: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:58 AM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59393
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
January POTM

It's a new year (2019), and a new chance to nominate the best of the best, the top posts of your games.

We can't do it without you, so get out there, and nominate the best prose of the month. It's easy, it's free, and even Squeak can do it.

(technically, he can't, because he's a judge, but if he could, he could do it.)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:27 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11839
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Nominee Sassafras
Game Carrion Crown
GM Sassafras

Reasons:
Not only does Sass figure out a way to keep up with a party split three way, but somehow in the process address the same the same theme throughout each section. What is the truth? What is the law? Why does it matter? By providing multiple perspectives from at least four different NPCs across three different scenes, we get to see some of the complexity that arises as we try to grapple with that question while trying to solve this mystery.

Link
Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19716
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Player Nominated: Kapera

DM: Dressedtojazz

Game: Sovereignity of Winter

Reason: Healing, in fantasy games where hits are taken often, can be a tedious thing to deal with, but in this post Kapera loads the healing bucket with a wonderful description of her gentle care for her allies and it fits so perfectly well with her delicate character concept. If you are drowning in the bottomless cauldron of too-sweet fudge, read further in the post and witness how Kapera also drags out her character's background and turn in into a very witch-like omen of the future to come, as a foundation for her argument for game progress.

Link: Here

Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20040
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Nomination: Skep
DM: Bhelogan

Game: Mysoth - Winds of Change

Reason: Characters have moments when they grow. Often times this comes when they see the consequences of their actions. Skep's character here, 'Red', formerly known as Maxine Orianne Beauvilliers, has had an adversarial relationship with the commanding officer of their militia unit. While out completing an important job for the Captian, tragedy has struck back at home. Everyone in the fort they were assigned to serve in has been turned into an icicle by an ancient white dragon. Looking through the Captains letters with leaders back in the city, Red has learned something about her relationship with the Captian she hadn't know before and grows a lot from it.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Big Piggy Pig Big Pig!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29478
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
Nominee DressedtoJazz
Game Legacy of Fire
GM PIG
Link Original Post

Reason: I am utterly impressed with you, Dressedtojazz. I asked my PCs to draw up a picture of a story in my Stories of Past & Present and jazz just has to go out there and paint a whole canvas. It felt like a period piece, with so many vivid details and historical context of Ustalav that it fits neatly with the history of Golarian.

I look forward to many more stories from him.

Bit of Background: In Katapesh, a far flung arabian setting, we find Hector Grimm as an old harbinger full of hate and fury, enslaved by gnolls and then broken free by the other PCs. The upheaval and conflict in Katapesh as gnolls wreck the country side is violent but at least the Pactmasters (merchant lords of Katapesh) have a vice grip upon civilization. That can’t be said about Ustalav and it’s fractured history of warring counties where dressedtojazz’s PC is from.

In this post we meet a more optimistic and younger Hector falling in love and starting a path that might have been happy if not for the cold Ustalav historical habit of stealing kindness and stability from it’s people. Its one of the things that makes him the hateful PC he is today.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Dastardly Dolphin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7969
Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh
Nominee: Bio
Game: Descent: A dragon's tale
DM: Savoylen

LINK

Reason: Bio is one of the new players to our game and brings bright and fun aspect to the group. This post is a dream sequence where their characters Brin and Polaris, an elf and dragon, are exploring a world created in their mind. The mechanics behind the need for a long sleep is for our dragons to grow, so many of us take the opportunity to bring new character development here. This is the pairs' first sleep and what Bio has created here with the dichotomy of the pair really pulls the reader into their world and relationship. The crash of nature and order combining together in an intense explosion of writing is fantastic.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 PM
Mellivora capensis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2763
NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger NotAHoneyBadger
Nominee: Karhald
Game: Crow-Eater
GM: NotaHoneyBadger

Link

Reason: I've been piling adversity after adversity on poor Karlhad's character, Kilrik, for quite a while without respite. His first "quest" came to a bittersweet conclusion when he finally found the wolf of his literal dreams and her pups. The mother was almost immediately killed right in front of his eyes, and the killer cursed both Kilrik and the wolf pups that were now placed into Kilrik's charge, then left them all stranded on the mountains, cold, starving, and injured. Since then, Kilrik has had to navigate carefully to descend the mountain through storms, treacherous cliffs, and bandits, all while cripplingly injured and caring for three defenseless young wolves.

Jump forward to the present, Karhald's character has lost one of the wolves and must find her before something terrible happens, and was attacked by cannibals. After a rather brutal combat session, Karhald came out victorious, and I gave him the option describing the last cannibal's fate. Karhald used this rather minimal reward to surprising effect, venting his character's - and I suspect his own - anxiety onto the NPC.

This was not simple matter of flashily slaying the bandit to show off how heroic or powerful Kilrik is. No, Karhald used this opportunity to show how cruel and sadistic his character could be, and how far Kilrik is willing to go to protect his pups.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:08 AM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11282
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Player: Yuul
Game: Portage: Rising from Ashes
GM: Kapera

Reason for Nomination: This game has been a lot of fun, and is often full of excellent posts. In this post, Yuul shows off the nature of his character very well. He notices things, and knows much but is proud and eager to prove his worth. He thinks about people in a way that isn't overtly mean, but suggests the perception of being better. A glance and a smooth comment here, a wince at luck as he looks down on someone there. He then goes into proving his knowledge, but his speech is rambling and over loquacious in a way that so embodies the warlock. It was a post that impressed me.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53750
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Nominee: Norse
Game: Rise of the Runelords
GM: Sassafrass

Reason: The scene is this: the party is investigating their missing BFF Ameiko Kaijitsu and have come into her family's glassworks, only to discover the workers all slain and her father encased mid-scream in glass. Goblins have taken over, and are currently mutilating the corpses. I'll avoid the gory details but this is the reaction of Doyle, the party paladin. He immediately sets off to kick green arse and succeeds beautifully, throwing us into combat. DMs dream of this kind of intro to bloodshed that gets everyone energized, but also doesn't remove the party from the immersion and horror of what's going on.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59393
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
this thread will be closing later today. get your noms in before then.