Game Thread January 17th, 2015: By the Sea Gallery - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > World of Darkness > Portage: Rising from Ashes > Game Play
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 18672
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,549
January 17th, 2015: By the Sea Gallery

(continued from Alec at the Chantry, Leesa and Thomas in the graveyard, and Jan's solo?)

Thread for: Leesa, Alec, Jan

Dusk gave way to darkness, a rapid descent of the sun as it toppled to the horizon, lost to the bitter grip of winter. The chill of the season was inescapable this night, the wind cut bitter and sharp, an intensification of the damp chill which reminded one that this was the coast, that the cold was far more then the surface as it reached into the bones, a living chill which seeped into each nook, each cranny and stole the breath of life, the warmth of humanity from the few who dared to venture outdoors.

Still, this was Portage, the city always moving, always alive with the nature of the hospitals, the universities and the military, a truly twenty four hour city even if it was not the sprawling metropolis of places such as Montreal, New York or Toronto.Those who did brave the wind and chill, were bundled up, scarves high, hats low, each person an enigma to another, faceless forms in the darkness.

Inside, it was different, it always was. The first floor of the Elysium, the Gallery was open, as typical, to the general public. This night appeared to be spoken word, poetry of older and more modern kinds, the crowd a settled type with far more glasses of wine then beer. To the right of the main entry though, there stood the usual security guard, a guide to keep below and above separate. No weapons, nothing that might be used as one, and this night that apparently included motorcycle helmets. When a Daughter of Malkav controlled the Elysium, such things were apparently normal.


__________________

Jan:
The city had changed, but then all things did and when it came down to the meat of it all, this place was as it always had been. There were those who lived to work, worked to live and those who just clung to the exterior of life, a fragile grip on a world which passed them by. The one constant was that they all seemed to end up in the same bar at some point, the same poisons, the same needs in the end and to that, there would always be a need for Jan Babyak. Still he needed to let them know he had arrived, properly... rules of etiquette which must be followed even if there seemed a special kind of madness, an obsession over control, an illusion for there was nothing truly to control.

The one blessing, if he might consider it that way, was that it was his own kind which dwelled within the art Gallery, and while he would have to do all those silly ritualistic greetings, the place would feel far freer then some of the more stifled places his Sire had taken him during his 'education.' The chill this night was of a sort that even the dead felt uncomfortable, a memory perhaps of the discomfort, of a time when the cold threatened real death even though now it was mere unpleasant.

His entry to By the Sea was noted, indeed a small wave of the burly security guard who gave him a slow look over then motioned him toward the stairs with only a soft whisper of sound, the words unintelligible.

The second floor revealed a balance of sculptures and artwork, spread about carefully with several cushioned benches scattered about from which one could regard both those who walked the place and the very art which decorated. Mischa was present, the Butterfly as his Sire had spoken of, indeed as she was known even from his small interaction within the city before he had been carted off. Always flitting, never still, a delicate creature by all appearances, ah thank the madness that appearances truly were deceiving.

"Ah, they said you would come... his loftiness is over there, by the window. A reflection of the soul overlaid with the shadows of the city, Goodwood is waiting for you Mister Babyak." Her voice was light and sweet as she swept a hand to indicate the man who stood indeed at the grand window which overlooked the harbour. Stately, dark haired, a man who exuded power and yet from Jan's memory, seemed to be pleasant enough, at least far more amenable then the Prince of his prior city.


___________________________________

Leesa and Alec:
There was much to do and so little time. Perhaps this was not entirely true, but after the night prior, it seemed that there was a little extra alertness, a slightly sharper edge to their awareness when each woke. Still, progress had been made and as Rita had said, a time to regroup, to share what had been uncovered and hopefully a little more to go on then the scant crumbs which had been tossed their way thus far.

Thomas was already there when they arrived, though there was no sign of the Jeep nor the pink motorcycle which bespoke of Waif. Thom though, waited in the far corner of the second floor, on the back windows which looked toward the direction of the graveyard, even if one could not see the place from this location.

Else wise the Elysium had remained relatively quiet, that sense that others knew something was amiss and no one felt the same level of comfort to merely chatter away, gossip and attempt to further climb the ladder. There was an older gentleman there, in conversation with Goodwood, otherwise there was Mischa, the ever present Keeper and of all people, the Harpy, Jorg Wulfe, seemingly lost in thought as he took in a new piece of art within the installment present.

It seemed that Rita had not arrived herself yet, but then it was still early and one could not assume how far someone might need to travel from their havens, or even if they needed to attend to anything else along the way, she undoubtedly would arrive soon.
__________________
Covid Time: Slow return to posting expected early August with slowed but regular posting after. Normality will return once the insanity is over.

Last edited by Aethera; 05-05-2020 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added link to previous threads
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2019, 11:39 PM
sageheart's Avatar
sageheart sageheart is online now
Downers 4th Regiment CO
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 7400
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Posts: 6,692
The ElysiumThe city had changed, quite a bit since Jan had been here last. The Greyhound bus had dropped him off a few blocks from the city center, and he had used that as an opportunity to stroll through his old stomping grounds. It only took a block and a half before a new condo building overshadowed him, right next to where he used to play after-hours dice. That had been replaced by a Vegan restaurant. A shutter coursed through him, an abstract feeling considering his current change in physical being. In the past this would have infuriated him, and he would have found an ear to listen to his ramblings about the good old days, before the yuppies and gentrification, and all that. Most likely would have been down at one of Robbie's old joints, the ones he still had operational anyway. But that had all changed. He was different now, and there was nothing going to change that anytime soon, so the city might as well grow alongside him. At least, that was one of the simple ways to rationalize it all. Jan had grown to appreciate simplicity, it helped when most of his life was dealing with those trying to pry information from his brain through the "Madness Network" as his Sire had labelled it.

He had hoped to have sometime to make a little bar crawl out of his wanderings; see some old friends, maybe gain a new account or two for his business. He thought better of it though. He was new in a city he knew too well, and being a returning figure, he was expected to present himself before the local prince. Now, Jan was still learning all the in and outs of vampire politics, and it didn't help that he was much more concerned with keeping his own memory intact. Still he was aware that this traditionalist ritual was held in high esteem by those in power, and if he was found to be disrespectful, well, it wouldn't be hard to disappear the once-aging man. And so, with heaved step, Jan Babyak found his way to the Gallery.

It was the perfect night for someone like him to come by. A gentrified sophisticated sort were listening to elevated poetry over a fine selection of Pinots. While Jan would never used such words to describe himself, and preferred hip hop to ancient lyricism, he did fit the bill. His hair had turned white decades ago, and his well trimmed beard and thin glasses made him look more like a professor then a former bar owner. He had even dressed up for the occasion of meeting a prince, and while his stripped vest, and Tweed Flat cap were out of style, they still portrayed a gentility, even if it was lacking in his soul. Whatever was left of his soul that is.

He strolled up the stairs, weaving his way through he Elysium. It had been many years since he had been here, and even then his Sire was not a common sight among their own kind. Still Jan held some memories of the place. He took his time gazing over the artwork, seeing what objects had rotated in and out of the collection. As he was examining a particular piece, one he was unsure of the artist, he Butterfly appeared. As she spoke, Jan adjusted his glasses; an anxious habit from his mortal life that didn't die with it.

"Thank you. Thank you very much Miss." He stopped for a moment. If it wasn't for his decades of training in the service industry, he was sure his mouth would have hung their awkwardly stuck with a word he couldn't find. Or rather a name he couldn't form. "Yes, Thank you very much Miss Mischa. I am looking forward to sharing some words with our Lordship." He Smiled again, a genuine smile, mostly since he had recalled her name in a timely manner. It would have been most inconvenient to have been blanking on such a vital piece of information on his first social outing in his old home. He glanced over at the Prince, and looked back at Mischa. "I should present myself. If you have time later, I would love to learn more about this statuette here. The blend of Modernist and Romanticism speaks to me." Only waiting a moment for an answer, Jan made his way over to the Prince.

He was careful as he approached. He had only met a few Princes in his new unlife, and each had been wildly different. Luckily Jan had met Prince Goodwood before and had found the brief interaction to be comfortable. Still Jan did not want to seem too carefree as he entered Goodwood's realm. He stopped a few paces from the brooding vampire lord, and gave a respectful short bow. "Your Lordship, I, Jan Babyak, present myself. I have recently returned to Portage, and have retained my old business storefront. I thought it vital that I give my respects to you as quickly as I could." He hoped that was formal enough. He was still learning how to speak to these powerful beings. In fact he preferred not to speak to them, rather to observe them from afar. Though part of him was excited at the prospect of intermingling with those of his kind. Throughout his life he had learned much from the social outings of his mortal life, and he suspected he could learn much from the vampiric equivalent.

Last edited by sageheart; 11-11-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 22525
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 6,902
Start of the nightLeesa rises to her alarm - usually set to 15 minutes after sundown. No need to waste time in bed. She's a bit peckish, but an ominous sensation about what is coming for the day leaves her without much of a drive to feed. After getting dressed, she checks her messages, hoping that Tavi could provide some good leads about the layout of the cemetery, and where therein eldritch horrors from man's darkest dreams might lie. She watches a few internet videos of otters to take her mind off the absurdity of what she's about to investigate.

She sniffs the cold night air with pleasure. The cold helps focus the mind. She hops in her car and drives to the meet-up.
The ElysiumLeesa is a little caught off guard by the change in genre. Apparently she had always been unlucky enough to attend on Eurotrash night in the past. The spoken word wine bar brings in a different kind of poseur, a kind that frankly cleaves closer to her own natural milieu. She looks dismissively at a few of the attendees, but it's the kind of disaffected critical dismissiveness that one is supposed to adopt when listening to avant garde poetry slams.

Worse, Prince Fancypants seems to be holding court on the premises. The bowers-and-scrapers get a true scowl of displeasure from Leesa as she steers away from that crowd and heads upstairs to the usual meeting-room.

Thomas is there waiting. She gives him a small smile and a waist-high raised hand of greeting. "G'd ev'nin. Doing any better? You weren't too happy when I dropped you off." Thomas is never one for idle chat, so she lets the conversation rest at whatever point he leaves it. In silence, she fiddles on her phone, constantly looking up to the door, waiting for someone else to enter, and get the night rolling. She keeps an eye out for Nosh, but it's Alec, finally, who enters next.

"Alec, how do? I hope you had a productive night, last night. Find out anything useful? We did not. But we do have a field trip that I think is right up your alley. So how about you show us yours, and then we can share ours?"
__________________
OUTPLAY X is live! I'll be one of your friendly neighborhood D&D GMs. May my other games forgive the distraction...

GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 18672
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,549
Jan

Even as he finished thanking her, Mischa had already begun to move on, though not in an outright rude manner, but more the casual flit as she could not truly remain still at a single bloom within her domain. Others had entered, a one eyed man approached by a woman and then a man who might be better suited a woman, if some of Jan's old crew saw him. Indeed his hair flowed far more luxuriously then the woman's own. It was toward the scattered trio that the Butterfly had begun to move, though even as she did, it was a soft smile and a knowing wink with which she made her complete parting.

Another might be insulted, among his own kind such aspects of a personality were merely another layer of colour with which to paint the great image. Still no time to consider or think upon those things, it risked the vacuum, the voices the chance to steal away so much more then a single word. He did well though, the greeting was bound to be utterly perfect, something he had worked to master without much help of his scattered Sire, a ritual born instead out of years working behind the bar and elsewhere.

Goodwood, from the sketchy memories, looked just as recalled. An enigmatic expression as he slowly turned his gaze toward Jan and then, slowly offered a small smile. "Master Babyak, I had received word that you were returning. It has been what, near a decade since you left I believe, I trust that the change within the city is not too jarring?" Gentle, a powerful, rich tone yet somehow gentle as whatever dark shadows beyond the window were left alone and the Prince's full attention was for Jan alone. How comforting, if that might be the word, the casualness of it all a refreshing, unnecessary breath compared to the often elite and utterly chilled communication with others of his 'level'. Then again, could one take it at face value, for one did not rule and maintain such a rule with kindness alone.


Leesa:
Thom looked up and offered her a small wince, through the tight smile which seemed to be his usual expression. "A b...bit. I... I don't think we should repeat that?" There was just a small hint of humour beneath the light and very real tension. For all his insecurities there was a small glimpse of the man below.


 
__________________
Covid Time: Slow return to posting expected early August with slowed but regular posting after. Normality will return once the insanity is over.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-11-2019, 02:11 AM
sageheart's Avatar
sageheart sageheart is online now
Downers 4th Regiment CO
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 7400
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Posts: 6,692
The Elysium
It really had been that long. Jan paused for a moment to briefly reflect on that. He had been gone for quite some time, though it felt almost as if he never left. Granted old shops were gone, the skyline had gained a few more buildings, and more unknown faces along the streets, but it felt the same to him. It helped that the Elysium didn't change so drastically. Vampires were immortal, and weren't going anywhere quickly, that was certain. At least most of the ones he met so far.

He halted himself before he started to get too carried away. As a mortal Jan had always been known to fade away into some internal rabbit hole of possibilities, interests, and stories, that only grew in the years following his rebirth. This was not the proper time to allow himself that joy. "Yes, a few months over in fact your lordship." He could almost feel the internal curses, had he just really corrected a Vampire Prince. He continued, hoping to brush over that fact. "Coming back to an old home is always strange; Buildings fall down, others rise, people leave and come. Luckily nothing too drastic has changed to make the return difficult. Though I have not been back long yet, I still have much to see." He paused there, hoping that was the appropriate answer. He wasn't really sure what a vampire without much status or importance like himself would be able to gain from this Prince. He had little to offer that Prince Goodwood couldn't get from someone more skilled. Plus he didn't feel comfortable barraging the Prince with questions. He had many questions, but his own sense of self preservation ensured he didn't vomit them all out.

Who he really wanted to see was Primogen Morgan MacMillan. Now that was someone who would be able to answer some of his questions, and perhaps be useful in the ways of the Madness Network. Of course Jan would have to be careful about how he spoke to that vampire too, but at least they would be from the same bloodline. Then of course there was Robbie, but that was more a friendly call. That would have to wait till after he had gotten some of these formalities out of the way first.

Slowly, and with oblivious care, Jan did allow one question to slip past him. "Are there any jarring changes I should be aware of, my Lordship? I have not been here long enough to hear all that has happened since I have been away, and I do not want to upset the current balance." In all honesty, he didn't really want to upset anything if he could help it. At least without knowing exactly what he was doing.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2020
RPXP: 11972
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,682
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Son of thieves-

-son and daughter of stolen things...

Little thief-

...I challenge that thou dost uncover what truths there are in the source of thy power...

"...thus Tremere
took power, and the clan thrived..."


There it was. Innocuous enough to anyone simply studying this primer on the thirteen clans, but when looking specifically with just enough knowledge of the potential meanings, well it became clear as the true daylight he was unlikely to ever see again. Sitting as he was in the back of his 'Uber' on his way to Elysium, Alec firmly shut the book that had been in his grasp almost from the instant he woke up as the sun barely crept beneath the horizon. Carefully placing the tome into the backpack he had packed for tonight's outing he let his unfailing mind rewind through the connecting dots and pieces again, desperately, for reasons he could not begin to understand himself, hoping for an alternative picture. But there it was. The Amaranth, as his sire had called it, was perhaps the most unforgivable act one kindred could do to another. To consume every drop of another vampire's vitae and then drink further still until their very soul followed suit.

There were drawbacks to this, but also benefits. Primarily when doing so on an earlier generation kindred with more innate power than one's own self. There were plenty of odd bloodlines out there amongst those that could be called cainites, but only thirteen bore the title Clan. Eleven of the clans had histories predating the founding of Rome, or even that of Egypt, from what he had been told. Not that much in the way of specifics of those histories were commonly known outside kindred of a certain age, or otherwise younger members from the clans involved. Not Clan Tremere. In fact, as far as he could recall, he had never even seen an actual origin date written anywhere, the oldest accounting of an event that he had personally read couldn't have been any older than the very late middle ages.

There were no doubt older manuscripts and records, but they had been kept out of those of the younger generations' reach. For reasons that were now beginning to dawn in his mind. Each clan supposedly traced its lineage back to one of the antediluvians, the infamous grandchilder of Caine supposedly, that the Tower as a whole officially did not recognize or admit to the existence of. But the Amaranth, much like the blood bond if certain almost mythical stories were accurate, could at least hypothetically be performed on a kindred of any generation by any generation. So what then happened if one of these apparent forebears was found and subsumed? He had a fairly good idea. Not that his clan was the only one to have gained its title in such manner. Well, not that he had any real proof of course. But if the boot fits, or the pattern in this case, then that did lead to certain questions regarding the Giovanni and their own similarly limited history.

Not that he had any intention of digging his nose in the necromancers' business. Not unless he had to of course, and given the happenings of late, it could very well be said that stranger things had occurred. What did all of this mean to him, personally? Nothing, as shameful as it might sound to hear it. But he was curious as always. Perhaps tonight if he was able to maintain his bearing and dare he say it, be less confrontational, with the Hydra, she might be willing to treat that thirst with the knowledge droplet containing the name of whatever clan predated his owns slot in the thirteen. Or more troubling, if their descendants were still around in the form of one of the great many bloodlines and aberrations that still stalked the night. For once he actually wondered if even Neonate Higgs knew the answer to that question.

By now he had reached his destination and much to his own surprise. The unbearably loud calamity of noise that had existed here the night before had transformed into something almost tolerable. He probably wouldn't even need his earplugs tonight. A refreshing change to be sure, particularly when his head already ached in an entirely non physical manner just from the revelations that had been made clear to him tonight. But he had places to be, and only a brief moment later he was already checking both his stake as well as a couple items from his backpack in with the individual manning the divide between the normal club, and the supernatural Elysium. As he made haste to ascend to the previously planned meeting room, Alec's eyes and ears did not fail to notice the Prince, Ethan Goodwood, holding court in one area of the neutral ground. He had enough time to see and hear what was ongoing to realize a new arrival was making their Presentation to the ruler of the local Camarilla.

It did certainly make him think back to his own presentation a little over a month prior, an affair he had been entirely glad to get over and end as quickly as respect and requirements allowed. Alec kept his ears attuned to the happens as best he could as continued onwards to meet up with the others. The warlock found a particularly shaky looking Thomas alongside Leesa awaiting him when he entered. The resident attorney of their still rather impromptu coterie was quick to greet them, and he himself was certainly eager enough to respond. "I did indeed have a productive night after we parted last. Perhaps more so earlier this very one even. Some of it will be beyond that which I am allowed to share, but most I am free to speak on. However, if you don't mind I prefer to wait for Rita to arrive before I give the full details if possible, all the better to save time without having to repeat myself." Alec looks about, then shuts his eyes and carefully listens and even smells for their missing member. "Where is Rita anyway? And who is this Nosferatu whose name you mentioned via text shortly before sunup?"


__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.

Last edited by Yuul; 11-12-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 22525
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 6,902
LeesaAs she waits for Alec, Leesa finally grabs a chance to check her messages for the day. She first gets a bored eyes yeah-yeah-yeah expression, nodding at the message to get on with it. Then her eyes open wider, no longer bored at all. She looks a little guiltily over at Thomas, but goes back to the message to read it over again.

"So uh..." she starts, but then Alex enters. She greets him, and then he promises grand revelations that simply can't be spoiled by telling more than once. She raises an irritated eyebrow at the predictable vampire over-dramatics. He asks after Rita. Leesa shrugs. "Dunno, haven't seen her yet. She seems always caught up in some negotiation or another here, so I assumed she'd leave us waiting again. You know how Kindred like to keep everyone waiting on their every word." She lets that snark hang in the air for a moment, then adds, "Maybe we should call her."

He asks about Nosh. "The Nosferatu? Nosh. Nathaniel, I think? Nosh. I just met him, maybe Thomas can tell you more. We hit it off. I guess he's associated with the Crew. Y'know, those biker bar manly-men, kept on a tight leash by the Sheriff? He was there with David, Thomas' Primogen. Let's just say that I sent David off with his tail between his legs," she smirks and looks upwards with a look of sweet who-me? innocence that suggests she is glossing over some major details, "and Nosh was a solid comrade who stuck around and was willing to work together for the greater good." It only occurs to her now to wonder if she really should have trusted Nosh with as many details as she did. But the Nosferatu was in David's confidence, and David certainly knew the major outlines of the hunt.

"Anyways," she inelegantly transitions. "We've got something right up your alley. I mean devil-pacts and calling darkness from the void or whatever." She looks back again at Thomas, grabbing his attention. "Our tracking of this 'Demon' led us to a cemetery. Right in the middle of town. Turns out, says my assistant, that it's famously the most haunted place in town. Well, Thomas had been having luck talking with those chitter-chatter voices all night. So we thought we'd keep up the streak and see if they'd chat with us at the cemetery."

Her usual droll prodding deadpan goes away, and Leesa looks earnestly regretful. "That was maybe not the best idea. It got bad. All sorts of darkness came up, tried to envelop us. Chittering and talking and threats. Even I could hear them clearly. Then, uh, THOMAS..." she gives a fleeting glance over to him again, not sure how comfortable the Gangrel is with talking about what exact flavor of 'Thomas' was doing the heavy lifting there. "got things straightened out and suggested we ought to be better prepared before we get serious about that place. Do you have any kind of preparations for those sorts of encounters?" she asks Alec.

"Actually my notes here say there's a whole ghost walk, and the old cemetery is just one stop. Haunted churches, the settlement's first fort overlooking the harbor. If we can't pin this Demon's location to one place, it might be worth our while to take the whole walk ourselves. Rule out all the old haunts."
__________________
OUTPLAY X is live! I'll be one of your friendly neighborhood D&D GMs. May my other games forgive the distraction...

GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 18672
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,549
JanThe Prince offered a slight smile, the expression one that a friend might give to another when in the process of sharing a particular secret. "A small pleasure of the East Coast, the resistance to change is something the living cling to here, it does aid in lessening the level of shock when one has been away a short time. There are some places that one merely blinks an eye and the world has changed beyond recognition. Still... change does still make itself known here." There was something in the way that Prince Goodwood had chosen to speak which offered a kind of resonation with Jan, the cadence, or perhaps it was more the content felt something more akin to something his Sire might have said. A visual truth wrapped in colourful words, but still a truth all the same.

"It is fitting, that you might ask such a thing though, change does seem to have found a small foothold here once more, or maybe it might be better explained as an upheaval. We had some tragic... finalities merely a few nights past. The aftereffects are still being felt, we are not so... able to handle such sudden unexpected things so well now hmm? There is still much that is unknown, but as far as balance can be attained, at the moment you might say, we are all swinging about while the fulcrum seeks to settle the weights back into their new places."

There seemed to be an absolute lack of actual useful details beyond the fact that some of their 'own' had clearly perished, and if words were to be trusted, it seemed that the cause of such things was not known, or more reported, if he had any ounce of faith in just how authority tended to handle such things, among the Kine or Kindred.

 
__________________
Covid Time: Slow return to posting expected early August with slowed but regular posting after. Normality will return once the insanity is over.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2019, 10:23 PM
sageheart's Avatar
sageheart sageheart is online now
Downers 4th Regiment CO
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 7400
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Posts: 6,692
Fear in a Prince
The Prince's words resonated with Jan. They mimicked the old philadelphian personal feelings on the evolution of urban sprawls. When he was younger he had toyed with being an urban planner, but could never handle the math courses. But the interest was still prevalent. And in his immortality, he had found that watching the slow movement of human development even more fascinating.

"I couldnt have said it better myself, my lord." Jan said with true genuine.

As the prince moved on to answer Jan's question, Jan could feel the unease creeping under his stately facade. It was unnerving to say the least. Then the word struck him; finalities. Such a unwavering word. Most likely it seemed some of their own. Jan had many more questions.

"That is sad news indeed. If there is anything I can do to assist, it is but for you to command.", Jan wasnt sure if he really wanted to offer his assistance and get dragged in over his head. But he was intrigued, and it seemed like the proper thing to do.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-25-2019, 10:02 AM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 18672
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,549
JanThe trouble with Elders was their infuriating ability to maintain an utter and perfect mask. That it fell back into place so quickly could almost leave Jan with the impression that he had imagined the flicker, and yet he knew it to be true, a small glimpse into the truth of the man, nay the Beast who stood before him now. Goodwood inclined his head, seemingly unaware that his facade had been dismantled and rebuilt while he stood simply conversing, the lightest of smiles now traced across his features.

"A generous offer when I am most confident you have a million little details to see to in your resettlement. Perhaps, for the time being, if you might keep your eyes and ears open for what might lurk about? Often fresh eyes to a place brings about the most interesting perceptions. Though do... please, ensure you find yourself settled and acquainted with your fellows." Layers within layers of innuendo, of meaning. A refusal, an acceptance, a suggestion, all wrapped up in the awareness that this was not some career counselor, but the man who held official life and death within the bounds of his territory.


Leesa, Thomas and AlecThomas shifted slightly, the smallest grimace evident as Leesa began to explain their illthought out attempt to contact spirits at a graveyard of all places. Really when one stepped back to consider it, it had been a foolish and likely very dangerous endeavor of an experiment with his seemingly 'new ability'. Still as she continued and spoke of an entire ghost walk, he seemed torn as to whether he ought to be interested or shudder in response to what it might mean.

"D...David left word... le, left word that... that he made tentative contact... w...wont have a re-response until they decide... but he will let us, let us know o..once he does Leesa. B...but do you th... think this g-ghost walk is something we can use?"
__________________
Covid Time: Slow return to posting expected early August with slowed but regular posting after. Normality will return once the insanity is over.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2020
RPXP: 11972
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,682
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
He took her snarky response with a grin all his own. An honest on at that. But the sheer fact that he was even present tonight and still unliving had him riding on a high that had yet to quite come down since leaving Higgs' office. Well that, and he enjoyed Leesa's barbs and tone every bit as much as he did the previous night. It, dare he think it, amused him. That was, of course, even before she arrived at the happenings with the Gangrel Primogen. Now there was an event he wished to have seen himself. It also something of a challenge, perhaps he really should have sought out the Regent to tell her off last night? Presuming that had not been her hiding underneath Neonate Higgs' desk like some naughty schoolgirl getting interrupted in the process of seeking out higher grades.

But alas for the moment he would have to settle with maintaining his two elders to her one Primogen and simply make plans for later. Unless the Hydra counted, did she? Eh, half a point at best. The fiend had given as good as she received after all. Still against a Primogen on the score card he felt that his two and a half elders weren't quite stacking up. He really had to focus on something else. Anything else. Ah! Graveyards and sadly common but wildly inaccurate assumptions about Clan Tremere! Perfect! Not that the resident attorney needed to know that her words helped him escape that rather inconvenient mental maze. She might charge him for it. His grin growing ever so slightly at the thought he moves to respond even as he shoots Rita a text.

"First off, Clan Tremere does not consort with demons or devils, nor whatever else you wish to call the Fallen. Those few stupid impatient fledglings that have done so don't last long, and the results are much the same for any other that makes such bargains. Namely that what you get is not anywhere close to what you pay for it in the process."

"Secondly, Clan Tremere is not composed of necromancers. While I have heard of some rare branches of Thaumaturgy, the clan's blood sorcery, that allow some interaction or observation of spirits, it is not really under our purview." Alec shrugs. "Not necessarily for lack of trying mind you, as some warlocks, my sire included, have often dreamed or desired to add it to our portfolio as it were. However Clan Giovanni guards their secrets of that art almost as well as we guard our own. The same can be said of the smaller bloodlines that are known to practice it or similar powers."

Finally taking one of the chairs as opposed to standing, the sole warlock present tonight takes a brief pause. "Nor do I have our Thomas' gift of seeing and hearing through the veil as it were. Still the dead, or at least those more so than ourselves, have been rather helpful before and I am of limited options on what else to do to gain further information before we inevitably must reconvene with the Hydra. Although depending on what our friend Rita responds with I may as well end up spilling on my end."


__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.

Last edited by Yuul; 11-25-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-26-2019, 03:27 PM
sageheart's Avatar
sageheart sageheart is online now
Downers 4th Regiment CO
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 7400
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Posts: 6,692
Jan
It took Jan a moment to realize that in that faint moment, Jan had witnessed a piece of the Beast that lurked within the Prince. It unnerved him still. At least when the beast enveloped him, he still maintained a sense of self. That grounded him, gave him something to assist in understanding the beast, coming to terms with it. When he saw the beast in others, he had little to compare it to, and it made the experience more alien to him.

Of course it was short lived. So short, Jan couldnt help but wonder if a peer with more awareness then himself had tapped into his conscience. If so it was a fair payment for the two hours yesterday that he couldnt remember how to parallel park. It took him an additional thirty minutes to find a garage that was still open.

"Yes, while I have much to do, it would be a honor to be of any assistance. I will remain forever vigilant in these tiring times. Unless you desire me further, I will not take any more of your precious time, my Lord." The presence of the beast is enough for Jan to want to escape to other reaches. Plus there seemed to be little more the prince wishes to say, and he was right, Jan had a lot more to accomplish.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-26-2019, 06:53 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 22525
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 6,902
LeesaAlec spends a lot of time splitting hairs about what kind of magic is 'necromancy' versus 'Fallen'-talk, versus... well, whatever it is he ACTUALLY does. Which Leesa is not at all clear about. She shrugs. "Suit yourself. No offense intended. I'm sure whatever your magic does is noble and pure. But if it can't straighten out the leads we've got in front of us..."

Thomas asks about whether a tour of Portage's most haunted places is really necessary. "I'm going to be honest, I've got no ideas, right about now, about what's useful in all this. Our Hydra friend said that I was supposed to make War on this demon. And you are supposed to Hunt. If we probe around the cemetery again," Leesa notices Thomas wince, "in a more circumspect manner! And we find nothing... then we need to keep Hunting. Your chitterers suggested we need to talk to find some ghosts, yeah? If the downtown cemetery turns up nothing useful, then my next best idea is to probe at all the other old spirits in town. Someone who was around long enough ago to have seen all these Stories first-hand."

Thinking about Alec's objections, Leesa pauses for a moment. He had mentioned Giovanni. She had heard something about them before. Back when things were bad. Folk were grumbling... 'Dirty grave-robbers won't choose sides. Too busy coining coins...'

"Hey," she says, connecting a few dots. "If your clan can't talk to devils and dead and whatever, and that's what we need to do - without putting Thomas at risk - why don't we try to get one of those Giovanni to help? They can't be much more expensive than a lawyer per hour, huh? 'Necromantic consultant.' Find one who's short on cash, drag them with us out to the right hole-in-the-ground. Get some answers, track down our Demons. Easy enough." Leesa nods at the clear efficient simplicity of her plan.
__________________
OUTPLAY X is live! I'll be one of your friendly neighborhood D&D GMs. May my other games forgive the distraction...

GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 18672
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,549
JanIt was with a slight inclination of his head that Goodwood dismissed the man, a motion so subtle and yet in it, a level of elegance from which something deep within Jan recognized, or was it another? Still, it was a polite dismissal framed in the act of a powerful subservience. How did he manage that, to exude such power and yet in the same span of time, seem almost the humble servant? A step away from the man, from the window and the neon lit city did little to answer that question, and perhaps in all truth and reality, it was better to not understand the ways of utter power, for to know was to place oneself in opposition, in challenge to the forces which move.

Thus he was left to consider, to ponder what steps might come next. What propriety and what actions ought to be taken before he might consider himself well and fully settled once more in the place which had forever seemed to be 'home'. It was a mercy truly, that he had been allowed back, for how many times had it been whispered that one was not always welcome in the place of their birth? And yet there seemed to be a cloud which still hovered, remained over the place, this was no joyful homecoming, but a tentative dance in the steps of a game he hoped to exist carefully on the edges.

A slight laugh, light and feathery, rolled over Jan. An announcement far more present then abrupt words, the gentle joy of the Butterfly, Mistress Mischa. She had always seemed a ray of sunshine in the chaos, a welcoming face even when the madness had first tried to steal away all his thoughts, and, if one might call it thus, a truly friendly face in the darkness. "I trust that went well Master Babyak?"




Alec and LeesaThomas tilted his head, that one eye a brilliant orb, wide and alert as he took in Leesa's thoughts and seemed to have some of his own in response. "I... I think th... that is part of it... b... but bringing in some... someone else is, is not smiled on? Wh... what if... if you are right th...though, hunting, a... a Ghost walk, it... it is like a map? Stories, m... myths are born out of facts, I... I mean... look at, at us? Th...there was something at the gr...graveyard, I... I think there is something to be f...found in looking into it, even...if, if we don't try to summon things? It... it called you Hunter ri...right... so following instincts is... is wise?"

__________________
Covid Time: Slow return to posting expected early August with slowed but regular posting after. Normality will return once the insanity is over.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-02-2019, 03:34 PM
sageheart's Avatar
sageheart sageheart is online now
Downers 4th Regiment CO
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 7400
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Posts: 6,692
Jan
Jan could feel another wave of questions and concerns wash over him. Quickly, as he turned away with another bow, he dammed them up. He had already learned during his travels that inquisitive outbursts were not polite, and that Jan was prone to such outbursts. It came down to his mortal self; where he was his own boss, with employees and responsibilities. He had reached a point in his life where he didn't need to kiss ass any more, and was respected and well known among those that mattered in his business. Now, things were different now. There were politics he was not even fully aware of yet, and people he had to show respect for. As much as he understood how to make himself presentable, he had grown tired of it. Granted, his awareness of the finality that could occur at a mere misstep kept that weariness in check.

It was a relief when Jan heard Mischa's mystical laugh. He wasn't sure if it was visible or not, and decided not to worry if it did. He let out the best smile he could muster after the confusing and possibly dangerous news he had heard. Had he actually heard it, or was it just alluded to. "Yes it did, Mistress Mischa. It seems there has been quite a few changes since I was here last. I heard there were some finalities. My condolences." Here Jan paused, waiting to see if just the mention of the recent deaths brought any response from the joyful vampire. "I feel that I should finish my formalities as soon as possible, so I could then focus on reestablishing my home here. Would you happen to know where Master Morgan MacMillan would be? I should pay him my respects as well."

Last edited by sageheart; 12-02-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB