Story Chapter One: On the Banks of the Reinfleur - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Archebolds Archaeological Expeditionary Enterprise
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 04:04 PM
Aoem's Avatar
Aoem Aoem is offline
Chaotic Good Mindflayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 28th, 2020
RPXP: 556
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Posts: 521
Chapter One: On the Banks of the Reinfleur

It is nearly a full phase of the moons cycle past the winter solstice when the expeditionaries decided to depart upon their mission the following morning. It is night time, the group is camped on the northern high bluff bank of the ReinFleur River. This is the meeting spot that all of the new recruits were directed to make they way to, where they would ‘fall into the ranks’ and be welcomed by the rest of the company.

The talk around the great cook fire this evening is full of anticipation. Some dozens of Archies Boldest’ make Boasts, while others play drums and bellow bardic tales into the nights crisp air.

The newcomers are being communally welcomed this evening with a great toast. A burly dwarf known as The iron knuckled bronze beard’ (in common, although his dwarven name is much more eloquent)

Old iron Knuckles calls out to the new comers, compelling them with bravado and gusto through his hearty words. " May your flagon be full all the ways until we journey home again! May your backsides never break upon the hard roads, and may you always have the best of luck!"

There is a great roaring of support and cheering as each newcomer receives a recruit pin. A large silver lapel that can be affixed anywhere upon their clothing. The pin displays crossed bones.

It is then when the last recruit has been given his pin that a loud horn sounds from below the bluff. Many rush over to the edge of the cliff side and gaze down into the waters below.

There appears to be a floundering mass of people trying to swim across the icy current of the ReinFleur, a man on the other side is holding a torch up, waving it back and forth and blowing the horn to signal to the expeditionary camp.

It is evident that the people’s trying to swim across the River are in a state of frenzy and panic.
__________________
Posting Status:On Schedule
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 02:45 AM
Valornor's Avatar
Valornor Valornor is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 31st, 2020
RPXP: 281
Valornor Valornor Valornor
Posts: 627
right-aligned image

Surmising that something dangerous must be chasing the panic people. Standing at the edge of the bluff, Keridan swiftly strings his longbow and nocks an arrow. Ready to shoot at any foul foe that may appear on the far bank of the river below. (PP15)

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1918011

Last edited by Valornor; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 03:26 AM
Pestus's Avatar
Pestus Pestus is offline
The best at being humble
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 28th, 2020
RPXP: 285
Pestus Pestus Pestus
Posts: 130
Myles Irason (Fighter 1)
right-aligned image


Following the crowd, Myles makes his way to the edge of the river bank. Observing the frantic mass of swimmers, he tips his ale mug bottoms up, finishing the last of his drink in one big swallow and wiping his mouth on his arm. He un-slings his shield and fastens it to his left arm.

Flashing back to his days in the army, muscle memory begins to take over but he resists the urge to start shouting order. Instead choosing to observe the waters and far bank, looking for anything hostile. He begins to formulate a battle plan in his head.

 


 

__________________
"I got the lich a phylactery, liches love phylacteries."
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 02:06 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 13940
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 7,533
"Probably ought to help them out." Is what the elven woman said while what she was thinking was more along the lines of which ones looked like they had a decent money purse and where could she get closest to any sort of lock box or the like. Things like that, while important, tended to get a bit less important when the occupants of a vehicle were in need of aid. Now that isn't to say that Velvet wouldn't help, because, of course she would. It's just that gold was a great motivator in many of her actions.

So down she went to render aid and render herself some potential gold pieces.

 


 
__________________
The Sleeping Goddess continues her slumber. Once day she may awaken...

Last edited by Ysolde; Jan 7th, 2020 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 06:43 AM
Ermine Ermine is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 663
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
Posts: 518
Micarniss, knowing there was likely danger coming, led to them by these other people, cast mage armor to protect herself, should they get close. She wasn't really worried about the safety of the other people, as she wasn't going to be paid for doing so. Or...maybe she would. But she was most concerned about her own safety. Her wife, Trill, would hunt down her ghost and kill her again if she died here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 05:01 PM
voodoozombie's Avatar
voodoozombie voodoozombie is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 1691
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Posts: 2,870
Eimin Mikoyose

Eimin Mikoyose

 

 



Eimin was fascinated by the cross bone pin she just received. Although she couldn't make the connection between pirates and Archaeology Expeditions. Didn't pirates only do pirate things out on the sea? As she tried to reason this out, she hears the horn being blown. Curious about the sound she joins the others at the edge of the cliff. There she see a group of people struggling in the water while someone was trying to get others to help him.

Now this really fascinated Eimin a lot. So much about humanoid behavior that she didn't understand. She understood the need to protect the den or village from danger. That was a given. But she didn't understand why would anyone rush into danger when the den, or camp in this case, wasn't in danger. Ture the humanoids struggling in the water where fleeing something. However everyone up the cliff is safe, so why go towards what ever is chasing the them?

Eimin decided to stay where she was and watch what was going on. Maybe someone would explain it to her later.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Aoem's Avatar
Aoem Aoem is offline
Chaotic Good Mindflayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 28th, 2020
RPXP: 556
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Posts: 521
*
Men and women up on the bluff looked down upon the gasping faces and panicked bodies. Choking and sputtering noises could be heard over the splashing of shivering bodies moving through the current. Some few of the panicked mass seemed to be making their way to safety, while many lock up and succumb to the frigid dark water, their breathing becoming frantic as they convulse and the current sweeps them down the river.

Rope ladders were flung off the side of the cliff, large stakes pounded into the earth, anchoring these lifelines. Several brave folk of the expedition's camp made their way down the bluff, their legs kicking up sand and cold earth as they raced to the shores edge to render aid to the few swimmers who could make it across. .

On the other side, the torch wielding man waves frantically with his white hot bundle of pitch and tar. The flames sputter and drip while he screams at the ones who are paralyzed by the cold hands of the frigid death that moves through their muscles and shuts down their nerves.
He watches and falls to his knees on the frozen bank.. His hand beating against the ground as he howls into the nights air, a rasping and broken cry..

Suddenly, an immense javelin emerges through his chest, staking him to the earth upon which he kneels, his chest slumps over and his body convulses upon the wooden spear..

Some of the swimmers are reaching the far side of the safe bank, coming to warm hands and dry furs provided by the ones who went down to assist.

Of the dozens who attempted to swim the crossing, only some hand and a half made it across the black waters. .




ooDM
Those with Darkvision are able to discern a silhouette of the creature that threw the Javelin.
Four legs, hoofs, long tail, torso and head of a man.
__________________
Posting Status:On Schedule

Last edited by Aoem; Jan 14th, 2020 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 04:38 PM
KhamLuc's Avatar
KhamLuc KhamLuc is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 1968
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
Posts: 1,916


Mascarade quit the end of the file following everyone. He was observing the behavior of each one around him since he joins the group.

When it was time for him to do the 'Ritual', he tries to make the same thing as everyone before him has done that seem to be approved positively by others. When he received his 'pin' he claims high and dry:

"Happy to make you proud" ...
"Mascarade Thank you to upgrade our skin... "
"We will be grateful for Eternity...since he's not present with Vicinity. She's always around Anyway "


Then his attention brings his curiosity toward the chasm where all others gather to see what happening and ASK out Loud to those near him.

"Explain why they dance without musical enhancement toward the flicker being?"

Mascarade turn toward the "Pin's Giver"

"Are you gonna be pleased to have them stop shouting, or you like the sound of IT?"


Action&Roll of Mascarade
 

Stat Block of Mascarade ****WIP***
 


Last edited by KhamLuc; Jan 14th, 2020 at 04:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:24 PM
Valornor's Avatar
Valornor Valornor is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 31st, 2020
RPXP: 281
Valornor Valornor Valornor
Posts: 627
right-aligned image

The Wood Elf Ranger's vigilance atop the bluff, had not been for not. Aiming at the figure that had thrown the javelin. He drew back and let loose his arrow.
 


https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1918011

Last edited by Valornor; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 04:32 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 13940
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 7,533
Velvet was a thief, pickpocket, upper story lady. She would, of course deny any of those attributions, but such a denial would be a lie. Even so, there was one thing Velvet was not. That was a murderess or an assassin. If you wanted someone killed she wasn't available, if someone in a domicile attacked her while she was committing her felonious actions she'd leave them alive, though perhaps humiliated. Thus, when the javelin pierced through one of the people fleeing the scene Velvet turned to look at the source.

Unsure of what the creature was she pulled out her bow, "Think I see whatever it is. Going to try and hit it with an arrow, but I could use some help!" She lined up her bow took aim and fired at the creature.

 


 
__________________
The Sleeping Goddess continues her slumber. Once day she may awaken...

Last edited by Ysolde; Jan 15th, 2020 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 09:21 PM
Aoem's Avatar
Aoem Aoem is offline
Chaotic Good Mindflayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 28th, 2020
RPXP: 556
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Posts: 521
ReinFluer EncampmentThe snap of bowstrings crack in the crisp nights air, and the whistling of arrows sing across the expanse of the ReinFleur as they fly toward their mark. A large Creature cry's out in pain upon the arrival of the arrow heads into his flesh.. His cry is deep and primal.. That is the last that is seen or heard of the creature as it goes galloping off into the darkness the other direction, wounded..

Keridan and Velvet are celebrated, the camp mates cheering and jeering at the retreating creature.
Nearby, a man is having a difficult time trying to describe the situation to a stoic 'Masquerade' " You see, there are people drowning! They are screaming because they are frightened and scared, we would very much like the screaming to stop!"

As the refugees from the icy current are led up the earthen bluff.
Archebold comes out of his wagon, his elegant feathered cloak catches the breeze and ripples as he strides forward to meet the rescuers and the cold, dreary, swimmers. " Come near to the fire! Dry off, become well again.. You are safe here.."
He calls out for warm clothing and a kettle of soup to be brought out.. The refugees are whimpering near the fire, still fighting shock and paralysis from the frigid water.
__________________
Posting Status:On Schedule

Last edited by Aoem; Jan 22nd, 2020 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 01:10 PM
Valornor's Avatar
Valornor Valornor is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 31st, 2020
RPXP: 281
Valornor Valornor Valornor
Posts: 627
right-aligned image

Shrugging off what he had done as being no big deal. Keridan again taking up his vigil at the edge of the bluff. Thinking that who he shot, may return with reinforcements with missiles weapons with a longer range then a javelin. Not wishing to present a tempting silhouette to any would be assailant. Due to the firelight behind him. Keridan rolls out his bedroll at the edge of the bluff and lays down on it on his stomach. Senses focused forward, across the river.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1918011

Last edited by Valornor; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 01:22 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 13940
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 7,533
She grins and gives a bow before she puts her weapon away, "Too kind, far too kind cheers aren't necessary. It was just a small action, but if you insist I'll take silver or copper pieces instead." She grins and accepts anything anyone will offer drinking all of the enthusiasm in and if anyone wants to drop her those copper or silver she'll take those as well.

However, now that she's in the spotlight she knows better than to try and sneak any pouches. Well at least from the living. From the dead is entirely a different story and she's pulling any dead bodies to shore and going through their pockets, before she sets them next to the river bank and uses some stones to cover them. If anyone asks what she's doing she just says, "Paying respects to the dead, proper burial is important."

 


 
__________________
The Sleeping Goddess continues her slumber. Once day she may awaken...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 03:25 PM
KhamLuc's Avatar
KhamLuc KhamLuc is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 27th, 2020
RPXP: 1968
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
Posts: 1,916


Mascarade Nodded the leader of the caravan

"Crystal clear! you want me to cover your ear or do you preferred that I cover their mouth ?"

Observing the look of the receiver of his innocent request, Mascarade understands that maybe living beeings are more complicated than what they let show.

"The facial tiny movement of your lips in conjunction with the tickle of your eye tell me that you have something else in mind and that you are concentrating on something else. We are going to find another solution that may suit you more"


Mascarade moves down toward one late swimmer that was shouting the best he can for help, hardly trying to get out of the river. Hovering two feet over the water, Mascarade grabs it with one hand and lift him out and hold it in front of him.

"Would you stop making noise... you discomfort the 'Fat Bronze Beard Guys Pin's Giver' "


The Poor freezing men, scare and stunned that a half body plate mail lightly tight together with pure bluish energy, save him ... or threatening him. He try to stammer out some word.

" I... ...Thaaannk.... YouUUuouu ...?!? but ... put... me down... plea... "

Mascarade cut his prey promptly.

" ...You don't seem able to stop the noise ... I will be glad to accept your request and help you in the 'Beard Fat Guy' wishes"


HE plunges the poor energyless body completely in the water... and look away toward 'Old Iron Knuckles' who make a face full of incomprehension and rage.

Mascarade rises again out of the water the body, always looking to his mentor and see with the display of his face that it was better.

Then OldIron makes some arm moves to try to influence Mascarade to draw him out and put it on solid ground ... what mascarade execute slowly like if he's experimenting the deciphering process of body language. When he drop the body to the floor without great care, OldIron slap one hand in his forehead ... then look toward Mascarade with a forced smile with a tumb's up.

'WE understand now ... WE just have to repeat ... It is easier to communicate with body symbol ... We Like It"


He then helps carry all others who request some help out in the firm earth.

Seeing some needing more time to "place" the inert body 'correctly' on the shore, Mascarade ask

"Can I help you place their body inside out the way you like ... "

"But I suggest opening the rip cage completely ... it is easier to switch the inside... outside like you seem to do with the vestment"



OOCIt should be cool that everyone works with fieldset with name and picture tag of the character in it ... we begin a story together and we don't know who his who how what is their name instinctively

A Stat box and Action box should be their to for each post ( except 1 time in a month du to a rush in RL with cellphone or the like ... what do you think ?

Action&Roll of Mascarade
 

Stat Block of Mascarade ****WIP***
 

Last edited by KhamLuc; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:13 PM
Aoem's Avatar
Aoem Aoem is offline
Chaotic Good Mindflayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 28th, 2020
RPXP: 556
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Posts: 521
ReinFleur Encampment
On the shore of the river, the elemental known as Masquerade, and Velvet, the opportunistic savior, do their best to rescue any remaining bodies that were able to get close to shore..
Velvet, seeing most of her potential spoils swept along downstream on the drowning forms of several refugees, has her hand at lifting some pocket change from a few lifeless bodies that she was able to help drag ashore. .

Above, on the bluff. Keridan vigilantly readies himself, a weather eye on the opposing bank, his bow is strung and his arrows are ready as he anticipates the return of the assailing creature.

Micarniss, Myles and Eimin are nearer to the fire, where the refugees are being tended to.
They can overhear various conversations being had with some of the recovering people.
" Where where you coming from? What attacked you?" Archebold asks softly to a burly man who is helping himself to some warm soup..

Through spoonful's of soup, the man reply's " We were making our way to the Gothic outpost in the south, near the jungle...
A large caravan of merchants and traders we were, but then, beasts encircled us, riding circles around us.. Firing arrows and spears, turning our people into pincushions.."


Archebold takes several deep breaths, retaining his straight backed posture, he glances around and smiles at his company mates who are listening in..

" Well it's a good thing we've brought along some new recruits! The Gothic outpost on the southern border is exactly where we are headed this next morning.
Did anyone have a look at one of these creatures?
I can guess what we might be dealing with from the tactics that this fellow described..
But did anyone see one of them?"
__________________
Posting Status:On Schedule

Last edited by Aoem; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB