RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 9th, 2021, 11:06 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 748
Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693
Phantoms of Mars

Calling All Barsoomians and Jasoomians!

Game NamePhantoms of Mars
Game SystemJohn Carter of Mars: Adventures on the Dying World of Barsoom
ThemeHeroic Fantasy
FlavourPulp Adventure
Plot Summary"Kaor, Barsoomians and Jasoomians! It is the dawn of an era in which something that has not existed for millennia on Barsoom returns. For the first time in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of ords, hope for the future has become common among the peoples of many diverse nations.

The war between Helium and Zodanga has been over for many ords and Helium has established peaceful diplomatic relations with many other nations throughout Barsoom. Issus has been exposed as a fraudulent goddess, and the Therns and their depraved religion have been brought low. No longer do Barsoomians make the long pilgrimage down the River Iss seeking eternal peace, only to meet a grisly fate, slavery at best, or torture and eventual death at worst. Airships are no longer lost with all their crew in the frozen north.

Trade and diplomatic relations now exist between numerous nations and a grand alliance has been forged that stretches from the frozen north to the subterranean ocean in the south, with all member nations united under the leadership and inspiration of John Carter, Jeddak of Jeddaks and Warlord of Barsoom. While there are still plenty of unexplored regions that are no doubt full of dangers, no longer does death maintain its ever-present shadow over all Barsoom. An unprecedented era of peace and prosperity seems to have dawned on Barsoom.

On the advice of John Carter, the many nations in the grand alliance have created a corps composed of volunteers gathered from all over Barsoom who will crew ships donated from the member nations’ navies. This new corps and its navy are dedicated to patrolling the farms lining the network of canals in the region surrounding the atmosphere plant to begin with and then later expanding to farms all over Barsoom, as well as monitoring the atmosphere plant itself, to further secure the peace and prosperity that have recently emerged throughout the many nations of the alliance.

The farms are key to the continued survival of millions of Barsoomians, and the farms remain vulnerable to attack owing to their long and narrow configuration. Further, despite its formidable defenses, the atmosphere plant is vulnerable to attack during the changing of staff, necessary maintenance, and restocking of provisions, and the Warhoon Horde is never that far away. While they have not made any attacks on the plant, the Warhoons have continued to resist any and all diplomatic overtures from Helium or any of the other nations and continue stubbornly to live in their traditional ways, raiding and pillaging nearby communities and farms and shooting down airships passing through their territory. Additionally, while there is a tentative peace between Helium and Zodanga, relations are cordial at best and there is much resentment and fear throughout Zodanga about the large alliance that has developed between Helium, Ptarth, Kaol, Gathol, the Thark Horde, Omean, Kadabra, and recently, Manator, Duhor, Phundahl, and even some of the ghastly Kaldanes with their Rykors from Bantoom, all brought about or inspired by John Carter.

Some other nations of Red Barsoomians are rumored to continue to oppose the alliance as well, maintaining their faith in Issus and resenting the blasphemous atrocities against their religion, although there is no open opposition from Zodanga or any other nation as yet. Further, there are whispers of dissatisfied factions of First Born, Therns and Okarians who seek vengeance against John Carter for the social upheaval he has caused and who desire the dissolution of all the alliances he has forged. Thus, the creation of the patrol corps, strengthening the grand alliance and protecting the sources of food and air.

You are all volunteers in the patrol corps serving towards the end of the second ord in a two ord tour. You are enjoying each other’s company and relaxing on a flier frigate..."

General InformationThis campaign is designed for 3-6 characters and will use the John Carter of Mars: Adventures on the Dying World of Barsoom 2d20 Core Rules and supplemental material. The campaign will be composed of published material from the Quickstart, the Core Rules adventure, and the Phantoms of Mars campaign book. This campaign is set later in the Jeddak of Jeddaks era, so players are free to create characters from any race. I have the Core Rules and all three supplement books; the Dotar Sojat era, the Prince of Helium era, and the Jeddak of Jeddaks era, along with the Narrator Toolkit. John Carter of Mars is a version of the 2d20 system that has much lighter rules than other 2d20 systems like Robert E. Howard's Conan, Star Trek Adventures, and Mutant Chronicles. New and experienced players are welcome. The Player's Guide is beneficial but not necessary. The Quick Start available on DriveThurRPG has enough of the rules for players in this campaign.

If you have read the rules, you know that John Carter of Mars is an RPG in which players are expected to contribute significant details to the narrative structure which the Narrator (GM) then is expected to incorporate. Please don’t feel bound by my descriptions when you are writing your actions. Include what you want to include. It could be another character or the commander of the airship, etc. Remember, you can contribute details to the narrative. If you want your character to be leaning against the guard rail above deck, don’t worry that I did not specifically write “there is a guard rail running around the upper deck.” Describe what your character is doing and with whom and feel free to add scenery and even NPCs. Regarding NPCs, you can make them as vague or detailed as you want, including assigning one or more specific attributes. I will finish remaining important details for the new NPC and incorporate them into the campaign in some fashion.

Below is a partial character template players can use to apply.

Character Template for JCOMName-
Attributes-
Cunning: - Daring: - Empathy: -
Might: - Passion: - Reason: -
Race-
Archetype-
Descriptor-
Flaw-
What You Know-
What You Don’t Know-
What You Can Do-
Talents-

Posting Rate: Someone asked about the posting rate, so I thought I should add my expectations about that. This would be the first time I am trying this in any other format than face to face. I am thinking 2-3 posts per week.

Player Character Race Archetype Status
DB Cowboy Benjamin Hobbs Jasoomian Soldier Complete
UnderDarkLord Kalla Morel Mixed Heritage: Okar/Red Martian Envoy Complete
Shula G'han Hagus Red Martian Assassin Complete
- - - - -
- - - - -
- - - - -

You can access the Game thread here.

You can access the Character Template thread here.

You can access the General Information thread here.

You can access the OOC Discussion Forum here.

Starting Date: TBD. The application process will be open until there are 3-6 player characters ready to begin.

Official Character Sheets and Quick Start Rules can be downloaded for free at DriveThruRPG.com.

Last edited by Candide3693; Mar 13th, 2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Improving Advertising Post Using Some Feedback
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 09:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 239
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
I've enjoyed the John Carter RPG, I'm running the adventure from the main rulebook on another site to try to learn the system. Would love to actually play. What info are you looking for from applicants?
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 10:21 AM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCowboy View Post
I've enjoyed the John Carter RPG, I'm running the adventure from the main rulebook on another site to try to learn the system. Would love to actually play. What info are you looking for from applicants?
Hello,
I apologize for any confusion with my advertisement. As far as player information, I am not really sure. I want people interested in playing John Carter of Mars and willing to commit to posting at least three times per week, but other than that, I am just hoping to get enough players to actually run the campaign. As I am new to the site and this is my first time as the game master for play by forum, I would also like players that will be forgiving of me as I learn the ropes on RPGCrossing. I am familiar with John Carter and have been running a campaign for my local gaming group, so players are pretty free with character creation. Hope this answers your question.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 08:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Awesome. As you can possibly tell from my post count I'm pretty new to this site as well. Hopefully there are others here who enjoy John Carter and would like to give it a go. I've had fun running my game; I think it's a great RPG.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 09:08 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
I agree. It is my favorite of the 2d20 RPGs, and is becoming one of my favorites out of all my RPGs. I appreciate the lighter rules compared to Conan or Star Trek, but can still enjoy the 2d20 combat system. The players in my local gaming group had a hard time understanding that not every hit would do damage but are now really enjoying playing PCs in the Phantoms of Mars campaign, although my wife still laments the lack of treasure. She always plays a thief when we play D&D 5e or AD&D (I still have all my 1st edition collection).
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 02:57 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 255
The Pirate Batman The Pirate Batman The Pirate Batman
I'd love to join!
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pirate Batman View Post
I'd love to join!
Great to hear! Hopefully we will be able to start soon.
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 09:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Howdy PB!

Have you play John Carter before? Any thoughts on type of character you're interested in?
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I own the rulebook, but haven't had a chance to play yet. I was thinking of playing a Red Martian Airship Officer. She's a privateer (historically, a pirate with papers. Privateers were private individuals commissioned by governments to carry out quasi-military activities) working for someone to be determined by the game, basically a pirate being paid to take out enemy ships and claim their cargo. Would that fit in?
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 12:08 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I own the rulebook, but haven't had a chance to play yet. I was thinking of playing a Red Martian Airship Officer. She's a privateer (historically, a pirate with papers. Privateers were private individuals commissioned by governments to carry out quasi-military activities) working for someone to be determined by the game, basically a pirate being paid to take out enemy ships and claim their cargo. Would that fit in?
This character could work in the campaign if she could be a reformed or reassigned privateer serving in the patrol corps as that will be the starting point for the campaign.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
That would be fine. Can we say that she was recruited because she knows the area or has some prior knowledge of potential trouble spots?
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 02:01 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
That would be fine. Can we say that she was recruited because she knows the area or has some prior knowledge of potential trouble spots?
Yes, I can incorporate that into the campaign, and will provide details when appropriate. She will have some specific knowledge about a location and people operating in it. I will send you notes to include for your backstory.
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Great!
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 09:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
My original idea was for an Envoy with a bodyguard (just use the Canny Red Matian Envoy on p33 but maybe change to First Born). Perhaps he is visiting the group when things begin.

But a Red Martian pirate as a cohort....hmmm. I'm thinking a Rogue might be interesting. He could even be Jasoomian.

Decisions...
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 10:02 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCowboy View Post
My original idea was for an Envoy with a bodyguard (just use the Canny Red Matian Envoy on p33 but maybe change to First Born). Perhaps he is visiting the group when things begin.

But a Red Martian pirate as a cohort....hmmm. I'm thinking a Rogue might be interesting. He could even be Jasoomian.

Decisions...
You could even create your own archetype; +2 bonuses to two attributes, a grade 1 talent, and a list of what is known and what can be done. If you have the Jeddak of Jeddaks supplement there are a number of hybrids beyond the Red Barsoomian/Jasoomian in the core rules; Okarian/Jasoomian, FirstBorn/Jasoomian, Thern/Jasoomian, First Born/Thern, First Born/Okarian, etc.