. Isn't their only motive to obey the royal command? The warrior ant to the semi-orc's I did not target A1left is less persuaded. This royal female seems noticeably less gargantuan than her cohorts.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 07-26-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
OODM
I was informed by Vallesh that Gralzok is using his shield at the moment so A1 hits for
Dice A1 damage:
1d8+3 (2)+3 Total = 5
(5) damage and needs a DC 11 CON save.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Dastardly Dolphin

Tools
User Statistics
Proving the others are foolsThe line of lightning snapped! Gralzok stumbled back a step as the drone flew away completely ignoring the angry goblin. His strength had not been enough to pull it down.

Raaaaaaarrrrgh! He screams up at the drone. Get back here! Don’t you dare ignore me or my threat. The hag’s told you to ignore me hasn’t she! Well you keep doing that and I’ll cut all your wings off and well... not burn you as it now seems you’re all made of fire. Why are you two setting all of them on fire!” He screeches at Hannibal and the new comer, he did not realise these were the normal true forms of the ants. ”Now they’re even more dangerous. You Young orcs too eager to prove themselves rushing into unnecessary danger.graobers stab or smash them. And Hannibal won’t your stick catch fire? Use the axe on my pack,” He loosens the pack on his back ready to drop it, the axe in question on one side with a shield on the other. ”if your stick turns to ash.” He returns his attention to the drone. ”I know what to do now, I will slowly drown you in the sea, yes you will suffer for this insult. I will dun*GAAHHA*!” One of the ants he was not paying attention to bit into his leg.

He feels a little numb suddenly and his body begins to slow. ”Is thissss theee haaaaag’s woorrrkkkkkkkk? Graaaawwaaa” His words slur and his eye scans the background. That hag trying to make me even more worthless. One ant ignores me, another bites me, and the hag slows my sword arm. No, I Gralzok the Blackened-Knuckle will not give in to this hag’s magic! His orc spirit, well orcish constitution, surges through his body forcing what he believes is the hags magic out. When in actual fact his body fights off the ants’ natural venom instead.

He had a new closer target now and the invisible burning had started all down his face and arm. Nothing other than death would stop him from getting his vengeance on this one. If it ran he would hunt it down and know it from every other ant here. A strange sound catches his ears still through the burning haze. Is some fool singing?! Dear Gruumsh why in the battlefields of Acheron would Snozbinder be singing aaand to the cursed ants. He shouts over his shoulder at her. ”War does not end until one force is annihilated or taken as slaves and I know I will cut all these hag servants up. I will not be needing their burning thrice cursed help hummy.” As if to emphasise the point he grabs his sword two handed and swings with his full goblin might at the ant that bit him.

The notched sword carves through the air. *CLANG* Pincers intercept the blade. The pair twist and lunge trying to get the better of each other, Gralzok extending to his full goblin reach is just not long enough the blade falls short. Even his anger at the others foolishness of songs and turning normal ants into very hot ants can not propel him any further. With a screech he pulls the blade back and prepares for his next move.

Being so small has its advantages but Gralzok will never ever admit it. Yet it allowed him to duck low, twist, and hop away from the ant's pincers without exposing any openings to his limbs again. He was now back to back with the elder barbarian Hannibal, tactically sound and meant they could focus on the ants infront of them without worry about their backs. But whether Hannibal in his current state understood this was a matter up to the gods. Still Gralzok shrugged his pack off, letting it fall to the sand with the axe pointing in Hannibal's direction for when his stick was just firewood.

Last edited by Vallesh; 07-26-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Closed Thread