RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5942
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
Roll Your Own Adventurer 2

APPS CLOSED

If this is too soon for you, remember to vote for a later due date.

Game NameRoll Your Own Adventurer 2
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeExplore through several, possibly eclectic, pre-made adventures
FlavourRoll Dice, Create a Character!

Introduction
Decided to resurrect this one as it's a personal favourite.

Basically, this is a way for me to pick one of my 108 possible 5e adventures (some official, not all) and a fun way to come up with a character idea you may not have considered before.

If you like dice rolling and randomness, you may like this as well. I am also quite happy for people to roll on this to try to stimulate their own ideas.

The Application
There are two parts to the application.

Part one involves creating your backstory and figuring out what skills your character needs. This starts on the tables below: starting with table 1.

This process works like a flowchart - start with one roll on table 1. If it does not tell you otherwise, roll a 2nd time on table one. If this result doesn't tell you otherwise proceed to table 2 and then table 3. From Table 3, you should start jumping around tables.

DO NOT MAKE A ROLL ON EVERY TABLE!

Keep rolling, going from table to table as instructed, until you get a result saying "you begin your adventure" or something similar. Sometimes this will be with an option to continue rolling: you must make this decision at that point whether to continue rolling or not, you can't roll once more, decide you dislike the result and then choose the other option.

While rolling, you may get results that say "you must take proficiency in". Note these results; they don't actually grant you proficiency in themselves. Instead, when you make your level 1 character you need to combine classes/backgrounds/races/feats in such a way as to have proficiency in all these skills. For example, if a result says: "you must take proficiency in Intimidation" you can, for example, take half-orc as your race to fulfil this. At level one, you need to have chosen a combination of races/classes/backgrounds/feats to grant all the proficiency you got as results at level 1. If this is simply impossible, then try to get as many as possible and make a note of those you could not get. At the next level you Are able to do so, you'll need to multiclass or make some other choice to get these outstanding proficiencies. You may also get other results that grant decreases or increases to starting gold, bonus items or bonus features. Make a note of these.

If you are unsatisfied with your results, you can re-roll. You can also make multiple characters - however, specify which one you want to use.

After rolling your character backstory or backstories, roll a d108. This result will be averaged between all players applying for the starting adventure (and thus the starting level). ONLY ROLL THIS ONCE, EVEN IF YOU ROLLED MULTIPLE BACKSTORIES.

You then have the option to roll for your class (d18), background (d43) and race (d88). These rolls are, however, optional, and remember you may need to have certain proficiencies. You can roll these for fun and ignore any you want to ignore.

After this, you can move onto part two and start making your character. The various backstory parts are a little vague, and sometimes humorous, so there is space for you to interpret and expand.

To generate stats, roll 4d6 6 times taking the highest three of each result. Make one separate roll for each of your potentials characters. You also roll starting gold.

Feel free to roll as much as you want: Trinkets? Bonds? Quirks from Volo's Guide? Class stuff from Xanathar's guide to everything? Have fun with this.

There are two things we're going to do by vote rather than by GM decree:
  • Vote for your preferred starting date - I'll try to pick one that the majority prefer or close to it (favouring later dates)
  • In SECRET TEXT - vote for the 4 other applications you'd most want to adventure with. I'll be basing the final choice of the party on this - only stepping in to break ties.

Your final app(s) will need:
  • Character Name - What do they call you?
  • Race - All on the race table below are allowed
  • Class - All on the class table below are allowed
  • Background - All on the background table below are allowed.
  • Appearance - A picture is useful, but you should still give a description, preferably one I can copy and paste when introducing your character
  • Personality - It helps if you elaborate on how parts of your backstory reflect on your character's attitude today
  • Character Background Story - Should obviously include your roll results, although you can elaborate and mix them up as you see fit.
  • Explanation of how you get your rolled proficiency mechanically (E.g.: I get intimidation from being a half-orc)
  • A level 1 character sheet
  • a d108 roll - which will be used to determine starting adventure
  • Your preferred starting date
  • Your 4 preferred companions

Final Notes
Try keeping all your dice rolls for character generation to a single post: just keep editing it as you add rolls. This is to prevent the application thread from becoming too cluttered. However, when you make your actual character app(s), you can make a new post.

You may keep as many of your rolls secret as you wish. I would suggest copying each result as you get it so you don't have to keep referring back to the tables though.

Variant rules for humans, half-elves or any other 'official' variants are allowed.

At this point, I don't even know what adventure we'll run. Be prepared for that - we may end up with anything: an official wizard's party or a third party adventure. I'd suggest leaving some open space in your character app for hooks and such - assuming your background doesn't give you a nice one to use anyway.

In terms of setting - I'm going to say the Forgotten Realms. This is because pretty much any adventure can slot into the Forgotten Realms and there's a huge amount of resources on it. That said, as there are backgrounds and races from Ravnica and Eberron you have some options: you can either be from those planes but somehow are now in the Forgotten Realms OR you can adapt the race/background to fit. Eg: To justify the Azorius Functionary background you could be a representative of the justice system of a major city or kingdom in the Forgotten Realms. A dragonmark might be a representation of a unique inheritance of your bloodline rather than a physical mark. There is a chance an adventure may take place on another plane - but we'll deal with that if it arises.

I really hope all the tables make sense. If I pick up on a result leading to the wrong table I'll try to change it and notify anyone the change affected, or if you think one does, let me know and I'll change it

I think that's it. So start rolling below on the background tables, starting at Table 1: Parentage . If you have any questions, or things aren't clear at any point, let me know

The Tables
There are 34 background tables, so to save space I have hidden them all behind the spoiler tag below. Start rolling by determining your parents on table 1

Optional Tables
For more randomness, you can also use these to roll your Race (and subrace), Class and Background

Key: PHB = Player's Handbook, SCAG = Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, EEPC = Elemental Evil Player's Companion. TTP = The Tortle Package. MToF = Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, GGtR = Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, UA = Unearthed Arcana, VGTM = Volo's Guide to Monsters, UBRotH = Ultimate Beastiery: Revenge of the Horde, ToA = Tomb of Annihilation

List of Applicants
PlayerRolls Done?Character NameRaceClassBackgroundAppearancePersonalityCharacter Background StoryProficiencies Explained?Character SheetStarting Adventure RollStarting Date SuggestionVotes for Other Players Made?
1: Penbeast0DoneUrime "Gunny" AnguloceHalf-elfSorcererSoldierDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneSeeds of Chaos Done
2: dhibidyDone         Hunger of the Ancient Orb Magic  
3: FlyingJennyDone         Big Bad Bandit Company  
4: delpinatorDoneEerrkAarakocraRogueArchaeologistDoneDoneDoneDone Bad Moon Rising23/12/2018Done
5: PhilDoneBorden JascoHumanBarbarianGladiatorDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneA Lesson in Love Done
6: XyzaDoneKycenHalf-ElfRogueInheritorDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneThe Nerastrim Manor19/12/2018Done
7: RedWolfe77DoneDrarmGoblinMonkAcolyteDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneThe Map with No Names26/12/2018Done
8: North of OrdinaryDone            
9: ReisespeicesDoneAeryalla VelvailyaHalf-ElfDruidOutlanderDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneThe Redemption of Kelvan Done
10: SilkDoneTari VisharaKalashtarShadow SorcererFaction AgentDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneThe Mind Mine12/12/2018Done
11: Haunted PandaDone            
12: MoridainDone            
13: Begon UgoDone            
14: SandyDoneSuarii WizardClan Crafter     The Showdown in Skalintown(22/12/2018 
15: GoliathusDone            
16: StonkDoneSnus MobluKoboldBlood HunterInvestigatorDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneSeeds of Chaos19/12/2018Done
17: silverfeathersDoneLysander WynwraekElf, EladrinBlood HunterFaction AgentDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDeath on the Wall19/12/2018Done
18: TiesknotsDoneAr'lonree SilvertonHalf-ElfMysticHermitDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneThe Temple of Pure Fire21/12/2018Done
19: RetryDoneAlmire CodingTieflingBardSpyDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneChelimber's Descent27/12/18Done
20: GrouchyDoneAndorSimic Hybrid (Aberrant Dragonmark)SorcererSimic ScientistDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneReturn of the Lizard King26/12/2018Done
21: Framm18DoneAlamatos EvercoldTiefling, LevistusRogueUrchinDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneCommon People28/12/18Done
22: KhamlucDoneCyan DeGrandLacHuman (Variant )MysticSpyDoneDoneDone DoneSecrets of Sokol Keep  
23: RylusDoneBarret LeafwindFirbolgArtificerFar TravelerDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneRise of Tiamat28/12/18Done
24: StarSignMasterDone            
25: g047br41nDoneSpyglassWarforgedWarlockHouse AgentDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneThe Nerastrim Manor22/12/2018Done
26: SarsprillaDoneXeiraWinged TieflingWizardCharlatanDoneDoneDone  Fool me Once, Shame on You  
27: ofthetenfoolsDone            
28: syhrinxDone            
29: Superstrength79DoneKilcius of the House SinnellyDispater TieflingRanger (Revised)Faction AgentDoneDoneDoneDoneDonePincer Movement Done
30: DanabDoneOsem NockHuman - variantRogueSoldierDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneBig Bad Bandit Company22/12/2018Done
31: KevinBDoneSu BrokengulfLizardfolkArtificerWaterdhavian NobleDoneDoneDoneDone Just Desserts23/12/2018Done
32: lydkleinDoneSeraphin CirilaHuman (Mark of Passage)SorcererNobleDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneThe Courting of Fire28/12/2018Done
33: GreyenDone            
34: Cristal08DarkmoonDone         The Fathomless Depths of Ill Intent  
35: nickostophelesDone            
36: SSlottsDone         Eye of Xxiphu  

Last edited by Arachobia; 12-23-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 486
dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy
this is the most original character generation idea I have seen in a while!
Dice Parent 1:
1d20 6

Dice Parent 2:
1d20 14

Dice siblings:
1d20 18

Dice leaving home:
1d20 1

Dice training/apprenticeship:
1d20 18

Dice In noble company:
1d20 20

Dice help to a friend:
1d20 15

Dice To the dongeon I go:
1d20 8

Dice Organized crime favor:
1d20 15

Dice Vengeance!:
1d20 7

Dice Dungeon again:
1d20 8

Dice Organized crime again!:
1d20 15

Dice Vengeance again! muwahahahaha:
1d20 13

Dice lost underground:
1d20 20

Dice Destination:
1d20 19

Dice run away!!!!!:
1d20 6

Dice I REALLY like the dungeon:
1d20 12

Dice cellmates crime:
1d20 7

Dice run away again:
1d20 7

Dice dungeon again again again:
1d20 8

Dice organized crime again:
1d20 8

Dice In the navy!:
1d20 11

Dice Survive the wild:
1d20 5

Dice Test of endurance:
1d20 8

Dice Survive the wild:
1d20 8

Dice Favor to a dwarf:
1d20 6

Dice run away!:
1d20 6

Dice Back to the dungeon, can I have my old cell please?:
1d20 16

Dice Be all you can be in the army:
1d20 19

OH THANK THE GODS!

You must take proficiency in Nature, You will have +10% starting gold, You must take proficiency in Stealth and Survival,
You are a recognized hero who rises through the ranks. You will have +15% starting gold and must take proficiency in Athletics. Also, regardless of your Background, you always have the Feature: Military Rank from the Soldier Background. Your life of adventure begins
Dice race:
1d88 26

Dice class:
1d18 14

Dice background:
1d43 40

Dice ADVENTURE!:
1d108 73

Im almost afraid to start again... whew that was alot!

Dice Parent 1:
1d20 11

Dice Parent 2:
1d20 7

Dice siblings:
1d20 5

Dice Leaving home:
1d20 16

Dice searching:
1d20 8

Dice Bar fight:
1d20 18

Dice a favor:
1d20 13

Dice dungeon:
1d20 19

Dice race:
1d88 70

Dice class:
1d18 7

Dice background:
1d43 26

1 parent is a priest, must take proficiency in religion. 2nd parent is a healer, must take proficiency in medicine. I have a younger sister. You leave in search of a family heirloom or some other valuable or powerful item. Good idea: Plying folk with drinks to try to find information. Bad idea: Drinking so much yourself that you start a brawl in the tavern. They say you can't really know someone until you've had a bare-handed fight with them, and this seems to be the case. After fighting to a standstill, you and most of your opponents end up becoming great friends and drown the pain of your bruises in drink and song. You must take proficiency in Athletics. One of your new friends decides to ask you for help. Your friend was no true friend at all! They merely wished to frame you for a crime. They thought that putting you here would be the end of you, but instead, you essentially become the 'boss' of the prison you're in. Your loyal followers arrange for you to be released and even given a bit of gold when you are. You will have +20% starting gold and must take proficiency in Intimidation and your choice of either Deception or Persuasion. Your life of adventure begins

Last edited by dhibidy; 12-14-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1048
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
right-aligned image

Urime "Gunny" Anguloce
Half-elf Dragonic Sorcerer
Soldier

Gunny is deeply tanned with small brass scales where the bones run deep beneath the skin in contrast to pale blond, almost white, hair and beard. His training as a soldier has given him an erect, formal bearing. Restless and quick moving physically, his thoughts tend to trip over each other in his sentences which rarely get completed. His accent and speech is that of the lower class, he can fall back into the speech of his youth but it's been so long it feels more like playing a role.

Gunny talks easily to strangers but can be slow to bond; too many newbies have been killed in his life. Those he trusts have saved his life and he has saved theirs; this is what he is looking for now outside the army. He hungers for companionship but not family; his family prominence embarrasses him and he is sure that he is an embarrassment to them as well. He likes falling in love and has done so several times, though he has no desire to marry, being sure that an adventurer would be a terrible parent.

"My parents were soldiers, officers, heroes actually. Powerful dragon blooded sorcerers for the king. My father was elven, a gold, the perfect gentleman, the perfect officer, might even have been the perfect parent if he'd actually ever been around. But being a hero takes time, focus, concentration, kids distract from that. Who knows, the kingdom might actually have fallen if he hadn't been on the front lines instead of home.

Mother was a hero too, another soldier, human, red. Fiery and beautiful they say. I don't know, she died in some heroic mission or other when I was about a year old. My brother remembers her a little bit but he was maybe 5 so it's mainly stories people tell us. He's a soldier too, by the way. Not a personal sorcerer to the king, at least not yet, but working his way up the ranks. The good son.
Me, I'm the screwup, the ne'er-do-well, the misfit. The golds, the reds, they have the prestige, get the girls, get the glory. I'm brass, we do fire too, but not with the flair of the golds, the power of the reds. No, we are the grunts of the fire sorcerers. But then, who wants to be an officer, play politics, suck up to the right people, not me.

With the whole family tradition, everyone expected me to be a soldier too, go into training, become an officer. Okay, at least everyone that didn't know me well. I was one of those kids that couldn't sit still for 5 minutes at a time, didn't listen, had too much energy. That, and I was probably acting out, seeking attention, compensating for missing parental time. Tell me that then, I'd tell you you were full of it, but now, coming as it does from my girl, she puts up with me, I listen to her, at least sometimes.

In any case, I ran away, packed up, left. You know, I joined the circus. Well, a traveling magic show, bard run, small towns. It was fun, for a bit. Until somebody called a demon, or devil, or something nasty, and it destroyed the show. Really, it blasted most of us to bits, crispy, well-cooked, blackened bits. I'm sort of immune to fire so I lived, the wizard, well sorcerer, that saved the town was immune too. Another red, Satye, told you they were the hero type.

I was still only about 15 so he took me back to his tower. No choice though, he called it apprenticeship, but it was more like slavery. Didn't teach, just fetch and carry, mix and match. So, yeah, I looked into some of his stuff, how else was I going to learn anything. More fire, burned bits, knocked down a couple of interior walls even, the big bang so to speak.

He traded me to another sorcerer, another red. Don't know if Darron paid him for me or he paid Darron to take me away. It wasn't my fault really, I didn't know he had booby trapped the storerooms; I was just curious. That fire was a lot less spectacular but some of the stuff was probably valuable, well actually some was definitely valuable. I wasn't staying around to see what he would do about it, I left, ran, hid.

Followed some travellers, looking for a town, caravan, ship, a way out. They turned out to be baddies, attacked a homestead, killed the family there. But the laugh was on them. They didn't know I was watching, following. When they drank, slept, passed out, I slipped in and robbed the robbers, turned the tables, looted the looters.

Tried to sell the stuff in the next town but didn't think far enough ahead. After all, robbers need sanctuary, fences, places to sell their stuff. Same thing I needed, only I didn't have the prior relationship and they turned the tables back on me, arrested me, threw me in jail.

I'm not a model prisoner, too smart, too much energy. Tried a prison break but got ratted out, snitched on, failed. They sold me to a caravan of slavers. I wasn't a model slave either. Talked the other slaves into fighting back, got them all deaded, killed, all but me and a couple of others. They were saving me for a bit of fun, torture, creative stuff. But, the dice shifted back and the authorities raided them, the army you know, they rescued me.

They didn't know me from Adam, I don't advertise my parents, I'm my own man you know. But the squad leader could see the dragon sign and so I had the choice again. Army or slave. Well, I'd done slave, I'd done army too, at least second hand, but not recently. So, I signed up, 4 year run with 4 on top since they don't let you go while there's a war on.

Turns out I must have listened a bit growing up despite myself. I did good, felt needed, became a corporal, then a sergeant. Now the war's over, we are mustering out, but I'm not the kid I was at 15. Discipline, friends, risking your life, having each others' backs, that's worth something. So, yeah, I'm looking to sign on with your adventuring company. It's not the army but it might be the next best thing, or something better. We will see. "

Dice Results and random story (redone):

Dice x:
1d20 6

Dice x:
1d20 6

Both Parents are soldiers
Dice x:
1d20 6

I have an older brother
Dice x:
1d20 20

I left home to see the world
Dice x:
1d20 16

Found a traveling show which was destroyed by a wizard
Dice x:
1d20 1

His attack didn't stop the coming catastrophy; I barely survived
Dice x:
1d20 2

I returned with the Wizard to his tower
Dice x:
1d20 6

I blew a spell roll, causing damage to the Wizard's laboratory
Dice x:
1d20 7

The Wizard sent me to a villain's lair
Dice x:
1d20 5

ANOTHER WIZARD! (Why me?)
Dice x:
1d20 6

Another disaster at the new Wizard's tower
Dice x:
1d20 19

Escaped to a bandit hideout . . . stole their loot (+10% starting gold)
Dice x:
1d20 7

Captured
Dice x:
1d20 10

Tried to lead prison break, failed; sold to slavers
Dice x:
1d20 13

Tried to lead slave uprising
Dice x:
1d20 8

Total disaster!
Dice x:
1d20 10

Liberated by the army; join the liberators (not many choices)
Dice x:
1d20 20

Parents' early training must have taken, become a hero, add another +15% starting gold, take Athletics skills and have the feature Military Rank (Soldier)

Rolled a few extra 1d20s but it turns out I didn't need them so I deleted them.

Dice Starting Adventure:
1d108 21

STAT ROLLS

Starting funds 112.5gp

Ready to start ASAP

Character Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=78538
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by penbeast0; 12-20-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:54 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83
FlyingJenny
Regardless of what comes from it, this looks like great fun. Let's give it a try!

Dice Adventure!:
1d108 66

Note: The initial result didn't do much for me, so after some banging my head against the wall, I'm just trying again from the top! Adventure roll stays unchanged.

Dice Parent 1:
1d20 15

Dice Parent 2:
1d20 5

Dice Siblings:
1d20 9

Dice Espionage:
1d20 2

Dice To the Dungeons:
1d20 7

Dice Organized Crime:
1d20 7

Dice Criminal Activity:
1d20 16

Dice Flight:
1d20 9

Dice Twist of Fate:
1d20 4

Dice Mine is Vengeance!:
1d20 7

Dice To the Dungeons (Again!):
1d20 12

Dice (Cellmate's) Criminal Activity:
1d20 11

Dice Flight (Again):
1d20 12

Dice Destination:
1d20 15

Dice In Noble Company:
1d20 15

Well, that's an adventure and a half, isn't it? I'll see if I can make sense of it.
---------------------------------
For fun, possible optional rolls

Dice Class:
1d18 2

Redoing the Race roll, it's not a book I have.
Redoing it again, because I somehow ended up with a non-Common speaking subrace, which I can't make work with this background. :P
And the book issue again...
And again!
Dice Race:
1d88 16
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by FlyingJenny; 12-08-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1597
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Hey Penbeast, can I get a template of all those rolls so I can give it a shot?
I'm new to the forum and don't know how to input dice commands yet, and it would be nice to just copy-paste it since you've already gotten it down. I'll edit this post with it once I figure out how.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5942
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
@dhibidy The amount of rolls involving you going to jail were pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Dice Results and random story (tell me if I'm doing this wrong):
So you've made a roll on each table - but you should start with a roll for your parentage and move to a table if a result calls for it. It's sort of like a flowchart -> see how dhbidy and flyingjenny did it. The reason for this is you might not use every table and you might use one table many times. Generally, you probably won't go down in order of the tables more than 3 or 4 times before having to jump around

I'm going to use the dice rolls you made in the order they were rolled rolls as an example of what I mean:

2 (on table 1) = One of your parents was a criminal. Roll on Table 15 to determine what crime(s) they committed. Having the influence of a hardened criminal in your life means your character must take proficiency in Intimidation
15 (on table 15) = Sacrilege/Blasphemy
10 (back to table 1) = One of your parents was an undertaker
14 (table 2) = Three siblings.
1 (table 3) = You were apprenticed or sent to be trained. Roll on Table 4 to determine who by or what as
20 (table 4) = You show up for your lessons and your teacher is dead. Find out who killed them on table 5. Then retrace your steps back to table 3, because you're going to have to try this whole 'leaving home thing' again
11 (table 5) = A devil
2 (table 3 again) = You were apprenticed or sent to be trained. Roll on Table 4 to determine who by or what as
9 (table 4 again) = What could be more honourable and glorious than enlisting as a soldier. Start your service at table 22
5 (table 22) = Your unit is surrounded and only you escape the massacre by fleeing into the wilderness on table 24
9 (table 24) = You run into a dwarf surveying the area for places to mine. They lead you back to civilization, then asks you for a favour on table 18
19 (table 18) = our friend didn't want your help. They actually just wanted to lure you to a party in your honour! That's the good news. Unfortunately, things get a bit out of hand on table 23
7 (table 23) = Your clumsiness, be it alcohol induced or not, results in the inn going up in flames. Flee the repercussions of accidental arson on table 19
13 (table 19) = You evade your pursuers for now, but you know they are never going to be far behind and you must remain alert. You must take proficiency in Perception. Your life of adventure begins

So as you can see this would have used a few tables repeatedly and would not have had a result on each table.

You can use this as your results if you want or roll again. Hopefully with that example and if people look how dhibidy and FlyingJenny did it there'll be no more confusion. Apologies if it wasn't explained clearly.

Another option is to use the first roll on each table you made if that table came up. So the first time you rolled on table 15 you got catpurse as your parent's criminal occupation and you just keep that. Then ignore any table you wouldn't use and re-roll on tables you needed to.

@everyone also remember to do that d108 roll (just once regardless of how many character backgrounds you generate). Average of everyone who applies rolls will determine starting adventure

Last edited by Arachobia; 12-08-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1612
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Excited to apply this was one of my first applications on this site.

Last edited by delpinator; 12-21-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:28 PM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5445
Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil
left-aligned image
Name: Borden Jasco
Race: Human
Class: Barbarian
Background: Gladiator
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Appearance: His mother's ebony and his father's alabaster gave Borden and his brothers their rich brown skin. Both his parents were paragons of power, and Borden lives up to that legacy, standing at six-foot-six and thickly muscled. His curly brown hair is kept short with a neatly trimmed beard to match. He prefers armor which doesn't restrict his mobility, a chain shirt or scales. He arms himself with a length of chain which he uses like a whip, a tactic which earned him the stage name "Rattlesnake" in the slave area where he spent his formative years. He bears a tattoo of a flaming sword and shield upon his chest, marking him as a faithful servant of Tempus.

Personality: Borden's devotion to Tempus was passed on to him by his father, tempered in the forge of Borden's long tenure in the gladiator pits, emerging as a fierce zealotry. Far from a brute, his mother's craft and guile lives on in Borden as well; he is patient, cunning, and tactical. These opposing traits create an odd dichotomy, cautious and slow to anger, but with an explosive righteous fury when provoked. He's well spoken and insightful. He's easily distracted by anything he might interpret as a lead as to the location of his father, and he frequently suspects he's being manipulated by the wizard Archaemaleon, a paranoia that can become a serious impediment to progress.

History: The paladin Preston Jasco and the ranger Borda Krell are legends, part of the four-man party who cast down the necromancer Randall Vexx and destroyed his Necrosis Engine, saving the nearby township of Stanecrest and perhaps the entire world. The bards might tell you theirs was love at first sight, but little could be further from the truth: the two heroes found themselves at odds immediately, Borda's cold reason clashing with Preston's fierce zeal. But years fighting back-to-back against mortal peril forged an unbreakable bond between the two, and they each came to see the other's opposing characteristics as a compliment to their own. The two were married during their final campaign against Vexx, and during their last confrontation with the evil wizard, she told him she was with child.

The now-legendary champions settled in Stanecrest after the defeat of Vexx to raise their family in peace, and to keep an eye on the ruins of Vexx's tower. The couple had three sons, Robert, William, and Borden. When the Wasting Plague struck Stanecrest Preston quickly realized the source was the ruins of Vexx's tower, but he couldn't save his wife, or his two oldest sons. Only Borden, then just eight years old, was not effected. Faced with an impossible choice, Preston trusted his son to a miller and his wife fleeing the town, while he went alone into the ruins to end the source of the plague. He was never seen again. The plague ended and spread no further, perhaps due to Preston's sacrifice, but Stanecrest remains a ghost town to this day.

The miller and his family were ambushed by raiders three days outside of the town, and Borden was taken captive to be sold into slavery. It soon became clear he was a prodigy when it came to combat, and he found himself bought by Roz, the gnomish pitmaster of an illegal underground fighting arena, the Fraternal Order of the Bloodied Blade. As a gladiator Borden quickly earned himself the stage name "Rattlesnake" after his signature weapon, a long steel chain. The bouts were bloody, but rarely ended in death, more show than real combat. But still, Borden remained undefeated until a rival pitmaster challenged his owner to a contest: Borden versus his own champion. Whoever won the bout would claim ownership of the other fighter.

Borden didn't stand a chance. His rival was utterly immune to his strikes, and threw him across the arena without effort. In less than two minutes, Borden was bloodied and blacking out, the hulking monster he was facing not even breaking a sweat. Roz fumed, accusing the other slavemaster of using sorcery to win, but a deal was a deal, and Roz's hand was forced. After a short recovery, Borden met his new master, and was surprised to learn it was Archaemaleon, the wizard who had accompanied his parents into the lair of Randall Vexx all those years ago. "I owed your father a debt." he explained dispassionately "Tell him I've done my duty."

"Thank you." Borden replied "But my father is dead."

The wizard turned back towards the young man, pausing only briefly as he walked out the door. "No, Borden. You will see him again. And when you do, tell him what I've done for you here."

"Wait!" Borden shouted, bolting out the door after him, but the wizard had simply vanished, leaving him no clues as to what had happened to his father, or where he might find him. So began Borden's adventures: the search for his father would lead him across the face of Toril, and along the way he would build around himself a legend to rival that of his parents.

Adventure
Dice Roll:
1d108 103

Starting Date: ASAP

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BordenHeadshot.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	78635  

Last edited by Phil; 12-22-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Xyza
This is a pretty brilliant method of character creation, so much so that it inspired me to (re)make an account here. Still figuring out my schedule and stuff, so don't know if I'm actually applying, but I'll fill in if there's not enough people or something (doesn't look like it's gonna be an issue here). I was doing my rolls off-site before I made this account, so I guess another reason why this isn't really an official application, but my results were pretty intriguing, and maybe fit in with a character idea I've had for a while.

Parents:

5 - A spy, training me to be a spy

17 - A great villain

Villain parent: 18 - a noble

Interesting couple, how they got together would probably make a really fascinating backstory

Siblings: 4 - younger brother

Spying: 3 - You are a terrible spy! Not great result OOC, but pretty funny and makes for a good story

Go directly to jail, do not pass go: 1 - spend a year rotting in captivity

9 - tough but pull through

Jail still: 1 - Still rotting in jail, pretty awful rolls

13 - Pull through easily, must have Survival proficiency

8 - Finally out of jail but owe favor to prison gang

4 - Framed for a crime (17 - Blackmail) and back to jail again

5 - Serve out term, roll with disadvantage for consequences (19-5 = 14 - pull through easily, more survival, guess I'm pretty hardened by jail now)

Searching: 7 - Drinking myself into a bar fight

Fight: 18 - Add Athletics proficiency, my new friend asks for help

Favor: 17 - Well looks like the drunken bar fight friends I just made are just luring me to another drunken party

Another bar?: 6 - I drunkenly set the bar on fire

Running away: 15 - Must take Perception, I get away for now and my adventure begins

So basically, a pretty long story about the child of two devious individuals who is not too great at it themselves, and ends up bouncing between jails and bars, making a lot of sketchy friends but not really getting a good grasp on life. Sounds fun.

Edit: Did a few more character rolls for fun, none of them were nearly as wild/interesting as this one. Definitely going to use this character concept in some campaign

Last edited by Xyza; 12-08-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1066
RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77
Lets Try this out:

Race: Goblin
Dice Roll:
1d88 40

Class:Monk
Dice Roll:
1d18 6

Background: Rakdos Cultist - Can't fit into rolled background
Dice Roll:
1d43 41

Dice Starting Adventure:
1d108 55

Last edited by RedWolfe77; 12-08-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary
Dice Parent One:
1d20 3

Her father was an executioner.

Dice Parent 2:
1d20 7

Her mother was a healer- Must take proficiency in Medicine.

Dice Siblings:
1d20 5

She had a younger sister.

Dice Leaving Home:
1d20 9

She eloped. Scandalous!

Dice Person:
1d20 18

She eloped with her second-cousin. Even more scandalous!

Dice Person Again:
1d20 15

This second cousin is obsessed with a bitter rival. - She must gain vengeance in order to help him.

Dice Rival:
1d20 5

She tries to hunt down husband's rival, gets lost in woods.

Dice Natural Selection:
1d20 16

She meets a druid that is so impressed by her, he helps her to refind the path, bringing her to a caravan. -Must take proficiency in Nature.

Dice Caravan:
1d20 20

She realizes a group of brigands is about to ambush the caravan, and ambushes her instead. The caravan leader gives her a reward and allows her to keep the prisoners. +10% starting gold

Dice Destination:
1d20 13

She ends up in a swamp village turning in the prisoners, but when the plague hits, she feels compelled to help find a cure.

Dice Searching:
1d20 7

She searches the tavern, but ends up starting a brawl.

Dice Bar Fight:
1d20 11

She winds up unconscious. The tavern owner saves her from trouble, only to force her to work off all the damages. Somehow...she overhears a conspiracy and is recruited to infiltrate it...

Dice Espionage:
1d20 4

She got close, too close, to those she was spying on. After professing the truth to her new love...she is turned on and forced to flee.

Dice Flight:
1d20 20

She spots them before they spot her, and arranges for them to meet their own enemies thus earning a reputation for sharp eyes and sharp wit. - Must take proficiency in deception and perception. Your adventure begins!

Last edited by NorthOfOrdinary; 12-08-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
you might want to go with someone who did it right, lol. I just copy and pasted [.DICE="whatever"] 1d20 [/DICE.] changing the name with each roll; and since I thought it showed you as cheating if you ever went back to the post where you roll, I put it in two posts (not sure about that but it happened to me once so I've been avoiding it as best I can since).
Old 12-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
you might want to go with someone who did it right, lol. I just copy and pasted [.DICE="whatever"] 1d20 [/DICE.] changing the name with each roll; and since I thought it showed you as cheating if you ever went back to the post where you roll, I put it in two posts (not sure about that but it happened to me once so I've been avoiding it as best I can since).
You can edit a post with dice rolls. I think it'll only show the 'cheating' text if you edit or change the actual dice rolls in that post. (:
Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyza View Post

Favor: 17 - Well looks like the drunken bar fight friends I just made are just luring me to another drunken party

Another bar?: 6 - I drunkenly set the bar on fire ....
Assuming I use the properly rolled one that Arachobia was nice enough to set up, I think we were at the same party.

And thanks North.

Last edited by penbeast0; 12-08-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1066
RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77
Quick Question for stats. Are we rolling for each stat individually or 4d6 6 time and putting them where I want them?