Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27149
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
The Great Big Community Appreciation Thread

Our community is full of great people doing wonderful things. This thread is a place to tell their stories, point to what they've wrought, and give thanks. We are starting this thread in conjunction with our April Community Appreciation Day(s).

Please post!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43615
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
First of all, thank you Birched! The work you put into keeping us going makes everything else possible! Thank you so much, I would not be able to get my addictionRPG fix without you!

I am so grateful for everyone I game with right now. No matter how I'm feeling about life, I can come here and find an interesting story unfolding, a story that pulls me in and makes me want to add my voice to it. It matters a great deal to me.

And a shout out to everyone offering their help to other site members! Whether it's answering a question from a new player or guiding someone into how to find more information about a site feature, every time I see it, you get serious kudos from me. I may not always remember to RPXP you for it, but believe me when I say it makes the mods' jobs so much easier!

A heartfelt thanks to everyone going out of their way to make us smile. Whether it's Admin Dirk hopping into a question thread to make both me and a new site member laugh, or a private thread joke that makes me start my day with a smile. It is a big help and much appreciated.

Last edited by Aethera; 03-31-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:33 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21757
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
First I'll thank Aethera for always being around to take care of the site. And therefore to be able to my posts

I'll take the low-hanging fruit. Thanks to all my shout out Charlotte, Inuvash, goatmeal, and rhaiberplayers and shout out Kapera, Silk, Code H, Roekahs and AvnerGMs and anyone else I play with. You're great! It's the first lesson of PbP that people can and will drop off the face of the earth without warning almost constantly. But that means that if you're a player who has stuck in my game, or a GM that is suffering through my contributions, you are exceptional!

You're not getting any external reward. No more than 5 or 10 people are likely reading over your shoulder. But you keep contributing to an awesome interesting enterprise. That takes dedication, creativity, honesty, and flexibility. I try to say that I appreciate these things, but I fail to mention it with embarrassing frequency. Games are going slower nowadays, but none of my games are faltering. I'm lucky to be playing with each and every one of you.

GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 03-31-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:58 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27149
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
I'm somehow scared to even try to write this post. There are so many people here that I am grateful for. I may have to come back and edit this list as I remember more. I am definitely not going to have trouble finding people to give RPXP to!
  • I am grateful to all those who support this site through donations and through CS memberships. We would not be here without you!
  • I am grateful to all those who participate in our yearly fundraiser, through which our community has done real good in the world.
  • I am grateful to the moderators, admins, and owners past and present who built and build, and maintained and maintain this community. The current site staff is an incredible bunch of people, each of whom demonstrates caring for this community and actively maintain it through wisdom and hard work. And Admin Dirk.
  • I am grateful to all the GMs and DMs on the site, who give life to worlds and then invite us all into them. I have had many wonderful experiences here as a player and GM/DM. One that comes to mind as a player is the game "Commoner's Quest" that was run by AbuDhabi and currently exists only in an off-site archive. Sadly, he hasn't been around for while, but damn I enjoyed that one.
  • I'd like to thank all my players over the years, and especially from the Perimeter and Dark Sun games, which are unfortunately no longer active. They were great while they lasted. Thanks SpatulaOdoom, RonarsCorruption, AlwaysCivilMike, Jinx_Greyflower (first to breathe life into Nia! I hope you've had a good decade+ since we last saw you around here), Embrodak, Phoenix, and all the rest of the Perimeter cast. Thanks mountainbound, zebedee, Elucidus, Chuck, Elfman6, Peter172, ShadowcatX and the rest of the Dark Sun group.
  • I am grateful to the DMs and GMs who run the new player solo games, with special thanks to the past and present organisers of that effort. So awesome!
  • I am grateful to all those who take time to welcome newcomers to the site.
  • I am grateful for everyone who has had the sense to join us and make great stories here.

Thank you! I thought I might include a story or two here, but I'm out of time for that now. Perhaps I'll find a moment to make another post later.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:23 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65140
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I am grateful for the friendship and fellowship I find here every day. Some days this place is my retreat from the world, and without it... I'd have no safe place to rest my mind, and my troubles for a while.

I am grateful to everyone's hard work to keep this place running. Not just the staff, either... there's a ton of people around here to do a metric butt ton of hard work behind the scenes, that get no credit. The reds stand out, but for all the other gophers and helpers, you are appreciated for all the works you do. No one sees you, no one notices you, but I do, and I appreciate it. It's always a risk to mention names, because you always forget someone, but thank you to Godrosen, Imveros, Undeadrajib, DraconigenaArma, Jaydenlilith, Stillpond, Hotsusama, Leviticus, and the tons of new player greeters who spend time being welcoming!

I am thankful for the staff for taking a chance on me (ARC, in a game long ago stands out as a welcome memory). You never know, when you open a door, what you'll find on the other side. I am glad you guys opened the door to me, as a player, a gamer, a volunteer, and a moderator.

Mostly, though, I am grateful for Squeak. Without my little brother on site to constantly lower the bar, I would be on the chopping block constantly as the worst moderator around. But as long as I can look over, and see that he's still a red, I know that my world is safe. He's my canary in a coal mine. He's also a lot of fun to have around, and I look forward every day to insulting him, and seeing what insult he has for me. I wish for all of you to have a friend like him. My life is richer and more fun with him in it.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:51 PM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13323
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
You know that "Christmas in July" thing? This is like Thanksgiving in April. What a great idea. Lord knows I (and probably many of us) could use a Pick-me-up about now...

Not that I'm not grateful for these groups, but I'm going to skim over a ton of folks that I'm grateful for-- the Staff, the NPSG leaders, other newbie greeters, etc. Y'all rock.

I'm especially grateful for Birched, who makes all of this possible. I know this site likely doesn't pay the bills. But hopefully it pays dividends in enjoyment and karma. You deserve it for keeping this place running.

I'm really grateful for Hugga, Imveros and ruffdove, each of whom is running a game where they're patiently helping me (and others) learn the ropes of a new system. They're all wonderful DMs in their own way, and I feel blessed to be in those games.

And a big, shout-out to all the folks who run the enormous community events around here that so many (or at least I, personally) love. Outplay, IronDM, Hall-of-Fame. I'm nervous that if I start naming names, I'll miss someone who puts in a ton of effort. But I think that the big hats for each of those is Admin Ronarscorruption, Inem, and Aethera, respectively? It doesn't do justice to all of the patient and wonderful judges. Especially Squeak, who gave me +10k bonus points in 2018.

EDIT: OH, and the Easter Egg Hunt!!! I always have a ton of fun with that. It was a close call this past year, with me and LittleBlueNA, I think. It's coming up soon!

EDIT2: Gosh, I forgot how long it can take to write out 50 loving RPXP comments that are tailored to the person. I'm really grateful that I have nigh-Moderator-like RPXP-granting powers again. But boy,it's gonna take some effort to hit that limit. I'll do it, though... just you watch...

Last edited by Unko Talok; 03-31-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:00 PM
Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1592
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Wooo! Yes! I'm loving shelling out the looveee! take my xp, TAKE IT!

Seriously though, I've not really been around long enough to get to know anyone in particular that well, but I feel thrilled to have joined this community and look forward to being more involved in the future. There are some amazingly tallented writers and character creators on here and it's truly inspiring!

I want to say thankyou to everyone who runs the show! Your dedication is probably beyond even what I'm imagining it to be, so thanks from the bottom of my heart for running this community so we can all continue to have fun together!

Ps, did i mention that Y'all look FABULOUS today? MWAH!!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28868
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
First off, I'd like to thank Birched, and whoever else made this idea happen. This is a phenomenal idea and has given me the feels in just the hour or so that it's been happening. Let's just say I'm glad I'm not working tomorrow You never think about how many people you've positively impacted until you see something like this <3

I'd be here all night if I thanked every user who was important to me, good thing we have 50 RPXP hits now! So, I'll just talk about the first few that came to mind when I think about users I'm thankful for.

-Captain Devonin: When I first came here, I had no idea what I was looking for. I was just bored one day, and game had been canceled that week. I poked my head around and signed up for my New Player Solo Game. As I'm sure you guessed, Captain was my GM. Not only did I have fun gaming with them, but they took the mentor part seriously, and made me feel at home. Hah, this post from my my intro thread really sums up my feeling then and what I've strived to perpetuate since then.

While still running their game, they spent hours compiling a response to the thread that shall not be named, and I was blown away. I had expected a dogpile, insults, bye Felisha gifs (it is the internet after all), but instead, I saw more of that relaxed professional attitude from them and others. I'm sure there were some internet comments, there had to have been, but that also showed how on top of it the staff is as well. How Dev and the reds handled that was what told me this was where I belonged <3

-Phenyks : My first character application was a runaway train into a dumpster fire factory. It was BAD! Fun fact, after honing my craft a bit, I took that dumpster fire and turned it into Ander, my first OutPlay character that I was quite successful with! Anyway, I worked hard on my next application. Phenyks helped me through the process, pointed me to guides, and ultimately accepted me to my first game. It ran for more than a year before life claimed him. But it was nice to know that games could go the distance like that and that people cared for each other like that.

He's also one of a few reasons I'm an RPXP giving machine (proud to be on the end of the bell curve every year ) I gave him my puny single-digit hits when something cool happened, a scene really hit me, or an NPC said something cool. Like eight months into the game he PMed me saying my XP hit's notes were what kept him going. I looked at his page and saw I was the only one of the six players that had ever given him a hit and my appreciation meant a lot to him <3

-PopCultureBard : He and I have known each other for more than a decade. As my sister in law's husband, he's literally family. I have PCB to thank for some of my most memorable real-life gaming experiences. Funny enough, we'd PMed each other here on the site before we'd known who the other was (me begging for a spot in his Shadowrun game). I'd been here for over a month before I mentioned the site at a different sister in law's husband's birthday and he's been my RPGX confidant since.

It's nice having an old-timer with some site perspective that I can go to and vent about stuff, ask about users, and Dont worry Dirk, I'll be getting to you soonlearn the olden ways from. He's also a big reason I was able to ride out a burnout wave that almost made me Not my proudest momentghost the site. My Shadowrun players helped with that too, but his personal touch/perspective was key

-Jeffkevlar : Jeff was the first friend I ever made on the site. At our hight, we were in five games together! He is a really cool guy and I deeply regret not keeping in touch when he left the site.

Anyway, his presence got me connected to quite a few games, which got me connected to several other users, which resulted in my current web of friends. The two of us networked like friends to make sure we were BOTH selected for all the games we applied to. A skill that not only paid dividends in games, but also in friendships, support, and the most important thing, Tug of War Victories <3

-The Illustrious RPGX Tug of War:*must resist urge to return, must resist urge to return*

The community around the Tug of War is one of the most interesting on the entire site. The energy, the camaraderie, the frienemies, the dopamine rush of a sweet sweet zero. The names of the brave warriors are legion, but I appreciate all the witty banter, slung mud, and consistency that it offers. Each side is like a family. It may be a little more Hatfield and Macoy than the Reds would like, but Team Down has, and continues to mean a lot to me <3

-Admin Dirk: The man of the hour. I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum that he gets the most of these Thanksgiving in April hits. He's everywhere, always watching, in a good way! Not in a tree with binoculars, like Squeak, way. He was the first to greet me here. I was expecting zero replies to my welcome post. I only did it because the welcome email told me to! But an hour later, there he was, followed closely by Choco. Shortly after I started greeting to share those warm feelings with others. Heck, these days I'm lucky if I make it while the welcome thread is still on the first page! All you greeters rock!

After the greeting, the two of us have been in several games since then. It was nice to see that the Red mingled with us peasant folk see the above statements of relaxed professionalism. Not only that, but he's cool to everyone, all the time, especially to the people who need it most. It also wasn't until I started to follow his policy of ignoring the RPXP and just being a cool dude philosophy that the sick EXP gains started XD

You keep being awesome man and we'll keep trying to live up to your example <3

Now I'm a little choked up, so I'll leave it at that. If I didn't mention you, dont worry. those 50 hits are coming. Keep being amazing RPGCrossing <3

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:33 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2924
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Uhh...
The dice roll system is p.great? I don't think I've been around or know anyone well enough here to place anything, so uh.
Thank you dice..? And the players who joined my myriad of [OTHER] games, too, you're all pretty baller. I might have something D&D-ish in mind, potentially with someone else from the site but I need to finish the background stuff for that so ssssh.
Dice Roll:
1d100 47

Edit: I was hoping for 69.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 03-31-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 PM
A bird,a plan-Nalpadriba!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Thanks for everyone who gives their time to make this site run, to welcome new players, to DM tutorials, and to manage the contests.

Thanks to my DMs, Rasgorn, Gibbon and Exfilia, for the countless effort and planning you put into our games.

And a special thank you to Imveros ... for staying out of the current ToW thread.
(Don't worry, your DOWNers are killing it. )

Last edited by bananabadger; 03-31-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 PM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7373
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
There are truly to many people to thank for making this site what it is.

To start @Birched to be is the little green man behind the curtain. Going to battle day after day against the endless sea of bots.

All of the admins and staff are fantastic people, so willing to help others and donate their time to keep this site a safe and friendly for everyone.

All of the DM's who do NPSG to help bring in the new recruits and help to explain the wealth of what is to offer here.

All of the DM's who donate their own time to run games on the site who, without, we wouldn't have any games to play!

All of the players who apply to those game and put their heart, sweat, (Hopefully no blood), and tears into their applications.

Really anyone who bothers to read this thank you for contributing to this site in all the small and great ways you do!

You're going down Imveros
Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28868
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Wow, 50 hits don't go nearly as far as I thought they would. There are just too many awesome people out there...

Will I get 50 more at 11pm tomorrow Birched?

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 03-31-2020, 11:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10888
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
As I head into the confessional booth, I need to admit - RPGxing, I've tried to quit you so many times. Yet, I keep coming back. I often tried to figure what it is about this place that gets me so roped in.

My first post on RPGxing was Feb. 7th 2006. The 9th I started a game called Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute which started its first post on the 10th. I can't start to begin to name all the characters and players we've had in that particular game. But there have been so many others, Star*Drive: Outbound, Random Encounters; The Labyrinth of Madness; Mindjammer: More than Human; The Abduction of Good King Depot; Fate of Diaspora; Waterdeep: Disavowed; and one I still mourn the end of - Descent: A Dragon's Tale.

My memory is lined with Faces and Places from each of these worlds due to this place but I think even more than that, it's the relationships with the players behind the faces that continues to bring me and others back here. Friendships here seem to come and go in waves over the years. That is just the way of things. Sometimes real Life pulls at us and we have to back away from the keyboard for a season. If this wasn't a special community we wouldn't come back. I think that is proof in many ways about the people that work so hard on making this such a GREAT environment to create, experiment, learn and grow as players, Gamemasters, co-laborers in this hobby we love.

All that to say, Thank-You all for the hard work that goes on behind the scenes to keep not just the mechanics but the spirit of this site and community going strong. I won't name names - I'll just drop my pitiful excuse of a XP boost to you today and tomorrow as I can. Many have already been named above. Thank-You to all the players that gave me a shot over the years. Thank-You to the GM's that let me play in their games as a very distractible GM (we make the wrose players sometime).

Almost everyone here provides grace and understanding to each other even when its hard sometimes - that really separates RPGxing from other options out there. Thank you to everyone that remembers and keeps that spirit going!

- Savoy
Old 04-01-2020, 12:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11011
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Hmmm, this is quite the opportunity.

First, I'd like to thank -Wyvern- for taking me on as a player for the long-running Star Frontiers game back in 2015. I was brand-new to Play-by-Post, and to be quite honest I'd never played a character with a personality before. I may not have stuck with it for very long, but it gave me my first taste of writing a character in a game, and it's something that the last nearly five years have greatly grown upon. Without this experience, I doubt I would have branched into the roleplay avenues I did, and I definitely would not have so easily anchored myself to RPG Crossing.

Second, it has to be Admin RonarsCorruption. I don't even know if he remembers it, but I competed in Outplay a few years ago, and one judgment note stuck with me to this day. RC called me "sesquipedalian". I learned a new word that day, and have since taught others. Thank you for being uniquely you.

Third, let's go with Pendragon for being a right fool and accepting me to so many games. You prompted the birth of [CENSORED CHARACTER NOT APPROPRIATE FOR MENTIONING ON MODERN RPG CROSSING], and he has since gone on to gain life of his own. Your Orneth game was probably what launched me from RPing to play a game into RPing to explore a character. Thank you for giving me that opportunity.

Fourth, Aethera for not smiting me on a daily basis. Your mercy and grace are unsurpassed. I can be a downright pain in the posterior, and I know it. Thank you.

Finally, Captain Devonin. I don't interact with her regularly anymore, and our coexistence has not always been the most harmonious, but she is the best, fiercest defender of all that is good on RPG Crossing. Not everyone has the time, inclination, or capability to competently engage others when it is needed most, and I can't think of a person I'd rather have representing our community.

Last edited by Ziether; 04-08-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:13 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16527
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Too many people to call out here - but my fellow staff, many of whom I seem to be in games with; my players in Wrath of the Righteous (past and present); every DM who's tried running Kingmaker on here and had it run out of steam within book 1; every weird and wonderful homebrew game: I love all of you.

And Admin Dirk, who seems incapable of seeing a game I'm in and not being in it too. The really worrying thing here is that I may have similar tastes to Dirk...