Game Thread Return to Granite Falls - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Sudden Death > Gloamhold
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-23-2020, 04:33 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12526
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Return to Granite Falls

Having recruited a few new companions, they set out to once again delve into the depths of Granite Falls. But as they set about to climbing the rock pile once more, one of them heard the falling of rocks from somewhere between the rock pile and the edge of the cliff itself followed by a muffled whisper of “not yet you idiot.” Investigating, they found a handful of bandits hiding next to the rock pile. No doubt they were hoping to pounce on some unsuspecting adventurers already worn out from the dangers they faced within Granite Falls. Virion and Aldune took some comfort in knowing they hadn’t been waylaid themselves in their previous foray. Perhaps these bandits had only set up this ambush once the weasels had been dealt with. Whatever the case, they had been quite successful in their endeavors so far, judging by the amount of loot they found when they were done dispatching with them.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1366
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Dendur had followed the ranger through the wilderness with the others, confident that they would be a decent guide in the forest. As they approached the entrance to the abandoned mines, the dwarf took the lead, explaining that his superior dark vision would be a benefit upfront. Unfortunately, he did not considered that they were currently still in sunlight and that someone could be waiting at the entrance…

Unlike the rest of his companions, the short fighter did not react to the bandits in time, distracted as he was by a flash of sunlight in his eyes, reflected from an enemy’s sword. Dendur managed to kill the strongest fighter and keep two of the bandits busy long enough for the rest of the party to prepare a warm greeting for them. He would’ve felt better about his performance if he wasn’t angry at himself for letting them get the advantage initially.

EDIT: Rolled a 6 for QC, lost 10 hp.

Last edited by Solitaire64; 02-26-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:44 AM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 957
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Aldune, after recovering from his last venture headed back to the place where he had lost many of his former companions. He was hesitant to go back, but he felt that he had to, it would have been what they wanted. So he gathered his things, as well as his courage and went out with the group.

It was easy to navigate, as the two had been out here before, but something was different, it was very quiet.

"Something's not right, it doesn't feel like it did before, where are the birds..." He said as he looked around, and heard voices come from beyond the rocks, they searched and found thugs and bandits had set up an ambush.

The group, seeing the loot that they had gathered angered Aldune and he stood above them.

"You dare prey on adventurers! You low life worthless pieces of filth! I'll make it so you don't ever do this again!" He shouted as he raised his hands and began to chant, the cold touch of his magic reaching them and piercing into their hearts. One of them took aim with a ranged weapon and nicked Aldune's arm. But his anger pushed him through the pain as he continued to use his magic to harm them.

OOC:Rolled a 14, loss of 1 HP 13/14 but bonus helps me stay at 14/14

Last edited by The Dark Star; 03-09-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2047
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
The taciturn, robed figure padded steadily along behind the party, lost in thought. Although one could not describe his inner state as fear or even worry, his nervous system was on a high state of alert at the prospect of entering into the dark underground caverns, far from the life-giving sun. He therefore made no objection when the duergar wanted to scout ahead. Then they stumbled upon the hapless ambushers, and Sikstalos hissed in satisfaction, giving silent thanks to Selaunya. Crouching into attack position, he rasped, "Extra provisions!"

The lizardman whirled his spear into position and drove it right through one bandit before the man could respond. As his fellows rose to join the fight, Sikstalos lunged forward, ducking beneath a sword slash and taking a hungry bite out of his opponent's neck, who then toppled sideways. Seeing Aldune in trouble, Sikstalos lashed his tail out, knocking a crossbow askew and causing the bolt to graze the sorcerer's arm instead of taking a chunk out but causing a stinging sensation without doing any actual damage. As he watched his party make short work of the brigands, the cleric's eyes shone and he dug through his mess kit, aiming to take some choice cuts from the expired enemy.

OOC
Rolled a 20. Flawless victory, and used bonus to prevent the damage to Aldune.

Everyone remember to discuss the rolls before posting so we can decide on bonuses. Seems simplest to do that right in the rolling thread?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Brocu's overly-ebullient demeanor rapidly turns grim as they uncover the nest of enemies. "Thou shall not escape to waylay other innocent travelers!" The ranger calls upon the powers of nature to mark one of the bandits as his quarry, and he fires two arrows unerringly at the villain, dropping him. He then concentrates on moving the target to another foe, who he likewise drops, barely blinking as a crossbow bolt whizzes past one ear.

OOCRolled a 3, costing me 1/4 spells slots. I cast Hunter's Mark.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:03 AM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12526
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Having defeated the bandits, the adventurers now must now once again scale this jumble of rocks in order to reach the mine entrance above. It seems clear that these rocks probably are the backfill from the mine. The white stones on the top must have been the last to be excavated, while those stones beneath them that match the coloration of the ravine were carved out earlier. Whenever this mine had been active, it appears to have been several decades, if not centuries, since this pile was assembled. Several weeds, and even stunted trees, grow over and through the rocks at the bottom of the pile, and the passage of time is quite evident. But they are able to rather easily make it to the top of the pile via their rope of climbing.
A gaping nearly circular hole, roughly ten feet in diameter, fills the cliff face somewhere around seven feet above the rock pile. Peering into it, they can see it slopes upward at a fairly steep angle for another thirty feet or so. A metal grating is barely perceptible at that distance. But with the aid of their magical rope there should be no difficulty in continuing to climb farther.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The lizardman carves a "fillet" from one of the fallen bandits when the rest of the party has started to climb, and wraps it in cloth and stores it in his pack for later. When they get to the top, he stands impassively. But Brocu the ranger tries to direct the action. "Dendur, you are cunning in the ways of the depths by nature, and I by training. We should take the forward positions when we get through the grate. I suggest our sorcerer come next, and...you." He points hesitantly at the glowering cleric. "Then you be the rearguard. Agreed?"
Old 03-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 957
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Aldune and the rest of the party had dispatched the wood be bandits.

"You preying on the weak are over, may you scream in the nine hells for all eternity." He said as the gathered what they could from them before continuing on.

He then discussed with the rest of the group how to go and he was quick to nod in agreement with Brocu, even after he had gagged while the lizarfolk cut up one of the bandits and took it for later.

"I *cough* I agree with how you think we should proceed." He managed to reply.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1366
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Dendur wasn’t happy with having a ‘cannibal’ in the party. On the other hand it isn’t like he carved them up alive or killed anyone we had allowed to surrender. And he will make an interesting contrast with the sunny elves, he thought with a grin.

"I have no objection to the suggested marching order. Unless someone needs more rest, then I would prefer to check out the abandoned mine now, to manage our time. We will have to decide at some point whether we want to sleep down there or heading for the surface to camp instead."
Old 03-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Sikstalos gazes impassively, but nods his head in acquiescence. "To the entrance. No current rest do I need."