twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2020, 07:33 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 71723
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
January POTM

It's a fresh start, a new year. Why not make a new resolution... to recognize someone who's writing was stellar?

Keep your eyes open in January, and when all your other resolutions are forgotten, remember this one. Nominate someone. It's easy, and it's simple, and it will be one resolution you can keep, all year long.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 10:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8470
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn
Nominee: lostcheerio
Game: Rime of the Frostmaiden
System: DND 5th Edition
GM: lostcheerio
Post Link: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...66#post9020266

Reason for Nomination: Lostcheerio is running Rime of the Frostmaiden for a pretty large group and mixing up a true blend of horror and light and bizarre humor that I think keeps us all on our toes. I'm not sure I'd be able to run a sandbox like she is. This particular post is a great example of how she's keeping a few different story threads moving at once, but more impressive, I think, is the horrible vision she concocts for my barbarian sorcerer Falfen at a seance. He's already had dreams of this spirit earlier in the chapter and now she visits full force.

There are a lot of excellent characters with depth at play in this game, and I'd encourage anyone with time on their hands to follow along.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 07:56 AM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21830
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Nominee: Mushroomslice
Game: New Player Solo Game - The Tower of Newby
System: D&D 5e
GM: Retry
Post Link: Note- This game is private, only reds and NPSG DMs can see. I will post a quote of it below.

Reason: One of my favorite things about being a NPSG DM is I get to see all these budding pbp-players bloom by the end of the module. Mushroomslice is a fantastic story-teller and knows how to keep to what their character might do even when the outcome is less than desired. His rouge, Albascal, was a greenhorned adventurer with a cheery naive outlook on life and was just trying to help out a town in need as his mentor would've wanted. Yet, a tough decision was placed before him and lives were lost because of it. This post shows how his character handled the consequences of his action and lost some of that innocence he held earlier in the adventure.

Old Jan 20th, 2021, 12:40 AM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 60745
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Nominee: In the MIx
Game: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Nominator: C'est moi
Link:
Reason: The PCs have gone to the paradigm-driven city of Automata, just at the edge of the Outlands and on the border to the Nirvana of Mechanus. They decided to ignore the suggestion of their companion and subjected themselves to literally hours of interrogation for the most mundane things, and each player rolled a Skill Challenge to see how well they did. Venicka, a former member of the Cult of the Dragon, was utterly humiliated during her interrogation and this post is the aftermath of that and is wonderfully done. I think so anyway, and now you do too. It's magic.

Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 04:57 AM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19251
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Nominee: Ziether
Game: Carrion Crown (Whispering Light)
GM: Myself
Link: Here
Reason: The legalistic halfling that Ziether portrays has been a stellar contributor through diplomatic and RP-heavy scenes already. Sometimes RP can get heavy, mired in detail or dialogue that ends up being too one-sided, Ziether brings Finneaous Facklebar to life spectacularly with his writing. This post stood out due to the mouth-watering combination of legalities pertinent to the situation and the Golarion lore immersion that Ziether is able to add into his post. Well worthy of recognition!

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Settling into a work pattern. Mid-week is busy, close to weekends, clear for posting
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2599
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Nominee: cottontailwind
Game: Uncaged: Found Family
GM: Wynamoinen
Reason: Wynamoinen's game is what I'd call a 'perfect storm' of roleplaying. Great premise, great DM-ing, and a group of like-minded players pushing themselves to write better and better posts. This came to a head recently, with a series of five posts, any of which could have been nominated for PotM. In the end I chose cottontailwind's post, because of its sheer inventiveness. Cottontailwind created interesting detail for several cultures within the setting, and also created several new NPCs (with the DM's consent, of course).

Last edited by Menzo; Jan 23rd, 2021 at 01:14 AM.
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 04:14 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3666
kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos
Nominee: Still_Pond
Game: Bulldogs - Scavenging the Back Forty
GM: kdtompos
Reason/Context: This is a slightly silly space-opera game, in which the crew has crash landed on an alien moon. There ship is about to be eaten by a leviathan creature that tunnels through the earth, while everyone else runs around trying not to sink into the soil in the process. Anything even slightly curious I throw at this player they have a plausible way of explaining into the fiction, and I'm perpetually impressed by the way they roll with punches and come up with creative ideas.

I nominate this post, above all the other brilliant displays of playing off of others and quirky characterization, because there's so much here at once. Science that I never explained in game is being analyzed and called out. Creative and fun solutions like creating an emetic out of the shuttle that's about to be devoured are proposed, right alongside the robot character pretending to be a ship to be devoured as well or setting self-destruct. And finally, the references to other planets and their environments is made up here entirely whole-cloth.

Glorkuvian didn't exist until this moment. But it will be back.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 06:45 AM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16075
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Nominee: Jennifer
Game: Giants and Beyond
Nominator: Jon

Link: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...35#post9022835

Reason: Endings are difficult things. Particularly in published models in PBP – you can lose months mopping up those last rooms. In this game – the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief - we decided to montage the end sequence … and Jennifer rose to the occasion. There was one pesky room full of manticores left. I had expected some hand-waved sequence of shooting with arrows and magics until the poor souls were dead – but Jennifer brought her trademarked engagement with the detail of the worlds she lived in and empathy for creatures her characters encountered to have her otherworldly elf-druid to tame the beasts and recruit them to guard her forest while she ventures onwards to the Glacial Rift!

The post earned her Inspiration … I hope you agree it’s a good candidate for POTM.

Old Jan 30th, 2021, 11:59 PM
¡Salud, camaradas!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18070
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Nominee: Horseman
Game: Reluctant Heroes
System: Homebrew
GM: Horseman/Rasgorn/Gibbon
Link: The Hero's Return

Background: Reluctant Heroes is an alternative 13th century Europe where more than a dozen RPGx players are developing several storyline threads across the continent with a shared history and lore. In this thread, Horseman is creating the context for characters connected to the Germanic Slav tribes who face pressure from Teutonic Knights, rival tribes and the looming presence of a large empire in the southeast. But amid all these geopolitical forces, life continues, and in this post a 13-year-old boy's entire world revolves around how the tribe and his family will receive him after he stole out with a young friend to hunt the eggs of the gigantic geese who have nested near their village.

Reason: I love the concept of "funnel" adventures ... those often deadly scenarios for zero-level characters who have no skills and must hope that their pluck and their luck will see them through. Narratively, this funnel-adventure ending post beautifully captures the exaltation of a young boy who has lived through his first independent challenge. Mechanically, the post highlights the skills and attributes that this character used in the scenario and that will likely shape how his ability scores will be distributed and what class he will be assigned. The post is a coming-of-age ending; it elevates the tale of a boy and a goose to the dramatic level of a knight and a dragon; it captures the drama of everyday life for simple peasants. You can write a back story, or you can adventure it ... Horseman shows us how fun and rewarding adventuring your backstory can be.

Last edited by bananabadger; Jan 31st, 2021 at 12:26 AM.
Closed Thread