Other Gala Event at Chateau Meilleurmont (The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Mar 4th, 2021, 09:33 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 748
Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693
Gala Event at Chateau Meilleurmont (The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen)

Welcome One and All!
I entreat you to join with me in honoring the passing of our Great Friend and Patron,
The Esteemed Baron Hieronymus Karl Friedrich von Munchhausen.
You are cordially invited to a gala event featuring a story-telling competition.
All are welcome to enter and each will cast a vote in the judging.
Repondez, s’il vous plait
Cordially yours,
Mathieu Cheverault, Marquis de Chateau Meilleurmont
Game NameGala Event at Chateau Meilleurmont

Game SystemThe Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen

ThemeSocial Interaction/Roleplaying

FlavourStorytelling

Plot Summary The great adventurer Baron Munchausen has recently passed on to a higher existence. As you well know, the Baron, wanting his tradition of grand adventuring and exploration to continue after his passing, initiated an ongoing correspondence between like-minded individuals he had met during his travels; thence the origins of the first global social club, The Extraordinary Adventurers Society, of which we are all esteemed members in good standing. I propose that we gather to celebrate his passing with a grand competition. We shall all regale the party with an adventure, and then all vote on who has related the most extraordinary adventure of the evening. That person shall take home the purse! Come prepared, as you will not get to decide on your own adventure. Instead, you will be asked by one of the other esteemed nobles to tell us about an adventure from your history of their choosing. For example, once, while dining with Baron Munchausen, I turned to him and asked, My Dear Baron, please won't you please tell us of the time you rode a cannonball across a battlefield because your noble steed was nowhere to be found and you had need to capture the opposing general to end the battle?

Thus prompted, each of the attendees shall spin their yarn. Upon conclusion of an individual's tale, it shall then be their duty to select the next storyteller. When the Baron had concluded his tale at my request, he returned the favor by asking for a tale of my own. Having now concluded mine own tale, my Dear Marquis, perhaps you will now be so good as to bewilder us with the tale of your ascension to the peaks of the Andes in winter to view the Christmas star from atop its peaks?

General InformationThe Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen is role playing game only in the loosest sense. Here is a brief example/description from a recent post.

Game Description/ExampleEssentially, players create a somewhat ludicrous member of the nobility as their character. Players then sit, drink, and tell each other tall tales, prompted by another player, one player at a time. For example, I might say to you in character, My Dear Marquis of Whatever Your Character is Named, regale us with the tale of your exploits that time you rescued the Princess of Ariba. You would then have to create a tale on that subject. While one player is telling their story, other players try to insert outrageous details or objections into the narrative of the player spinning their yarn. For example, a character might interject during another character's story of ascending to the highest peaks of a mountain range and seeing the Christmas Star, But my dear Marquis, I know for a fact that you could not have been traveling up the Andes mountains at Christmas, as you were in attendance at the Royal Panmir of Phunkat's daughter's Christmas party halfway round the world at that very time! Each player has tokens equal to the number of players, and when someone interjects, they toss a token in. The storyteller also puts in a token, at which point the two debate which was correct until one concedes. For example, the storyteller might respond, Surely, my Dear Baron, you will remember that the Royal Panmir's daughter holds her Christmas party at the beginning of December and not the end in order to plan for the private family Christmas? Plenty of time to reach the Andes, to which the other player might respond, Yes, My Dear Marquis, but that year the family Christmas was cancelled, and the party moved back owing to the birth of the Royal Panmir's grandson, and so on, until one player concedes the point and the other collects both tokens. Once all players have finished their stories, players vote on who has told the best story using the tokens.

The rules are a bit more involved than that, but not much. Players would need to create a character for the party, but there are no dice rolls required. Just a name, a title, a description, a biography, and some adventures to relate to the group. Below is a sample character sheet for the host.

Character Example
right-aligned image
Mathieu Cheverault

Title: Marquis de Chateau Meilleurmont

Description: Mathieu Cheverault is a thin man of medium height with pale green eyes and dirty blond hair that hangs limply from beneath his tri-point hat. Mathieu dresses in flamboyant and colorful clothes that are meant to evoke an image of a pirate. In addition to his black tri-point hat, he sports a wide scarlet sash from which hangs his cutlass and single shot pistol, black Puritan shoes with checkered calf socks, blue pantaloons, and a white peasant shirt over which is a vibrant green coat.

Brief Biography: The third son of a minor noble in the northwest of France, Mathieu Cheverault is a vain and spoiled man with little regard for anyone expect those he considers social equals. Imperious towards those he considers beneath him, he is warm and jovial with those considered equals and is a bit of a bootlicker to anyone he perceives to have higher status. He inherited the family title and estate when a tragic accident took his parents and older siblings while they were on vacation in England. Rumors surrounded him for years regarding the suspicious circumstances of his family's collective and convenient death. Mathieu attempts to present himself as a noble explorer and believes he is generally successful. He constantly references his exploits during casual conversation, and it takes very little to encourage him to launch into an extended story about one of his "adventures." He will interpret almost any words or gestures as a request to elaborate on whichever of his largely fictionalized "experiences" from his past he had referenced in conversation. He remains blissfully unaware of how foolish and vainglorious he appears to his neighbors, who tolerate him and his ridiculous tales and attend his numerous parties only because of his inherited wealth.

Posting RateSomeone asked about the posting rate, so I thought I should add my expectations about that. This would be the first time I am trying this in any other format than face to face. The posting rate for players would probably vary based on whether you were the story teller or not, or whether you had inserted an objection or addition into the story of another player. I am thinking twice per week if you are the story teller, responding within a day or two if you want to interject into someone else's story, and then the other players would just keep up until their turn came and they had a story requested by another player. I think the story should be divided into three parts for posting. Post an opening and wait for interjections for three days, post the middle and wait for three days for anyone to interject, and then post the conclusion and wait for any final interjections. I will wait until the third day to interject into anyone else's story, and then I will do so to move the story along. It is important to remember that there should only be one interjection in any break. It does not have to be the same character interjecting all three times, but only one character should try to raise an objection or make an addition in any one break. Interjections will require some additional postings, but that is the general schedule of posting I had in mind.

Player Character Title Status
Candide3693 Mathieu Cheverault Marquis de Chateau Meilleurmont Complete
Amarga Sullivan Conray Honorable Colonel Complete
Crimson Winnifred Halifax Viscount of Sorth Weast Figmenton Complete
bothers - - Interest
Wonderbeast Beatrice Beauregard d'Bourgeoisie III Baronesse de la Maison de Chat Rose Complete
- - - -

You can access the Game thread here.

You can access the Character Template thread here.

You can access the OOC Discussion Forum here.

Starting Date: TBD. The application process will be open until there are 3-6 player characters ready to begin.

Last edited by Candide3693; Mar 26th, 2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 11:29 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10660
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
What would the expected posting rate be for this game?
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 05:35 AM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693 Candide3693
Honestly, I am not really sure. This would be the first time I am trying this in any other format than face to face. It would probably vary based on whether you were the story teller or not, or whether you had inserted into the story of another player. I am thinking twice per week if you are the story teller, responding within a day or two if you want to interject, and then the other players would just keep up until their turn came and they had a story requested by another player. I think the story should be divided into three parts for posting. Post an opening and wait for interjections for three days, post the middle and wait for three days for anyone to interject, and then post the conclusion, wait for any interjections. Interjections will require some additional postings, but that is the general schedule of posting I had in mind.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2718
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
As you already know, I'm happy to play. Will have a character ready later today.

Previously known as "Crimson 0M3N".
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 12:16 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Great! Looking forward to it. The Marquis de Chateau Meilleurmont can't wait to ask about some of your character's exploits.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 01:35 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2254
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
Posting Interest and should have something whipped up before wednesday
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
The Colonel
right-aligned image

Name: Sullivan Conray
Title: The Honorable Colonel Sullivan Conray,

Description: Sullivan Conray is an older, english gentleman of large, solid build. His eyes are a brown so dark as to almost be black, and he has little hair to speak of on his head or body. Instead, almost as numerous as the hair on the head of other men, Colonel Sullivan Conray is coated in a seemingly complete mass of scars. He is dressed in his much loved dress uniform, with puffed tan trousers, a khaki military tunic which is belted at the waist and covered in medals of common and obscure variety alike, a pair of high quality yet worn riding boots, a rimmed broderick cap, a pair of leather fencing gloves and an eyepatch.

Brief Biography: Born the second son and youngest child of the impoverished family of the Earl of a minor estate in northern England, Colonel Conray had much in the way of choice for his life. The Colonel had always been a violently happy youth, and as such found himself joining the military. Throughout his military career, the Colonel always found himself with the worst of the best luck, being placed again and again into perilous situations beyond any hope. Yet he was always among the few that survived somehow, escaping with nothing more than another set of vicious scars and a chucklesome story to tell. When military life grew less exciting, the Colonel used his experience to join in adventurous expeditions, earning yet more scars and what he considered to be “Jolly Tales of Daring”.
It is not unusual for listeners to wince or cringe at the brutality of some of the Colonel's tales, while he remains in his perpetual state of mood that one gentleman dubbed, “Jolly in a Way That Allows No Argument.”

Last edited by Amarga; Mar 8th, 2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
I lied I whipped something up already, been reading some old novels and had inspiration hit
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Great character!
"You are most welcome to the gala, my dear Colonel Conray! We cannot wait to hear some of your exploits on the battlefield!"

Last edited by Candide3693; Mar 5th, 2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 06:33 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Character TemplateName: Winnifred Halifax

Title: Viscount of Sorth Weast Figmenton

Description: An energetic individual, Winnifred (or "Winnie", for short) scarcely ever seems to sit down. In social settings, he paces back and fourth in the room as a caged lion might, never sitting still until sleep overtakes him (during which, he claims, he sleeps with one eye open). The man is unusually muscular for someone so late into their middle age. Winnifred's once-blonde hair is now mostly gray, retaining only the barest hint of its former coloration. Abundant facial hair obscures his mouth even when he speaks, though his enormous handlebar moustache becomes quite animated on such occasions. The Viscount favors clothing similar in style to what he wears on his "expeditions"; A sturdy hat, a simple shirt with long sleeves covered in a many-pocketed vest, breeches loose enough to allow free movement, and knee-high boots. He is often spotted polishing an already spotless monocle, and he has a habit of carrying a comically huge "knife" with him wherever he goes (closer in length to a shortsword, truth be told).

Brief Biography: Though well into his 50's, the Viscount shows no obvious signs of slowing down. Having recently returned triumphantly from a whaling trip, Winnifred boasts of many similar adventures over his long adventuring career. His mansion in Figmenton is notably lacking in the gold and silver common to many nobles and courtiers, however it is resplendent in exotic woods, ivories, and taxidermied wildlife brought back by the huntsman himself.

Try as he might, Winnifred cannot dispel the persistent rumors circulating in high society, which allege that his "expeditions" amount to little more than sight-seeing trips. It is said that the Viscount's trophies are a result of squandering the Halifax fortune on the auctions of black-market poachers, no less. Winnie poo-poohs such notions, proudly claiming to do all of his poaching personally.

Old Mar 5th, 2021, 09:50 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Looks great!!
"I have been looking forward to your arrival, my dear Viscount! So many hunts! The great Ourobouros expedition, hunting the massive Kachhapa, the Leviathan excursion..."

Last edited by Candide3693; Mar 5th, 2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 09:52 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
Feel free to post your characters to the character thread. There is a link in the first post of this ad.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 11:15 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
On it. Thanks for letting the Viscount in!

Old Mar 5th, 2021, 11:40 PM
Kaor!

Tools
User Statistics
You are welcome! Feel free to begin working on your first post, which is your character introducing himself to the other guests at the party. Please don't post it yet, but you can get it ready. You can find more information in the game thread. There's a link in the first post of the ad.
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 12:44 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
The Viscount will be ready to pounce, so don't fret