RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7135
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Blood & Tears (Playtest)

Blood & Tears

Blood & Tears
(Playtest)

About the GameThis game will be set in a modified Primeval Thule and will follow my low magic Sword & Sorcery 5e conversion guide called Blood & Tears.

The guide has been through numerous revisions and is ready for live playtesting and player feedback. My goal is to play through at least one (possibly more) short(ish) modules using the conversion rules. If everyone is amenable, we could well transition over to an ongoing episodic structure of adventures (my ultimate goal anyway).

As this is a playtest for a guide that has made substantial (but meaningful) revisions to the core 5e ruleset, players will be expected to be at least generally familiar with its rules. Conversations about the rules during the game are encouraged and may result in changes to the rules during the game session based on that feedback.

The SettingThe setting for Blood & Tears uses most aspects of Primeval Thule, but filters it through a low magic sword & sorcery lens. Some general changes are:
  • All player characters are human, but select a culture and narrative instead of a race
  • Magic is rare, feared by most, and potentially dangerous to the caster
  • While other fantasy races and creatures do exist, they are not common and not often seen
  • Combat is deadly and more technical

Blood & Tears is gritty sword and sorcery. Losing an arm, going mad, becoming disfigured...these are all real possibilities. In addition, the players may encounter mature topics such as slavery, prostitution, and drug use, though they are all presented within the scope of a PG-13 setting.

Character CreationApplications should include:
  • Character Name
  • Description
  • Culture (Everyone selects Human or Human (Variant) race)
  • Narrative
  • Class
  • History
  • Short roleplay sample showing your character in action

Misc. Information
  • Deadline: Applications will be accepted through July 8th
  • Posting Rate: I expect players to be able to make at least two posts per week
  • Percent of combat: 60%
  • Character Sheets: Character sheets are not necessary at this time.
  • How many characters will be selected?: I will be selecting 5 applicants (with a max of only one player from any class)
  • Ability scores are determined by 27-point buy

To help track misc stats, I will be using a Party Tracker

Player Character Name Culture Narrative Class Status
buzzlitebeer Katja Goldeneyes Lomari Katagian Pit Fighter Conqueror WIP
JaredSyn Astrid Nimothan Beast Friend Barbarian Complete
Howling Winds of Myint Kalay Sacred Slayer TBD WIP
AlphaP Phyu Kalay Panjandrum Occultist WIP
Crucius Fahari Lomari TBD Courtier WIP
HalcyonRhys Jharuus Dhari Escaped Slave Nomad WIP

Last edited by Silent Rain; 07-03-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2096
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Posting big time inters in this! Can I just say that your guide looks beautiful (presentation wise). I won't be able to get my actuall app up until probably next week, but man this looks like FUN TIMES AHEAD!

iIf I didn't know any different, I'd swear that WOTC made it! Great job!

Last edited by Howling Winds of; 06-17-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 994
MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus

Last edited by MarsComulus; 06-18-2020 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:35 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 602
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Is there any other source for the document? I've tried and failed to open it with three browsers, on two separate devices.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Placeholder Post to remind me to apply for this game when I get time!
Old 06-17-2020, 04:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
@Kaiya: do you devices have a pdf reading software installed? Adobe is the free one everyone uses. If that answer is yes, and you till can't open the document, then I'm not sure why you are unable to view the document.

Last edited by Howling Winds of; 06-17-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Winds of View Post
@Kaiya: do you devices have a pdf reading software installed? Adobe is the free one everyone uses. If that answer is yes, and you till can't open the document, then I'm not sure why you are unable to view the document.
Yes, I do. Every other PDF works normally.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
Yes, I do. Every other PDF works normally.
Hmm...*shrugs* filing this under Weird Technology Things Wish I could be more hlep!
Old 06-17-2020, 06:00 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Howling Winds of, MarsComulus, and Kaiya, welcome and thanks for the interest.

@Howling Winds of I appreciate the kind words. The Homebrewery takes much of the legwork out of making the pdf look nice. I can't recommend them enough. (Of course, as soon as I say this, their site is glitching out a little and stopped displaying the graphics in the pdf...)

@MarsComulus Thanks for the quick review. I will go through your suggestions later tonight.

@Kaiya I created a pdf and hosted it as a Google Doc and added the link to the initial post along with the original one. It will not contain live updates, but I will strive to update it as often as I can.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:55 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@MarsComulus Here are some answers to your questions and comments:

Proficiency Die - You are correct. I have corrected to d12

Hitting creature unable to move - I agree. Removing the -10 to AC and replacing it with advantage provides an equivalent result and prevents having to recalculate the AC

The Occultist: Spelling correct. Yay proofreading! Correct, there are no spells beyond 6th. Higher spell slots are to empower existing spells.

Damage - The damage in the example is actually referring to negative (critical) damage. There are no death saves, but rather players remain fighting at 0 and begin accumulating critical damage until they hit -10. At that point, they die.

Tireless - Correct, you would not die but need two more additional levels of exhaustion. The nomad has a similar, but weaker, ability.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 994
MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus

Last edited by MarsComulus; 06-18-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
In the vein of constructive critique. I also noticed of a number of hyphenated words where there wasn't a need for it. Also some words were spaced out (as though they might bleed over onto two lines) but did not do so and thus, look a little awkward. I will go back through and find the appropriate pages later, and cite them here.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:12 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
@Kaiya I created a pdf and hosted it as a Google Doc and added the link to the initial post along with the original one. It will not contain live updates, but I will strive to update it as often as I can.
Thanks muchly. Does the Monk class still exist in Thule?
Old 06-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Graphics are back up, so that's good.

@MarsComulus
- I like the idea of adding example names for the cultures. I will add that to the todo list
- Human or Human (Variant)
- 2nd Endurance has been removed. I actually had that ability further down the line, but ended up moving it
- Dodge here is referring to the reworked Dodge action found in the combat section. I will clarify in the description that it is replacing the existing dodge to avoid confusion.

@Howling Winds of Hit me with whatever you got. I will also see if I can find them as well.

@Kaiya No, there are currently no monastic orders in Thule
Old 06-17-2020, 11:09 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83
Levistus
Wow this looks incredible. I'm reading through it now and will start working up an application by the end of the weekend if not sooner And as Howling Winds of already stated, beautiful presentation

So just a couple of questions about available classes:
1. I assume that the only spell casters available in Blood and Tears are the Occultist Class and the Magician archetype for the Courtier. I make this assumption based on the fact that you totally redid the class spell tables into White, Grey, and Black magic (a change I can really get behind by the way).
2. If Wizards, warlocks, sorcerers, clerics, and druids are no longer available (and monks, and possibly paladins), are there any other classes that are off the availability list as well? Or did I mis-read/misconstrue what I took from the redoing of the spell tables?
3. The Tough feat on page 41 of the Blood and Tears supplement is missing...it appears to have been shifted over to a column that partially appears in the top right hand corner of page 41 instead of being on page 42.

I think that's it for now.

Last edited by Levistus; 06-18-2020 at 12:40 AM.