Old 04-23-2020, 09:03 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9670
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
RPGX Radio: What Topics Interest You?

Yo everyone,

If youíve missed it before now, the RPGX Radio Podcast lives again. I have lots of ideas, but Iím curious what YOU, the community we are in theory doing this for, would like to have us cover. I promise nothing and if you've listened at all, you understand thatís more than I can normally promise! But Iíll at least consider it! So drop your ideas below.

Please note this is for ideas and not guest hosts. That will be something we seek in the future, but for now, letís focus on topics that interest you.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30344
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
So this probably come out of left field when you think of Imveros, but hear me out.

How about we talk about, Shadowrun

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:07 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3408
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
How about we talk about, Shadowrun
I support this notion
Old 04-23-2020, 10:31 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
So explorations of specific systems?
Old 04-24-2020, 09:08 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22575
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
I've been listening to the episodes. They've been very good! Keep it up, guys, it's a great thing you're doing.

I'll think more about topics. If I get more ideas, I'll try to post here. The one that came immediately to mind was something like "OOC communication and coordination". That is, the hard work of talking about...
1) what people like / don't like, want / don't want in a game
2) expectations about pacing and format (few long posts? many short posts?).
3) Solving the disputes that inevitably arise either because of honestly, "should in-character problems be solved in- or out-of-character is a whole huge and important topic, though it's not unique to RPGX or PbPin-character or OOC interactions.

That's partly a question of proper game ad construction (another huge topic for the podcast!) and partly of the day-to-day operation of an ongoing game. I find that people are really reluctant to talk about this stuff, especially once a game starts. Many just bail rather than talk things out. It's also hard to simply find the right words to use to approach these issues. That can be a useful thing to talk about on the podcast.

GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:06 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7314
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
I'll think more about topics. If I get more ideas, I'll try to post here. The one that came immediately to mind was something like "OOC communication and coordination". That is, the hard work of talking about...
1) what people like / don't like, want / don't want in a game
2) expectations about pacing and format (few long posts? many short posts?).
3) Solving the disputes that inevitably arise either because of honestly, "should in-character problems be solved in- or out-of-character is a whole huge and important topic, though it's not unique to RPGX or PbPin-character or OOC interactions.
I second all of these. Incredibly undervalued, or at least under-talked about.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmy View Post
So explorations of specific systems?
Sure. But primarily how well they fit into the PbP format, and what modifications you typically need to make for PbP.

I'd also be interested in interviews with DMs who've had long-running games on this site. Things that went wrong. Things that went right. Why they think their long-running games didn't peter out like so many games do. Amusing anecdotes from their games.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14119
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Yeah, Wynamoinen brings up some fantastic topics that are worth considering.

I think that it might be worth discussing motivation / longevity. Specifically, these kinds of topics come to mind (largely from a GM perspective):
  1. If you're having writer's block, what strategies are there to move past it so the game doesn't flounder and die?
  2. If a game is slowing down, can you identify a cause?
  3. What are some fixes to typical game slow-downs?
  4. When do you decide to cut bait?
Old 04-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
Wyn thanks, I have a lot of those on my list to cover during DMing on PbP but I’ll go back and make sure.

Tel, I’ll put the brain meat to pavement and see if I can find a good way to incorporate that. Perhaps a recurring section....the interviews were for sure something we wanted.

Unko, general writing advice is not really something I considered, it was always in the context of posting, I shall ponder this and keep working on the list.

Thanks for the input so far, no idea is too big or too small! Keep em coming!
Old 04-24-2020, 03:56 PM
AKA HotSatsuma

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4721
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Sure. But primarily how well they fit into the PbP format, and what modifications you typically need to make for PbP.

I'd also be interested in interviews with DMs who've had long-running games on this site. Things that went wrong. Things that went right. Why they think their long-running games didn't peter out like so many games do. Amusing anecdotes from their games.
For what it's worth, the upcoming Explosive Runes will touch on both of these a little bit (at this stage, obviously not all final yet).

But I will always champion ways to talk about system application. Especially when it comes to ideas and concepts for making things smoother for the PbP format.

For what I'd like, maybe a little bit of a DM spotlight segment for narrative? It'd be interesting to hear discussions on getting out of stagnant arcs, managing a party disagreeing with itself, and fun ways to keep players engaged.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:00 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
I'd like to see some discussion on systems you don't typically see on RPGX that people might have an interest in.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 04-24-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:48 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I'd like to see some discussion on systems you don't typically see on RPGX that people might have an interest in.
Do you have examples or was it just an idea? Examples would be very helpful as Iíll just have to put up a poll and try to generate interest otherwise.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30344
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Do you have examples or was it just an idea? Examples would be very helpful as Iíll just have to put up a poll and try to generate interest otherwise.
You could do a whole show on Powered by the Apocalypse Games and I think they are critically underrepresented here.

What more could you want for a play by post game than a system where the GM never rolls, everyone rolls 2d6 for everything, and every roll fails 2-6, partially succeeds on 7-9, and full success on a 10+

Toss onto that all the hacks letting you play anything, and it's a never-ending gold mine!

Dungeon world
Monster Hearts
Epyllion

Are my favorite versions of it. Funny thing is that I got epyllion from the charity drive here

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 04-24-2020, 10:26 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
You could do a whole show on Powered by the Apocalypse Games and I think they are critically underrepresented here.
And poorly understood. I had to back out of a Monster of the Week game here because I simply couldn't get my head around the game mechanics and how the game would actually play. In particular, I was unnerved by how it game-ified certain aspects of play that had traditionally been handled narratively (by GM/player fiat) in RPGs. (If this isn't correct, it'll only give you some idea of how poorly I understood the game!)

Last edited by Telcontar; 04-24-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:00 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Do you have examples or was it just an idea? Examples would be very helpful as I’ll just have to put up a poll and try to generate interest otherwise.
City of Mist and/or Masks for PBTA,
Unknown Armies 2nd Ed
Shadow of the Demon Lord, maybe?
Lancer because mechs are awesome... Plus you can get it on Pay-what-you-want from the devs.
The Witcher TRPG (R.Talsorian's version), because it seems like very few people are actually aware that it exists.
Shadowrun 5E, do it you cowards.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 04-24-2020 at 11:01 PM.