RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21700
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
The Eye of Solaris

NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE: OFFICE IS CLOSED!

Game NameThe Eye of Solaris
Game SystemStarfinder
ThemeSpace Opera, First Contact, Exploration and discovery
Plot Summary

The Eye of Solaris

Apocalypse Earth Campaign Setting

- "Once, long ago, they walked among the stars like giants...vast and timeless. The sea of stars is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is the Living Infinite..."

right-aligned image
The universe is huge and you are small, insignificant, your life is a whisper ready to fade away in the infinite of time and be forgotten. That may be true, however, your mere existence is nothing short of a miracle, countless variables have to be perfectly aligned for an intelligent lifeform to develop. So far you got lost in the cycle of your society, a nest of distraction, spending most of your time stuck in a routine that will only lead you to a meaningless death. What are you going to do with the little time that was given to you? For best or for worst your comfortable and boring life took a wide turn the day of the flash in 2020.

The flash was a giant cloud of solar plasma drenched with magnetic field lines from the Sun during long-duration solar flares and filament eruptions. This phenomenon destroyed most active electronic devices and power infrastructures on earth. It took more than two decades for the nations of the world to recover, many actually collapsed. During that time, several wars were waged for resources, major alliances were made between nations and some government shutdown before becoming rogue. In those time of chaos, megacorporations took advantage of the situation and became massively global, with all but the smallest corps owning multiple subsidiaries and divisions around the world. They are superpowers, with the largest corporations having far more political, economic, and military power than even the most powerful nation-states. With their powers, the corporations were able to acquire sovereign territory on the lands they own and immune to any laws of the country within.

The sun rages frequently with more flares and instability, causing frequent disaster on earth. Fortunately, some new technologies were developed to adapt the power infrastructures of the world. The population couldn't be protected from been bombarded with radiations, human DNA started to mutate over two decades and millions of new cancers were reported in the first year. For most victims, their condition ended up in terrible death, mutations, and a few developed superpowers. The first transhumans were born. Private corporations and government invested massively in genetic and bioengineering to study those new gifts, sometimes performing illegal human experiments. It got out of control and it took a while for the governments of the world to agree on new international laws and proper enforcement of those rules. Yet, a lot of secret labs operate without impunity. As of today the cause of the flash still remains a mystery, a lot of scientists are studying the sun and hope to be the first to explain what is happening and find a solution to those recurring catastrophe.

right-aligned image
Tokyo 2043
2043, October 22nd, 2000 hours, 23 years after the flash
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda

- " Gentlemen, let's try this again and this time please leave out the pleasantries. What I'm looking at? "
normal image without text wrap
Hideki Takayama, Chairman of Mitsubishi Group
The bald man looks at the projection on the holographic screen with his only functioning eye. There's a squad of three suits coming from Europe, sitting in front of the massive wooden desk. One of them, Britain's leading astronomer is leading the show. - " Of course Mr. Takayama. " The screens show several sequences of solar flares and storms from the last couple of years. A small black dot appears on the sun at each iteration of the sun raging. - " As you can see this foreign object hover in heliosynchronous around mercury, always facing the sun. The object can only be seen during the powerful magnetic interference of those storms, otherwise it's completely invisible to our satellites. " The businessman leans over his desk. - " I suppose you didn't come here to tell me that's an asteroid? " The astronomer's face remained stoic. - " Asteroid can't maintain such a perfect orbit, and certainly not appear during Geomagnetic storms. " The scientist presses a button with his remote control and there are rays wavelengths that appear on the screen under the images. - " The object is emitting what we believe to be X-ray transmissions that we can't understand yet and have the unusual configuration of a crescent. To be clear sir, this is most likely an artificial object. We can't get clearer images because of all our orbiting telescopes that were disabled two years ago. " Unknown to the four-man, a tiny intruder made it under the CEO's desk.

Takayama-san sits back straight on his large leather chair and turns his back on them by rotating to look at the mighty city of Tokyo through the large windows of his office. It's night and the megapolis is vibrant with artificial light. - " You should have led with that son, time is precious, time can't be bought. " He turns back toward his guess and refrains from asking if they are sure, they must have verified hundred of times before coming to him. The Asian man thinks that they might be desperate to seek help from the private sector - " Then... why are you here prime minister? How can I help? " The older British man in the room adjust his jacket while the scientist takes his seat now that his presentation is finished. The screen close and the light slowly dimming up. - " Takayama-san, we know that you are working on your own space program in secret since most governments had to shut down their own program since the flash. " The prime minister of Britain is in office since two terms and have guided his country back into the European Union. He's a highly respected politician in those days. - " I have a report from the MI6 that you are planning a launch to Mars in less than a decade, we need you to consider joining forces with Europe and our allies to organize a men mission to investigate this foreign object instead. " The cunning Japanese consider the offer and take his time to answer. - " I see, I suppose building your own shuttle will take decades and the Chineses or Russians may beat you to it. " The experienced politician hide his embarrassment that they have to rely on a corporation as a last resort. - " We know that you are a personal friend of the Japanese Prime Minister, he assured us that you were a patriot and won't let that happen. I don't have to tell you sir what this discovery could mean. " Takayama answers spontaneously. - " First contact... " The third man in the room, a middle-aged Japanese in a suit, remained mostly silent until then. He's the Chief Cabinet Secretary. - " I'm sorry again that the prime minister couldn't make it, the war in Korea is taking all his attention. My government will support Mr. Takayama decision in this matter. "

There's some tension in the room as the trio trying to read the chairman poker face. - " Politicians make bad business partners, but those are unusual times I suppose. It's my lifework to prepare for the Mars mission and travel to the stars myself. Reconfiguring and preparing my ship for traveling close to the sun in the middle of those flares will require time and a lot of ingenuity. " The British minister nods.
- " We are ready to put the brightest minds of Europe on this and share the cost with your corporation. "
- " I'm sure you do, we'll also need to let the Americans in. Their space program is still advanced and they have techs that will take too long for us to engineer otherwise. We'll need serious help to get there first. "
- " Agreed. I'm sure we can arrange that. "
- " I only have two formal requests, we can figure out the details later. First, my corporation should be the only contractor involved, with full access to any technologies or scientific data we'll be gathering. Finally, I want someone I trust to be part of the mission to represent my interests, no question asked on my choice. "
- " Alright, I will convey your conditions to the special committee Mr. Takayama. " The two men shake hands on it.

right-aligned image
Agent Firefly
An hour later
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda

An intrepid fly manoeuver between the skyscrapers in the middle of the evening making his way back from the Mitsubishi group headquarter. The bug dodges an unmanned helicopter, diving down and following a wall of windows from a one hundred stories building. It stops his course in the middle of the building and flies across the street on top of a smaller building that gives a good vantage point. Landing on the bare naked shoulder of a blonde woman sitting on the edge of a roof gazing at the city. She grabs the electronic insect and delicately stores it in a pocket from her belt.

Activating a communication device implanted in her head, she appears to be speaking to her self. Отчетность 695321234-Гамма с кодовым названием Firefly."
A man with an Asian accent answer. - " Confirmed. Report Firefly. "
- " Mission accomplished, meeting recorded, transmitting data. "
She presses a few buttons on her wrist computer and the data get transmitted by satellite in a couple of minutes.
- " Received. Standby. "
There's a silence for a while, the athletic woman waits patiently on her perch.
- " 哦,我的上帝!I mean... Well done, the boss will be pleased. "
- " Instructions? "
- " Report to the extraction point, you are done here. "
- " Confirmed. Firefly out. "
The blonde hops on her feet and disappears into the shadows of the city as a new space race begins.

right-aligned image
Space Ship Hikari
2052, April 2nd, 1300 hours, 32 years after the flash
Japan, Tokyo, Yoshinobu Launch Complex

- " Konichiwa Japan, we apologize to interrupt our normal program. This is Saito Daisuke at your service for a piece of flash news coming from Yoshinobu. We have our reporter Watanabe-san on site. "

The screen changes to an Asian female reporter in the late twenties. - " This is Watanabe Yoko live for NHK news. You can see behind me the Yoshinobu Launch Complex and the two new shuttle, This mean Light. This is the shuttle the party is leaving with.Hikari and This mean Darkness. The second shuttle is a backup shuttle.Yami. We have been waiting impatiently for some movement and finally, the launch seems imminent. We saw about between ten to twelves astronaut that made it into the first shuttle named It means lightHikari. Unfortunately, the government didn't provide any information, and the Mitsubishi group that built the two ships refused all our interviews. "

The news anchor is not visible, but his voice can be heard on talking to the reporter from the studio. - " Thank you Watanabe-san, can you please do a summary of the key takeaways of the last years for our audience? "

- " With pleasure. It all started, when the information was leaked to the media that the Mitsubishi group was working in secret on revolutionary shuttles since at least ten years decades now. They are working in cooperation with the Japanese government and several other nations such as the United States and the European Union. Our government classified the whole operation. However, we were able to get inside intelligence that military personnel is part of the mission and that the shuttle aimed to reach Mercury in less than one hundred days. Other report says that at least thirty billion credits were spent in this endeavor. "

- " This is very concerning that the nations of the world would spend so much to send soldiers into space when half the global population lives in misery since the beginning of the flash. "

- " Correct, we are demanding answers, but the government won't organize a press conference before the ship reach his final destination. They claim that it's a matter of national security. The perimeter is heavily guarded, nobody is allowed in and all the staff wasn't allowed to leave the launch site for six months now to keep the secrecy and prevent foreign interference. "

The shuttle began to shake far behind the reporter. The main engines ignite six seconds before liftoff, the entire orbiter rattled and shuddered like a skyscraper in an earthquake. A deep rumble shook the cabin as the main engines came up to full thrust. The solid rocket boosters ignited, giving a massive kick in the back to the crew as they blasted the ship off the pad. The pounding exhaust from the twin boosters shook continually as they accelerated beyond 3Gs, ripping through the lower atmosphere under seven million pounds of thrust. The reporter can only witness in awe the ship as the smoke engulf her.

Timeline

2020 - The Flash
left-aligned image
The flash begins, creating a massive catastrophe in the world. Without power and water pump, most cities of the world fell into chaos. In the first two years, 100 million people died mostly from starvation as large urban center couldn't get resupplied anymore. The largest death toll was in the overpopulated area of India, China, South-East Asia, and South America. The global economy crashed badly with no choice to close the stock market indefinitely. The next years were grim as well, but slowly things stabilized and in 2025 most metropolis of the developed countries are all powered again.

Africa never really recovered with entire countries back into the stone age or controlled by warlords and exploited by China for their resources in impunity. South Americas got their head out of the water around 2035 by finally forming their own regional alliance after years of negotiation led by Brazil, Argentina and Chile. India is still in big trouble today, crumbling under heavy pollution and starvation. They were severely hit by a nuclear catastrophe a few days after the flash, two reactors from an old power station north of Mumbai in Tarapur did a meltdown. Several battles happened in the last years between India and Pakistan at the border, they could avoid total war so far, but with China also putting pressure in the region, this is a melting pot.

2026 - Chinese Expansion
left-aligned image
Desperate for resources, China began a series of aggression against their neighbors. With the United States clearly dealing with problems of their own increasing their isolation and protectionist policies, there was nobody anymore to interfere with their plans. The first major step was the invasion of Taiwan, claiming that they were acting for humanitarian reasons and called for help by the local Taiwanese government. Japan was taken by surprise and couldn't intervene in time to help their ally. At gunpoint, the Taiwanese government is disbanded and become truly one with China. Europe and the world community violently condemned this, but nobody had the balls to take military action against China. In total control of the South Chinese Sea, China claimed hundred of islands disputed with Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippine in the last decades. Constructing military bases, port and so on China showed their muscles in the Pacific. By that time the Japanese navy was finally ready to intervene and forced China to stop annexing lands with the help of all the other nations navy in the region

2042 - Sino-Korean war
left-aligned image
During the first year after the flash, the North Korea regime collapsed after the flash destroyed beyond recovery their old power infrastructure causing a permanent blackout. This triggered an invasion of the Korean peninsula by China with the support in equipment and intelligence from the Russian. The USA with their politics of isolation refused to intervene directly and already started to sold half their military assets in the Pacific to the Japanese. Japan decided to side with the Korean to prevent China to gain more power in the region so close to the Japanese border. After a couple of bloody years, the war ended without a clear winner and the invaders accepted to leave Korea in exchange for some concessions. After this moral victory against mighty China, Japan and Korea established itself a clear post-flash superpower in the Pacific and a lot of minor nations in the Pacific joined a mutual commercial and defensive pact around Japan and Korea. The end of this war marked the beginning of a second cold war, on one side China and Russia, opposing Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, and most of south-east Asia.

2052 - Spaceship Hikari Launch
left-aligned image
Under the seal of secrecy, a new revolutionary spaceship named Hikari was launched in Japan. A second identical ship named Yami is getting prepared for launch.

The post-flash superpowers
China
left-aligned image
Mighty China under the communist leadership was able to recover quickly from the flash, imposing martial law on his citizen and curfew in cities for a decade. Unfortunately millions of Chinese in the countryside died from hunger during the post-flash crisis, this was judged as a necessary sacrifice by the military to secure China future. His close alliance with Russia secured a beneficial exchange of resources such as gas and petrol. China urgent need for natural resources motivated them to wage several wars against their neighbors, notably in Korea for several years and in South-Asia. They also got a serious foothold in Africa to exploit natural resources. As of today, the country is not involved in military conflicts anymore, but the tension is enormous with Japan and US. The city of Shanghai and Hong Kong are booming as two of the largest commercial and financial center of Asia next to Tokyo. Still mighty China has a lot of challenges ahead, with low supplies of drinkable water, overpopulation, depleted natural resources, and hellish pollution from their industries.

Japan
left-aligned image
Of all the countries of the world, Japan is the one who gained the most power during the post-flash crisis. Japan already invented several technologies to protect their power infrastructure against solar flare and similar phenomena before the flash and quickly get back to speed. In a very short amount of time, they were able to restore their power grid for critical industries and mass transit. They quickly became again an economic powerhouse, but still facing a serious demographic challenge with an aging population. Immigration became over the years a top priority. On the diplomatic side of things, the tension with China and several other countries increased when they refused to share their latest power grid technologies and competition for strategic resources in the Pacific after the flash. The Japanese government is still a democracy but a succession of right side politicians took control of the country and invested massively in technology, science, and military. The imperial family remains a powerful symbol for the people and became more visible in the crisis that followed the flash. Tokyo is now the largest technopolis of the world, with large centers of research in robotics, bioengineering, and aerospace.

USA
left-aligned image
The United States of America had a hard time to recover from the flash. The country wireless and power infrastructure weren't as advanced as his Asian rivals, it was particularly damaged by the flash. The endless debate and political chaos between the president, Senate and the House that followed locked down the government. The collapse of Mexico forced America to take on millions of refugees before they could efficiently close the border. This caused a lot of civil unrest for years in the southern states. In the north, Canada had been severely weakened as well by the flash and is more or less a colony of the US at this point, sharing the same army and federal police. The united states became more isolated and focused on their domestic needs, often called fortress America by the other nations. With the help of Canada, the US has access to one of the largest reserve of drinkable water and natural resources of the world. However, USA lost a lot of his power in the other regions of the world and stopped to involve themselves in foreign crisis and conflicts, abandoning most of their base in the middle-east and sold half of their military assets in the Asia-pacific region to the Japanese. USA is still a superpower with one of the largest militaries in the world, next to China.
Europe
left-aligned image
Before the flash the European Union was in disarray after the Brexit, followed by the Greece and Spain bankruptcy. Everybody fending more and more for themselves. The flash severely crippled most of the countries of the continent, leaving only Germany and France able to leave an hopeless economic battle with Asia's giants and the USA with their isolation policies. This was a turning point for the European, they had no choice to join forces to survive and restore the European values of human rights and democracy. Great Britain came back into the fold and a new charter for the Union was signed. Europe position himself as a major economy with a decent defense force that was tested against Russia who tried to annex by force Ukraine in the chaos that followed the flash. Most of the world currencies crashed after the flash and the Switzerland banks developed a reliable and secure cryptocurrency simply called credits that have been adopted globally.

Country Enemies Economic Power Military Power
China Japan, Korea, USA #1 #1
Japan China, Russia #2 #5
USA China, Russia #3 #2
Europe Russia #4 #4
Russia Europe #5 #3
Korea China #6 #7
India China, Pakistan #7 #6

ReligionsWith technologies and sciences breakthrough rising quickly, organized religions are getting weaker. There's a rise of sects and doom singers that think the flash is somehow divine related, but that's about it. Most organized religion has a large problem of funds and is losing a lot of credibility as the errors and secrets of their past are uncovered. No cleric or representant of Christianity, Judaism or Islam has developed divine powers so far.

Here are some philosophies that are rising since the flash which is the following.

The Cycle: Introduced to Earth by astronomers Buddhist monks of Asia, the
philosophy teaches that existence is an endless cycle. Stars are born, die, and are born again, alternately bringing
life to the universe and destroying it. The balance of the cosmos rests on the Cycle, and it connects everything in the universe. The cycle teaches that through reincarnation and examining one's past
lives, one can reach enlightenment.

The Neo Shinto Faith: A renewal of the Shinto faith philosophy is rising a little bit since some of their clerics have developer divine powers. The heat of a sun, the power of wind, and the beauty of a wild plant are all proof of the complexity and power of nature and all the spirits that live in all things. The Neo Shinto Faith teaches respect for nature and living in balance with the environment.

Who are the heroes of the story?
right-aligned image
Your character has been chosen to be part of the mission because he has a unique skill to offer to the mission. He either applied or was approached. There's a crew of NPCs already listed that are the skeleton crew that keeps the ship running. The PCs have trained together as a versatile away team that will get on the ground first and be able to tackle any kind of various situation. Keep that in mind.

1.Name:
2.Age:
3.Class:
4.Race: Human or Android
5.Physical description: You may post an image, but provide a physical description in words regardless.
6.Personality: Self-explanatory, give an idea of how your character behaves in public and how he's like.
7.NPC relationship (minimum 2): Talk about your relationship with two of the NPCs of the crew. They can be friend, rival and so on.

8.PCs relationships (2 minimum): What would your character first impression of the other PCs members that are part of the space program training? You can assume they know a bit of their history and background that you can read in the applications. Consider that all applicants are part of the space program training.. You can collaborate with the other players on that if you want a more in-depth relationship between your characters in the world. Characters not chosen may become NPCs in the world.

9.Background: Talk about your character past, goals, fear, and weakness. Of course I expect to see there why your character decided to join the space program and take that risk.

RP Sample: No need, focus more on the other things I'm asking please. Your background story should be enough to show off your writing skills.

Technical DetailsHere are the character creation rules.

Game System: Starfinder
Posting Frequency: 1/week minimum
Level: 1
Alignment: No evil, if your character was chosen for the mission he displayed abilities to work in a group.
Point Buy: We'll follow the page 18 buying ability scores rules
Starting Wealth: Everybody will go into space with a total gear of 2000 credits provided by the space program. The ship has an armory so you don't need to purchase guns or armors. This is an armed mission.
Flaws: We won't use the flaws system
Religions: There's no scientific proof that gods exist, but you can have one of the many religion of earth

Few words from the DMIf you read that far, I'd like to thank you for your interest. First I'd like to give a warning that this is a fantasy setting. Please don't take personal anything in the story if somehow your hometown blows up or your motherland becomes a villain in the campaign. That been said I have a fair amount of experience with science fiction stories with d20 future and Starwars d20, but it's my first Starfinder campaign. So that's why I choose a story that involves earthlings been the first to explore space beyond the moon and introduce gradually technologies, ships and eventually other intelligent lifeforms to the story.

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-17-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Rules overview
RacesYou character is human or Android.

As far the general public is concerned, the existence of other intelligent lifeforms is the domain of science fiction until now. Androids are advanced, the entertainment industry and the need for a workforce in aging populations were two main drivers of the development of this technology. With the rise of complex AI, the first Androids were born. They can simulate emotion but are not quite sentient and fully independent yet. Androids are machines at the service of men.

Androids can't do magic, so the Technomancer and mystic classes are not available to them.

ThemesHere's an overview of the themes with a few thought to fit the setting.

Ace Pilot: You have to be a ranking officer of a nation's airforce or retired. I don't plan ship to ship fighting in the first arc of the campaign, however we do need a pilot, PC or NPC. If you choose that path, make sure you can do plenty of other things than piloting.
Bounty Hunter: There's plenty of jobs out there for a good bounty hunter, your primary employers are the corporations.
Icon: Popular music, artists, actors are stronger than ever to entertain the crowds.
Mercenary: You are probably a former military, hired by security firm, corporations or rich family.
Outlaw: The world is a very chaotic place with a high crime rate in most large cities of the world.
Priest: Magical healing is extremely rare and unheard of by the general population.
Scholar: Science and knowledge is power!
Spacefarer: You have to be part of the space program of one of the main nations or at least a recent recruit.
Xenoseeker: There's hundreds of scientist that are looking toward the start seeking alien life. Most of them work for the government or universities.
Themeless: A personal path of your own, is that not what is it to be human?

ClassesHere's an overview of the classes. A skeleton crew of NPCs are listed. They are meant to crew the ship, while the PC party is an away team that has been prepared for exploration in a hostile and unknown environment.

Envoy: Often in the service of negotiation for corporation or government. We need an ambassador\negotiator kind of character in case the first contact is made.
Mechanic: Things doesn't get fix on their own in space!
Mystic: Magical healing is extremely rare and unheard of by the general population. They usually hide their abilities or end up as lab rat at the mercy of government or corporation. Not available for androids. Be aware that I will select only one spellcaster for the campaign maximum, either a mystic or technomancer.
Operative: Each government, corporation or even rich families have operatives at their services. Some are mercenaries and work for themselves.
Solarian: In the world you might one of the few who achieved this kind of enlightenment in the current era. I will need a good explanation of how it happened.
Soldier: There are millions of soldiers and mercenaries in the world.
Techomancer: Magical abilities are extremely rare and unheard of by the general population. They usually hide their abilities or end up as lab rat at the mercy of government or corporation. Mages on earth get their knowledge usually from Wizards of the ancient world. Not available for androids. Be aware that I will select only one spellcaster for the campaign maximum, either a mystic or technomancer.

ArchetypesIt's my first Starfinder game, to keep things simple this won't be allowed for now.

Skills and FeatsI have no particular comments except make sure your choice of skills and feats reflect your background. You character may never have been to space yet, at best you can be an astronaut that did couples of mission in space. Keep that in mind or I will question your choices.

Technologies overview
WeaponsWeapons are stored on the ship at a central location. You automatically get access to the following from the armory for free and there's plenty of ammunition on board.

Knife, Survival
Dueling sword, tactical
Longsword
Starknife, tactical
Laser Pistol, Corona
Semi-auto Pistol, Tactical
Laser Rifle, Corona
Autotarget Rifle
Artillery Laser, Corona
Machine Gun, Squad
Shirren-eye rifle, tactical
Frag Grenade II
Smoke Grenade

For now weapon fusions won't be available to keep things simple.

Armors
right-aligned image
The following armors are available for all the crew with the color of the uniform.

Stationwear, flight suit
Carbon skin, graphite
D-Suit
Golemforged plating I

For now armor upgrades are only available until Level 1 in the inventory of the ship.

Equipment, technological items and other purchasesAll level 5 items and lower exist on earth and known by the general public. Anything beyond that either doesn't exist or is a well-kept secret by government or corporations.

AugmentationAll level 3 item and lower exists on earth and known by the general public. Anything beyond that either doesn't exist or is a well-kept secret by government or corporations.

ComputersMost computers on earth accessible by the public are tiers 5 or less. Corporations and governments have supercomputers that go beyond that.

Magic Items and Hybrid itemsThose are unknown from the public. If you play a Technomancer or mystics you know they exist, but most of them are in museums or private collections, their owners clueless that they possess magical qualities from their owner.

VehiculesLevel 4 vehicules and lower exist. The list in the book is very short.

SpaceshipsAs far the general population knows, only the shuttle type of ship exist. That's the kind of shuttle that can fly to the moon with a crew, it has a tier of 1\4. Drift engines have not been discovered yet on earth. China, Japan, and the USA have been working on a more advanced shuttle to be the first to send men to Mars, but the flash severely impacted their progress. Of course, this is all about to change in the campaign somehow.

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-14-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
The Ship - Hikari
left-aligned image

Engine: Hikazi's main drive is a dual ion engine that generates power to break down molecules of a fuel material to create ions, and then expels them by means of a magnetic impeller. It doesn't provide as effective a mass-thrust ratio as the fusion torch, but it's more fuel efficient, and its exhaust is not nearly as dangerous. Ion engines don't function in any kind of atmosphere, so Hikari is also equipped with thrusters to land at vertical. At top speed, the Hikari can make the trip to Mercury in 79 days. Since the engine is very fuel efficient it can travel for five years in the solar system without needing resupply.

Crew: There's fifteen bunk on the ship. It can sustain the crew for five years with proper food supplies.

Vehicles: 4x Exploration Buggy (Core Rulebook), 2x Motorcycle (Starfinder Armory), 1x Hover Truck (Starfinder Armory), 2 x Ringwork Wanderer (Core Rulebook)

The Crew
Stefan Müller
right-aligned image
Name: Stefan Müller
Qualification: Luftwaffe Oberst (Colonel), Pilot
Ship role: Shuttle Commander

War hero and experienced astronaut, Stefan has been chosen to lead the mission. He's the last man to have walked on the moon and was involved in several missions in space, mostly for repairing European satellites who were crushed by the flash and revamp the latest international space station. He fought several years in the Korean War as a pilot. As a younger man, he also participated in a conflict between Europe and Russia in Ukraine.

Hannah Olsen
right-aligned image
Name: Hannah Olsen
Qualification: Medical Doctor, Genetic, Xenobiologist (Astrobiology) Ph.D.
Ship role: Chief Medical Officer

Olsen is a lead scientist in Xenobiology who proven that silicon lifeform is possible by creating a complex lifeform with a new DNA structure. Her research created a completely new field of application for medicine and chemistry with silicon-based lifeform. Her labs are located in Switzerland, but she spent a lot of time doing experiments in the Arctic to benefit from some international laws loophole. In her early twenties, Hannah became an Olympic silver medalist in Biathlon. She is not part of the military but can handle herself very well on the field as a sharpshooter. Hannah is an outdoor person that has an impressive list of mountains she climbed and wilderness she explored. She is easy going and has a good sense of empathy toward her patients. On the ship, Hannah is responsible for all the health of the crew physically and mentally. The rest of the time she continues her research on board and takes care of the ship hydroponic garden.

Jun-ho Kim
right-aligned image
Name: Jun-ho Kim
Qualification: Master in Quantum mechanic and computing
Ship role: Chief Engineer

Jun-Ho is born in an humble area of Busan. He climbed his way up in society by pure hard work and resilience. As a young adult, he won a science price with a university project on quantum computing using optical hardware and got hired by Mitsubishi group. Jun-ho is part of the crew that created the ship computer using the same technologies as Jun-Ho prototype. The young man doesn't like BS and politic, always going directly to the point. He doesn't have filters when he speaks and is often rude when dealing with others. Jun-Ho and Ayami know each other for a long time and are highly competitive, Jun-ho doesn't like that she had it all from birth while he had to work so hard just to get into school.

Karl Williams, United Kingdom RAF
right-aligned image
Name: Karl Williams
Qualification: Squadron Leader RAF, Mechanical Engineering
Ship role: Second Officer (XO), Senior Pilot

Karl logged hundreds of hours in the conflict against Russia in Ukraine. He flew before in the same squadron as Stefan Müller. He has a decent amount of experience flying the precious shuttle into space, doing several trips to the new international space station. He's a very funny guy, the crew enjoys to have someone always cheerful onboard. Karl is married and father of three kids, going into space was a hard decision but he couldn't pass on a chance of a lifetime.

James Jones
right-aligned image
Name: James Jones
Qualification: Senior Master Sergeant Airforce, Electronic, and Robotic Engineer
Ship role: Robotic and Drone engineer

James is a technology addict and spent the beginning of his military career at the NSA. He was badly wounded in an operation in China and lost his left arm, becoming one of the first adopters of cybernetic. He left the intelligence community and joined the space program of the airforce. His favorite discipline is drone engineering and robotics. James is a critical resource of the mission, knowing inside out many of the drones that are going to be used for exploration and defense by the crew. The ship also has different kind of automated systems and robot that perform hundreds of task for the crew. He's has a bit of an awkward personality, sometimes preferring the company of his drones and robots than other humans being.

Ayami Yamazaki
right-aligned image
Name: Ayami Takayama
Qualification: Astrophysics and Aerospace Engineering
Ship role: Chief Science Officer

Miss Yamazaki is the younger astronaut of the crew. Heiress of the Mitsubishi group. and countless other corporations, her family is one of the most wealthy in Asia. She has no formal education in university, having received education from private tutors and the engineers that conceived the Hikari. Instead of living a normal teenage life, she learned everything there's to know about Hikari's engine and primary systems. At the age of twenty, she received an honorific doctorate in astrophysics for her studies of the sun about the flash. She is one of the brightest minds of her generation. Yet, she has plenty of detractors that say she received everything on a silver plater, that her father bribed her way to the top. It may be true, but her ingenuity has never been questioned by the scientific community.

Ayami neglected her physical condition in all those years in labs and shipyard, she had a hard time during the physical stress of the space program training. Normally she would have failed the program training, but her unique expertise and also the fact that her father owned at least half the shuttle turned the balance in her favor. The young woman is not totally helpless and knows how to fight with a blade and has basic training with firearms. She is feminine for a scientist, rarely leaving her room without some makeup. However, she dresses simple liking tight tank top, short shorts to show off her long legs and a pair of converses.

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-16-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Applications
PlayerNameRaceClass
MoldyDimitriHumanSolarian (Icon)
KaylaraD9000KXAndroidOperative
RylusDougHumanMechanic
GravityWolfSeverinoHumanEnvoy (Outlaw)
OneDarknessConnerHumanScholar
MaximumUnicornHiyotoHumanEnvoy (Icon)
dbaqueLuisHumanSoldier (Ace Pilot)
YsoldeArisawaHumanScholar (Engineering)
Silent RainNicholasHumanOperative (Detective)
TydoreiG10AndroidSoldier or Operative
suburbanplanktonJohannaHumanOperative (Xenoseeker)
MontageManiacKamlungHumanSolarian
DaysuntoldAlyssaHumanMechanic (Spacefarer)
ExhibitChloeHumanMechanic (Bounty Hunter)
* In not particular order of appearance

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-17-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 938
suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton
I've never played in a Starfinder game, but I do have the player's guide. This looks too intriguing to pass up!

I'm at work now, but I already have an idea or two for a character; I'll start work on an application this evening.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15496
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
MZ, why must you pitch these catchy ideas?! And on a system I've been wanting to try for a while?

Now seriously, an initial question: If the heroes are starting at level 1, how accomplished or outstanding are we to get recruited for a big mission like this?
"Pride goeth before destruction...." Proverbs 16:18
"What the fairy tale provides ... is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"
Old 05-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Don’t you have enough of my torture?

Level is relative, most of the human population is level 0 in the real world to my opinion.

Scientists in universities and labs might have a high skill score in something, but they have only a few HPs and are not heroes to deserve levels. They will faint at the first knife cut. Of course there are exceptions.

Military who went to war and faced life-threatening events might be level 1-2, but that doesn't make them qualified to be astronauts or heroes necessary with high stats.

So the hero population level 1+ is low, most of the city folks are weaklings.

Also many high-level people are too old or not healthy enough to go into space, it's still quite an ordeal to leave the earth atmosphere and live in space for weeks.

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Gollum
This looks amazing. App definitely coming once I give this some thought.

First concept is of a Solarian. His pregant mother was seriously exposed to the flash or possibly to the following radiation. The ensuing mutations affected her unborn child (insert my character name here), who was born with odd abilities. The discovery of his power by the medical community led to his kidnapping by the government - to study his skills, possibly to train him as a weapon.

It’s raw and I have a lot of work to do.

Last edited by Gollum; 05-08-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1743
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
SPACE!

STARFINDER!

CRAZY POST-APOC CYBERPUNK SHENANIGANS!

Yeah, color me freaking interested.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 938
suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton
What is the state or organized religion at this point?

This mission may well involve First Contact, as alluded to in the ad. To say that such an event would have enormous theological consequences might be the understatement of the millennium, so it seems to me that the major organized religions of the world would want to be a part of it. I'm thinking of creating a character who is a representative of one, or possibly many, of the dominant religions of the day (or possibly someone from a fringe sect, if that seems like it would be better for the story).
Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 241
gravitywolf gravitywolf gravitywolf
Another Starfinder campaign you say? And one with such delicious and meticulous world building?! I'm more than in, I'll get cracking on a character concept until I run into some questions I need to ask.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6047
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
Damn, I dont have time for this but I hope you get lots of interest. I'd love to follow this story and see how it runs along!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanplankton View Post
What is the state or organized religion at this point?

This mission may well involve First Contact, as alluded to in the ad. To say that such an event would have enormous theological consequences might be the understatement of the millennium, so it seems to me that the major organized religions of the world would want to be a part of it. I'm thinking of creating a character who is a representative of one, or possibly many, of the dominant religions of the day (or possibly someone from a fringe sect, if that seems like it would be better for the story).
With technologies rising quickly, organized religions are getting weaker, much like today in 2019. There's a rise of sect and doom singer people that think the flash is somehow divine related, but that's about it. Most organized religion has a large problem of funds and is losing a lot of credibility as the error and secrets of their past are uncovered. There's no way the space program will let in a fanatic in.

No cleric or representant of Christianity, Judaism or Islam has developed divine powers so far. As a DM I don't want the game to derail because of religious sensitive topics too much close to real life.

Here are some philosophies that are rising since the flash which is the following.

The Cycle: Introduced to Earth by astronomers Buddhist monks of Asia, the
philosophy teaches that existence is an endless cycle. Stars are born, die, and are born again, alternately bringing
life to the universe and destroying it. The balance of the cosmos rests on the Cycle, and it connects everything in the universe. The cycle teaches that through reincarnation and examining one's past
lives, one can reach enlightenment.

The Neo Shinto Faith: A renewal of the Shinto faith philosophy is rising a little bit since some of their cleric have developer divine powers. The heat of a sun, the power of wind, and the beauty of a wild plant are all proof of the complexity and power of nature and all the spirits that live in all things. The Neo Shinto Faith teaches respect for nature and living in balance with the environment.

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-09-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalarangreen View Post
Damn, I dont have time for this but I hope you get lots of interest. I'd love to follow this story and see how it runs along!
hahaha ditch a bad game, for a good game.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
This looks amazing. App definitely coming once I give this some thought.

First concept is of a Solarian. His pregant mother was seriously exposed to the flash or possibly to the following radiation. The ensuing mutations affected her unborn child (insert my character name here), who was born with odd abilities. The discovery of his power by the medical community led to his kidnapping by the government - to study his skills, possibly to train him as a weapon.

It’s raw and I have a lot of work to do.
Welcome.

Last edited by MoonZar; 05-09-2019 at 10:11 AM.