Game Thread Session 1: A Ship Named Dorothy - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > Stars Without Number: Omega Blue
twitter facebook
0 4 4 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2020, 06:11 AM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6614
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Session 1: A Ship Named Dorothy

A new crew
('056' is the day - roughly Feb 23 in the old calendar)3230.2.056 – 9:540703 - SALEQANDeep space

Only three planets orbit the Saleqan star, all with varying degrees of success in fruitful habitation: the sheltered autocracy of Armuhez, the haughty dome-states of Hadeera, and the desperate grind of life on Helga. None of these worlds are much suited for a lot of tourism and traffic. They are lonely bastions of humanity.

And yet, Saleqan is often thick with ships - or as much as can be said for deep space. In terms of celestial stellography, the system sits in the centre of the Roma Commonwealth, making it an ideal rest point for freight ships and long-range shuttles between spike drills. Lone cargo ships and small fleets of interstellar shuttles sail through the void, which is filled with idle chatter between various craft. Space can feel a little less lonely when there's a new voice to keep on in the background.

left-aligned image
From one of the ship trade hubs in the independent space station known as The Stop, the ship newly christened Dorothy drifts into deep space. It's a Shirosora-class shuttle, an old workhorse of a model long favoured by spacers spending long stretches of time in transit. It's the colour of soiled sand and paint-stripped hullwork. Not a beautiful ship, but a reliable performer.

Aboard, the new six-person crew of the Dorothy adjust to their new home. It's only been an hour before they were given clearance codes from their scruffy handler, who spat as much as he spoke and only identified himself as 'Gus'. Getting the ship had been no-nonsense - assemble here, confirm your name, yes very good here's your ship from the Pact.

The interior of the ship is an odd mix between utilitarian and homely. It's cramped in places, and there's a disharmony to the interior design from years of unofficial custom work. The ship likely has a colourful - and undocumented - history with privateer crews.

In the bridge, one message has been saved on the databanks, set to play shortly after departure from the spacedock. An insistent beeping bounces throughout the ship's quarters when it's time, before the bridge vidscreen lights up. The display shows a very convincing virtual render of a young woman, elegantly dressed with a black lace veil lightly draped over her eyes. Her expression lingers between faint amusement and matronly approval, likely a calculated measure for maintaining an appealing presence for listeners. This is the common avatar for Big Sis, the artificial intelligence operating the largest functioning communications array in the Roma Commonwealth - and the main administrative force behind the Reclamation Pact.

Missive from Big Sis
right-aligned image
"To the crew of Pact craft designate #100253, the following missive:

Hello. It is my humble pleasure to welcome you into our association. This ship is yours to operate under the terms of our agreement.

Once you become accustomed to the craft provided to you, I have a non-urgent errand on behalf of the Pact you may consider undertaking. Your relative anonymity among Pact-affiliated vessels and your proximity to the relevant system make your crew a suitable selection for the task.

You would be required to rendezvous with a Pact-affiliated contact in system 0802, star designation 'Red Hrefna'. Further details will be provided upon acceptance. Remuneration will be a minimum of 1,000C with value added, determinate on the results of the meeting and any subsequent tasks that may be involved.

Acceptance is optional. Please indicate to me at your earliest convenience your interest in the errand.

I wish you the best on your travels. May you prove yourself of value to the Pact."

The crew of the Dorothy have not composed a response to the missive yet. It's one of many roads they can take. Through the bridge's array of screens and virtual windows, the deep space of the Saleqan system lies open and vast before them. The whole sector is within reach.

OODMWelcome to the Omega Blue sector! Feel free to use your opening posts to get acquanted with each other, as well as to start defining the ship and your place on it. Describe your own corner of the Dorothy however you wish - it's had some interior customisation done over its lifespan so there's room for idiosyncracies. Currently the ship roles are technically undefined, even if some crew are obviously going to excel at something in particular, so that might be up for discussion - for one thing, who's going to put their hand up for captain?

You have a choice to accept the errand from Big Sis, or to go your own way for the time being. The Dorothy has access to local pings and public transmissions, and there are a lot of transmissions shooting across Saleqan at any given time, so an independent job will be easy to find.

Last edited by HotsuSama; Apr 20th, 2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 01:35 PM
The Greatest Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1419
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Emily Rentons"'E wuvn't ve'y nife, wuv 'e?" Emily piped up, her voice muffled around the snack bar she had found rummaging in the kitchen, her second stop after visiting the engine. she was wearing a large pair of overalls and white t-shirt, both already oil-stained despite their short time aboard and hung loosely over her shoulders. Her bag was slung over one shoulder, hung low on her back, while her laser pistol was strapped to her opposite hip. Her eyes glazed over for a moment as she finished off the snack bar, then began to peer around. "Have you guys seen the rooms yet? Are there any good ones?"
Games Playing: Stars Without Numbers: Omega Blue, Dawn of Worlds

Last edited by abc123; Apr 14th, 2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 06:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2498
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
TK picked a room near a maintenance hatch in the hull; a ship this size wasnít much for escape pods. He stowed his gear and looked around the ship, idly wondering about smuggling compartments and such. Maybe they could install some after they saved up some credits. If we stay alive and together that long, he thought to himself. He heard an echo of ThaschĎs laughter in his mind, which he did his best to ignore.

Seeing grease on Emilyís clothing was comforting; it didnít necessarily demonstrate competence but it did imply seriousness. "The only quarters on this ship that are likely to stand out will be the captainís. I donít know who that will be, except that it wonít be me, Ms. Rentons."
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 09:20 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 359
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Nie wanders around the ship, where he ends up sleeping is of very little importance to him. A bed's a bed, worst comes to worst he can sleep in the cargo hold with his backpack for a pillow. Drinking in the disharmony of the design, he was happy with the custom additions to the ship. Custom work meant off the books designs. That meant they were hiding things. Nie smiled as he took all of this in, he wondered if he could find their hidden things

Turning to his new compatriots. "I'll put my hand up for captain. Although I have no qualifications, no idea what to do, no reason to suspect I'll be good at it and will more than likely get us lost within the first jump. But I'll have a crack, how hard could it be?"
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57
ForeverWizard
Appearing in the entrance to the ship, taking in his new home for the foreseeable future, Elliot overhears a conversation of interest to him, "I'm not saying that I think I'm the best fit for the job, but I am saying that I think I'm the best fit for the job", Elliot walks over to Nie, gesturing at the general appearance and strength discrepancy with a lighthearted confidence, "I've also been doing this sort of thing all my life, worked with a lotta guys over the years doing this sort of thing, I won't not follow you if that's what we think is best, but I'm going to need a pretty good reason to and you're not really selling yourself.".

Last edited by ForeverWizard; Apr 16th, 2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Uhhhh me no write so good
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 03:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2003
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Matt had already been on board for an hour or so in the ship’s cargo area. He tapped away at his compad as he mapped out the cargo hold. Even in the dead of space, one had to take into account how cargo was positioned in the ship otherwise momentum could be thrown off and send the ship into a spiral. He suspected that the custom work on the ship meant smuggling compartments, but he would have to find those another time. For now, he could hear a conversation going on in a nearby passage. Still looking at his compad, he walked up while finishing his layout on the screen.

“I’ll have to agree with this strong guy over here. A Captain needs to be able to instill confidence in his crew and the people he interacts with that he or she will get the job done. If he dies, then we’ll reconsider your placement for future promotion. I’m Matt Schiff if you haven’t already guessed. The cargo hold has been mapped out and prepared to receive supplies whenever we acquire any. I’m not used to being in charge but instead supporting the one that is. I know most of the languages of this sector and how to deal with the locals. If I don’t then I can learn with enough exposure.” He lets go off his compad, but instead of falling it floats in the air for a moment before floating into Matt’s room he chose nearby. “Oh by the way, I’m a telekinetic. If I may make a suggestion to whoever becomes the captain that we take the Big Sis suggested mission. Why turn down a job that has already had most of the details setup by a member of our association. There’s no guarantee we’ll find a better one out in the comms right now.”
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 05:20 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
The good ship Dorothy
3230.2.0560703 - SALEQANDeep space

right-aligned image
The ship takes shape for the new crew as they explore the rooms and corridors. There are bunks for ten crew members, nine of them sequestered into snug, narrow rooms with functional cots and lockers. It's a step above 'prison cells' and there's at least room for personal effects, but they're not luxury rooms.

The captain's room is at least larger, and has more room for personal equipment. The door has a stronger mag-lock, and there's a private secure terminal. Little else separates it from the rest of the ship, aside from some odd little gadgets and adornments on the walls from the previous master of the ship, who must have been a tinkerer and collector of sorts.

Two members of the crew have announced intentions to take the captain's mantle. One is Nie, the lone Kollheini on board; the other is Elliot, a man full of immediate bluster and assertion. For now, the other crew members have been content finding their own roles.

Emily has found the engine room to be in serviceable condition - a little neglected from sitting in a docking strip with only the crudest of regular maintenance, but everything working fine once the dust is blown off. The spike drive engine is new, a more powerful engine retro-fitted onto older circuitry - a job well done, Emily notes approvingly. She's also found the mess hall to meet her needs, as she scavenges for freeze-dried treats in the ship's kitchen. Fruit would be nice, but those bars with synthesised cocoa flavour will definitely do the trick as well. She meets with Tell-Kontar just outside the kitchen, who has already claimed one of the rooms at the back end of the Dorothy, near a service shaft that leads to the underbelly of the ship.

Matt has found the cargo hold, mostly empty but clean enough. The registered schematics tell him it has a weight capacity of two tons - good, not wonderful. He's used to dealing with dedicated freight shuttles with many times that capacity, but this will still suffice. The pannelling and framework look original-model here, even as he suspects secret compartments - maybe they're elsewhere in the ship. A nearby locker room has some general equipment, including vacc suits for travel and some spare scrap for repairs.

Milling about the bridge, a woman who has only identified herself as Zara appraises the flight equipment. She has said little, and although her face has severe features, she hasn't come across as expressly aloof - only distracted. Whether she finds the navigation array to her satisfaction is anyone's guess. But the bridge functions all appear the be the newest aspects of the ship. The captain's chair and monitors are on a raised platform to the side, and under him are terminals for three navigators; standard-issue, as charting a course is arduous and best done by shift work. On the opposite side of the bridge to the captain, a second enclosed terminal, but not on a raised section like the captain, is for the gunner's controls.

OODMVesper's been away from the site for a few days so Zara will be NPC'd until we hear back from them.

We have two contenders for captain, and Elliot's the frontrunner.

For now it's probably a good time to deliberate on your course of action. So far Matt is a lone vote for the Pact job. But feel free to RP the deliberations out depending on how you take to your new crewmates. Anyone more interested in investigating the ship more thoroughly can make a skill check for it: 2d6 + appropriate skill mod + appropriate ability mod (e.g. Wis/Notice).
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 06:49 PM
The Greatest Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1419
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Emily RentonsEmily's eyes gleamed at the thought of larger quarters, and she was quick to seek it out. She let out a low whistle as she appraised the dimensions, her mind already placing workbenches and where she could put schematics on the walls. "Now, I don't mind who becomes captain, it's not for me, but can I have this room? I could do so many projects in here, plus I could work better on any new tech we find." She hopped on the bed, and looked back at the others. "Plus plus i already fit in here so well!"
Games Playing: Stars Without Numbers: Omega Blue, Dawn of Worlds
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 09:45 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 359
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Nie carefully appraises Elliot. He doesn't know what a ship captain is really suppose to be or look like. But he can appreciate what looks like a man of action.

"Captian, not Captain. I don't particularly mind which I am. I will gladly stand aside if there is someone more qualified. As to our mission, well we've been given a heading. Seems like a poor choice to snub the very first mission we get. But, if we want to stir some trouble else where, there is lot of data flowing around here and I could find us something to chase. In the mean time I'm going to take a look at the data banks and see whats in the ships computers"

Nie disappears into a puff of nothingness but reappears moments later

"Crap. Did I mention I was a teleporter? That feels like its important. I can teleport. Right, back to the computer"

Last edited by Preacherwolf; Apr 19th, 2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 03:48 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Matt didn’t mind the current dimensions of the non-captain rooms. It reminded him of Basic Training when he had even less room. Being a man of a practical nature, he didn’t mind the fact he wouldn’t have room for a lot of personal effects he didn’t have. When Emily tried claiming the Captain’s quarters for herself, he offered this solution. “The Captain should have the Captain’s quarters. If for nothing else than to show any additional crew and passengers who exactly runs the show, and it is a more secure room where sensitive information that only the Captain should have access to. I do have an idea though since this ship has already been customized before it seems. You look like a mechanically minded person. Why not just alter the walls in between the other quarters to slide out of the way or be modular to be removable and convert two of the smaller adjacent rooms into one larger room? As it currently stands, eight of the rooms could be converted into 4 larger rooms with one small room remain which I don’t mind taking as I plan on converting a small corner of the cargo room into a supply office for me to work out of. Does this sound adequate to everyone?”

As to the revelation of another psychic in their group, he gives an appreciative nod to the Nie. “That’s good to know. Perhaps later you and I could discuss our individual psychic training and abilities.”

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; Apr 20th, 2020 at 03:50 AM.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 03:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2498
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
"I'm Tell-Kontar," said a short, wiry man, holding up one of the walls. He managed to slouch with relaxed body language while still looking tense. His dark eyes are intense, his dark hair buzzed short and he has the stubble of someone who habitually neglects to shave. "I think everything Matt here said makes sense." A little more confidence and he would make a decent captain. Probably. "I'm a scout and kind of a jack-of-all-trades. I know a little first aid and exobiology, I know my way around spaceports, but the only good I can be on the ship is gunnery. And I expect a couple of you will be better at that."

"It seems like there is a consensus on accepting the Reclamation Pact job. As well as Elliot being the ship's captain," the scout said with a nod towards the soon-to-be "skipper." I'm not too keen on middle management muscle being captain, but they say Big Sis is good at putting crews together. We'll see. "So shall we formalize this? Does anyone else want to put themselves forward for the hot seat? Speak now or hold your peace for at least a month."
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 10:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Matt leaned against the wall quickly tapping something out on his compad. “I agree to what has been loosely proposed with the majority. I am typing up a standard crew manifest and exploration contract that will put in writing that we agree to work with each other and designate Elliot as ‘Captain’ until his death, resignation, or majority vote of no confidence from the crew. In which case the ‘First Mate’ shall assume the Captain’s role until a proper nomination and vote can be conducted. If anyone has anything to add or change, I will make copies available for edits and create the final draft before we reach our first destination.” By then, the document has been typed up and he spins the compad around for everyone to see.
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 08:41 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57
ForeverWizard
"Well, you lot might be the most organized I've worked with in a while!", "or ever.." thought Elliot, he wasn't used to cooperation, even from the mother of his children, everything had been a struggle on Matopouka, not once did he consider the possibility that signing with Big Sis would make things easier for him in any way. "If having the Captains quarters allows you to bring more to the table Ms. Rentons, then I'd definitely consider it even if you weren't Captain, otherwise, as Matt said, it's best that the Captain resides in the Captains quarters. Seeing as nobody else has put their hat in the ring, am I to understand I'm the Captain? Either way, I like the idea of modifying the ship to our specific needs, is this something you think you could do Ms. Rentons?"
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 06:19 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
Assignment
3230.2.0560703 - SALEQANDeep space

While discussion continues, Matt takes a spare moment here and there to continue his inspection of the ship, convinced something more lies hidden. This deck space seems small for the hull size, doesn't it? Surely there are hidden nooks and crannies. Those elude him for the time being, but he does spot evidence of removed equipment - open power circuit connections behind improvised panel covers, marks on the flooring and so on. He continues to the engine room and sees the same marks, as well as fittings for some high-powered hardware. This ship currently has a spike drive-2 - did it once have an even more powerful drive? That would be appropriate for a smuggler's ship taking unconventional routes through obscure systems. But there were other fittings here too. This wasn't just a ship crammed with illicit goods in secret spaces. It had another purpose, one that's been filed away as casually as a serial number.

Meanwhile, Nie is glad he took the time to wander around the ship; corridors are narrow and space is tight in some of the side rooms. Teleportation without much margin of error can be nerve-wracking, although the ability is something he's very comfortable with now. He chooses the captain's terminal to interface with, concluding it'd have the juiciest secrets. The domestic files are easy to access, but a lot of the old owner's data appears to have been scrubbed - or very carefully hidden. Nie is no slouch at finding his way around data, but everything he pulls up is fairly common. Nice to have on file, though. He can see all the official stopping points from the ship's old freight routes, those flight records still intact. The official records, at least. Might be useful for quick clearance to dock, provided these clearance codes are still current.

He teleports back to the group discussion in time to witness a rough consensus; no one speaks against taking the offered Pact errand as a first job, or Elliot being the interim captain. Matt even formalises the de facto arrangement on the spot.

Listening in from the bridge, Zara speaks up. "I suppose we're taking the job. Why wait then?" She takes the initiative and sits at one of the bridge consoles, pinging a response to Big Sis's message. It only takes a moment for the AI's avatar to reappear on the vidscreens. The crew gathers for their instructions.

Big Sis
right-aligned image
"Good. Your helpfulness will be noted.

Proceed to the Red Hrefna system at your earliest convenience, the sooner the better. Your contact will be waiting for you on the retro-fitted installation known as the Barge. Your ship should already have coordinates. Be discreet. When you arrive, you will tell the Barge administration that you are seeking the Vicai brothers for navigation upgrades. Your rendezvous will be arranged and the next stage of your errand will be determined based on the results of the meeting.

Your principle priority is the data held by the Vicai brothers. It has been determined as crucial to securing a Memorial Array vault and may be sought by opposing factions. Suspected Immortal activity in the Barge keeps the brothers from operating openly. Ideally you will collaborate with your contacts, but if the brothers are compromised, you must reach safety with the data by any means necessary and contact me for further instructions. Good luck."

The screens go blank.

OODMAnd your first task is set! Getting to another system would ordinarily require an Int/Pilot check, but I'm treating Red Hrefna as a common stopover so navigation is rote and a check won't be required now. If you wanted to get there faster than 6 days, then it would be the skill roll with a target of 8 or higher to 'trim' the course. Note that failure may have complications.

Nie, your easy success on combing the computer for data tells you the ship has been to the Barge before, and still has some landing codes. You don't know if they're current.

Matt, no secret rooms yet but you do find evidence that the ship was once far more decked out with advanced equipment, and likely a more powerful interstellar drive than the current model. Likely more than a regular smuggling ship would have unless it were uniquely specialised.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm open to interior renovation. It would involve declaring what you intend to do and making whatever skill roll you can justify, and it can be something worked on during transit.

Last edited by HotsuSama; Apr 22nd, 2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 10:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Matt approached Elliot after his inspection. “If I may Captain, I would like to discuss with you the results of the ship inspection as well as discuss ship hierarchy and navigation shifts.”He seemed to already have a file pulled up on his compad.
Closed Thread