Game Thread The Plausible Deniability Adventure - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 22nd, 2024
RPXP: 34855
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 28,170
The Plausible Deniability Adventure

Adventure BeginsDespite being known as the City of Sails, Luskan is anything but the romantic fairytale images that this moniker may invoke. The city is dirty and a variety of gangs run the streets. If it wasn’t for the Ships, the city would be completely lawless. That isn’t to say that the Ships always follow any logical set of laws. The only thing keeping the street gangs from completely running amok is that the Ships are really large bands of pirates themselves.

The Ships are five different flotillas of pirates that essentially run what stands for government in Luskan. For the most part, the Ships do a good job of keeping the city functional but some of the more common laws that one would expect seem to be mercurial. Each Ship is run by a High Captain and there is a pecking order as to which Ship is above the others. Each ship either controls or is in charge of something in the city, if not both.

Each of the High Captains appoints a magistrate to Luskan’s courts. Typically, criminals are seen by a single magistrate, but for cases involving a member of one of the Ships, all five magistrates are called upon. Laws are surprisingly average, considering that the city is basically run by brigands and pirates. Things, such as slavery, are technically illegal in Luskan, but there are many cases where this can be overlooked.

Bribery is a common form of subverting the law and can be used for anything from getting a favorable decision in the courts by a magistrate to getting the town guard to “convince” the local gang to stop stealing from your warehouse. Unlike other cities on the Sword Coast, which all have some form of bribery, there is no real need to hide it in Luskan. Sliding a pouch full of coin under a table is more of a form of etiquette rather than a requirement. Openly bribing a
member of Ship Baram so that your tavern can get a better deal on fish will be looked down upon, while openly bribing a member of the city guard to avoid arrest, in front of witnesses, is seen as business as usual.

Located on Luskan’s North Bank, about four city blocks east of Mirabar Shield, sits the Greenwater Trading Lodge. This building was originally the Red Dragon Trading Lodge, but the Red Dragon Trading Company ceased operation sometime before 1483 DR. Somehow, in the last ten years, Throa Taerl had gained the deed to the property and sold
it to Aust Brightwood of Greenwater Mercantile and Adventuring Company.

The trading lodge sits in its own compound and has numerous facilities for the mercantile business. A warehouse and a stable, complete with a wheelwright’s shop, stand in the compound. A third building operates as a bunkhouse for mercenaries and employees hired by Greenwater. The base floor of the trading lodge contains a guild hall, with a tavern, and a shop that specializes in selling common adventuring gear. The domed upper floor consists of the lodgekeeper’s office and guest rooms for Greenwater management when they stay in Luskan.

You have been hired by a growing merchant company named Greenwater Mercantile and Adventuring Company. Greenwater has recently acquired a new shipping office and merchant ship in the city of Luskan, on the North Bank, just outside the Mirabar Shield district. This property deal was brokered between Aust Brightwood, a shareholder of Greenwater, and Throa Taerl, High Captain of Ship Taerl. As part of the deal, and to sweeten the pot, Throa Taerl included an exclusive overland shipping contract with many cities along The Long Road from Mirabar to Waterdeep. There were other provisions and stipulations in this deal, the the overland shipping contract is the part that pertains to you.

It is early morning and you are greeted with breakfast in the common area on the 2nd floor of the Lodge main building.

Serving you is the young woman who runs the Guild Hall, Ginny Rosanbaum. Rumor is that the 19 yr old beauty is an ex-prostitute from the streets of South Bank.
Ready to address you is Liam Bartoleme, looking more like a guard than a manager. He assists Ginny with cooking and running the general store downstairs.
You greeted both of them last night when you arrived and they showed each or you to your room here.

Once all of you are present, he speaks.

"Good morning everyone. You each know why you are here and have agreed to sign on to this new enterprise, The Greenwater Mercantile and Adventuring Company.
I've got the papers laid out for each of you in noted as '5b' on the map attachedthe office there, and as Aust, Mr. Brightwood, can't be here, I'm to make sure you all sign and be on your way.
The agreement is ten gold a day for your troubles during your journey to Red Larch and back when you return.
Upon successful completion of getting trade moving again for the company on The Long Road, you'll each become partners and receive a 12% share of monthly profits."

He pauses to look all of you over wondering what you did to deserve such an offer.

"Course, you'll have to both be successful and return to get all that's due to you.
Now, once you're ready, I'm to read to aloud to you who your contacts are, five in total in Red Larch. These folk are all part of an alliance of five who profit from the overland trade as well.
Due to the secrecy of all this - meaning none of those big city folk in Waterdeep, Neverwinter, and on and on, know about the route and trade in kind - you'll keep discussions to yourselves and to the five contacts. Anyone else asks, you're freelance adventurers. So, you're to memorize the folk I read to you about and never write anything down.
As always, whatever you gain along the way is yours, but no raiding the traders on The Long Road. That goes without sayin'.
Once you've finished your meals, and are ready, I'll tell you how you're to travel to Red Larch, and give you the names and identities of your contacts."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GreenTradingCompanyHQ.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	90480  
__________________
Posting Status: Decent - If a reply is needed from me either in a game I am in as a player or as a DM/GM, please send me a PM.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Apr 5th, 2021 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 08:14 PM
Saratek's Avatar
Saratek Saratek is offline
Ret.
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 7th, 2023
RPXP: 20643
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posts: 14,227
Shin Jiang
Shou Human Way of Life Force Monk

As the sun peeked over the horizon in the East, Shin Jiang was already awake and balanced on one foot in the crest of the lodge's roof. Balanced on one foot, he extended a hand out towards the sun as he kept balance by raising the opposing foot. Clothed in light-colored, neutral-toned robes, a sword looking more like a short, darkly-stained, wooden walking stick us slung across his back. His satchel, of just a slightly darker color than his robes thanks to all of the travel it has seen, as well as a bow and full quiver, hung precariously from the corner of an awning just below where he's perched. Having greeted the morning, Jiang brings his feet together before offering the celestial body a deep bow.

Walking in the front door, all of his gear slung over his shoulder, Jiang greets the young woman that runs the guild hall with a warm smile. Giving her a quick peck on the cheek as he moved past her, "Morning, Ginny. Apple?" he asked as he paused and caused a bright, shiny apple to pop out from behind his shoulder to land in his open palm. He doesn't give the woman more than a moment to decide before he flips it in the air to her. The two had met several times before in passing, but this marked the first occasion where one could say the two 'shared business'.

Offering the manager a much less warm look, Jiang's smile reappears at the last moment as his voice comes brightly, but still rigid, "Liam." Waving off the woman as she moves to pick up a plate for the monk, the dark-haired, bronze-hued-complexioned man snatches up his own plate and heads over to one of the tables to take a seat and begin eating. It seemed he was the first to arrive in the main hall, which was not a surprise to him.

As each of the others arrive, he sets his utensils down and stands halfway up to extend a hand and warm smile in greeting; introducing himself as, "Shin Jiang," but gently correcting, "Just call me Jiang," should anyone refer to him by his family name.

Once all were gathered and those that arrived late finished up their meals, Jiang had moved to the corner of the room to lean with one hand on the scabbarded sword. He listened carefully as Liam spoke, but became distracted in the middle of it. Eyes following a tiny insect scurrying along a mantle on the wall, he moves swiftly to snatch up the tiny cricket. As his gaze returned to the brutish manager, the monk produced a small, wooden box from within his robes. Sliding it open, he dropped the cricket in with a chirp before quickly sliding the box closed.

The only thought that came to Jiang's mind as the man spoke was how generous, and large a twelve percent stake was. Aust Brightwood must be desperate to offer such, but as the man looked across the small collection of characters in the room, he was beginning to suspect that the Greenwater shareholder knew exactly what he was doing with such an offer. This was certainly not a group consisting of the normal brigands, but a group that mostly seemed to carry a certain notoriety with each member.

 
__________________
So long, and thanks for all the fish ~Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 25801
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,358
Erle 'Coal' Coaltimber
right-aligned image
Coal woke and opened one eye, the first light of false dawn barely illuminating the room. He assessed the situation, decided he was not at all sure why any sane person would be up that early, and immediately resolved to go back to sleep on grounds that he was sane.

The attempt was defeated by Geist hooting at the window. The fey owl took care of its own meals and exercise by night (which Coal considered highly economical) but sadly could not be convinced to keep anything like reasonable hours. Coal, by contrast, preferred to stay up late reading, but also liked to make up for that by keeping his head down until at least noon; he meant to install an owl door to reduce the schedule conflict when he had some leisure time. The gnome slid out from under the blankets to open a window and let the creature in, and the near-permanent chill of morning in Luskan awakened him just enough to remember that he was supposed to be somewhere. Reluctantly, he refrained from diving back into bed and allowed his train of thought to begin moving.

Ah yes. Greenwater. Lodge. Adventuring. Hired. Free breakfast. At least one of those things was important, maybe even two. Coal ran through his morning routine in a slight hurry, splashing water on his face, waxing his mustache and beard, dressing to appear sagely and impeccably inconspicuous, and reviewing the events of yesterday in his head. After agreeing to the hire, he'd nipped out to pick up an inexpensive book on adventuring and stayed up reading it until quite late. It had turned out to be very unsatisfactory; endless passages about riding around on horses and heroically rescuing folk in distress, absolutely no practical advice on compensation or where to find skilled barbers and reliable laundry services while traveling. Coal suspected the author rarely got out of his house. He dismissed the book from his mind, took up his pack and staff, grabbed the now snoring owl off the bedpost and stuck it on his shoulder, and followed the smell of food.

The Greenwater folk were already there tending to breakfast, as was the monkish fellow. He seemed to be a regrettably morning sort of person, but it never did to be discourteous. "Good morning, good morning. Jiang, was it? Erle Coaltimber, please just call me Coal." He tipped his cap to Ginny and Liam, then tossed his pack onto a chair, vaulted onto the pack, and turned most of his attention to a plate of wonderfully free food while more adventurers filtered in and Liam droned on about paperwork. A few words stood out and brought him fully awake in an instant. "...ten gold a day...12% share of monthly profits...whatever you gain along the way is yours..."

Coal replied "Rmph!" Fortunately his mouth was full of food, as it prevented him from saying You must be utterly desperate! He thought better of that by the time he'd finished the bite. "You can rely on our total discretion."


 


 


 

Last edited by Corwin; Apr 6th, 2021 at 12:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 12:56 AM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 22nd, 2024
RPXP: 10633
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 5,327
Davlan Lightwillow
right-aligned image

Groaning slightly as he plunks himself down onto a stool, you see a lean halfling man with curly brown hair sticking out all over the place and red rimmed brown eyes. He has thick muttonchops on a boyishly handsome face which does not appear to be pleased to be presently awake. He wears a well oiled suit of leather armor with twin bandoleers across his chest, each holding several daggers. Over his shoulders is a beautiful scarlet cloak with gold trim that is clasped around his neck with a pair of large silver buttons. Around his waist is a leather belt from which hangs a pouch, and his feet are bare and rather large for his size, with thick tufts of curly brown hair on the top of his feet. Grabbing a biscuit with his right hand, he begins chewing on it with his eyes partially closed as his left hand drums his fingers on the table and his feet swing back and forth on the high stool.

He does not react to much being said initially - until he hears about the twelve percent. His eyes pop open and he seems to sober up a bit more quickly. Throwing his most polite smile towards Liam and says "No worries, friend, our lips are sealed. Go on and tell us the folks when you're good and ready." He has a friendly and warm tone to his voice, which does not seem to suit his boyish appearance.


 


 
__________________
02/26/24 - New position and personal real estate work is keeping me busy, please PM me if I am running behind.

Last edited by Grouchy; Apr 6th, 2021 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 01:08 AM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is offline
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2024
RPXP: 21630
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 9,197

Erlan had spent the night in the woods north of Luskan, as was often his want, though this morning he packed his things with the dawn light as he prepared to venture into the city. It was not that he disliked the city, in fact, quite the opposite was true. The city offered an incredible amount of sights and sounds to be seen, between the various ships coming and going and the bustling port with all manner of folk to speak with. Erlan chose to sleep in the woods because he simply disliked sleeping in the city. In fact, he found it odd that anyone would intentionally choose to spend the night enclosed in a small room, more than likely smelling of Titania knows what, instead of laying out under the stars, falling asleep to the smells of the cool night air. In this respect, he still found the inhabitants of the Prime, strange.

Erlan entered the city through the North Gate and made his way back across the River Mirabar and to the Greenwater Trading Lodge. There was more than one person that stopped what they were doing to stare at Erlan. He had come to realize that creatures of the Feywild were not a common sight here and rabbitfolk even more so. He did his best to assuage any concerns with a warm smile and cheery demeanor, though even then, many in the city were still hesitant to speak with him.

Few things escaped Erlan's notice, and the man he noticed perched atop the guild house roof was one of them. He thought of shouting up to him, but thought better of it in case he distracted him and caused him to fall.

Upon entering, Erlan was ushered up to a large room on the 2nd floor, where tables for eating were arranged. Once such table was already set with various items and, as luck would have it, seated at the table was the man he had seen on the roof.

As he approached the table, the man stood and introduced himself as Shin Jiang, though asked to just be called Jiang.

"Hi Jiang, my name's Erlan. Pleasure to meet you. Why were you standing on the roof before? Were you looking for something, he asked as he took a seat at the table."

As the others came in, Erlan greeted each enthusiastically. "Hello. Hi. I'm Erlan."



 

Last edited by Silent Rain; Apr 6th, 2021 at 01:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Jab Burrwalky's Avatar
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky is offline
Daytime Denizen
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2021
RPXP: 602
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Posts: 501
Riordan the Thief
right-aligned image

Riordan woke early. He always did. He seemed to acquire the elven lack of need for sleep with the human desire for lots of it. It made for a frustrating nightly existence. He roused himself and rubbed the bleariness from his eyes and shook his hair out. He tied it back with a simple black cord and donned his simple clothing. His armor and weapons, and went outside for a bit of fresh air. He wondered around the yard for a while, enjoying the calm and quiet before the business of the day began.

Once he saw the Monk climb the roof, pose, and descend back down, he decided it might be time to start heading in. He took a few more moments to enjoy the cool of the morning before going in to breakfast. After heading inside, he saw that others were already up and about. He nodded to Liam and took his seat. He'd heard the monk introduce himself as something like "John" or "Jean," but not quite. He was about to ask for clarification when he was greeted by... a rabbit? He'd seen odd things in his life, run with half orcs and demon-men at times. But this was new.

"Eh, hail and well met, stranger. Erlan you say? I am Riordan, pleased to meet you." "

He was about to inquire further when Liam began speaking. he klistneed attentively. 12% interest in the compnay... that sounded too good to be true. And perhaps like a trap. But... Riordan's options at this point were limited. And if it was in fact an honest offer, that would provide a nice leg-up in establishing his own network of underground business dealings... this just might be his big break. The gnome and the halfling spoke first, but Riordan though it appropriate to concur with their sentiments. "Indeed, Mr. Liam, this request is certainly not out of the ordinary in my line of work. I am, as I have oft been told, all ears," Riordan flicked his own, decidedly elven ears in self-deprecating humor and waited for the descriptions.

Last edited by Jab Burrwalky; Apr 6th, 2021 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 02:37 PM
Saratek's Avatar
Saratek Saratek is offline
Ret.
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 7th, 2023
RPXP: 20643
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posts: 14,227
Shin Jiang
Shou Human Way of Life Force Monk

"Coal it will be then," Jiang replies to the gnome with a smile.

The halfling didn't return anything regarding his greeting, leaving Jiang momentarily frowning.

"Erlan. It's a name that fits you. As for my activities on the roof, I was practicing my taolu; forms practiced as part of my meditation. I do it every morning and like to greet the sunrise with such. If we are to be traveling together, you will see it quite often." Despite his Master's preaching about keeping the mysteries of his Oath secret, Jiang felt no need to explain such trivial things to others, especially when those others would evidently be regularly traveling companions of his.

The half-elf received the same greeting, but an inquisitive look crossed his brow as if he was about to ask a question when the appearance of Erlan derailed any chance to. Jiang grinned at the way the rabbitfolk set Riardon off-balance, snatching the man's attention completely. While some might have been put off by the sight of a humanoid rabbit, Luskan was a place where racism seemed to be almost an afterthought, with only a man's skills being of importance. Jiang had seen many races in his time in the city, even a few other Shou.

 
__________________
So long, and thanks for all the fish ~Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 10:33 PM
Master of Monsters's Avatar
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters is offline
Is it nap time yet?
Hall of Fame DM 2012
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 29th, 2023
RPXP: 5685
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Posts: 5,920

”More money is made before breakfast than the rest of the day combined” Jared’s words echoed through Trever’s mind. His father had been on the young man’s mind for the past several weeks as he made his way back to Luscan. It was a tiring journey, but just a few days Trever had made it home, and had gotten his hands back on what meager resources he had left. The events of the last month or so had been the most trying time of the young sailors life, but he tried not to dwell when the tide of life turned. The tides would turn again, they always do, and Trever would be in position to fully take advantage of this fact.

It took a few very careful bribes, and more then one threat to get in contact with the Greenwater Mercantile and Adventuring Company, but it was probably the best thing that has happen since Trever drug himself out of the sea just south of Waterdeep. Greenwater could not hold a candle to the sheer amount of cargo that Vonwilliamsail Transport was able to invoice and their ships were not even as close as grand as Trever’s lost beloved ship, the Ocean Mist. On the other hand; there was not reward on the heads of everyone involved with Greenwater.

Greenwater Mercantile and Adventuring Company would do; for now.

Snapping from his thoughts, Trever realized that the sun has since broken the horizon and breakfast would soon be served. The handsome young sailor took a moment to check his appearance. His straight wispy brown hair was in place if maybe a bit long for the normal style in Luscan. A thin mustache adorned Trever’s top lip and was paired with a small goatee on the point of his chin. Both were meretriciously groomed, leading many to wonder how many hours Trever spent on hygiene each day.

A crisp snow white linen shirt flowed seamlessly over the curves and ripples of Trever’s shoulders, arms and back, but was left open all except the bottom few buttons. Over the top of his undershirt, Trever wore a blue coat, adorned with leather straps and large brass buttons. Simple navy blue trousers were tucked into sturdy leather boots; the outfit of a sensible (he thought) sailor. To round out the entire ensemble, Trever wore a silky ocean blue cloak open around his shoulders that flowed as Trever moved, reacting to the motions as if made from woven water.

Pleased with how he was presenting himself, Trever made his way into the dinning hall. Trever was quickly met by a small assembly of men who he assumed was also signed to the same position as he. Approaching a young man that reminded Trever of his lost elven companion and mentor, Trever extended his hand for a very firm practiced hand shake. ”My pleasure to make your acquaintance, Jiang. I am Tr…” Trever paused and berated himself for the slip up; ”this would take some getting used to…” Trever covered up his slip up with a half hearted obviously fake cough. ”Excuse me! As I was saying my name is Javad.”

Not waiting to give the man time to respond, Trever broke away and moved to set at an empty table. Taking a moment to quickly scan the crowd, Trever took a moment to note the group around him. Then with a brief smile he raised a single hand to signal the server and called out his order ”Yes, I would like a leg of Rabbit or what ever fresh game you may have. I would also like to pair that with some gnomish curd and some honeytack if you have it, you know that lovely sweet biscuit that Halflings are so known for? Yes that. I think if you could round that off with some of your finest elven wine and I think that should do me for the morning” With that called out loud enough for all to hear, Trever paused and waiting for his companions reactions, while pretending to be oblivious of those around him.
__________________
As a DM: Lichy Business /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 1 /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 2 || Up Next as DM: Little to no activity over weekend Enjoy your 4th.
As a Player: Guild Battle /|\ The Closing Calamity in the Crags: Group 2 || Misc Endeavors: Monster Den /|\ Writers Block /|\ Team Up

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Apr 6th, 2021 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:03 PM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 22nd, 2024
RPXP: 10633
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 5,327
Davlan Lightwillow
right-aligned image

Though his head is still throbbing, Davlan is beginning to become more aware of the others and his sense of humor quickly hones in on the young man who just joined them. Especially when he places his order and the situation presents itself as all too perfect.

Leaning forward to Javad, Davlan whispers and loudly says "Oi! Where's your matters, mate? You just ordered a chunk of a relative of one of our investors here!" He motions towards Erlan and continues in his loud whisper "Bad manners to be snacking on someone's grandpaw right in front of him, eh?" He grins mischievously as he leans back, picking up a fork near his hand and
Dice Sleight of Hand check to perform with the fork:
1d20+8 (12)+8 Total = 20
rapidly spinning it back and forth in his hand in an impressively fast fashion.


 


 
__________________
02/26/24 - New position and personal real estate work is keeping me busy, please PM me if I am running behind.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:26 PM
Master of Monsters's Avatar
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters is offline
Is it nap time yet?
Hall of Fame DM 2012
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 29th, 2023
RPXP: 5685
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Posts: 5,920

Trever had to fight back his smirk as someone was quick to point out his ‘faux pas’. It was obviously a intended remark, but Trever pasted a surprised look on his face nevertheless

"Oh my word! I never did notice. Well, I would invite him to eat a human, I would not mind! The only problem is, humans are not nearly as tasty as rabbits are; so I am unsure if he would enjoy his meals as much as I will mine!" Trever said this with a casual smile at his ‘joke’, and gave a slight wave of his hand to include the large rabbit residing not far from where he now sat.
__________________
As a DM: Lichy Business /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 1 /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 2 || Up Next as DM: Little to no activity over weekend Enjoy your 4th.
As a Player: Guild Battle /|\ The Closing Calamity in the Crags: Group 2 || Misc Endeavors: Monster Den /|\ Writers Block /|\ Team Up

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Apr 6th, 2021 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:50 AM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 25801
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,358
Erle 'Coal' Coaltimber
right-aligned image
Coal greeted the others and introduced himslef as they made their ways in, committing their names to memory out of habit even as he would soon be memorizing Liam's list of contacts. "Davlan, greetings...Well met, Erlan...Riordan, a pleasure." The group was shaping up nicely until the final arrival. Whether in the the deepest gnome hole or the finest wizard schools of Neverwinter, there was always one who thought highly of themselves. No harm in that, Coal thought, as they gave themselves so far to fall and eventually drove away any who might be willing to catch them before they hit bottom.

"A good morning to you, Tur Javad. Am I pronouncing that correctly? Do please excuse me if I have made an error." He nudged his familiar awake. Remember that one for the future, Geist. He requires no aid.


 


 


 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 07:51 AM
Saratek's Avatar
Saratek Saratek is offline
Ret.
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 7th, 2023
RPXP: 20643
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posts: 14,227
Shin Jiang
Shou Human Way of Life Force Monk

Grinning brightly at the man, "It's forgiven, Javad. The fog of sleep doesn't clear as quickly from everyone. It is a pleasure to meet you." Jiang had taken note of the mistake but thought little of it. It wasn't as if he hadn't slipped and called himself by the wrong name in the past. Living in such places as Luskan often required one to be duplicitous to survive. Listening to the man's demands, however, caused an amused smile to come to the monk's face. While Ginny had always been a gracious host, he didn't see the man's particular requests going over well, especially as he glanced around to notice all of the others had nearly identical plates.

What followed was an interesting conversation between Javad and the halfling who hadn't had the manners to introduce himself. Turning his attention first to the halfling, "What's worse manners is you correcting him when you have not the manners to properly introduce yourself."

Jiang's eyes then turned to Javad, "And I wouldn't say that about human. The key to meat, even human meat, is the preparation. Human must be seasoned heavily and roasted slowly. It actually has a lot of benefits. Some believe you can gain some of the strength of a powerful foe by eating his liver, heart, kidneys, and so forth. If you be so willing to eat something similar to our new partner Erlan there, then I see no reason for you to decline meat of your own kind in the future," he said with a smile. The way the Shou spoke about preparing and eating human meat didn't have the characteristic notes that would leave one to be a joke, but rather as if he was casually informing and persuading Javad to partake in the future.

It was then that Coal's words caught the monk's attention, causing him to look at the gnome before quickly moving his gaze to the halfling, "So you two know each other?" he asked earnestly, moving an extended finger quickly back and forth between the two. "It's good to know what to call you, Davlan, as we move forward. I hadn't expected you small-folk to always be familiar with one another, as that seemed presumptuous, but it seems this time I was wrong."

 
__________________
So long, and thanks for all the fish ~Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Jab Burrwalky's Avatar
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky is offline
Daytime Denizen
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2021
RPXP: 602
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Posts: 501
Riordan the Thief
right-aligned image


Riordan chuckled at the sailor's performance. "That'll have to be watered-down wine, I'm afraid," he called out in response. He was glad to see there was some humor in this group.

After Jiang had spoken, Riordan retorted, "So, a monk and a preacher. Will we be enduring your sarcastic lectures on etiquette and propriety during this entire venture or only when we start having too much fun?"

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Saratek's Avatar
Saratek Saratek is offline
Ret.
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 7th, 2023
RPXP: 20643
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posts: 14,227
Shin Jiang
Shou Human Way of Life Force Monk

Riordan's words caused Jiang to look at him dumbfoundedly, "...What did I say that made you believe I was being sarcastic in any way?"

"Davlin had not introduced himself. I thought it might be size-ist to believe the gnome and the halfling would automatically know each other. And as far as eating human meat, various groups have their own traditions or beliefs. An orc doesn't turn away from roasted elf when it's presented, so why would one turn down the flesh of one that can speak if tradition for the people you're with? I've been told that those who spend their lives in the forests, eating only that which has grazed upon the land, are actually far tastier than those that have eaten the flesh of animals raised within a fence's borders."

"I don't doubt that there are sailors walking the docks of Luskan right now that know what their former shipmates' tasted like. Should one get lost at sea or find themselves in other desolate circumstances, basic instincts and the desire for survival become much more important than etiquette. A creature will do anything to survive when desperate enough."

 
__________________
So long, and thanks for all the fish ~Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 22nd, 2024
RPXP: 34855
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 28,170
Adventure BeginsGinny had taken the apple from Jiang with a practiced smile, but then put it with the rest of the fruit on the table.

Ginny and Liam just bring in drinks and clear plates and food when need be until everyone is done, or almost done.
After saying what he had to say, Liam just watches and listens to everyone, drinking some apple cider.

More and more the comments and remarks, especially those on eating human flesh have him staring with mouth open in a bit of shock. He finally says, "What the frak? Who hired these... people? It's like a gathering of the least likely-"


Ginny slaps him on the bicep with the back of her hand from her position beside him.
She simply says, "Finish up with your duties."
This made it clear that here at the Hall she was his superior, especially after his quiet nod.

He cleared his throat and continued. "Now, listen up so I can say what needs to be said and you can be on your way. First. The Current secret verbal handshake for operatives and merchants who wish to keep their involvement unknown to others is this. You ask this specific question. Do you sell coconut from that small Isle off the Coast of Amn?

Their response should be, No, but I think trader Joe does. What's the fair price these days?

To which you must respond, Forty-two. This three part question and answer protects both sides. Don't forget it, and don't mess it up or you'll get no help and maybe a blade in your gut.

Now, to your contacts in Red Larch which is where you'll be going. Each of these will have information as to why the contract isn't currently being honored, and why trade has been halted.
In short, there's trouble in Red Larch. Seems the inhabitants of Red Larch, and more importantly our brokers, have become so frightened by the recent “dark doings” that rather than showing typical frontier reticence, they helpfully babble about everything they’ve seen and heard and do nothing about it. You are to investigate and put an end to the current troubles, and once done, get confirmation from our representatives there that trading will resume for our company along the Long Road.

The Contacts in the town are as follows:"
 


Do you have all that? Remember, do not write it down, keep it in memory.

Now, come in to the office one by one and sign the contract and you can be on your way.

You're to meet those who will transport you at Red Larch southeast of the city. Memorize the location, the map stays and I'll burn it once you leave."


He points to a map he just laid down at the end of the table. It shows some landmarks and the location seems to be a small clearing in a dense section of the forest a few miles out of town.

__________________
Posting Status: Decent - If a reply is needed from me either in a game I am in as a player or as a DM/GM, please send me a PM.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Apr 7th, 2021 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB