: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 03:52 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53437
dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth
November POTM

Ah, November. The best and most important month of the year, because it contains my birthday. Yes indeed, many, many, many years ago, I was brought into this world, and it has never been the same.

Has someone given birth to a great post this month? Then nominate it here for consideration in November's Post of the Month contest.

Having won a contest already this year, the following people are not able to win again, no matter how brilliant their posts. Sorry.

Sassafrass
Kellycat
Dracina
Dressedtojazz
Kapera
PIG
Notahoneybadger
Maskain
LeoByron
Goatmeal

Last edited by dirkoth; 11-11-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12744
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Game: Wrath of the Righteous
Player: Hound
Character: Marcus
Nominated By: HenryLockwood

An early nomination here. Marcus, the paladin, had a childhood sweetheart who was killed when they were young. The player, Hound, had been away from the game for a bit; on his return he pulled this post out of the bag to explain Marcus' absence, and what a good job he did of character development!

Old 11-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49679
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Nominee: ekidnu
Game: Carrion Crown
GM: Sassafrass J. Grump
Link: Here

Reason: Hrani (Inem) and Mara (played by ekidnu) are chasing a culprit in Lepidstadt, one they think is connected to a grizzly set of murders that their friend, the sentient flesh golem Sullivani, has been framed for. Mara, the stalwart champion and party face, cannot walk as quickly as Hrani because she is a mermaid cursed with legs. So, in order to help, she comes up with a creative solution. Using her hat of disguise, she draws attention to herself and hopefully to the fight that Hrani might find himself in shortly, by putting on the form of someone from Part I of Carrion Crown, a young girl who died at the hands of the ghosts Mara and company defeated. It's sweet, in a subtle way, and to players of CC since then, very impactful.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8574
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Nominee: Insacrum
Game: Reign of Winter
GM: DressedtoJazz
Link

Reason: In this post, Byorkel (goblin cleric of Zogamut) is revived from unconsciousness after a combat. I think divine casters tend not to focus enough on their character's rlationship with their god, but Insacrum does so here in a masterful and entertaining way.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2730
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Nominee: mountainbound
Game: The Siege of Aänor's Reach
GM: GallupsMirror
Link to Private Thread

Reason: This is currently my favorite game on all of RPGX. The storytelling, the plot, the tempo, the real feeling of dread and crisis, it's all here. And it's further capitalized by the excellent job of the other PCs in making the story even more rich and compelling. High quality posts abound so it's always hard to pick just one, but I feel mountainbound deserves some recognition for his portrayal of Solgar, the sage-like barbarian with the Buddhist values and the fiery temper of a northern warrior. This particular post portrays a common feel to Solgar - introspection mixed with action, and well written to boot.

Last edited by Grouchy; 11-28-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1558
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Nominee: Skep
Game: The Family Business
GM: Roekahs
Link: Here for full context

Reason: Sometimes things fall out just perfectly to give a player a chance to shine. I am hoping that I can do enough to allow this post to stand on its own despite a fair bit of context, so bear with me!
  • Skep is playing a fighter that he is RPing as twins (so there have been some interesting mechanical choices ... like needing 2 weapon fighting feat so they both get a sword ... but that is a diferent kind of entertaining)
  • Gia is the more sensible female and Ollie is the more impulsive, carefree male
  • The party is camped for the night and split with the twins guarding their camp and the other current player (Monty, played by Ssays) spying on a nearby camp
  • I was introducing a new character (warlock played by zevonian) who snapped a twig while running from goblins. It was heard by Monty but not by the twins.
  • The warlock wanted to use Awakened Mind as part of her introduction. So we rolled for who she could contact. It came up Ollie.
  • At the same time that the warlock projected a voice into Ollie's head, Monty was working his way back toward the camp due to the twig snap and tried to communicate with the twins using bird sounds in the form of a song they all knew
This leaves us with Gia hearing Monty and Ollie hearing a warning of goblins in his head. I think he absolutely embodied the confusion in his post. Skep has done a masterful job with his crazy idea to play twins and this is just one great example. Oh, and context for the last line: the twins had been telling ghost stories before the events in this post and afterward Gia had mentioned bears, which had worried Ollie.

TL;DR: Ollie had a voice in his head warning of goblins, Gia heard their other companion mimicking bird calls in the form of a tune they all know

a whole bunch of meatsacks | Randall Smith, mending fences
Old 12-01-2018, 08:18 AM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6395
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Player: Wynamoinen
Game: Portage: Rising From Ashes
GM: Kapera

Reason for Nomination: This isn't a long post here, but it struck me immediately as something memorable. The character is talking to another character while waiting for a meeting. But there are new faces she's not familiar with that will be joining them... and the reaction that Wynamoinen gave reveals the character very well. Leesa's dismissive attitude towards Adina is good... but it gets better when she greets one newcomer, Alec who is played by Yuul. The response is well written, almost visceral, and I can see it perfectly in my mind's eye.