twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 AM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58746
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
August POTM

The high, hot part of summer is here for us in the North. Middle of winter for those below the equator, of course. But that isn't dampening our gaming spirits. Come on, and show us the best posts by your gamers and peers, and nominate them for POTM.

Anyone can win (except those who have already won this year), and you are a winner just by nominating and being nominated.

Do your part, and nominate an excellent August post!
Old 08-11-2019, 02:56 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4876
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
Player Nominated: oztk

Game: Outplay 2019
System: D&D 5e
GM: Wynamoinen
Link: Link to post

Context: Things are happening desperately fast in a race against time, in game and out, and against various groups of competitors. After escaping an acid filled hallway, racing down a series of tunnels and then finding a mysterious altar that demanded an important sacrifice Berthe stepped up to the task admirably.
FYI: There was in fact magical healing after the "Failing forward" section.

Note: oztk is currently nominated for a July PotM as well and may be ineligible by the time voting comes around.
Reason for nomination: "The dramatic monologue." ◄= All the feels right there.
One of my favorite characters in this game, always over the top drama and one of my favorite posts from that character without the flights of fancy. Quality post that I felt led to the overall improvement of all the subsequent posts in the thread.

Last edited by Cereal Nommer; 08-21-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1864
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Player Nominated: Karhald
Game: Hoard of the Dragon Queen, 5E (Hoard G)
GM: Chocoladevla
Note: thread is private, so presumably only the admins can see it, others can used copy posted below under the spoiler.

Reason for nomination: Last month, Greta Silverdeep, Dwarf Cleric and beloved hero of a small town called Greenest, selflessly volunteered to put her own life on the line to save others. While ultimately successful in freeing the innocent hostages, she paid the ultimate price and her death post was one of the most impactful pieces of writhing that I’ve had the privilege to read on this site. This month, Karhald outdoes himself with this post: Greta’s resurrection. I can’t begin to do justice to describe the emotionally packed story, but I consider it worthy to nominate for Post of the Month.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Typical undead bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7181
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Player Nominated: Simandl
Game: Adventurer's League - Season 5: Storm Kings Thunder
GM: Retry
Link: Link to the post

Reason for nomination: Simandl joined the game when they were fresh to the site and have been steadily growing in their post quality as the game has been chugging along. Their party was given the task of 'handling' two ogres after having just finished a battle that had most of them spent. While the group was preparing to fight; Simandl's character, Darab'at, took the risk of approaching them and trying to convert them into allies instead. Through a well worded speech (and a good persuasion roll to boot) the Bard saved the team from what would've been a deadly encounter proving that violence isn't always the only route, even when dealing with monsters

Old 08-23-2019, 02:18 PM
MostlyMaddeninglyMadMan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4427
Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad Mostlymad
Player Nominated: Olympia
Game: The All Realm: Flames of Heliandria
GM: Olympia

Context: Heliandria is an island that is set to suffer the same fate as other cities built around an active volcano... even set in the same time period as Pompeii. The players are all members of a council that advises a human prince, Matthaios, who is set to become the first Human monarch in a world dominated by Elven kingdoms and the odd one off Dwarven kingdom. As players we must influence the Prince to get him to make decisions on scenarios set before us by the DM Olympia while competing with each other for his favor.

Our current debate centers on an evacuation of the island. There is only one problem, there is not enough space on the ships to take everyone. The council has been asked to give their opinion on the matters of how much to overload the boats and who to prioritize space to. We are halfway through providing our points when Olympia throws a monkey wrench into the situation by adding in Prince Matthiaos power hungry stepmother, the current Queen of Heliandria.

Reason for nomination: This was just a "flavor" post by Olympia meant to stir up and dilute the debate. But her ability to weave in different NPCs, respond to what was already posted by the players previously while so elegantly adding in another NPC to shake things up is truly commendable. It was so effective that her arrival and presence "sobered up" my own character, who at the time was advocating for a path based on emotional reasons instead of factual ones. It was her snide comments and hauty presence as described by Olympia that turned Luvon around and had him flip the Prince's decision from an emotional one for a more logical, sane path. If it wasn't for the timely and natural introduction of the Queen I'm sure things would have started going off the rails for us sooner rather than later.

"There's a slope down toward evil, a gentle gradient that can be ignored at each step, unfelt. It's not until you look back, see the distant heights where you once lived, that you understand your journey." - Prince of Thorns
Old 08-27-2019, 12:00 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7669
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Player Nominated: Zinrokh

Reason for nomination:There have been a lot of great posts in the Outplay Competition so picking one is difficult. If I had the time to re-read every thread I might chose differently however I really liked this post so, maybe I wouldn’t

I feel that Zinrokh did a great job presenting his character in his post. He had interactions with the other players and told a story of his personal past that felt very true to Ikol’s personality. All-in-all one of my favorites from Rounds 3 and 4.

*Please forgive the lack of formatting on the copy, the quote button is disabled on the Outplay thread.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:06 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5008
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Player Nominated: Qiksilv
System: Pathfinder 1e
Link: post is here.

Reason for nomination: I've found the last week of Outplay to have quite good posts. So much so that I was unable to come to a decision so I put it off before nominating a post. Since then two of the three players have received a POTM and I have decided to chose one of the posts for the third player as my POTM.

The post below is the one I found the most intriguing of Qiksilv's. While I liked the interaction between Tobias the Litch trapped within himself it was the way he answered the DM's question about the law that I liked best.

The post was uneditable so I had to recreate it myself. Hopefully, I didn't get the coloring wrong anywhere.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: IRON DM In Progress!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:56 AM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11282
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Player: Yuul
Game: Portage: Rising from Ashes
GM: Kapera

Reason for Nomination: This game has been full of interesting events, investigative actions and a lot of intrigue. But this post really drives home the subtle intrigue that some of the others find. Alec, having learned things out in the world, is back with his clan so he can search for some answers. And having learned a few extra things, here he confronts, in his words, "My presumably loyal neonate servant,"... The way he weaves the dialogue is excellent, smooth but also vaguely threatening. It's the kind of post that sticks in my memory.