RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
The Dragonriders of Burnquiste

Game NameThe Dragonriders of Burnquiste
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeGame of thrones/How to train your dragon/Dragon prince/Eragon
FlavourA burgeoning civil war, moral choices, aerial combat, fantasy adventure, Coming of age.
Plot Summary
The Dragon Riders of Burnquiste
left-aligned image

In the Ages of Yore, Elves and Men lived in a relative peace. The magical kingdoms of the Elves kept the peace in the warm South while the less-magical kindgoms of Men kept peace in the frigid North.

What truly started the First War, nobody really knows for sure but they say that while the magical kindgom of Vvardenfell had a peaceful connection to the beasts of the skies for centuries, the Men of Burnquiste didn't and that was the wedge that opened a rift between the two races. Many of the learned magic-users of Men sought this kind of magic from the elves but the Elves denied them time and again. One learned mage of Men, who kept to himself more than most thought he had a solution to the greedy Elves who hoarded their power.

Thus, the first Dragon Riders were born. Their very blood infused with the power to connect and communicate with dragons, something not even the Elves were able to do or would ever attempt. The Elves protested this practice as an abomination and perversion of all things in nature, That dragons were evil creatures and should not be tampered with but Men knew that this was just the Elves' paranoia talking, jealous that Men had garnered power similar enough to their's, power they sought to keep to themselves.

They say the first act of war that sparked it all was the aerial assault on the Dragon Pits of Burnquiste where Men trained and learned to ride and fight alongside their Dragon companions. As the Elves rode their various flying creatures into an all out attack on the Men of Burnquiste, every Dragon Rider, from Veteran to Flegdeling took to the skies in defense of their homes. Nearly half of the bloodlines of Dragon Riders perished that day but even against a far greater and more experienced foe such were the Elves, they were able to claim victory. Victory that sparked the First War.

By the end of the seven year long First War, nearly all the bloodlines of Dragon Riders had perished in the battle but victory was finally obtained when the Elves of Vvardenfell, having realized that this war was a lost cause for them, erected a barrier that looked to nearly reach the clouds, far higher than most dragons could even fly and that cut the continent in half, separating North from South. For over a hundred years, the barrier has held and thus the bloodlines of the Dragon Riders have forgotten their destinies, the Dragon Pit lay in ruins, no dragons having been sired, reared or trained for many years.

Recently, the barrier has grown weak, so thin that you could nearly see the lush green of the Southern half of the continent from the city walls of Burnquiste and they say that Griffons have been seen in the skies on the northern side of the barrier far to the east. With the panic in the courts and the rumors spread about the populace, War on the horizon, many people have started getting a chill up their spine when talk of invading Elven forces reach their ears.

Luckily for the Kingdoms of men, four young folks have heard a call, the call of their blood and their destiny, The call of the Dragon Riders. While playing in the Ruins of the Dragon Pit of Yore as children, they followed the voices that called to their blood and found four eggs that lay dormant in the bowels of the pits. Dragon eggs that reacted to the presence of the young ones. They hatched and grew, alongside the new Dragon Riders, Men's only hope against the possible tide of Elven Wrath. This day, as the children have reached adulthood and their dragon companions have reached mid-adolescence, the King of the North, King Stannis the Lightbringer summons the four new Dragon Riders to his court.

Details:-5th Edition DnD.
-Standard array
-Level 1
-Standard Equipment + cold weather gear
-Player characters are 6th generation Dragon Riders, a trait that runs in the bloodline since the first riders, giving them a telepathic connection to a chromatic dragon. Your choice of color.
-Last active dragon riders were 4 generations ago.
-The rider and dragon share one skill and therefore, while the dragon is in the rider's presence, the rider gains advantage on that kind of check.
-Human is the only available race but you may choose between the standard or variant.
-Characters will be 19-21 and dragons will be 15 years old.
-Due to the lack of magic and lack of training in magic available to the people of Burnquiste, the wizard and warlock classes are unavailable.
-Due to the human's lack of connection to nature, druid and standard magical rangers aren't available.
-Deadline: November 1st

Applications:
Rider: Naming conventions are as simple as a first name and a family/clan name, Irish/Celtic/Norse/Viking/Scottish sounding
Class: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue, Sorcerer. Possible non-standard rangers.
Background: You have just recently become adults so that rules out a few backgrounds but I am free to variants or mish-mash makeups if they are reasonable.
Personality trait:
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:
Appearance: I would like a decent sized picture of your character as well as a paragraph describing what you see them looking like, not just a description of the picture.
Personality: A summary of their background traits and the context behind them.
Dragon: Your dragon can have almost any name.
Color: White, Green, Red, Blue, Black. Outline your first choice but to make yourself more available, have a second choice in mind.
Appearance: A picture plus a description of how you see the dragon same as Rider.
Personality: Their personality compared to the Rider's. Feel free to pick traits or whatnot from the assorted backgrounds in the PHB and adjust them or what ever works for you.

RP Sample: This can be a link to a in-game post from in the past or something fresh for the Rider and the Dragon. Please, be realistic and nothing too crazy that exceeds the limit of what you would be able to post to a game normally.

Rider Class Dragon Color Status
Astrid Hofferson Barbarian Red Red Reviewed
Crieta Dwynsdottr Rogue Eirwen White Reviewed
Tetrianna Blackfury Sorceress ? Blue WIP
Fiona na Culhain Fighter Asphodel Green Reviewed
Codagh Cronsvard Ranger Newt Black Reviewed
Sheridan Bjerk Sorceress ? ? WIP
Eirik Johanssen Bard Edda Black Reviewed
Kiatan Neyallsson Cleric Kleyra Red Reviewed
Owen Leith Mccallister UA Fighter Luna White WIP

Last edited by Arthilian01; 11-04-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
Are the dragons' temperaments/personalities/alignments similar to those found in the Monster Manual?

What sources are allowed? Any published? UA?

I shall swear no oaths, but I will be here, and if I cannot, I shall tell you.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1178
suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton
What sources are you permitting?

ETA: I swear that question wasn't there in the previous post when I asked it...

I'll ask a different question, which I've triple-checked to make sure hasn't been asked yet: What level to you foresee the PCs reaching by the end of the campaign?

Last edited by suburbanplankton; 10-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1183
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Are all PCs human then?
Old 10-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
-Yes, All PC's are human.
-I don't have any source but the PHB readily available but if you ask with a link to the source, I'll take a look
-I forsee the characters leveling fairly often as long as the players stick around. I don't have an 'End' planned any time soon.
-Dragons will share one alignment axis with the player since they have their own nature but they were raised by your characters.
Ex.:
Rider is lawful good
Dragon is Lawful neutral, Lawful Evil, Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 10-19-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1969
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
Just curious why colored and thus normally evil dragons and not metallic good dragons?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Because in this particular lore, metallic good dragons don't seem to exist. Humans traveled even farther north than their kingdoms to find the chromatic dragons in the mountains and such. Hadn't thought of that initially but very astute.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:43 PM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
...so are the dragons normally evil? Do they behave similarly to what's written in the Monster Manual?

I shall swear no oaths, but I will be here, and if I cannot, I shall tell you.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 661
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
This very much reminds me of the book series Dragonriders of Pern that I used to read growing up. Definitely interested.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:35 PM
Dragon-obsessed Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2122
AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP AlphaP
What is a "decent size" for a picture?

What is the academic state of Burnquiste? Is it little but loremasters and verbal tradition? Is it kind of like Burk from HTTYD, with basic science and somewhat formal recording of knowledge but no massive libraries and a good deal of superstition? Is it renaissance, simply lacking in magical tradition?

What pantheon is used in this world? Our choice? Matching gods from the cultures used for naming?

Posting Rate Slow: will attempt to catch up as soon as possible
Old 10-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 73
Raada
In the same vein, what kind of government did you have in mind? Is it an absolute monarchy with lords and ladies like in Game of thrones or more like a chieftain type king, with a large counsel of townsfolk in How to Train your Dragon?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:10 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 863
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
COMPLETE
Astrid and Red
Rider: Astrid Hofferson
right-aligned image

Class: Barbarian
Background: Folk Hero
Personality trait: Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.
Ideal: Sincerity. There’s no good in pretending to be something I’m not. (Neutral)
Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw: I’m convinced of the significance of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.
Appearance: Due to her constant training, Astrid's six foot tall frame is lean and strong. She has long, unkempt brown hair that matches her brown eyes. In keeping with the tradition of her people, she wears light furs that allow her to move freely in battle. She carries a long pike because of the weapon's versatility (easy to use on foot or while in flight).

Personality: Often it is difficult to discern if Astrid is brave or just headstrong. In truth, it's usually both. She loves her family and friends and would do anything to protect them. She is fully aware of how special she is and just how important her and her fellow dragon riders are to the fate of humankind. She's grateful that the God's have chosen her and eager to prove them right in doing so. However, in her quest to become a great warrior, she has not taken the time to learn "social graces." As much as she loves her family and friends, no one holds a pun intendedflame to her boy Red.
Dragon: Astrid has never been accused of being clever...Red
Color: Red
Appearance: Red has red scales with the exception of a golden underbelly. He stands 6 feet tall at his back and approximately 12 feet tall at the top of his head. He weighs around 1200 pounds and the majority of that is lean muscle. His eyes shine a golden hue and seem to flicker (as if they were on fire). His wing span is about 20 feet.
Personality: Red is the embodiment of fire. Sometimes he is quick to anger and often that anger burns in him like a slow flame. However, thanks to Astrid, he is able to manage that anger and direct it in the right direction. He knows all about the evil Elves and their wicked desire to keep Dragons and Man away from one another and he knows that they will stop at nothing to destroy him, his brothers and sisters, and the Human race. He wants nothing more than to burst through their walls and to destroy the whole lot but he trusts Astrid when she tells him that it would only make things worse.

RP Sample: Panting heavily, Astrid could barely keep going. She had been training with Red for hours (as was their morning routine). "Don't slack now girl!" Red had a wicked grin on his face as he swept his tail towards her, admiring how easily she could leap over it. Astrid didn't need a telepathic connection to see that he was feeling rather frisky this morning. " The girl mock pleaded with her dragon, Easy buddy! Don't forget, you've got about a thousand pounds on me!" Then, with a simple hand gesture (unnecessary but habitual), the massive Dragon came to a stop and smiled broadly.

Seeing his smile, Astrid laughed "You know? It's great that we can read each others thoughts but it would be nice if you sometimes allowed me to say what I'm thinking before reacting. Oh alright... Let's go hunting!" Instinctively, the dragon lowered himself to make it easier for his rider to climb onto his back. Once she was in place, he took off (without a word needing to be spoke). Sticking to their morning routine, the two flew over the grasslands, looking for their lunch. Long before she could, Red spotted a group of wild boarsounder running. With an unspoken command from Astrid, he flew in closer and forced them to spread out. As they did so, he spotted a lone boar and blasted it with his fire breath. After killing the beast, the he landed down so that Astrid could carve off her share before he ate the rest.

As Astrid climbed down and approached the charred boar, an arrow landed near her feet. Startled, she looked up just in time to see another arrow flying past her and striking Red in the chest. Although the arrow did very little damage, she could feel his anger swelling up. With a mighty roar, he unleashed a stream of fire into the bushes that seemed to be hiding their assailants. The unmistakable sound of Goblin screams filled the air. However, as she turned back, Astrid heard footsteps rapidly approaching behind her. In one fluid motion, she spun around and jammed the tip of her pike into the lone Goblin that had managed to avoid the Dragon's breath. Still sensing his rage, Astrid began trying to calm her friend. "Shhh… It's alright! We're not hurt. They paid for their mistake. Let's eat our lunch and head home. I'd say we've earned it."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Astrid.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	81993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	81994  

Last edited by Treble83; 10-24-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 69
Lobsterdragon
Application:
Rider: Crieta Dwynsdottr
Class: Rogue
Background: Acolyte (with a touch of Hermit)

Personality trait: I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplation, becoming oblivious to my surroundings.
Ideal: I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.
Bond: I will do anything to protect the temple where I served
Flaw: I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple's hierarchy.

Appearance:
right-aligned image

Crieta clocks out at 5'9" tall, with a lithe but well padded build from a life of moderate ease and comfort. Despite her obvious good health, her tan skin is sallow, and her hands are always cold. Crieta has exceedingly long hair the color of a coffee bean. Her round face sports wide set grey eyes, and a rather sizable triangular nose.

Personality:
Crieta is idealistic to a fault, as her church values honesty, modesty, and generosity above all else. She is extremely quiet, speaking only when necessary, and often ends up sitting utterly still for hours on end, lost in her thoughts. Due to this, and her lacking comprehension of privacy, she often ends up overhearing things she shouldn't, and this has gotten her into some trouble outside of the church.

Despite her silent tendencies, Crieta can easily hold her own in a debate or argument. She is quite principled and disciplined, with her own ideas of right and wrong that don't always align with society's as a whole.

Many people who meet her are unnerved by the ease and nonchalance with which Crieta treats the subject of death. Living at the church, she was tasked from an early age with keeping the crypts swept and rat free, replacing the oil in the spirit lamp, and making sure the offerings were fresh. She even once slept in the Embalmer's room among the corpses when the girl's dormitory had been temporarily given over to a group of house fire victims. The spirits were her nannies, her teachers and her first playmates. She never saw them, but she believed with her entire heart that they would protect her. Crieta still sometimes awakes from half remembered dreams of speaking to them, as she did in dreams when she was small.

Crieta has always harbored an overwhelming love for animals, despite being rather afraid of them. It was never her intention to become a dragon rider; their morals and methods were at odds with the church's, and her mother, part of a long line of dragon riders, had long since rejected her lineage, yet still instilled a sense of respect for the riders in Crieta.

Dragon: Eirwen

Color: White

Appearance:
right-aligned image

Eirwen is long and sinuous, with gleaming white scales. Multiple rows of short spikes run down her back, and she sports a pair of large, slightly tattered batlike wings. A long, armored tail winds behind her, and frequently knocks things over.

Personality: Eirwen is delighted by nearly everything. Shiny pieces of mica, icy cold lakes, terrorizing the sheep... the list goes on. And on and on. But some things in life do not delight her. Those things must be destroyed. As quickly and as violently as possible.

Eirwen is not as narcissistic as some dragons, rather she has little concern for most creatures, and will ignore them unless they cause her an annoyance or pose a threat to her or Crieta, one of the few living things she cares for.

RP Sample: Crieta's legs trembled slightly as she fastened the straps on the canvas and leather saddle. It was her own design, pieced together from scraps that the village craftsmen could spare. She had never been much for building or sewing, and did not entirely trust her creation to carry her safely into the sky. All day, her mind had been tracing over dozens of terrible scenarios. Her body lying broken at the bottom of the dragon pit. Her body entombed in the very crypts she had tended her whole life. Crieta was jostled out of her musings by a pale reptilian head nudging against the side of her face.

We fly now. The voice rasped inside her head. Crieta glanced briefly at the dragon standing above her.

"Soon enough, Eirwen, just have to finish adjusting your saddle."

You already did that, the dragon croaked sullenly. She was right, and Crieta knew it, but still she continued. Buckling and unbuckling, checking the seams, stalling for time. The sun continued across the sky, a white ball thrown in a slow arc. At noonday Crieta stopped to sit in Eirwen's shadow and eat a simple lunch. She wandered off to look at birds, she fussed over a small cut on the dragon's wing, anything to avoid flying. Eventually Eirwen became tired of her antics and took off, her wings buffeting the air as she lifted laboriously into the sky. Crieta sat back and watched the alabaster form circling lazily above her. Perhaps another day, she thought, as she packed up to head home.

The two came back to the dragon pits constantly after that day. Crieta would rush to finish cleaning the crypts, sit listlessly through morning prayers, pack her coat and a small lunch, and sneak off, hoping that it would be that day she found the courage to fly.

It was early winter when she finally did it. As she made the now familiar walk across town, she looked about her, marveling at the scene. Less than an inch of last night's crisp snow lay frozen on the street, yet its presence transformed everything. Awning, shed, tree, hitching post, all of Crieta's world felt close and safe, yet also thrillingly new. Looking up, Crieta noticed she had arrived at the dragon pits. Eirwen was waiting there, perched awkwardly in a crabapple tree that bent under her weight.

Silently, Crieta set about fastening the saddle, her breath pluming out in front of her. Her fingers were already stiff, and she regretted not bringing gloves. For the next hour, the two sat in the weak sunlight, chatting amicably as Crieta tried to work up some courage.

Do you think you'll fly today? Eirwen's low, reedy monotone cut through the air. At this point, Crieta was resolute. She stood up, using the crook of the dragon's knee as a step, and clambered onto her back.

"I think I will, Eirwen."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Young white dragon….jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	81967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crieta Dwynsdottr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	82106  

Last edited by Lobsterdragon; 11-04-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Q- Are dragons normally evil?
A- Wild dragons, if there are very many left after the first war would be 'evil/hostile' but any tamed dragons act in a way that they were raised. Ex: wild horse or dogs vs domesticated.

Q- Decent picture size?
A- No more than 300x300 i would say since I'm going to ask that you guys add you pictures to your posts so myself and the other players see who is doing what easier.

Q- Academia?
A- Similar to ancient viking, loremasters and verbal, heavy superstition. The only magical instructor is advisor to the king and he only takes one student a decade at a time, usually one of the king's children or one if his own.

Q-Government?
A- A king rules over the capital of Burnquiste with two advisors beneath him, a magical advisor and the city's general. Other cities in the kingdoms of men are governed by tribal leaders and/or a council of elders that answer to King Stannis.

Q- Pantheon?
A- heavily norse culture, odin, thor, loki

I hope that took care of the questions so far. Let me know if i missed one.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:38 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 73
Raada
Thank you for the clarification! One last question (actually two), what is the nature of the connection between a dragon rider and their dragon, and what is a dragon's sentience level? Is it a telepathic situation or is it similar to my relationship with my cat (where I would die for her but any conversation we have is solely because I am slipping slowly into insanity)?