RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18507
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Guardians of the North

Game NameGuardians of the North
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeA land recently abandoned by the empire is in dire need of hardy folk to guard its people from incursions of Trolls and other foul beasts.
FlavourExploration and high adventure!
Plot SummaryNOTE TO ADMINS: I only need the advert, game folder already available.
Summary
*** June 1st 2019, 23h59 EDT ***
Game Name
Guardians of the North

Trolls At Our DoorstepThe world is at war. The north, abandoned by the empire, must fend for itself and has been buckling under the threat of countless troll incursions into their territory. Valejo, outpost and largest human settlement in these otherwise savage lands, has put out a desperate cry for help. Supply lines from the south have been completely cut off and all attempts to solicit aid from the empire have gone unanswered. Although the trolls have always been a thorn in the side of all northern settlements, they have grown increasingly bold and numerous of late. Expeditions which were sent out to learn the cause of this sudden swell in their numbers have not returned.

To make matters worse, the barbarian tribes of the north have taken this time of isolation and danger as an opportunity to raid the civilized outposts of the empire and claim its riches and comforts for themselves. So far, Valejo has withstood their onslaught but the tribes are getting bolder in their attacks and have taken smaller villages and raided farms and lumber yards.

Valejo is a center of commerce and is also home to one of the largest sources of oil and bitumen in the empire with large tar sand deposits found there. This has made this small outpost very wealthy and a tempting target for marauding bandits who have also been plaguing the inhabitants.

The situation is dire. There is danger at every turn and the inhabitants are growing desperate.

Ulfgar Strafgen, stoic dwarf and Mayor of the town of Valejo, has put out the call for help.

Who will answer the call? Who will rise to the occasion and become the heroes this land so desperately needs. Who will become the Guardians of the North?
RebootThis is a reboot of a game that I have been trying to see to completion for some time now. I am determined to see it through to the end.
Guardians of the NorthThe players will be members of a small group of adventurers who have answered Mayor Ulfgar Strafgen's call. The Guardians will have 3 to 5 members in their Affiliation, depending on interest and quality of the applications I receive. I am looking for interesting characters with rich backgrounds and fascinating personalities. This will be a reboot of an old game. Expected posting rate will be 1 or 2 per week.
Applications
Applications should follow a fairly standard format with, at minimum, the following info:

Name:
Race:
Class(es):
Intended Role: (Damage dealer? Skill monkey? Tank? Crafter? Blaster? Summoner? Debuffer? Buffer? Battlefield Controller?)
Physical Description:
Personality:
Background:
Alignment:

The format need not follow the above example but should be easy to read and contain at least that much information. I would ask that spoiler tags be used for lengthy descriptions. I am looking for good role players with interesting stories to tell. The Background should double as a writing sample to an extent but I would encourage you to provide an additional sample that showcases your writing ability. This sample should include your character since it is an additional opportunity for me to get to know them.

Please leave a post with a link to your application once you feel it is complete.
Character Creation
Accepted SourcesAll Paizo material. DSP Psionics are ok. Occult Classes are ok. Path of War, only Stalker, Warder and Warlord classes are permitted. I am open to other sources on a case-by-case basis. I am open to 3.5 material on a case-by-case basis. I will be using the Flaw rules from 3.5 Unearthed Arcana book p. 92.
Limited GestaltWe will be using the Gestalt rules as they appear in the 3.5 Unearthed Arcana p. 72. However, we will be doing so only in a limited way.
If a character belongs to any of the following Tier 4, 5, or 6 Classes, he or she can apply the Gestalt rules and level in another Tier 4, 5, or 6 class simultaneously. If a character belongs to any class not on this list, they cannot apply the Gestalt rules at all and will progress in only 1 class at a time. Note that this does not in any way modify the usual multi-class rules, characters can multiclass to their heart's content within the boundaries of the rules. As an addendum, we will not be using the Variant Multiclass Rules.

The following classes would be allowed to Gestalt:

Tier 4: Adept, Barbarian, Unchained Barbarian, Bloodrager, Archetyped Brawlers, Hunter, Kineticist (optimally), Martial Master and/or Mutation Warrior, Medium (without archmage or hierophant), Ranger, Shifter, Slayer.

Tier 5: Vanilla Brawler, Cavalier, Fighter, Gunslinger, Kineticist (blaster), (chained) Monk, Ninja, (chained) Rogue, Unchained Rogue, Samurai, Swashbuckler (ACG), Vigilante, Archetyped Monks, Unchained Monk.

Tier 6: Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Vanilla Monk, Vow of Poverty Monk, Warrior.
  • Characters will be built using 40 point buy.
  • Maximum starting stat with point buy is 18, before racial and level adjustments.
  • Characters will start with 71,000 XP, using Fast Advancement, so will be level 10.
  • Optimization level of the character can be high, but don't break the game. Use your judgement.
  • Unchained Monks can take any Achetype normally available to Normal Monks provided the requirements can be adjusted with a minimum of complexity.
  • Characters can have 2 Traits, 1 Drawback and 2 Flaws3.5 book Unearthed Arcana p.92*
  • Starting Gold will be standard WBL for 10th level characters (62,000 gp). No more than 15,500 gp can be spent on a single item. An additional 33,000 gp is granted for your character's preferred item. This additional amount is for a single item only and can be anything you want. If you have gold left over from this amount it will be lost, it cannot be transferred to purchase additional equipment. By the same token, funds from your normal equipment allotment cannot be transferred to increase this amount. Spontaneous casters cannot spend more than a total of 15,500 gp on Page of Spell Knowledge or their equivalents.
  • Max HP for every HD.
  • Firearms of any kind are banned. Mundane technology has not progressed to gunpowder on the world of Origin.
  • We will be using Background Skill Rules.
  • We will be using the Feat Tax rules fix.
Monstrous RacesI may be open to monstrous races on a case-by-case basis and only if the idea is very good and the proposal is well written. I have a preference for humanoid characters, however. No races greater than 20 RP will be considered.

Please do not feel you have to create the character immediately.
PsionicsI will be using Diminished Effects rules variant for Psionic/magic transparency. Dispel psionics might have a 50% chance to work against magic, and vice versa for dispel magic to affect powers, while creatures with power resistance will be treated as having spell resistance equal to half their power resistance. Additionally, the Spellcraft skill for manifesters is renamed to psicraft, and skill points in one skill do not give any training in the other. Similarly, the Use Magic Device skill for psionic items is instead Use psionic Device, and skill points in one skill do not give any training in the other.
Campaign SettingThis game will be taking place in my homebrew world of Origin. Click on Origin to find the game thread and other miscellaneous information about the setting. It is a work in progress but I plan to flesh it out as I go. Main story points most characters would know about the world:

Regarding Homebrew

*** June 1st 2019, 23h59 EDT ***

Last edited by LeoByron; 05-23-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Q&a

Q&A

Last edited by LeoByron; 05-12-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Applications so far

Last edited by LeoByron; 05-26-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2601
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Old 05-04-2019, 01:05 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Old 05-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Old 05-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Valornor Valornor
Didn't realize it started way up a 10th level, no thank's. Best of Luck!

Last edited by Valornor; 05-04-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics

@Valornor: I like characters who have established themselves a little. This story is something of an epic tale and the characters are meant to be movers and shakers on the world stage. Thank you for the well wishes.

Last edited by LeoByron; 05-04-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Back in green

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9935
DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring
Good to see you again Leo. I guess it's fair to say that the Githyanki are one of your "things"?

Clearly a lot of background lore to look through, but a few questions first
  • Are the 40 points meant to be used in the old 3.5 point buy system?
  • Could we submit flaws from outside the 3.5 SRD for approval? I'm initially feeling I'd like to apply with a martial character but it seems most of the linked flaws would run directly counter to that. Dragon magazine has apparently put out quite a few.
  • Are there any particular styles of fighting/equipment typical to the empire, esp the north? I get a very "Roman empire telling the roman-british to "look to their own defense" vibe
  • Is a significant portion of the combat in this game likely to take place outside? Would investing in mounted combat be something I could make use of or just mean that I need to take care of a mount?
Old 05-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12866
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Posting interesr
Old 05-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Hail Duke! Long time no see.

To the questions:

1- This is a PF game, therefore, we are using the PF point buy system. I left the door open to some 3.5 material to be included on a case-by-case basis, but the chassis remains Pathfinder.

2- You can submit flaws outside the SRD for approval on a case-by-case basis.

3- For style, think late medieval period, full plates and such for knights and wealthy soldiers. Actual equipment will vary according to resources. Tech is pre-renaissance levels, just before gun powder.

I certainly see some parralels with the Imperial dynamic of Roman times, how
ever, there must be some reason the north was so suddenly abandoned. It is not widely known as we begin our tale.

4- Mostly outdoors so mounted combat will often be possible. Keep in mind we begin in late winter and snow creates a lot of difficult terrain.

Last edited by LeoByron; 05-04-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2743
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
Interested...
Race: Vanara
Class: Brawler (Snakebite Striker) 1, Fighter (Brawler) 3, Hunter (Feral) 6 - VMC Wizard Air (Smoke)
Main Role: Reach Melee'r
Old 05-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Just to get basic bones up:

Name:
Felix A.K.A Warder 234

Race:
Forgeborn
Class(es):
Warder
Alignment:
Neutral
(He would be good but he is gullible)
Intended Role:
Tank/Battlefield Controller/Slight (De)buffer

Physical Description:

Personality:
Having only bits and pieces of his memory Felix relies on a mix of his programming and feelings to figure out what is good and evil and what actions to take. This leads him to be a bit gullible and often fall back on his defensive nature. He likes making friends though this has gotten him in trouble a few times because he is not the best judge of character and is often times easy to deceive because of his trusting nature. The friends he does make find that he is a stalwart ally that has no problem holding back impossible odds if that's what it takes for him to protect them. Because he is still trying to relearn everything he once knew he often asks questions that make him look unintelligent but in fact he is very intelligent and learns very quickly even when people are not willing to teach him. Since he awoke he has been treated poorly when people find out that he is not completely human so he tries to hide that fact and has a deep seated fear that he will never be accepted if people find out. Due to this he keeps his visor closed and his armor on unless he is alone.

Background:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Felix.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	80006  

Last edited by Rylus; 05-09-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 409
MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise MurderInParidise
Interested, will come up with a concept.

Last edited by MurderInParidise; 05-04-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I settled on Forgeborn, i think it will provide some unique and interesting RP possibilities.

Last edited by Rylus; 05-04-2019 at 04:29 PM.