twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2020, 09:47 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
October POTM

It's October... time for goblins and ghosties, and really scary things to come out, and a night at the end where the dead come to life and cross over.

Now, I work with Squeak all year long, so I am used to ungodly horrors that smell like the undead, but that's beside the point. The point is, it's time for YOU to nominate the best game post of the month of October, so we can judge it and declare a winner.

They can't win, if you don't do your job, and nominate them.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:05 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23344
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Nominee: wodine
Game: An Untimely Encounter
System: Shadowrun 5th Edition
GM: Silk
Post Link: here

Reason for Nomination: This post is classic Mowhawk Shadowrun. And wodine admitted that when he was writing it that he realized Quentin Tarantino had done something similar.
The whole post made me smile and as I was in a bad mood at the time I felt it deserved a nomination

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Last edited by Silk; Oct 21st, 2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 11:28 AM
Give it another go

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39006
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Nominee: kymrel
Game: In the Coils of Veles
System: DnD5e
GM: 4eyedBadger
Post Link: >Clickty-click<

Reason(s): I've always a softspot in my heart for unintelligent characters who are quick to misunderstand situations, especially in the heat of battle. Kymrel's Asbjorn is a prime example, ten strangers converge on a single market square under siege and when one player teleports a fallen PC out of harm's way comical misunderstandings ensue. The last line also serves as a wonderful cherry on top

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 02:30 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 70779
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Nominee: Fillyjonk
Game: Rime of the Frostmaiden
System: D&D 5e
GM: LostCheerio
Post Link: Direct Link to Game Post

Background: What do you do when battle erupts on a snowswept plain all around you and you've totally blown your initiative roll? Well, if you're an excitable halfling druid you might wonder about uncomfortable family secrets and why shape-changing has to feel so much like constipation. At least that's what the eager but unproven adventurer Tru does with this gem of a post proving that bad rolls often make for the best role-playing.

Reason: As a story narrative, the writing is superb. With humor and sentiment, it effortlessly encompasses the messy relations of a blended family, class structure, daddy issues and poor focus-placement choices by neophyte adventurers. As a technical game post at the beginning of an adventure, the writing is cleverly introducing key backstory elements of a character, providing signals to other players about this character's intentions and alignment tendencies, and broadcasting clues as to how this character will mechanically assist in the ongoing battle. Well ... maybe it is better to say "could assist" in the upcoming battle, providing she can overcome all the issues and problems she just outlined (and, of course, land some better rolls!)

Last edited by bananabadger; Oct 26th, 2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 01:14 PM
Re-Charging for 2022

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16115
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Nominee: SonofSamWich
Game: Avistan Aid Association: the Darkwatch
System: Pathfinder (1e)
GM: Ziether
Post Link: Magic Button of Thread Teleportation

Background: This post is an opener for SonofSamWich's eccentric intellectual character. The PCs begin the story by receiving a summons from the agency they contract with in the middle of the night, indicating that they should report to a docked ship in short order for an emergency embarkation. None of the PCs are aware of each other's messages, so any acknowledgement of the other characters is left for their arrival at the end.

Reason: SonofSamWich's characterization and internal dialogue in the first half of the post kept me reading with rapt attention. The awkward humor was perfectly placed. Interactions were smooth, and it all really made me understand who Liliana is as a character. Not only do I get a feel for what she thinks, but how she thinks, and it colors the direction of future interactions and makes me anticipate subsequent posts. While I considered nominating another of my players' post, this one stood out as the complete package to me.

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Imagine water to be dry..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26984
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Nominee: bananabadger
Game: Rime of the Frostmaiden
GM: LostCheerio

Background: So Bananabadger's character Oar has been a bit of a thorn in my character's side. My character is kind of a serious ex-soldier and he gets paired up with this Goliath sailor (Army vs. Navy right there...Go Army beat Navy) who doesn't seem to take anything seriously...not...one...thing.

So what do you do when the rest of your allies are fighting for their lives (or at least the grumpy ex-soldier is)? You start reminiscing about shore leave...

Reason: A combat post with flair, with narrative style, with background into the character, and of course the typical Oar personality.

+
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 09:21 PM
Likely up to no good ...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15343
Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie
Nominee: savoylen
Game: Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute
GM: savoylen

Background: The PCs had been engaging with the baddies at a Dublin bar when a bomb went off. Their leader, Presley Long, saves them by pulling on circumstances and obligations deep in in his backstory, possibly condemning himself to eternal torment.

Reason:
Deeply imaginative cross-cultural roleplay and legend building with a riveting description of magical effects.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Oakie; Nov 6th, 2020 at 10:12 PM.
Closed Thread