RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 19th, 2021, 09:14 PM
Eternally Snacking Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3615
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Group Text

Welcome to Cold Case Crew!

Here is an OOC thread for all things chatter, communication, and planning.

I’m looking forward to gaming with all of you. Each of you will have a personal thread to be used for brainstorming and to pass you information that only your character would know. Think of it like your personal scratch pad and use it as you see fit. You can find those in the "Personal Threads" folder.

Feel free to poke around the various game threads and familiarize yourself with the layout.

While building characters, please consider your relationship to other party members. Are you best buds, friendly, apprehensive? It's safe to assume that most of you already know each other. While I don't necessarily want a lot of inner-party strife, it's good to know from the getgo how your characters are linked. Feel free to discuss that all here.

Happy crime solving!

Last edited by NightCheese; Feb 10th, 2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6597
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
Hey guys, looking forward to this.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 02:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4597
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
@Anael I was writing up Selena's relationships the same time as you, and I LOVE how in sync they are with eachother considering we haven't talked about it at all lol

@NighCheeseso how did you want to do the stats?

Last edited by Alemar; Feb 10th, 2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
I know! After reading through your submission again it seemed like it'd be a natural response between the two.

I was just gonna roll 4d6 6x but your right he may have some special rules cooked up.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 03:25 PM

Tools
User Statistics
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemar View Post
@Anael I was writing up Selena's relationships the same time as you, and I LOVE how in sync they are with eachother considering we haven't talked about it at all lol

@NighCheeseso how did you want to do the stats?
Let’s roll for stats, if that works for you all. 4d6, keep the highest 3.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 05:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4597
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCheese View Post
Let’s roll for stats, if that works for you all. 4d6, keep the highest 3.
that might be the best baseline stat roll i've ever done......
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
So how are we working weapons, starting gear, money and such? Is what we are carrying going to mimic those items or will we actually get them or not even have them at first until we find some?

What restrictions are there on the magic item?

Last edited by Anael; Feb 10th, 2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6757
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
Hello!

I look forward to rping with everyone! If you have any questions at all about Sydney (Syd to her friends) please let me know. College questions - Did we take classes together? How'd we stick together? Movie nights? Concerts? Running amok in the library? Did we research and dig into a rumor of there being a cult on campus? Did we help each other with term papers and finals? Spring Breaks at Syd's wealthy family's lodge in the woods?

Just ask!

PlaidPeregrine
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 08:47 PM

Tools
User Statistics
@Alemar awesome roll!

@Anael Use whatever starting gear you get according to the PHB. However... you won't have it when we start the game. Please make sure gear is identified on your character sheet, because I'll make sure you're provided the opportunity to "find it" in the game.

You can feel free to add in whatever gear your character would have IRL... For example, Benny would probably have a mic and a boom pole, that we can reskin as a quarterstaff for DnD land. If any of you have ideas for that, please let me know! I'm all for homebrew and the Rule of Cool applies here.

Same goes for spellcasting/cool abilities. You'll be given opportunities to "discover" those, too.

As far as starting gold goes, you won't have much use for it in the beginning. I'm all for you using it to buy better starting gear, though.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 08:49 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaidPeregrine View Post
College questions - Did we take classes together? How'd we stick together? Movie nights? Concerts? Running amok in the library? Did we research and dig into a rumor of there being a cult on campus? Did we help each other with term papers and finals? Spring Breaks at Syd's wealthy family's lodge in the woods?
I'm all for going with whatever you all decide for this. I look at this game as much yours as it is mine. Imagine away!

All I ask is that you all be in college somewhere within a couple days' driving distance to NM. So... California, Nevada, anywhere in the Southwest, probably.
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 01:25 AM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
College Ideas

Hello!

I was thinking about how we all met and got into this Podcast (and Youtube channel maybe!). Since we may be in life/death/scorpions dancing on our heads types of situations, I'm just throwing this out there. Take it as you will

I took TV Production in college and it was a small group of students with various backgrounds - We had people who wanted to focus on script-wring, others who wanted to work on the graphics, another for production sound mixing, and then the camera people, etc (class was actually in a studio setting on campus). So I was thinking about organic ways we would have met and bonded, more or less - Benny, being a Music Production major, could have easily have taken a TV Production class to learn how to use the sound board/mixer in that environment. Cade would probably have taken a TV Production class, being a rising star.

I've sent message to Benny's player about his character's ability to move heavy furniture/boxes/etc because some of us can't get a sofa up the stairs easily, on or off campus and he's such a nice guy...and being a damsel in distress...you know the drill.

I have a feeling that Selena knows a bit about Research and libraries, and how to find things for papers and such. Maybe she will expand on the mystery about her character.

And Syd, she probably tutored Physics 101, Bio, and Chem to anyone's friend of a friend who really needed to pass a midterm or hand in a really, really important paper. She also, like Cade, is just friendly, nice and helpful. Needed a ride to the airport for Winter Break and you're a friend of a friend, and it's dire, and a 4am flight and your car burst into flame? Eh. Maybe.

That's it. Those are some potential hooks I'm throwing out there.

And for NightCheese: You said we possibly could buy equipment. If Syd heard that someone wanted to shoot video along with the Podcast...She may have picked up a couple of smartphone lenses, tripod, microphone, etc. Budget of 1K, even $800. would cover a lot, except for a fancy laptop. Please let me know if this is possible. Also if we could have a little pseudodragon to act as a drone for a camera, that'd be appreciated.

And as to note leave Paul the real adult out: I'm wondering how he likes us pesky, nosy, danger-seeking 20-nothings stomping around his grounds. I hope he doesn't give us a ticket for parking near a cave.

Thank you all for reading. Love brainstorming.

Last edited by PlaidPeregrine; Feb 11th, 2021 at 01:29 AM.
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 01:12 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaidPeregrine View Post

And for NightCheese: You said we possibly could buy equipment. If Syd heard that someone wanted to shoot video along with the Podcast...She may have picked up a couple of smartphone lenses, tripod, microphone, etc. Budget of 1K, even $800. would cover a lot, except for a fancy laptop. Please let me know if this is possible. Also if we could have a little pseudodragon to act as a drone for a camera, that'd be appreciated.
Yes to video gear, but I think I draw the line at pseudodragon, lol. Maybe you'll come across a homunculus if you play your cards right...
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
I could see Cade in class with everyone. I even put in his intro that at some point maybe they placed an ad looking for people as well that he responded to as he may not have automatically started talking to everyone in the group.

It's probably not a great idea but I was thinking of rolling randomly for the spells Cade starts with. It seems almost fitting going into this blind rather than me picking what I think would be the best fit.
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5898
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Hey, just popping in to say hello. Really looking forward to this game with you all! Working on rolling up my character now... See you out there!
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 03:03 AM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
University

Hello!

Just to clarify and/or throw it out there - Cade, Benny, and Selena - we probably were all Freshman at the same time. Probably in a couple of the same required classes, like English Literature 101, and Western Civilizations/History 102. Maybe we'd do a dramatic read (or listen), just for entertainment value, of Twelfth Night, or watch the great movie (cough) Beowulf instead of just read it. Maybe Syd would convince someone to get together for pizza-wings-movie-night after the last final is finished for the year. Hoping for little memories for all of us because who knows what we're going to be facing on the other side (and we have a cop tailing us...).

That's all. I'm now going to ask for my magic item to be a travel mug of neverending vanilla lattes.

Cheers!