Game Thread ??-?: We're Going to Have... Tryouts - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Arbiters of a New Age M&M 3e
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-03-2019, 07:09 PM
WhovianBeast's Avatar
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast is offline
Entirely Ridiculous
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6077
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Posts: 20,323
??-?: We're Going to Have... Tryouts

Wraith
You wake up in a cramped room, roughly cubical and two meters on a side. The four walls are metal, the floor and ceiling smooth stone, and there's an hourglass embedded in the wall in front of you, nearly empty of its sand. The only light is that of a single candle flame, flickering in front of the glass. You're still in Vulcan's armor, but your Death gauntlets have been replaced with simple kevlar gloves.

There are no evident doors, windows, or hatches into here, much less any furniture, but it looks to be only a few more minutes until the sand runs out. There's no waste or food on the floor, or marks on the wall, and the air is still reasonably fresh. You're unrestrained, you haven't been here too long, and it looks like you won't be here for too much longer.

Kodama
You wake up in a cramped room, roughly cubical and two meters on a side. The four walls are metal, the floor and ceiling smooth stone, and there's an hourglass embedded in the wall in front of you, nearly empty of its sand. The only light is that of a single candle flame, flickering in front of the glass. You're dressed in the composite armor of the Empyrean, and your dagger is still by your side, but the symbol of Ferocus lies dull and dark; no summoning remains.

There are no evident doors, windows, or hatches into here, much less any furniture, but it looks to be only a few more minutes until the sand runs out. There's no waste or food on the floor, or marks on the wall, and the air is still reasonably fresh. You're unrestrained, you haven't been here too long, and it looks like you won't be here for too much longer.

Enoch
You wake up in a cramped room, roughly cubical and two meters on a side. The four walls are metal, the floor and ceiling smooth stone, and there's an hourglass embedded in the wall in front of you, nearly empty of its sand. The only light is that of a single candle flame, flickering in front of the glass. You're dressed in the composite armor of the Empyrean, and in the corner, you spot the tell-tale dormant form of Steve. There's no sign of Kali, nor anything else.

There are no evident doors, windows, or hatches into here, much less any furniture, but it looks to be only a few more minutes until the sand runs out. There's no waste or food on the floor, or marks on the wall, and the air is still reasonably fresh. You're unrestrained, you haven't been here too long, and it looks like you won't be here for too much longer.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Not Me
"You know chicken pot pie? It's an affront to every god in the multiverse."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Me
"Then I will defy heaven!"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Acathala's Avatar
Acathala Acathala is offline
Consilio Et Prudentia
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 4939
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Posts: 17,376
Well f*** me sideways. Wraith thinks as he wakes. Who, what, where and why? Have to be someone fairly powerful. So most likely the Arbiters, heaven or hell. If it's the Arbiters, this might be a test of some kind. I would suspect Lord Death in that case. If it was Famine, I think he would be more of a c*** about it. If it's heaven this might be a test too, or a simple straight up abduction. Hell might have abducted to keep me out of the way of their plans. The big problem with it being either heaven or hell, is how did they find me? Are the others affected in some way? Is this even real? Hourglass makes me think test. Why give me weapons at all? Or let me keep my armour? Wraith checks to see if his other abilities work, teleport and invisibility. He's extremely suspicious of his surroundings, as he's just thought it could be a powerful telepath messing with head. The boy ninja considers the situation very carefully and looks around for clues.
Dice Investigation, insight and perception:
1d20+18 (4)+18 Total = 22
1d20+18 (11)+18 Total = 29
1d20+18 (13)+18 Total = 31
__________________
Cogito ergo sum

Last edited by Acathala; 12-03-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 PM
WhovianBeast's Avatar
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast is offline
Entirely Ridiculous
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6077
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Posts: 20,323
Wraith
Both teleportation and cloaking seem to function as usual, though it's noticeably easier to teleport away from the walls than toward them, and it's hard to shake the sixth sense that you're being watched.

The featureless room doesn't give much to work with, and that hourglass could have been manufactured by anybody with a handful of dust and glassblowing. You're the only one here, and there appear to be no sort of runes, sigils, or traps laid out to prevent your escape... if only there were a door. There also doesn't appear to be any way to re-light the burning candle, though it burns bright for the moment.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Not Me
"You know chicken pot pie? It's an affront to every god in the multiverse."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Me
"Then I will defy heaven!"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2019, 09:16 PM
gravenimages's Avatar
gravenimages gravenimages is online now
Code for tacos
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6025
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Posts: 12,260
Enoch

Matt isn't quick to wake up in the best of circumstances, so the unfamiliar surroundings give him a start. A quick look around, and some tactile confirmation of his surroundings give his brain time to catch up. Don't suppose this is some kind of prank? he very much hopes to hear Kali respond. While he waits he closes his eyes momentarily, putting a had to his head to keep from reeling... Then opens them again and looks around.

Belatedly: Wake it up, Steve. And keep quiet.

__________________
One more bad decision and I think I'll own the full set.

Last edited by gravenimages; 12-03-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Shylocke's Avatar
Shylocke Shylocke is offline
Lies and Trickery
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6489
Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke
Posts: 8,583
Kodama blinks her eyes awake, but the next moment she's extremely wide awake and alert. This was not where she had fallen asleep. She looks everywhere, but there's nothing to look at. There's nothing anywhere. There's no cracks, there's no vents, there's no door, there's nothing. Just a candle. A candle burning out the limited oxygen she possibly had left? Spurred by the notion of suffocating, Kodama quickly blows out the candle. It's not like the light made any difference to her sight whatsoever.

Stillness...

Coming down from her uber alert state, Kodama tries to take stock of the situation more acutely. Somehow she's in Empyrean armor, her dagger is with her... thank g-... oh wait, it's not active. What the heck? There's an hourglass, which is ominous, but not much else. "Hello Gunther? Anyone?" Kodama asks out loud through PlagueNET before realizing that too is completely inoperable.

There was nothing here, nothing happening. Kodama's eyes flick over to the hourglass again, the only thing of any apparent consequence and watches the grains of sand tick time away.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Acathala's Avatar
Acathala Acathala is offline
Consilio Et Prudentia
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 4939
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Posts: 17,376
Wraith tries to flip the hourglass. He knows that this is some sort of test. However he'll play along for now.
__________________
Cogito ergo sum
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 PM
WhovianBeast's Avatar
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast is offline
Entirely Ridiculous
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6077
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Posts: 20,323
Wraith
The hourglass flips over without trouble, and the grains reverse, pouring back through at the same rate.

Enoch
There's no response from Kali, but Steve wakes up almost immediately, legs and rotors unfolding from his body. <<Yes boss?>> he asks over radio. <<Where are we? I have no GPS signal>>

Despite Nos' senses, you still can barely hear anything, except for the quiet whirring of Steve's internal mechanisms, the beat of your own heart, and the quiet trickling of sand.


Kodama, Enoch, and Wraith
Patience pays off. As the last grains of sand trickle through the hourglass -or when they would have, for a certain ten-year-old flipmeister-, a quiet click is heard, and a seam appears in a wall, outlining a door before it swings open ever so slightly, revealing dim light from the other side... but nobody comes through.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Not Me
"You know chicken pot pie? It's an affront to every god in the multiverse."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Me
"Then I will defy heaven!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 PM
Shylocke's Avatar
Shylocke Shylocke is offline
Lies and Trickery
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6489
Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke
Posts: 8,583
A wooden staff appears in Kodama's hands when the door opens, and she calls out through the crack that appears. "Hello anyone there? Hello?" The silence and stillness were quite unnerving. Why was she here? What the heck was going on? She felt like she was in the middle of one of those horror movies her ex-boyfriend Jack loved so much.

There didn't seem to be much point in staying still, so a tide of green surges through the opening and beyond, letting the woman 'peek' around the corner so to speak. The blonde herself strides through the door only a second later, pushing the portal open with her wooden staff.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2019, 11:10 PM
gravenimages's Avatar
gravenimages gravenimages is online now
Code for tacos
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6025
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Posts: 12,260
Enoch

Well. Crap. Enoch stares at the hourglass, watching a second or two to estimate time remaining. No gps... No Plaguenet? AllKali? Anyone? He waits a few seconds for an answer that doesn't come, then on a whim snuffs out the candle.
__________________
One more bad decision and I think I'll own the full set.

Last edited by gravenimages; 12-04-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2019, 03:29 AM
WhovianBeast's Avatar
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast is offline
Entirely Ridiculous
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6077
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Posts: 20,323
Enoch
Steve skitters closer to you, then toward the cracked open door. <<Nobody's there, boss!>>

There's no response; not even the usual sibilant failure-to-connect message.

right-aligned image
Kodama
Your plants appear as you command, just as expected.

As soon as you cross the threshold, the door seals behind you, again leaving an unblemished wall. However, THIS room is much more interesting than the last; for one, there's a ladder on the far wall leading to a hatch in the ceiling, and yellowish incandescent bulbs glow from the ceiling.

There's a veritable arsenal of weapons here: modern firearms and ammunition, muskets, swords, polearms, blades of all kinds, with the whetstones to keep them sharp; brass knuckles, maces, flails, bows and crossbows... easily tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars were poured into gathering as broad an array of weapons as possible, some of which you can't even name.

In the corner sits an empty canvas duffelbag, as well as an orderly pile of spell reagents... you quickly recognize it as your 'go bag' and ingredients. On the long table next to it is piled still more reagents: gold and gemstone dust, assorted teeth and herbs, blood... somebody knew what they were doing. There don't appear to be any mystical ingredients -none of the teeth were yanked from a dragon, there's no unicorn horn, no phoenix feathers- but apart from that, there's enough to make a sorcerer giddy... or suspicious.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Not Me
"You know chicken pot pie? It's an affront to every god in the multiverse."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Me
"Then I will defy heaven!"

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 12-04-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-04-2019, 05:31 AM
Acathala's Avatar
Acathala Acathala is offline
Consilio Et Prudentia
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 4939
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Posts: 17,376
Wraith heads through the door. I'm more convinced than ever this is some sort of test. Perhaps I never left my room.
__________________
Cogito ergo sum
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-04-2019, 06:50 AM
gravenimages's Avatar
gravenimages gravenimages is online now
Code for tacos
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6025
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Posts: 12,260
Enoch

Aright. You're a good egg, Steve. Enoch pushes the door open, looks out tentatively before stepping through. What's going on?
__________________
One more bad decision and I think I'll own the full set.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-04-2019, 11:13 AM
WhovianBeast's Avatar
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast is offline
Entirely Ridiculous
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6077
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Posts: 20,323
right-aligned image
Enoch
As soon as you and Steve have both crossed the threshold, the door seals behind you, again leaving an unblemished wall. However, THIS room is much more interesting than the last; for one, there's a wooden door on the far end of the room, and orange torches flicker and glow from the walls around.

There's a veritable arsenal of weapons here: modern firearms and ammunition, muskets, swords, polearms, blades of all kinds, with the whetstones to keep them sharp; brass knuckles, maces, flails, bows and crossbows... easily tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars were poured into gathering as broad an array of weapons as possible. In the corner sits a long table, with reagents next to it: gold and gemstone dust, assorted teeth and herbs, blood... sadly, you appear just shy of the ingredients to open a portal to Death, particularly since one blonde ex-servant is notably absent.

However, you spot several pounds of dried, nonperishable food; fruit, meat, and nuts, all gathered conveniently near a clear plastic pouch.

Also on the far table sits a rectangular tablet, couched in a shockproof military-grade case. Steve skitters over to it and looks it over. <<Looks like the real deal, boss!>>

Wraith
As soon as you cross the threshold, the door seals behind you, again leaving an unblemished wall. However, THIS room is much more interesting than the last; for one, there's a wooden door on the far end of the room, and orange torches flicker and glow from the walls around.

There's a veritable arsenal of weapons here: modern firearms and ammunition, muskets, swords, polearms, blades of all kinds, with the whetstones to keep them sharp; brass knuckles, maces, flails, bows and crossbows... easily tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars were poured into gathering as broad an array of weapons as possible. You spot an AM rifle just like your own, as well as an M32 'Piglet' grenade launcher, and a Danish halberd.

In the corner sits a long table, with reagents next to it: gold and gemstone dust, assorted teeth and herbs, blood... sure would be nice if you knew any magic. However, you spot several pounds of dried, nonperishable food; fruit, meat, and nuts, all gathered conveniently near a clear plastic pouch.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Not Me
"You know chicken pot pie? It's an affront to every god in the multiverse."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Me
"Then I will defy heaven!"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Acathala's Avatar
Acathala Acathala is offline
Consilio Et Prudentia
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 4939
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Posts: 17,376
Wraith frowns as this is confirmation of it being some sort of test or competition for him. He collects the anti-material rifle with the usual mods, which is suspicious, the grenade launcher, ammo for both, throwing grenades, a couple of knives, whetstone and enough rations to do him a couple of days. Wraith paused, considering something. He takes some of the magic ingredients. He isn't magically inclined but some of his allies were. I really dislike this.
Wraith opens the wooden door a bit, to spy on the outside.
Dice perception:
1d20+18 (16)+18 Total = 34
__________________
Cogito ergo sum
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Shylocke's Avatar
Shylocke Shylocke is offline
Lies and Trickery
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-27-2020
RPXP: 6489
Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke
Posts: 8,583
With the door sealed again behind her, Kodama tries to see if any of the plants she created in that tiny beginning room can still be accessed via her plant senses or whether whatever madness she was experiencing meant she was cut off from them forever.

After that, it's a slow perusal of this particular room for items of significance. Her go-bag and it's ingredients emptied out catch her eye immediately. The first thing she does is scoop it all up into the bag and shoulder the duffel bag ready to go. There was nothing to indicate that there'd be any forest spirits to perform transportation, but at least she could take a stab at it with the ingredients she had.

What is this all even for? Kodama wondered. Where am I? What the heck is going on!? Is this a test? A dream? After a few moments of standing there with her hands on her hips and feeling bewildered, Kodama just shrugs her shoulders and picks up a few choice weapons. A kukri, a pistol and a very solid looking shotgun. Kodama adds a couple boxes of shells and bullets into her go-bag and sheathes or slings all her weapons.

With a big sigh of futility and lack of understanding about what was going on, she reluctantly heads for the ladder to open the hatch and let her
Dice Perception:
1d20+9 (16)+9 Total = 25
plants peek through again before she does so herself.

Last edited by Shylocke; 12-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB