twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:27 PM
DnD Grognard. Look it up.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50906
dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth
May POTM

Mayflowers always bring Pilgrims, at least to the new world.

What did your players or DM's bring you in May?

If it was a superb post, nominate it here for Post of the Month, and they may win. Whether or not they do, they might still get goosebumps for just being nominated!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11221
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Player Nominated: Jarl11
Game: Reign of Winter
DM: Dressedtojazz

Reason for nomination: Caradeen have lived a secluded and sheltered life, but the supernatural Winter in Taldor have pushed him to take yet another dance with the short-lived humans. Fate has a way to mess around with you and this is not much different for Jarl's character. In this excellent post, Caradeen make a good job trying to convey the wisdom in his choices for a young noble specimen of these short-lived and stressed humans. While this take place, Jarl also manages to pay attention to his own characters deep history, the feelings he have right there and then and the details in the surroundings. As a bonus (that might not be entirely clear from this one post) Jarl also helps to drive the game forward and get some decisions jotted down.

Link to Post: Link

Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 AM
Mindshifter
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4212
Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex
Player Nominated: Vallesh
Game: Outplay 2018
DM: AdminRonarsCorruption

Reason for nomination: Among many interesting and colourful characters, Vallesh's Hunger is absolutely unique. The reinterpretation of a warlock pact has been driving the character through the labyrinth and really shines. My favourite is this post of his which really showcases the different forces driving the half-crazed lizardfolk monk to do the things he does. Hunger is a brilliant character, and deserves all the recognition it deserves.

Link to Post: LINK

Old 05-26-2018, 04:02 PM
Best Atomic Clock

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27057
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Player Nominated: Qiksilv
GM: Admin RonarsCorruption

Reason: It's tough to pick just one Outplay post to nominate, but I keep coming back to Qiksilv's introduction of Marvel. We all make these ready-for-anything characters with big personalities or horrifying backstories or weird quirks, and Qiksilv came in with a character who was running late, struggling with potions and ointments, trying to calm his pet—not an animal companion or familiar, an actual pet—and attempting to assemble a team for easier looting. I wasn't with this group of players, but if I had been, my character would have been drawn in by Marvel's arrival.

Become a Community Supporter
Old 05-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Troubled Poet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11815
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Player Nominated: Unko Talok
GM: Admin RonarsCorruption

Reason: There's something quite endearing about entering a contest with a character that didn't even want to be there. Roc Ingersol was a favourite of mine from the start, and at every turn he charmed me more and more with his shenanigans. Roc is a charming, cowardly, and utterly un-heroic man with no business being at the Warrior's Gate -- and he knows it -- but as the competition progresses his does his damndest to fit in and make it out alive.

The scene below occurs when he and his partner come across four powerful beings (each representing a season) arguing about where they should put a new day granted to them by the god of challenges. Roc, ever the crowd pleaser, has a very simple message: can't we all just get along?

LINK

Last edited by DAquilina; 06-01-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:16 AM
Rules Enforcer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24272
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Player Nominated: Hack
Game: The Kingmaker Chronicles
DM: Thorsten

Reason for nomination: Five men and women from all over the land has heeded the call for great leaders to gather and go east into the unknown to tame a wild region known as the Giant Downs. Lady Camilla von Orlock is one of those five, and in this first post she shows a bit of what we can expect from the haughty noblewoman.

This game is somewhat unique in that every player has to manage not only themselves, but their retinues as well. Hack manages to introduce each of his followers in turn, weaving them into the tale through delightful descriptions and evocative dialogue before finally revealing Lady Camilla herself. It is great introduction to one fifth of the 30 man group heading into the wilds, and the way both PC and npc is brought into the story is just brilliant. Especially with the noblewoman's sole focus and interest in the end seeming to be the only other party member and PC to hold a rank and social standing higher than her own.

Link to Post: Link

Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:06 PM
A legend in my spare time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2958
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Player Nominated: Syne
Game: The Siege of Aänor's Reach
DM: Gallup's Mirror

Scene Context:

Syne's character, a retired halfling wizard named Calleigh Cassin, is trapped between opposing armies before a battle in a seaside town with thousands of war refugees. She has struck a deal to trade her wizardly adventuring abilities for shipboard passage out of the war zone, to be reunited with her husband and his family.

As a result of rumors and exaggerations beyond her control, Calleigh has, much to her unease, been cast as a heroic resistance fighter almost overnight. This earned her the idolization of a teenage halfling named Wincoy. Calleigh's effort to protect Wincoy during a fight with powerful gangsters indirectly led to Wincoy's forcible conscription to fight for the weaker army, as he idealistically sacrificed himself to buy time for Calleigh and the rest of the party to escape the same fate.

Reason for nomination:

Syne has played Calleigh with a growing sense of self-doubt as people keep getting killed or losing everything in the war and it's getting harder to know what to believe or identify the right thing to do. In this scene, Calleigh is blaming herself for Wincoy's loss--in a state of simultaneous guilt and gladness for her escape--while questioning her own tolerance for hardship and sacrifice. I like the way Syne captures this complicated feeling in a few paragraphs, in a realistic portrayal of Calleigh's inner conflict and depth as a character.

Link to Post: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...48#post7988348

Old 05-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9073
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Player: Kapera
Game: Guardians of the North
DM: Leo Byron

Reason for Nomination: Kappy is a great writer. Seriously. In this post, her character Nolia, a dryad, is meeting up with the rest of the party for the first time, along with her NPC troll friend. Kappy paints a vivid picture of despair, loneliness, and determination, which morphs into elation at finding her friend alive. She then has to deal with socially interacting with half a dozen strangers, and does a great job of portraying her thought processes and feelings as she does so.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4189
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Player Nominated: Rhaiber
Game: Blood on the Snow: A Viking Adventure
DM: Jeffkevlar

Reason for Nomination: Rhaiber has a way with words, she just has a way of typing that enraptures the mind's eye and helps you envision exactly whats going on. Her character literally comes to life in each post.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:57 PM
Damn the Torpedoes!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7895
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Player Nominated: LittleBlueNA
Game: Cult of the Burning Fist
DM: LeoByron

Reason for Nomination: Where to start? For one, my first reaction upon reading this post was to run to the PotM forum, but this thread wasn't open yet. I'll admit I'm partial to Kima and to LittleBlueNA in general, as I share three games with him, but this post was pure. It was more than going through the motions. I could feel Kima’s growth. I could feel the conflict within. Combat is easy. You pick a target and find a way to subdue it. Facing a character's own demons or even their mere resistance to deviation from their paths is more complex. Blue handled it with aplomb. The internal conflict to accept fighting corruption with corruption is delicious. Meeting a demigoddess is a powerful moment, and through Blue’s words Kima brought a unique humility to the experience. I found it an absolutely exemplary post.

Link to Post: Linketty Link
Closed Thread