twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:39 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56461
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
December POTM

December is here, the thick of the Holiday season. But, with all the time off we get, let's see if we can't get a lot of great nominations for Post of the Month.

If you nominate, Santa's little helpers will have to do work in judging them, and naming one as the winner, so... let's put those little elves to work.

Having won a contest already this year, the following people are not able to win again, no matter how brilliant their posts. Sorry.

Sassafrass
Kellycat
Dracina
Dressedtojazz
Kapera
PIG
Notahoneybadger
Maskain
LeoByron
Goatmeal
Ekidnu

Last edited by Admin Dirk; 12-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2660
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Can we nominate an exchange of posts as opposed to a single post? I’m in a game at the moment where two players have wove together a three post exchange that is stunning in its vulnerable emotional development and establishment of their underlying characters. This interaction will undoubtedly shape the way the story plays out for (hopefully) years to come. Everything you want from RP ...

... so can I nominate the set? Or does it only count if it fits in a single post?

Thanks

Jon
Old 12-05-2018, 10:53 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56461
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
You should pick the best post out of the group.

You can give links to the others as a "back story" for the judges to look at if we need context.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2660
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Nominee: Begon Ugo
Game: The Emporer is Dead (game 2)
GM: Creed

Reason: The Emporer is Dead is an extraordinary game. The players’ characterisation and interplay is wonderful... this recently reached a height with the existential crisis of one of the protagonists ... The nominated post is the culmination of a three post exchange between two players that is stunning in its vulnerable emotional development and establishment of their underlying characters. This interaction will undoubtedly shape the way the story plays out for (hopefully) years to come. Everything you want from RP ...

Trilla is a half-orc recently freed Gladiator, proud of her status as a free person. Very early in the game there was a positively Tarantino like unexpected explosion of violence that resulted in Trilla’s tongue being cut out. Note only that she is being forced into service by a young precocious noble girl. Trilla’s mood has been brooding. Grum is one of the party - a wonderfully complex hedge wizard, struggling to develop and control his own powers, in a beautifully played struggle with the weave. He manipulates people with the same skill he uses with the weave ...

The trio of posts starts with Trilla being pushed over the edge. In a moment of personal crisis she strips her armour and takes out her frustration on nearby trees
In the second Grum reaches out to Trilla - empathising and offering poetic worlds of advice
And the final post - which is my nomination - is the cathartic moment where Grum’s advice washes through Trilla and she transforms her physical appearance to reflect her new character.

Nothing will be the same again ...

Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Some Believe in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1008
astra astra astra astra astra astra astra astra
Nominee: Mountainbound
Game: The Siege of Aänor's Reach (Link: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...15#post8238015 The game thread is set to private)
GM: Gallup'sMirror
Reason: The quality of the writing from the players and the GM in this game is really a cut above. I first caught wind of it when one of the players was nominated for POTM a while ago. I started spectating the game, at first mostly because the concept seemed interesting and then as time grew on I found myself drawn into the story and eventually the GM and I worked out a plausible way for me to take over what I think was supposed to be a fairly minor, disposable NPC and spin her into a PC in my own way. I hope to measure up to the quality of play but it's a lofty standard that's been set.

Mountainbound plays Solgar (on paper a barbarian) who was raised by a monastic, vaguely buddhist order of monks in the mountains and owes his life to the sacrifice of one mystical elder - Bodhiji. This ascetic gave his life to be tortured and killed by orcs, that a young Solgar might go free in his place.

For context, Solgar is an absolute mountain of a man. He's 6 feet and 5 inches of sinew and muscle with long unkempt hair and a heart of gold.

My character has just been introduced (for plot reasons not entirely relevant to this nomination) and happens to be carrying the reincarnation of Bodhiji, an infant with the mind of an adult who in a recent DMpost snapped Solgar into a reverie and greeted his old friend warmly. The nominated post is Solgar's immediate reaction which is quintessentially human, and shows us what good characterization looks like: this man of few words is being herded and hunted by the invading armies of an undead apocalypse and in an unexpected twist is suddenly brought to tears by the spiritual vision he's seen. Solgar is a character of depth, realistically portrayed.

Leaving the good writing aside, it's also a great post in terms of game mechanics. Mountainbound weaves together the excellent characterization I mentioned above with the essential elements of cooperative storytelling: Solgar's reacting to the situation, bringing the post "up to date" if you will, and then gives someone else in the game (in this case myself) something to work with so the plot can continue to advance: dialogue in the form of a question.

Without further ado, here's a contextual exerpt from the DM post:

And now witness a great player in action:

Last edited by astra; 12-08-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Foolish Mortal

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9530
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Nominee: MemoryBeast
Game: To Slay a Dragon
GM: undeadrajib

Reason: The purpose of our quest is simple: to save the town of Foxdale from a red dragon. We have discovered that the dragon has a large band of kobold working for it. The group has captured and interrogated a kobold named Grak, who gave up some details on their hidden fortress. MemoryBeast's character Nora the druid suggested that Naskan, our dragonborn paladin, try to wrestle leadership of the kobolds from their leader, a red dragonborn named Hurek. The rest of the group scoffed at her, thinking it simpler to just kill off the kobolds. When even Naskan turned against her, Nora offered this impassioned response...

Link to Original Post
Old 01-02-2019, 07:15 AM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9839
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Player: JackinIrons
Game: Portage: Rising from Ashes
GM: Kapera

Reason for Nomination: I really enjoyed writing this post, and I like the complexity of this character in general. In this post, the character is waking up the night after he had succumbed to his split, and found himself confined for the safety of others. It took him some time to get where he needed to be... but it's his inner struggles that resonated when I was writing. Considering his mind is broken, he doesn't have many real friends, so he fears to lose the few that he has. And he expects to lose them. As the post goes on, he also mourns the death of the woman who he looked to as a mother and tries to deal with the guilt of losing control, and thus, allowing the sanctity of her Haven to be violated. The post finishes up with him meeting several new people, and the shy broken man trying to do what he must as he fights the instinct to flee. It's a post I'm proud of, and I hope other people enjoy it.