Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 02:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10756
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Heart of Darkness

This is the OOC thread for the following Characters, with Mindsiege as GM:
Player Character Race and Class
SecretID Jimmy Precariously Half-Elf Hexblade Chainlock and Divine Soul
Purplerook Kosev Kulenov Human Fighter/Wizard (War Wizard)
Sarsprilla Alysha Wood Elf Cleric Warlock
TomBombadil Glanlaniel High-Elf Rogue(Assassin)

Character AC HP Action Status
Jimmy 17 34/34  
Kosev 18 24/24  
Alysha 18 37/37  
Glanlaniel 16 18  

Last edited by purplerook; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 06:45 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6810
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
A happy welcome to my game, everybody! Settle in and feel free to introduce yourselves, this will be the typical OOC thread for metadiscussion and keeping us up to date on the comes and goings that happen to keep us on our toes inside the PbP space.

I am very glad to be given the chance to GM this adventure for you as examplary veterans, it is the first adventure I haven't run from inside a book, but I'm confident with what I have come up with by now. Special thanks go out to purplerook and Trapper, that have helped me to get this on the road as fast as it went.

A few bits to my person, I am a software developer living in europe and thus my posting times will stay roughly inside european time. I'm 27 years old and have been making TTRPG my main hobby since I started with DnD 5e just about a year ago. I'm currently GMing one adventure IRL and have been active on this site for a few months as a player so far. I feel pretty passionate about roleplay, and once again I am looking forward by quite a lot to sharing this game with you!
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 06:47 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
I will proceed to get the game out of the inn as fast as possible and will then make my first post in the IC thread.

Quick question on posting format, since we have quite a few West Marches DM's in this group, secreted text will be useless without a spoilerbutton, did I catch that right?
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 07:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsiege View Post
I will proceed to get the game out of the inn as fast as possible and will then make my first post in the IC thread.

Quick question on posting format, since we have quite a few West Marches DM's in this group, secreted text will be useless without a spoilerbutton, did I catch that right?
@Mindsiege, we are going to have a lot of fun.

And, yes, Spoilerbutton anything you donít want most of us to see.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 09:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Introductions. You all know a bit about me. So, I thought I would share a couple of bits. First something really old. Between High School and University, I spent a year working as an Auto Mechanic and getting a certificate in Automotive Engineering. Second, something really new. I am from the state of Georgia in the United States. We have a pair of elections (run-off elections) for the U.S. Senate. The two people elected will determine the balance of power (Democrat vs. Republican) in our Senate. As a result, our Television is overwhelmed with TV adds about the candidates.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 12:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10875
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Hi all. I prefer to divulge as few facts about myself as possible so I can keep one step ahead of Interpol.

I'm in my third era of RPGing: mostly D&D in the early 80s in my early teens, then some online Champions/Hero System for a few years in the 00s, and now a few very active years here at RPGX, almost all with 5e. I've played a little in person recently too, and I like to listen to different actual play podcasts, mostly Adventure Zone and Critshow. Those shows reflect the tone I generally prefer, serious effort and fairly serious situations, but regular winks to the audience. That said, I've probably had the most fun so far in a very dark Curse of Strahd, which just made the RPGX hall of fame.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 02:15 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2816
TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil
Hi! Thanks for volunteering to be a DM!

A little about me. Got introduced to tabletop RPGs in the early 90s from a friend of mine. Started out playing Marvel RPGs, then progressed to Heroes Unlimited and then from there Dungeons & Dragons. Stopped playing towards the end of high school because I moved as well as most of my friends that I played with moved.

Got back into the hobby in 2018 where I've been playing almost exclusively D&D 5e. Joined this site shortly after. I have 10 characters on here. Only 2 of them my games are paused at the moment, the other 8 are all in games, including this one. On top of that besides DMing here, I have 4 other games that I'm currently DMing for on this site. So yeah, if you're waiting on me feel free to PM me especially if you see I was on because I probably either forgot or thought I posted already lol.

I'm in New York City in the United States and I just got married almost 3 months ago.

Last edited by TomBombadil; Nov 24th, 2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 02:39 AM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1925
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla
Hi, so I am a 25 year old living in Australia and have been roleplaying for about eight years now. First got into in-game roleplay before transitioning to a dedicated roleplay server and forum based roleplay like rpgcrossing. Currently a DM of a pathfinder server on discord with four other dedicated players.

I am also a LARPer as of two years ago and been corrupted by weebness. Anime is life - JK. My warband are japanese samurai themed.

Last edited by Sarsprilla; Nov 24th, 2020 at 02:41 AM.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@All, One of Kosev's weaknesses is No Darkvision. He has a light spell and so can cast it on a sword, or put it into a hooded lantern. If we are going to run around in the Darkness, we should probably chat about preferences.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
@purplerook:
You caught me there!
I was going to bring that topic up as soon as the cards were on the table, but I guess my foreshadowing was enough to spark the debate already.
From my side, I wouldn't mind handwaving vision until it becomes necessary, as long as Kosev brings a hooded lantern and the light cantrip should work as welloil with him. Lifting the hood I would count as a bonus action so I figure there wouldn't be too much loss even when you are surprised and have to spring into action without preparation. Even without that you wouldn't suffer disadvantage as long as you are in melee. To keep both of your hands free, I was going to offer up something else. Ultimately, I didn't want this adventure to punish people without darkvision, but it certainly helps that most of you do have it.

@all:
Still, it's always a good idea to learn your player's preferences, what do the rest of you think about this?

@edit:
Also, glad we got the whole team together now.
I'm happy to get to know you, and again, I am looking forward to playing with everybody and to flex my GMing for this adventure.
Before this I have only put on the GM hat for less experienced groups and I can see hints of the differences already.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Nov 24th, 2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10875
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Yeah, I think you'll find this group to be very tactical.

I have no preference re lighting - Kosev's choice - though Jimmy would check before leaving whether they're likely to be in lots of darkness. Jimmy goes with an imp familiar for darkness and a sprite for light. Either way, I expect to use Tinkerbell (invisible and stealthy) for scouting, well ahead of any light we may be putting out.

PR, I think you cheated yourself a point of AC in the table you posted. And Kosev goes 2-handed instead of sword & board, even when tanking? I thought the main point of War Caster was to allow for the shield. Anyway, Jimmy's always happy to allow someone else the front line.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretID View Post
Yeah, I think you'll find this group to be very tactical.

I have no preference re lighting - Kosev's choice - though Jimmy would check before leaving whether they're likely to be in lots of darkness. Jimmy goes with an imp familiar for darkness and a sprite for light. Either way, I expect to use Tinkerbell (invisible and stealthy) for scouting, well ahead of any light we may be putting out.

PR, I think you cheated yourself a point of AC in the table you posted. And Kosev goes 2-handed instead of sword & board, even when tanking? I thought the main point of War Caster was to allow for the shield. Anyway, Jimmy's always happy to allow someone else the front line.
<Chuckle> AC is the least of Kosev's problems. His AC is 19 (Plate + Defensive) +2(1 reaction, War Wizard) or +5 (1 turn, Shield spell). At a lower level, he used the Great Sword for a bit more damage. However, he does have a Shield and longsword.

I guess that we can rely on Galanlaiel to do damage. I adjusted Kosev to use sword and board - So, AC 21 + 2 or 5.

@Mindsiege, a point of Mechanics on Kosev, as a reaction when getting hit he can either 1) use Arcane Deflection to get +2 AC or cast a Shield Spell to get +5.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
@purplerook:
Yep, I'm familiar with the trade off on war wizards. No leveled spells in the next turn after arcane deflection, right?
I will certainly keep letting you make the choice when to get hit if at all.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Nov 24th, 2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
@purplerook:
You caught me there!
I was going to bring that topic up as soon as the cards were on the table, but I guess my foreshadowing was enough to spark the debate already.
From my side, I wouldn't mind handwaving vision until it becomes necessary, as long as Kosev brings a hooded lantern and the light cantrip should work as welloil with him. Lifting the hood I would count as a bonus action so I figure there wouldn't be too much loss even when you are surprised and have to spring into action without preparation. Even without that you wouldn't suffer disadvantage as long as you are in melee. To keep both of your hands free, I was going to offer up something else. Ultimately, I didn't want this adventure to punish people without darkvision, but it certainly helps that most of you do have it.
I went on and bought a hooded lantern (just in case), but Kosev's go-to strategy is to cast a light spell on a blade. The light is doused until the blade is drawn. The problem with hand-waving vision is 'Dark is Dim' and Dim is -5 perception. Which can be a big issue regarding surprise.

Just make sure that people know whether or not you are applying the -5 perception as it will influence the use of light.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 12:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
@purplerook:
Yep, I'm familiar with the trade off on war wizards. No leveled spells in the next turn after arcane deflection, right?
I will certainly keep letting you make the choice when to get hit if at all.
It is an interesting loophole because casting Shield as a reaction does not impact the ability to cast a leveled spell.