RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > The Thousand Hidden Paths
twitter google facebook
1 9 1 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2794
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Whispers of the Paths

This thread will provide a place to discuss what's going on in the game, and to get clarification about aspects of the scene or setting, and to raise questions about the rules. I'll also be using it as a place to get the group's consensus about decisions that have to be made together out-of-character (such as whether everybody's ready to end the current scene and start a new one, or to make sure everybody's on board with a course of action before we narrate its beginning).

Finally, I strongly encourage you to use the OOC thread as a way of checking in with other players about how the game is going. Good RPG players keep one foot in "this is what my character would do" and the other in "this is what will make the game fun for everybody" - use this thread as a place to check on the latter.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20035
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Thanks for accepting me! I'm looking forward to this. Now then, time to piss off the DM... (I try not to actually, but I do try to communicate).

Quote:
Please include a spoilered stat block for your character in each post - everyone has their own taste about how exactly they make these, but have one and keep it up to date with things like HP totals, spell slots expended, etc.

Please include a (reasonably-sized) character portrait with each of your posts. It helps bring your character to life for other players, and it helps to quickly distinguish who’s who when reading the thread.
This sort of 'busy work' will slow my post rate down. I often post from my phone or within a limited time window, where cutting and pasting is hard and formatting things like images or stat-blocks is slow and annoying. Also, I keep my sheet current, as that's what it is for, so the redundant portrait/stats is...well...redundant. So, if you really expect this in every post, I'll try but know that it might decrease my over-all post rate/quality due to the time spent on redundant coding. I'll comply with these things if they are important to you, but I wanted to make those points. I may also need reminded, as this is the only game I'm in that uses these conventions - so I not accustomed to it. Here are a few alternate ways of doing it.

Do you know about the profiler's character attribute summery thing in the campaign manager? Took me years to discover that, so if you do know about it - you're awesome! It keeps all the relevant stats of all the players in a campaign in one little list. It looks like this, but with all the players not just me (I had to put just me in the list to make the sample, as I don't have any active campaigns. I don't use this in my games, I look at sheets instead.)

Instead of a stat block in my posts, would a link to my character sheet be enough? Heck, I have that in my username drop down menu, so would that suffice?

If the character picture is wanted to help remind people of who one is, my advice is to always include your character's name, class, and some repeating description near the start of every (or most) posts. "Indie adjusted the whip on his belt and looked around the room as only a rogue can, looking for traps and evidence of other hidden things." Don't need a picture of Indian Jones to know who that is. I agree, however, that pictures can be useful at the start of a game. My suggestion, if you still want images, is to maybe only do it for the first act, while we are all getting to know each other's characters.

Last edited by Still_Pond; 03-22-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2609
Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk
Quote:
Characters will be equipped using starting gold as though they had rolled the maximum possible for their class. Wizard characters receive an additional 500 gp, which may be spent exclusively on adding additional spells to their spellbook (beyond those attained by leveling up).
Is the cost for these additional spells 50g per level of spell?
My sheet is pretty much done except for the 500g of extra spells.

Last edited by Stonk; 03-22-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:34 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Pond View Post
This sort of 'busy work' will slow my post rate down. I often post from my phone or within a limited time window, where cutting and pasting is hard and formatting things like images or stat-blocks is slow and annoying. Also, I keep my sheet current, as that's what it is for, so the redundant portrait/stats is...well...redundant. So, if you really expect this in every post, I'll try but know that it might decrease my over-all post rate/quality due to the time spent on redundant coding. I'll comply with these things if they are important to you, but I wanted to make those points. I may also need reminded, as this is the only game I'm in that uses these conventions - so I not accustomed to it. Here are a few alternate ways of doing it.
If you're posting from a phone, it's completely fine if you're not able to do all the copy/paste stuff every time. If you could drop in the picture every so often when you have the opportunity, just to remind folks of what you look like, that would be nice, but not mandatory.

Quote:
Do you know about the profiler's character attribute summery thing in the campaign manager? Took me years to discover that, so if you do know about it - you're awesome! It keeps all the relevant stats of all the players in a campaign in one little list. It looks like this, but with all the players not just me (I had to put just me in the list to make the sample, as I don't have any active campaigns. I don't use this in my games, I look at sheets instead.)
I'd never noticed this before; thanks for pointing it out!

Quote:
Instead of a stat block in my posts, would a link to my character sheet be enough? Heck, I have that in my username drop down menu, so would that suffice?
Links are fine; just so long as there's an easy way to get at relevant stats without having to root around in a lot of menus. As for the pictures, I like them for the ambiance it gives the thread, but it's not vital if it's inconvenient.

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 03-22-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonk View Post
Is the cost for these additional spells 50g per level of spell?
My sheet is pretty much done except for the 500g of extra spells.
It's at the 50gp per spell level rate from the PHB. A wizard who's restricted to just the spells they get from leveling up is sort of missing out on one of the most important perks of the class, so I thought a little budget for additional spells picked up over the course of one's career up to this point would level that out a bit.

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 03-22-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20035
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Glad to know you're reasonable. Thanks. I will try to include those things when time allows.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5238
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Hello, thanks for choosing me, Memory! I hope to not disappoint you as a player. I must not have disappointed you as a GM much, otherwise I saw myself not getting picked. lol

It will be nice to play with everyone!

Will have a character sheet, stat block and smaller image, likely only a portrait ready soon but for the time being, I have a toddler on my lap lol
Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
Will have a character sheet, stat block and smaller image, likely only a portrait ready soon but for the time being, I have a toddler on my lap lol
No rush, toddler comes first (I've got one too) and it's going to take me a while to work out the initial scenario anyway, since I'm trying to build one around as much character backstory as I can rather than just "you all meet in a tavern."
Old 03-22-2018, 06:18 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
An excellent way to do it, I would say, I speak for myself but I am pretty sure everyone will agree, I appreciate the effort it takes to start a story right as a GM.

Considering language picks: Since non-human races aren't too popular among certain areas, are there other languages that would be more commonly used besides...common?

And Equipment: We get all the starting gear from class and background then the max starting wealth per class?

Last edited by Arthilian01; 03-22-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, Character sheet done unless I need to change something.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Stat block and post picture done and documented.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:27 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
An excellent way to do it, I would say, I speak for myself but I am pretty sure everyone will agree, I appreciate the effort it takes to start a story right as a GM.

Considering language picks: Since non-human races aren't too popular among certain areas, are there other languages that would be more commonly used besides...common?

And Equipment: We get all the starting gear from class and background then the max starting wealth per class?
Let's go with starting gear per class and then max wealth... if you want to replace something from the starting gear, though, it's got to come out of the starting money. I'm not super fussy about equipment, though - the starting wealth gives a general guideline for what you'd have on hand at this point in your career on the Thousand Hidden Paths (or, in Berek's case, the share of the loot that he's hauling back from his successful campaign), but you don't need to account for every copper piece. RPing shouldn't feel like doing your taxes.

As for language picks: "Common" for our purposes is the language of the Celestial Throne's empire, which means that, yes, almost everyone speaks it. Elven probably only makes sense for Nessima, since it might have been kept alive in her community. Berek's people most likely have a clan dialect that's different enough from Common to count as its own language. Celestial is the ritual language of the Heavenly Cult and the formal language of the Celestial Throne's government; both Yu Yan and Jin might have cause to know it, for different reasons. Infernal, Abyssal, and Draconic all exist, but almost exclusively as dead languages that only wizards know in order to study ancient tomes; Jaster is the only one likely to have exposure to any of them (although maybe Nessima does as well). Drevan's mysterious monastery might very well have its own secret language, possibly a debased form of some more ancient tongue, almost exclusive to its agents and adherents, which he might know.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alright

-Horse Clan added as language
-I deleted all Berek's 'Background' equipment which I didn't need in the first place.
-I purchased a 10 gpwooden shield, 75 gold and because it makes sense.Riding horse and 5 goldsaddlebag

Oopsies:
-May I keep the 10 gp from my background for my shield? Berek only gets 80gp from stating wealth but I couldn't justify him not having a horse.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Alright

-Horse Clan added as language
-I deleted all Berek's 'Background' equipment which I didn't need in the first place.
-I purchased a 10 gpwooden shield, 75 gold and because it makes sense.Riding horse and 5 goldsaddlebag

Oopsies:
-May I keep the 10 gp from my background for my shield? Berek only gets 80gp from stating wealth but I couldn't justify him not having a horse.
Tell you what - don’t pay for the horse. With the initial scenario shaping up the way it is, it looks like Berek, Jin, Drevan, and Jaster will have riding horses provided at the outset. Yu Yan and Nessima not so much, but it should be easy for them to acquire some by the time it becomes relevant.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:48 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
A free horse! Awesome!

You are an awesome GM!